Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's the same team season after season.

Yep.

Issues are still the issues.

Outgoalied.
Out-special-teams-ed.
DEFINITELY outcoached.

It's not fixable. What you see is what you get. Good enough to beat non playoff teams, not good enough to beat a contender unless they have a bad night. Expect another 100 point season and first round out.

Maybe the Kings should stop giving up four goals every night.

If not for the Sharks who are looking generationally bad, we have the most GA per game.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Anyone have anything positive to say about Dubois game so far this season?
i think he's been a very good facilitator and partner with fiala 5v5, they clearly have some chemistry

the lack of effort in crunch time is pretty irritating but when he turns on he looks really really good

i think that style of low-effort slinking around makes you a bit of an easy target when you don't get bounces. jury's still out

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Yep.

Outgoalied.
Out-special-teams-ed.
DEFINITELY outcoached.

It's not fixable. What you see is what you get. Good enough to beat non playoff teams, not good enough to beat a contender unless they have a bad night. Expect another 100 point season and first round out.

If not for the Sharks who are looking generationally bad, we have the most GA per game.
I know at least one poster who will call that a very successful season.

Reactions: Schrute farms

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
Yeah I would at least give Byfield a shift in OT. NO. I mean he just went mach 4 during the game can you just imagine a wide open ice 3 on 3. At least a try yeah Todd. Kempe - Byfield in OT, two F22's might just work.
Extra aggravating is we remember the early but often (unfair) criticism that 55 only looked good when on the rush.
Well, 3x3 is all about the rush.
Still, no Todd.

I would give my left nut to see Byfield and Clarke on the ice for OT.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Extra aggravating is we remember the early but often (unfair) criticism that 55 only looked good when on the rush.
Well, 3x3 is all about the rush.
Still, no Todd.

I would give my left nut to see Byfield and Clarke on the ice for OT.
This is Byfield now that he's almost pecked his way out of his shell

1698558534049.png

Reactions: psych3man

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
They seem to play better on the road at least they get wins. So get the hell out of town :)

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Ahh man this team can be annoying at times. Had the knights on the ropes and let them back in it and lost the lead, only to tie it up at the end and then lose in a shootout.

On one hand, I'm fine with a point against the Champs and given how the game ended up. On the other hand it's another loss to a really good team and in a game where they were the better team at times. Just got to find ways to win these games.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Yep.

Outgoalied.
Out-special-teams-ed.
DEFINITELY outcoached.

I don't think they were out-goalied tonight, I actually thought Talbot was the better of the two.

Special teams and coaching, for sure.

The Kings are actually 7th in GA/game, it went down tonight. The Oilers and Wild are a mess, then the Hurricanes, Sharks, and Devils are bunched up in really bad, Then the Capitals, Kings, and Calgary (tie). Remember the standings usually reflect the extra shootout goals but the stats do not.

Goals against is a big problem, but it's pretty bad league wide. Put it this way, if the Kings shut out Toronto next game, they would jump to exactly the middle of the pack. Goes to show if they improve on that it will go a long way.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

DyslexicTom

Jan 1, 2009
Kings are #1 in the league with goals per game! But also #26 in the league in goals against per game.

Shoutout to the poster that tried to tell me that *only* 10-12 teams gave up more goals than the Kings earlier in the season. 10-12 puts you in the bottom 40% of the league, my dude. Now they're bottom 20%.

Same thing we've been saying all season for the last couple of seasons: this team can really score! they just can't keep it out of their own net.

Reactions: Schrute farms

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Some things I didn't like. The PP had some good passing, but there is a lack of getting some good shots on net(it wasn't even about Vegas speed from their PK, but just poor hockey IQ of when to shoot the puck). On that Stone PP goal for Vegas, PK got way too loosey goosey and allowed too much space on the side where the goal was scored. Kings top forwards were shut down tonight. Dubois shows flashes but I want to see more from him taking over games offensively and more consistently. Last, Kings didn't seem to want it in the shootout. Moore unfortunately couldn't keep the puck flat because of some choppy ice, as he has a great snap shot that he puts under the bar. Dubois had no shiftiness in his attempt. Fiala just kind of scooped hit shot high with very little effort in moving Thompson or getting some oomph on his shot.

Some things I did like. Doughty has a cannon from the point and it's hitting the net so far! At the early rate he's going, he might have a chance to break his 16 goals high in a season(did it in his 2nd season). With Doughty having some accuracy firing his point shot, I wonder has to do with him being fully healthy? Cam Talbot is the clear #1 goalie for the team. To avoid his injury history, maybe start him every 3 for Copley's 1.

Reactions: Fishhead

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Fiala doesn't look right, it's kind of frustrating. He looks slow, doesn't have his usual jump. Hopefully that's just getting going and not some underlying issue. At least he's getting points, but we need him to be roofing shots.

Byfield should be out in OT, no questions asked. I would go Kopitar/PLD, Kempe/Byfield, and Danault/Fiala right now. The PK was fantastic in OT, but I'd rather see a track meet. Who is going to keep up with Byfield and Kempe? That's a penalty drawing machine.

And I know a lot of us are upset right now, but 5 out of 6 points after back to back with ARI and FVGK is pretty good. Arizona always gives us fits.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kinda scary how much Kopitar at his age is such a proponent of whether or not the Kings win.

PLD looks so disengaged.

Kings give up odd man rushes way too often.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Kinda scary how much Kopitar at his age is such a proponent of whether or not the Kings win.

PLD looks so disengaged.

I know the first line is doing well, but I would consider swapping out Byfield and Laf. I see a lot of Iafallo's game in Lafreniere, he might help get Kempe going and Byfield might charge up PLD and Fiala.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Fiala doesn't look right, it's kind of frustrating. He looks slow, doesn't have his usual jump. Hopefully that's just getting going and not some underlying issue. At least he's getting points, but we need him to be roofing shots.

Byfield should be out in OT, no questions asked. I would go Kopitar/PLD, Kempe/Byfield, and Danault/Fiala right now. The PK was fantastic in OT, but I'd rather see a track meet. Who is going to keep up with Byfield and Kempe? That's a penalty drawing machine.

And I know a lot of us are upset right now, but 5 out of 6 points after back to back with ARI and FVGK is pretty good. Arizona always gives us fits.
fiala is definitely not really playing like fiala, same goes for kempe. nice flash from kempe in OT though

i think kempe is the biggest issue and he definitely needs a shakeup with regards to linemates. overall team looks kinda.. "off" but they're getting points and winning games

i forget if it was sutter or todd that said he evaluates in 10-game chunks but i think it's a fair way to look at things right now

Reactions: Sol

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I know the first line is doing well, but I would consider swapping out Byfield and Laf. I see a lot of Iafallo's game in Lafreniere, he might help get Kempe going and Byfield might charge up PLD and Fiala.
I’d be open to that. Laf has a lot of good traits in his game but PLD being PLD I think it’d be good for him to get team mates like Kopi

fiala is definitely not really playing like fiala, same goes for kempe. nice flash from kempe in OT though

i think kempe is the biggest issue and he definitely needs a shakeup with regards to linemates. overall team looks kinda.. "off" but they're getting points and winning games

i forget if it was sutter or todd that said he evaluates in 10-game chunks but i think it's a fair way to look at things right now
Fiala has to be injured

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Losing in a shootout doesn't mean anything really. It painful and annoying, but it was a 50/50 game overall.

I can't stand Stone and Marchessault. Something about those guys grinds my gears.

It was an entertaining game at least. The 4 on 3 PK in OT was awesome.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

As you can see, Kempe is near the top of the league in the "unlucky" category.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Disappointing loss against a good team. Kempe's ice cold. You don't expect the team to go undefeated, but damn it sucks to lose when doing the same thing (overly depending on vets). Why wouldn't Byfield, one of the team's fastest skaters, be out on the ice during 3-on-3? Why doesn't Laferriere get a chance for his hard work?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

PLD looks so disengaged.

Vegas forces a lot of teams to play that way, so Kings aren't the only team that gets caught up in playing the VGK rush/counter rush game.

I’d be open to that. Laf has a lot of good traits in his game but PLD being PLD I think it’d be good for him to get team mates like Kopi

Fiala has to be injured
He is because he's usually dominant in the o-zone when he has the puck on his stick blade.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Kempe can be very streaky with his good goal scoring ability. He's just not gonna score goals consistently like Ovechkin has over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad