GDT: 2023-24 season game 76 LA Kings vs San Jose Sharks @7:30pm 4/4/24

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
They're better than that plus they have some youngsters coming and hopefully they can Win the Draft Lottery...this Ailing Franchise needs a boost of sorts
Let's put this in context...

The Sharks are 17-50-8 for .280 pct, worst in the league
The next closest is Chicago at .327, .047 higher-- a huge discrepancy
Sharks have won 17 of 75 in regulation, or 23% of their games--less than 1 in 4
The are -134 goal differential, the next highest is Chicago at -96 , a 38 goal difference
They have gone 1-8-1 in their last 10, when all teams (except the Kings) tend to rev up their effort closer to playoff time
Their leading scorer is Fabian Zetterland (who?) with 21, the next highest is Zadina with 13--meaning their two highest scorers together have 34 goals
GF is 31st in league, GA is 32nd
The next closest GA is Columbus; Sharks give up .3 more goals per game...an enormous discrepancy between two teams this late in the season.

The Sharks are unbelievably bad this year.
They are not far from an AHL team. Look at the roster and stats.
And that of course is on purpose.
The best AHL team would give the Sharks a helluva game and it wouldn't be surprising if they beat them.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.

The are -134 goal differential, the next highest is Chicago at -96 , a 38 goal difference
They have gone 1-8-1 in their last 10, when all teams (except the Kings) tend to rev up their effort closer to playoff time
Their leading scorer is Fabian Zetterland (who?) with 21, the next highest is Zadina with 13--meaning their two highest scorers together have 34 goals
The next closest GA is Columbus; Sharks give up .3 more goals per game...an enormous discrepancy between two teams this late in the season.

The best AHL team would give the Sharks a helluva game and it wouldn't be surprising if they beat them.
Great stats but they still play the game on the ice, last saturday the sharks shutout the blues who were still playing for a playoff spot then, don't you think its pretty hard to get motivated for a team like this . Now if we come out like this game on saturday thats an issue ,
there is plenty to be concerned with this team but not sure this effort is one of them , coaching is a different concern playing 8 and 11 that much WTF

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Great stats but they still play the game on the ice, last saturday the sharks shutout the blues who were still playing for a playoff spot then, don't you think its pretty hard to get motivated for a team like this . Now if we come out like this game on saturday thats an issue ,
there is plenty to be concerned with this team but not sure this effort is one of them
, coaching is a different concern playing 8 and 11 that much WTF
Really? Getting bodied by Edmonton and Winnipeg wasn’t alarming? I don’t know how you can watch the Kings and come away thinking “yeah these guys turn it up when it matters” when they get bodied when there’s something on the line. There’s a reason why they can only beat bad teams and narrowly won the sharks yesterday.

Bad coaching and bad leadership has plagued this team since brown left

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Really? Getting bodied by Edmonton and Winnipeg wasn’t alarming? I don’t know how you can watch the Kings and come away thinking “yeah these guys turn it up when it matters” when they get bodied when there’s something on the line. There’s a reason why they can only beat bad teams and narrowly won the sharks yesterday.

Such blatant lies...jesus christ you guys make shit up just so you have something to bitch about

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Well, they had....Doughty, Kopitar, Kempe, Roy, when they started the rebuild, they added Andersson, Clarke, Spence, Moore, Byfield,
They had Doughty, Kopitar, Kempe, and Roy before they started the rebuild. That's like going to the store to buy milk when they already had it. If having them is all that matters, why bother entering a rebuild at all?

Anderson and Moore were the only two who regularly played up until this season, and Anderson was drafted before their rebuild. Byfield played 40 games and had 10 points the season they exited the rebuild. Spence played 24 games that season. And we kept hearing how they shouldn't "give" spots to prospects, so Clarke didn't play at all.
SJ started their rebuild last year, tell me what NHL players they actually have? I mean they are literally completely different situations, let's not compare them like they are the same.
The point is that if 2 years is too early to judge a rebuild, then 2.5 years is too early to exit one. Especially when the pieces you acquired during the rebuild were deemed "not ready."

You have compared pretty much any calls for extended rebuilds to follow the Edmonton and Buffalo model. Isn't that why you kept telling people who wanted to continue the rebuild? It would appear you view all rebuilds to be the same.

Reactions: Mattias

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They had Doughty, Kopitar, Kempe, and Roy before they started the rebuild. That's like going to the store to buy milk when they already had it. If having them is all that matters, why bother entering a rebuild at all?

Anderson and Moore were the only two who regularly played up until this season, and Anderson was drafted before their rebuild. Byfield played 40 games and had 10 points the season they exited the rebuild. Spence played 24 games that season. And we kept hearing how they shouldn't "give" spots to prospects, so Clarke didn't play at all.

The point is that if 2 years is too early to judge a rebuild, then 2.5 years is too early to exit one. Especially when the pieces you acquired during the rebuild were deemed "not ready."

You have compared pretty much any calls for extended rebuilds to follow the Edmonton and Buffalo model. Isn't that why you kept telling people who wanted to continue the rebuild? It would appear you view all rebuilds to be the same.

So, just for clarity, you think SJ and LA were in the same exact spot when each started their rebuild? Really?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So, just for clarity, you think SJ and LA were in the same exact spot when each started their rebuild? Really?
I said you compared all rebuilds to be the same, because if LA kept rebuilding, they'd be following the Buffalo and Edmonton model.

I said it's arguable the Kings exited the rebuild too early, because the players they acquired during their rebuild were, according to you, not ready. Because "we can't just give them roster spots," right?

The Kings started selling pieces mid-2019. After drafting Clarke, they started making moves to get out of the rebuild. Yes, the Kings had NHLers, but they had them before the rebuild. So, did they enter a rebuild unnecessarily? Or is 2 years too early to judge whether or not a rebuild was successful?

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

That reason is they are simply not good enough to beat the actual contenders. We can complain about toughness all we want but this team is strictly worse than every West playoff team both on paper and on the ice.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I said you compared all rebuilds to be the same, because if LA kept rebuilding, they'd be following the Buffalo and Edmonton model.

I said it's arguable the Kings exited the rebuild too early, because the players they acquired during their rebuild were, according to you, not ready. Because "we can't just give them roster spots," right?

The Kings started selling pieces mid-2019. After drafting Clarke, they started making moves to get out of the rebuild. Yes, the Kings had NHLers, but they had them before the rebuild. So, did they enter a rebuild unnecessarily? Or is 2 years too early to judge whether or not a rebuild was successful?

I haven't compared anything to be the same, I've said you could end up in a never ending rebuild ala Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo etc, that's not saying they are the same, WTF did that come from?

Someone commented that SJ's rebuild was in jeopardy, I commented that's idiotic because they JUST started it last year.....you try and come in with a gotcha.....assuming that LA and SJ are the same, makes no goddamn sense.

Kings traded Martinez, Carter, Toffoli, Muzzin I believe, Muzzin brought in Durzi, Grundstrom, Pick that became Bjornfoot, that's pretty much the start of that rebuild, then traded Cambell which got them Moore and the pick that became Lafeirre, that wasi n 2020, Muzzin was in 2019, Toffoli was in 2020, Martinez in 2020, Forbort in 2020, end of 2020, then after that they spent assets to acquire Andersson, Lemieux....traded Carter in 2021, after that, they "exited" the "rebuild" Using quotes because in retrospect, was it a rebuild, or a retool....rebuild that turned into a retool, because before the Danualt signing which basically signals that they are exiting they had Kopitar, Doughty, Roy, Kempe, Anderson, Iafallo, Walker, Lizotte etc, then they signed Danault, traded for Arvidsson, traded for Fiala, traded Gavrikov, traded for PLD....

Their situation is nowhere CLOSE to what San Jose's is when one posters asks if they should restart it, and another asks, is 2 years to judge

That reason is they are simply not good enough to beat the actual contenders. We can complain about toughness all we want but this team is strictly worse than every West playoff team both on paper and on the ice.

Again, making shit up just to have something to argue.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

Youngsters are coming...the question will be do the Sharks show patience and allow them to develop on their regular paths or rushed and possibly ruined...and with a top First rounder(maybe the Lottery Winner they will add another good/great piece to the rebuild and long term future and success of this franchise which has fallen on tough times and with a Cap situation that has ham strung them with contracts that will continue for a few more years so the only thing to do bite the "bullet" incur the losses figuratively and literally! In some ways they are the California Golden Seals but this time they don't have the WHA Pro League "raping" pillaging and poaching them...not sure what the Ownership situation is like but they have to be better than Charlie O Finley who cared about the Oakland A's baseball team and provided every means for them to succeed, not so much for the Seals and Progressive GM Garry Young who was trying to build with youngsters that the Boston Bruins and other NHL teams had and had no room for! During the Bruins(Big Bad) hay day of the early 70's when they were winning Stanley Cups in 1970 and '72 with Bobby Orr leading a prolific attack second to none...So be patient the Sharks will turn things around it may take some time maybe another couple of seasons with another 2-3 solid to great drafts should right this Ship...And they will have two 1st rounders this year and two next year to help...but like everything you have hit on those picks and not end up with a Teemu Riihijarvi or Mirco Mueller type but instead draft a Patrick Marleau, Dmitri Nabokov, Jeff Friesen, ME Vlasic, and Logan Couture types!!!

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Wait, you’re saying that?

I haven't made shit up once, you keep reiterating that the Kings can't beat good teams, can't beat contenders, let's see how full of shit you are,

They've beaten WPG, Vegas, Florida, Colorado, Carolina, Rangers, Edmonton, NJ, Boston, Vancouver, Tampa,

If you want say hey, LA can't beat Dallas, then sure, I'd get behind that, but the other shit, is just made up in your head.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Pacific playoff teams after the all star break

Vancouver 14-10-3 (.574)
Edmonton 16-9-4 (.620)
Las Vegas 13-10-2 (.540)
Los Angeles 17-10-1 (.625)

Central playoff teams after the all star break

Dallas 18-6-3 (.722)
Colorado 16-8-3 (.648)
Winnipeg 16-12-1 (.532)
Nashville 18-5-2 (.760)

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Pacific playoff teams after the all star break

Vancouver 14-10-3 (.574)
Edmonton 16-9-4 (.620)
Las Vegas 13-10-2 (.540)
Los Angeles 17-10-1 (.625)

Central playoff teams after the all star break

Dallas 18-6-3 (.722)
Colorado 16-8-3 (.648)
Winnipeg 16-12-1 (.532)
Nashville 18-5-2 (.760)
Cental has been insane.

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
I haven't made shit up once, you keep reiterating that the Kings can't beat good teams, can't beat contenders, let's see how full of shit you are,

They've beaten WPG, Vegas, Florida, Colorado, Carolina, Rangers, Edmonton, NJ, Boston, Vancouver, Tampa,

If you want say hey, LA can't beat Dallas, then sure, I'd get behind that, but the other shit, is just made up in your head.
Who do you think they could take down in a series? No, let me rephrase--if you had to put money on a best of 7, would you take the kings over anyone ahead of them in the west?

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Look at Doughty and Kopitar’s ice time. Against the San Jose Sharks.

What in the name of sweet zombie Jesus are we hoping to accomplish here?

It's was another 11/7 set up again, on a b2b? Just crazy. Although, all the pp we gave sj, including a 4 min didn't help reduce their numbers.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Who do you think they could take down in a series? No, let me rephrase--if you had to put money on a best of 7, would you take the kings over anyone ahead of them in the west?

Different animal, than what I was referring to, but sure, I think Vancouver is one, I think Vegas is another, Possibly Winnipeg, Dallas will give them fits, I think Edmonton is 50/50, I think Colorado is too much, but they aren't deep, they are like Edmonton but with a much better defense....but once you get past MacKinnon and Rantanen and Makar...and granted, that's a shit ton to get past, who scares you on that team?

7 game series are much harder to win than people think....

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I am happy with the result considering that we played the night before and the Sharks play us harder than they plan anyone else
Yeah, the Sharks have a thing for the Kings, but the Kings are more like Brody than they are like Quint.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Different animal, than what I was referring to, but sure, I think Vancouver is one, I think Vegas is another, Possibly Winnipeg, Dallas will give them fits, I think Edmonton is 50/50, I think Colorado is too much, but they aren't deep, they are like Edmonton but with a much better defense....but once you get past MacKinnon and Rantanen and Makar...and granted, that's a shit ton to get past, who scares you on that team?

7 game series are much harder to win than people think....
Edmonton is 50/50???? LMFAOOOO. Be a man and bet on it. I bet you 500 they lose to Edmonton. They might only beat Vancouver. But they will lose to everyone else. Put your money where your mouth is.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Edmonton is 50/50???? LMFAOOOO. Be a man and bet on it. I bet you 500 they lose to Edmonton. They might only beat Vancouver. But they will lose to everyone else. Put your money where your mouth is.

Edmonton is 100% 50/50 just because you dont understand why, doesn't make it less true,

EDM wins in Shootout 3-2
EDM loses 4-0
EDM wins 4-2
EDM wins 4-1

Tell me where is the 100% certainty? Oh wait, you don't understand the game....so there is that....EDM has nothing behind McDavid/Draisaitl, and again, same as COL, it's an absolute beast to get past, but when/if you do, they aren't deep, they have Hyman, RNH, and Kane, who all FEED off of McDavid, they don't create on their own....

You buy into the hype way too much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad