Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I'm gonna argue that Ben eager, the psychopath, was the most effective goon we had. If you want a deterrent, you need someone who is completely unpredictable when they're gonna blow their lid

I think Scott Parker takes the cake for psychopath…

Torrey Mitchell was blue balls personified. Those highlight reel goals were amazing and then the rest of the season he would have stone hands.

Torrey was really fun to watch when he first got into the lineup (despite the blue balls). I wonder if he would’ve had a better career without the leg break.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Torrey was really fun to watch when he first got into the lineup (despite the blue balls). I wonder if he would’ve had a better career without the leg break.
I loved Torrey Mitchell. Before the leg break i was certain he would be a Shark for life and a franchise guy. That turned out to be Pavs, but Mitchell was the man
Torrey Mitchell is an interesting player for me. For years, I thought he was the type of guy the Sharks should have more of on the fourth line...speedy, skilled, very good defensively. I was disappointed when the Sharks moved on from him. The rumor at the time was that he was not great in the room, which seemed suspect, to say the least. Only to hear, years later, that his "sunny personality" rubbed teammates the wrong way...which, I have some narratives in my head about, but I wonder about an actual instance of how this could look.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Torrey Mitchell is an interesting player for me. For years, I thought he was the type of guy the Sharks should have more of on the fourth line...speedy, skilled, very good defensively. I was disappointed when the Sharks moved on from him. The rumor at the time was that he was not great in the room, which seemed suspect, to say the least. Only to hear, years later, that his "sunny personality" rubbed teammates the wrong way...which, I have some narratives in my head about, but I wonder about an actual instance of how this could look.
Have you heard the story from Roenick about him pranking Seto and Torrey? Sounded to me like they were liked by some in that room, though Roenick isn't the beacon you want young players flocking too....He and Seto were close so maybe the Sharks doing him dirty made TM not want to resign?

I had the same hopes for Mitchell too. I really think breaking his leg tanked his development curve as the type of player you outlined. Sad

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Have you heard the story from Roenick about him pranking Seto and Torrey? Sounded to me like they were liked by some in that room, though Roenick isn't the beacon you want young players flocking too....He and Seto were close so maybe the Sharks doing him dirty made TM not want to resign?

I had the same hopes for Mitchell too. I really think breaking his leg tanked his development curve as the type of player you outlined. Sad

That prank was so brutal. It’s funny as a story but to be a kid in that situation was undoubtedly traumatizing.

That team was interesting, I think that despite having a laid back reputation, Thornton could be pretty intense with younger guys and I suspect that if he didn’t like them for whatever reason, he made life pretty unhappy for them.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
You guys are missing Link
I miss him every day. Hence the profile photo.

Yeah, no idea. I had an ex teammate who played college hockey with him and said he was an extremely hard worker, good teammate, good dude who made some suspect decisions off-ice (won't say more so as to avoid any mod action). Torrey was the kind of player who would have been a top liner if he DIDN'T have the finishing/inconsistency problems he had. And I agree with those who said his leg break really hindered development.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

Teammates not liking a "sunny personality" sounds like he was fine with losing

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I think Torrey got a lot of money to play 4th line in MN so he was out of here. San Jose couldn't afford him.

I never heard anything about other players not liking him. I met him once and he is a nice fellow.

I didn't like that Torrey couldn't seem to win a puck battle on the boards. Also wasn't very physical. A misfit for 4th liner job I think. But not enough skill to be 3rd liner consistently.

Teammates not liking a "sunny personality" sounds like he was fine with losing
Probably means he wasn't on cocaine or drunk.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I feel like I’ve seen this sentiment from Grier lately too. It’s obvious they’ve got significant plans for this offseason — I think they’re going to be pretty aggressive in starting to put together an actual, like, team. Though I’m VERY curious to see what that means — prospects? Trades? FA signings? How aggressive? etc. But there’s no doubt they’ve got some ideas for next year. Sometimes I even wonder if Grier has had prelim talks with FAs or teams for summer trades.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
They want to take a "step forward" this off-season and I think they will try, but also there's very little chance we will be better than bottom 3 next year. A big step still includes major holes in the top 6 and the top 4. We have decent goaltending but that can come and go.

I'm good with the plan, and it'll be interesting to see where we go in the off-season and at the draft. But "turn around here quickly" I think is more of an emotional sentiment.

I am happy we're still in the rebuild honeymoon and not the phase of rebuild Anaheim seems to be in, which is, "oh God, they're ruining the prospects and we still suck." Hopefully we draft well enough to be there in about 2 years!

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
We need to rebuild the entire defence until we're competitive again. That will take some time.

I like the idea of next year looking like:

Eklund-Celebrini-X (Maybe Kostin; some big guy to add size to the line and shoot)
Granlund-Smith-Zetterlund
Bordeleau/Guschin-X(Sturm?)-Graf
4th liners as you will

Ferraro-Benning
Muhkamadulin-X(some guy who shouldn't be here)
Thrun-Thompson
Vlasic

That would give us a lot of young players to watch. Would still be a bottom-5 team, but at least we could cheer for some players.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Haven't seen this posted that I can remember since most people seem to be focused on using in house talent to fill out the roster for next season and beyond, but who might make sense from a UFA perspective this summer?

Based on the Quinn quote and what I assume is a similar thought process from Grier, curious who people would want to see as possible UFA signings to bring in some folks to help out some of the young guys who might be in the NHL next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad