Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If Couture is done, it'd be nice to get another legitimate top-6 center so that Smith/Celebrini could be sheltered.

In any case, it would be great to get an experienced top-4 defenseman. I wonder if the Sharks could make Columbus pay to take Gudbranson off their hands.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If we can convince Toffoli to sign here by offering him the Killorn contract...

Kostin - Granlund - Zetterlund
Eklund - Smith - Toffoli
Musty - Sturm - Kunin
Zadina - Carpenter - Bailey

Ferraro - Emberson
Vlasic - Benning
Mukhamadullin - Rutta

Blackwood
Vanecek

Still bad enough to land a top five pick but with enough insulation to protect Smith, Mukhamadullin and Musty if he makes it past 9 games.
There is no way to fix this but let our guys grow but shit without Hertl and Couture this team is week old hot dog water.

Reactions: coooldude

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yep! I do hope we can sign a top 6 vet C to help them a little. Not sure if one is available or willing to sign here though.
Very few out there in FA. Monahan, Lindholm, Stephenson are probably the only 3 clear cut top 6 options but there are guys like Wennberg, Domi who could probably play that role.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Very few out there in FA. Monahan, Lindholm, Stephenson are probably the only 3 clear cut top 6 options but there are guys like Wennberg, Domi who could probably play that role.
I wonder if Lindholm would sign here short term to rebuild his value. Vancouver hasn’t been kind to him.

Reactions: Selachimorpha

Selachimorpha

Feb 18, 2015
I wonder if Lindholm would sign here short term to rebuild his value. Vancouver hasn’t been kind to him.
We have a ton of cap space too. It's ridiculous, but an offer of say 2 years for 10-12 per year. We have a retention slot in year two so we could flip him at 50%.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
We have a ton of cap space too. It's ridiculous, but an offer of say 2 years for 10-12 per year. We have a retention slot in year two so we could flip him at 50%.
Dunno if I go that high. He’s have to be a 40/60 guy min to make him a desirable trade piece in the second year even at 5

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
This summer will be one of the more exciting ones for the Sharks, a lot of opportunity through the draft, free agency and I think Grier wants to give the team a fresh start. They will start growing a new locker room, new expectations and even if Sharks aren't a playoff team, they are closer to getting back the excitement through the young players. There will be a lot of hungry young players wanting to take the lead and there will be competition. Add couple veterans and keep the ones leading by example, and we'll start seeing some progress even if it's minimal for now.

I feel the progress should be in this order for us to come out of this rebuild with real success.

1. Locker room chemistry (veteran presence, potential players)
2. On ice chemistry (potential players playing well together)
3. On ice talent/depth (potential players rising and having real depth)
4a. On ice talent overturning coaching (good team, bad coach)
4b. Coaching chemistry (locker room + on ice growing together with present or new coaching)
5. Coaching talent/depth (clutch coach with the supporting staff getting everything out of the said good team)
6. Even more depth on ice and luck with on ice play and injuries.

This was not a perfect order, or nothing of a new information but just really wanted to write it here.
A lot of things have to go right for it to go in that order and work out well.
There is a lot of solid teams jammed in couple of those spots, or skipping some spots all together. There is good winning teams skipping the number 4a all together (Tampa Bay, Colorado)

But in Sharks case I could see 4a being the case with either Quinn or next coach after him depending on how fast Sharks grow.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
So Eklund does have up to 850k in A-Tier bonuses on his contract. That means he will get 212.5k for achieving up to 4 of the following:

Forwards
20 goals (Current: 12)​
35 assists (Current: 23)​
60 points (Current: 35)​
Top six in Time on Ice among forwards (in total and/or per game) (Current: 3 total/ 4gp)​
Top three in +/- among forwards on team (Current: 13)​
0.73 points per game (minimum 42 games) (Current: 0.49)​
End-of Season All Rookie Team (N/A)​
All Star Selection (N/A)​
All Star MVP (N/A)​

• Wow

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Mike Brown was a low skill 4th liner that gave 110% effort whenever he was on the ice and people here hated him.
When you have a talented team, giving 110% is not sufficient and may not even be necessary. When you don't have a talented team, giving 110% is sufficient and necessary.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
My favorite Sharks 4th liner was Scott Nichol. I remember all 5 feet of that dude flying 300 miles into Chara and knocking him over. Loved him. Ville Niemenen was great too. He was like a Disney snake character come to life.
Torrey Mitchell was blue balls personified. Those highlight reel goals were amazing and then the rest of the season he would have stone hands.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Torrey Mitchell was blue balls personified. Those highlight reel goals were amazing and then the rest of the season he would have stone hands.
I loved Torrey Mitchell. Before the leg break i was certain he would be a Shark for life and a franchise guy. That turned out to be Pavs, but Mitchell was the man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad