Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Having Couture healthy would be so, so good especially if Smith ends up signing this summer. Couture could play LW on Smith’s line, take the left side faceoffs for him, and support him defensively when necessary. Plus, he’s smart and skilled enough to work with Smith.

Couture sort of irritated me through his Sharks tenure but I’ve really grown to like the person he’s grown into and for his sake and ours, I’d love to have him back and healthy. I also like him as a guy who can bridge the Joe era with the new era, show them the habits of those stars, etc.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Trying to plan a roster for this team next year and I genuinely wonder how we’re going to reach the cap floor. Even with Couture, Granlund, Vlasic, and Vanecek healthy and on the roster and Kunin/Thrun/Emberson re-signed at generous numbers, we’re not even close. With Labanc, Hoffman, Zadina, and Barabanov off the books, that’s over $10M we’ll have to spend to make up for it.

I’d love to see a top tier vet come in for a big cap hit but three or less years.

Reactions: Gecklund

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm like super committed to the idea of dropping 5-5.5m on each of Demelo and Dillon. Not sure about forwards. Maybe go after Wennberg and Arvidsson? Could be affordable gambles

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
What's the penalty for not hitting the floor? It seems like getting FAs to hit the floor might be difficult. Maybe they get some vets on 1 year deals that didn't find good enough offers? That or take on some cap dumps for more draft capital. Granlund is a prime example of a dump no one wanted but turned out very useful. Target those guys

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm like super committed to the idea of dropping 5-5.5m on each of Demelo and Dillon. Not sure about forwards. Maybe go after Wennberg and Arvidsson? Could be affordable gambles
I’d love to get those two back. Another great target would be Alexandre Carrier from Nashville if they don’t re-sign him. Solid middle-pairing defensive RHD, I think he could be a good partner for Mukhamadullin. Only 28 to start next season so I’d be willing to give him five years.

If we don’t get Celebrini, I’m okay letting the likes of Bordeleau, Kostin, Graf, Gushchin, etc. battle it out for middle-six wing spots. If we do, I’d like to sign a veteran running partner for him.

I think those two are brought back.
Grier said today that we aren’t re-signing Barabanov. I see no reason to re-sign Zadina when we have a bunch of small offense-only wingers we need to test out. I’d rather let Gushchin have a chance to win a roster spot than just give it to Zadina.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think if Zadina isn’t wanted back, Grier would’ve mentioned him.
Unlike the three Grier mentioned, Zadina is an RFA. He’s technically under Sharks control even without a contract. You wouldn’t just announce you aren’t going to qualify an RFA at the locker clean out interview, that’s completely different from three guys you never have to talk to again.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Unlike the three Grier mentioned, Zadina is an RFA. He’s technically under Sharks control even without a contract. You wouldn’t just announce you aren’t going to qualify an RFA at the locker clean out interview, that’s completely different from three guys you never have to talk to again.
I knew that, I wasn’t thinking, your clarity is appreciated.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
After listening to Grier's media availability, I think it's pretty clear Kunin and Zadina are coming back while Hoffman, Barabanov, Labanc and Cooley won't be. Grier also doesn't sound optimistic about Couture playing again. He expects to have news on Smith "in a few days" but unclear in which direction.

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Kostin - Smith - Kunin
Zadina - Sturm -

Ferraro - Benning
Vlasic - Rutta
Thrun - Emberson
Burroughs

Blackwood
Vanecek

Assuming Smith signs, there really aren't that many roster spots available. Barring a bunch of unexpected trades or buyouts, I wouldn't expect many additions this offseason.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
After listening to Grier's media availability, I think it's pretty clear Kunin and Zadina are coming back while Hoffman, Barabanov, Labanc and Cooley won't be. Grier also doesn't sound optimistic about Couture playing again. He expects to have news on Smith "in a few days" but unclear in which direction.

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Kostin - Smith - Kunin
Zadina - Sturm -

Ferraro - Benning
Vlasic - Rutta
Thrun - Emberson
Burroughs

Blackwood
Vanecek

Assuming Smith signs, there really aren't that many roster spots available. Barring a bunch of unexpected trades or buyouts, I wouldn't expect many additions this offseason.
How is that team hitting the cap floor?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
How is that team hitting the cap floor?
Overpay Zadina and Kunin - let's say $7 million combined AAV on 2-year deals - then find a way to spend ~$17 million on the final 6 forward spots. Maybe this is where the Goodrow cap dump comes in.

• Haha

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Overpay Zadina and Kunin - let's say $7 million combined AAV on 2-year deals - then find a way to spend ~$17 million on the final 6 forward spots. Maybe this is where the Goodrow cap dump comes in.
Just because we can overpay them doesn’t mean we should. You should be disciplined in your own internal cap structure even when you don’t need to. Spending $7M for two guys who scored 23 points in 72 games and 18 points in 77 games is just disgusting.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Just because we can overpay them doesn’t mean we should. You should be disciplined in your own internal cap structure even when you don’t need to. Spending $7M for two guys who scored 23 points in 72 games and 18 points in 77 games is just disgusting.
Kunin has a $3M QO plus deserves a little extra for his intangibles like leadership and being a day one loyalist to the Grier regime. Zadina should be made whole for the contract he terminated with Detroit, it's just the right thing to do. Then split like $20 million between 6 forwards and you're at the floor.

We'll probably bring in a couple of middle six guys but Grier went out of his way to say "this offseason or next" when asked about adding players. It also doesn't make any sense to add a NHL defenseman without subtracting one.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Zadina should be made whole for the contract he terminated with Detroit, it's just the right thing to do.
This is the last thing that should happen. This is the thinking that got Labanc his contract. Part of the business of pro sports contracts is taking risks, and proving your worth. There has to be consequences to those risks or you lose the incentive to perform.

Reactions: themelkman

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Kunin has a $3M QO plus deserves a little extra for his intangibles like leadership and being a day one loyalist to the Grier regime. Zadina should be made whole for the contract he terminated with Detroit, it's just the right thing to do. Then split like $20 million between 6 forwards and you're at the floor.

We'll probably bring in a couple of middle six guys but Grier went out of his way to say "this offseason or next" when asked about adding players. It also doesn't make any sense to add a NHL defenseman without subtracting one.
Giving Kunin $3M is gross but I do expect it to happen. However, I don’t think the Sharks owe Zadina anything. He brings nothing to the table that would make me want him taking ice time that could be used to finally make a determination if Bordeleau/Gushchin/Cardwell/even Graf are worth keeping long-term. I don’t consider any of those players anything close to “core”, but those are the guys who we “owe” opportunities to. Not Zadina.

I would be shopping Burroughs and Ferraro heavily. I’d take futures for Burroughs, I don’t want to ever watch him play hockey ever again—if he can’t be moved, waive him. Ferraro might be able to fetch an early 2nd from Utah or something. Then we’d have room to sign a real NHL defenseman.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
This is the last thing that should happen. This is the thinking that got Labanc his contract. Part of the business of pro sports contracts is taking risks, and proving your worth. There has to be consequences to those risks or you lose the incentive to perform.
You think Athanasiou, Foligno and Dickinson would get the contracts they signed with Chicago anywhere else? This is part of the reality of being a rebuilding team post-teardown. Might as well overpay someone who deserves it like Zadina. It sends a positive message to any future UFAs too.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I don’t hate re-signing Zadina but I would prefer to see Gushchin, Bordeleau, even Cardwell over him at this point. Is he really worth it for us as a 4th line skill player? I don’t know.

I also absolutely need the defense reshaped next year. Our group is just terrible - we need to make room for Muhk, first of all, and actual NHL defenseman in at least one or two other spots. I can’t handle the sight of the current guys. They anger me. To quote Clue, “flames… in the side of my head… burning.. etc”

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I don't see a reason to keep Zadina, the worst case scenario is that Gushchin or Robins replicates his performance and we don't resign them next summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad