GDT: 2023-24 season game 8 LA Kings vs Vegas Golden Knights @7:30pm 10/28/23

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Will it be entertaining?

You bet your sweet ass.

Will we win more than one round?

Absolutely not. UNLESS--all four lines are firing on all cylinders. Then we can outscore our problems. but defense (team) and goaltending is not good enough to advance to the WCF.

The Kings don't have a 'b' game. They either score 5 and win, or lose. There's no grind-it-out defense/goaltending battle to be had with any sort of consistency. We will lose EVERY goaltending matchup in a 7 game series. It'll be good enough to win a game or two--i DO like Talbot for the 'steal a game' Quick-style moxie--but it'll either lose or not-win most games.

And then we'll point to 'but they were xGF% 65% 5v5' and pretend for another year that goaltending, defense, coaching, and special teams aren't a problem for every year until TM and Blake are gone.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
I really thought everyone knew coming in this is what we are gonna get. 5-4 wins or losses I'm kinda shocked that people are acting surprised

Reactions: YP44

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I really thought everyone knew coming in this is what we are gonna get. 5-4 wins or losses I'm kinda shocked that people are acting surprised
Dude, we could be 8-0 and people would be pissed that we are winning the 'wrong' way.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Will it be entertaining?

You bet your sweet ass.

Absolutely not. UNLESS--all four lines are firing on all cylinders. Then we can outscore our problems. but defense (team) and goaltending is not good enough to advance to the WCF.

The Kings don't have a 'b' game. They either score 5 and win, or lose. There's no grind-it-out defense/goaltending battle to be had with any sort of consistency. We will lose EVERY goaltending matchup in a 7 game series. It'll be good enough to win a game or two--i DO like Talbot for the 'steal a game' Quick-style moxie--but it'll either lose or not-win most games.

And then we'll point to 'but they were xGF% 65% 5v5' and pretend for another year that goaltending, defense, coaching, and special teams aren't a problem for every year until TM and Blake are gone.

You nailed the things they need to fix. They outscored some issues in 2014, but they have work to do to get close to where they were then.

It's early, so there are at least some encouraging signs:

They are 7th in the league in expected goals against, so the defense has been improving from the crap we saw the first game. And it's a lot easier to fix that than team scoring.

Talbot is up to a .901 save percentage and a 2.86 GAA, he's only had one truly terrible game and that's was Boston. Take out that game and he's a surprising .922 save%. Copley needs to be addressed.

And the PP needs to get it going and bury chances.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
You nailed the things they need to fix. They outscored some issues in 2014, but they have work to do to get close to where they were then.

They are 7th in the league in expected goals against, so the defense has been improving from the crap we saw the first game. And it's a lot easier to fix that than team scoring.

Talbot is up to a .901 save percentage and a 2.86 GAA, he's only had one truly terrible game and that's was Boston. Take out that game and he's a surprising .922 save%. Copley needs to be addressed.

I agree with all of this

Also

Copely needs to get f***ing going
Kempe need to be defrosted
Byfield needs to find his killer instinct

I am also trying to be a more positive Dan. I think 4-2-2 after 8 games including CO, CAR, The Peg, Minny, Phx, and Vegas is better than most of us expected.

Reactions: yankeeking

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I agree with all of this

Also

I am also trying to be a more positive Dan. I think 4-2-2 after 8 games including CO, CAR, The Peg, Minny, Phx, and Vegas is better than most of us expected.
Yeah for sure. This roadie will also be challenging.

Roy had a slow start as well, but he's finally coming around.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yeah, the plus? They have all season to address these.

The minus? They've had several seasons to address these.

But now we're firmly in 'window open' mode and Blake has made no bones about it so he's betting with his job now at least.

I will def. give the defense credit, they've largely been great in volume, just the moments of catastrophic breakdown need to be solved. Theyr'e all a Muzzin_Martinez pairing so far.

Goaltending--Talbot needs to be preserved is my biggest problem with him right now. Copley seems to have lost his magic the moment they brought in another goalie, messed with his confidence/mojo, he's toast.

Reactions: yankeeking

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I agree with all of this

Also

I have no doubt that Kempe is injured. It’s no coincidence he was lighting it up in the preseason until he got boarded and he looks completely different since.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Will it be entertaining?

You bet your sweet ass.

You know full well that if we only win a single round it will be billed as a huge success and progress for our young team (the one where every important player except for two are 25 or older).

Hell, if we lose in the 1st round again it'll be "Aw shucks, we got a bad draw again. This was the real Western Conference Final. Kings are close".

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I have no doubt that Kempe is injured. It’s no coincidence he was lighting it up in the preseason until he got boarded and he looks completely different since.
I can't remember...was Dubois or Arvidsson playing on PP1 in the preseason? If Dubois, then injury seems likely. If not, the loss of Arvidsson on the pp could be the main reason.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I can't remember...was Dubois or Arvidsson playing on PP1 in the preseason? If Dubois, then injury seems likely. If not, the loss of Arvidsson on the pp could be the main reason.
Kempe can’t score a goal if his life depended on it. It’s not an arvidsson issue. He can’t do anything.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
We had a big turnover on the team and that always takes time to jive , all but the first line has a new member and agree something is off on 9 , he looked better last game but his one timer is pedestrian at best ......this road trip is against some high scoring teams maybe it will help get the defence of the whole team going

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No participation trophys.
One goal

Yeah we are far beyond moral victories here.

This team is reportedly a contender. To contend, you have to beat contenders.

I have no doubt this is a 100 point team. That's a great step. But it's also a step two years in the past.

Shit or get off the pot. But don't waffle with 'but guyyyyssss they were hard games' WE are supposed to be a hard game.

Reactions: chris kontos

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
anyone else sick of OT starting with Kopitar, Kempe, Doughty?

QB is your fastest skater, give him some time in OT.

I would also contemplate rolling 3 Forwards once LA has the puck.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold
I'm going to be contrarian here but I find the games exciting to watch. The team went toe to toe with last year's Cup winner and people are still unhappy. They lost the game because they got outplayed in the second half of the game and they lost in a shootout. This was the best team effort of the season and people are complaining. If you want to write them off then I'm not sure why you're watching other than masochism. I'm not saying people should be eternal optimist or shouldn't have an opinion but the team has a winning record and is the highest scoring team in the league.

Buy the ticket, take the ride!

Last edited:

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
I agree with all of this

Also

No! Not a more positive Dan!
We want the same hilarious Lt Dan.
You can't be both at the same time...
(see George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, Don Rickles, Sam Kennison, etc)

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Yeah, the plus? They have all season to address these.

The minus? They've had several seasons to address these.

But now we're firmly in 'window open' mode and Blake has made no bones about it so he's betting with his job now at least.

I will def. give the defense credit, they've largely been great in volume, just the moments of catastrophic breakdown need to be solved. Theyr'e all a Muzzin_Martinez pairing so far.

Goaltending--Talbot needs to be preserved is my biggest problem with him right now. Copley seems to have lost his magic the moment they brought in another goalie, messed with his confidence/mojo, he's toast.
Copley is not toast. The structure in front of him has been too loose at times. Copley is the type of goalie that fits well with a team that plays very structured in front of the their goalie, as he's not that mobile. Kings are in transition to be more high tempo to up their offensive attack, but the players need to know they better skate their butts back to defend their end.

Sometimes I think the team focus gets away from protecting the middle of the ice in front of the goalie. I also think only Doughty/Gabrikov/Englund are fairly good at boxing out forwards, but maybe they could use another big d-man that is closer to playing as a top 4 d-man? The Centers need to help out better, besides Kopitar. Byfield needs to become a man in that regard and Danault needs to step up his defensive game where we have seen it in the past.

Regarding goaltending, Copley has so far dropped off from what he did last season(It's very well the reason Blake only gave Copley a 1 year deal), as all goalies have scouting reports on their strengths and weaknesses. Talbot at age 36 still can be a bit inconsistent and he can not be relied on to have 50 starts due to his injury history. If Copley can't get his game in better shape, then it might be time to give Rittich a chance backing up Talbot.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I'm going to be contrarian here but I find the games exciting to watch. The team went toe to toe with last year's Cup winner and people are still unhappy. They lost the game because they got outplayed in the second half of the game and they lost in a shootout. This was the best team effort of the season and people are complaining. If you want to write them off then I'm not sure why you're watching other than masochism. I'm not saying people should be eternal optimist or shouldn't have an opinion but the team has a winning record and is the highest scoring team in the league.

But the ticket, take the ride!
I like this post very much.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

But the ticket, take the ride!
I think I speak for everyone when I thank you for making this post in your busiest time of the year. Between making toys and banging Zooey Deschanel, you've got to be one busy elf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad