GDT: 2023-24 season Game 3 LA Kings vs Winnipeg Jets @5:00pm 10/17/23

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I am a huge Vilardi supporter and still pissed. The only thing why I can slightly live with the trade is the fact he is always injured. At one point its not bad luck anymore.

The same in cycling. The same riders always fall on the ground.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Kupari was all over the ice but his biggest problem is that he has no finish making him expendable. AI had bursts here and there, but along with Kupari, he was expendable. Vilardi was the true asset we lost but his injury history made him a high risk/high reward player

That’s not the point. Any player would’ve gotten injured there, and every player encounters unavoidable injuries. But because Vilardi so often experiences extraneous injuries, these types of unavoidable injuries compound the issue all the more.

Vilardi is an injury prone player. He misses a lot of time due to injury. That’s an objective fact. And it absolutely played a role in the Kings trading him. John is 100% right there.
That was also true of Justin Williams until it wasn't.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Kupari was all over the ice but his biggest problem is that he has no finish making him expendable. AI had bursts here and there, but along with Kupari, he was expendable. Vilardi was the true asset we lost but his injury history made him a high risk/high reward player
Pretty much. The deal was a bitter pill to swallow, but all three players were expendable given our forward depth and PLD is literally what we were hoping that Vilardi could be but honestly never can be. I don't mean that Vilardi can never produce like PLD, but he is never going to be a physically imposing center that produces at a 25G 60P+ clip. He is likely going to be a skilled but brittle winger where that kind of production is his ceiling.

Iafallo is a good solid middle sixer and Kupari is a smooth skating player who hopes to also be a solid middle sixer in the NHL, but both were easily replaced in our lineup with our forward depth and are unlikely to be missed regardless of their development.

Ultimately, I think the deal is still very solid for the Kings and their 2nd line center position is locked down for years to come which adds a lot of stability to the lineup with the 3rd line center being elite and locked in for four years to. All the questions lie at the #1 center position and how long Kopitar can remarkably continue being Kopitar.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Gotta give to get....somehow we gave up 3 forwards for 1, yet our offense hasn't been this deep in decades. In addition, we have a 60-point RW on LTIR.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Which is probably why we were able to get a two-time 30-goal scorer and Stanley Cup champion for an underachieving prospect and a 2nd. Injuries can really suppress value.

I don't think Gabe is particularly injury prone, but he's never been a strong skater. He always fell a lot when he was here, almost every shift it seemed. It was a freak thing with Lizotte last night, but if he's stronger on his skates on that play there's a good chance he avoids injury.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don't think that's comparable at all.

Williams had almost 500 NHL games played when LA traded for him. He had back to back 82 game seasons under his belt along with a being a major part of a winning SC run.

In the 5 years prior to the trade, Williams only missed significant time once.

I don't think that's comparable at all.

Williams had almost 500 NHL games played when LA traded for him. He had back to back 82 game seasons under his belt along with a being a major part of a winning SC run.

In the 5 years prior to the trade, Williams only missed significant time once.

"Indeed, before joining the Kings, Williams had played a full, 82-game season just twice. From 2000-01 to 2008-09, he suffered injuries that include broken fingers and hands, a broken wrist, shoulder strains and sprains, a torn anterior cruciate ligament and a torn Achilles tendon."

Yeah he played two 82 game seasons and then was injured for most of the two seasons prior to being traded to the Kings. It was considered a huge risk for the Kings at the time given the variety and severity of some of his injuries. That's all I'm saying. Gabe missed significant amounts of time due to injuries and looks like he might be facing another one. Justin Williams was coming off an achilles injury the year prior to being traded. That is a very serious injury that had potential long term consequences. He also broke his hand after he was traded to the Kings.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
"Indeed, before joining the Kings, Williams had played a full, 82-game season just twice. From 2000-01 to 2008-09, he suffered injuries that include broken fingers and hands, a broken wrist, shoulder strains and sprains, a torn anterior cruciate ligament and a torn Achilles tendon."

Yeah he played two 82 game seasons and then was injured for most of the two seasons prior to being traded to the Kings. It was considered a huge risk for the Kings at the time given the variety and severity of some of his injuries. That's all I'm saying. Gabe missed significant amounts of time due to injuries and looks like he might be facing another one. Justin Williams was coming off an achilles injury the year prior to being traded. That is a very serious injury that had potential long term consequences. He also broke his hand after he was traded to the Kings.
Yep. It was a constant bitch-fest about the trade, over Williams’ injuries and giving up a ‘future star’ in O’Sullivan. I wasn’t the only voice saying what a good trade it was, but I was definitely in the minority. I thought the trade was genius from day 1.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Willie Mitchell also had a concussion history until he had a certain helmet made, too.

Injury histories are valid. Citing an unavoidable injury is not a good explanation.

To @Fishhead 's point about Vilardi not being a strong skater, I agree he's not. I also agree that him not being a strong skater contributed to him falling and injuring himself. But Vilardi was traded because the Kings identified PLD as a player they really wanted and he became available. They didn't put in all these resources to treat and rehab Vilardi and get him back in the NHL, only to trade him due to not being healthy enough to play in the NHL.

They weren't trying to get rid of Vilardi. They were trying to get PLD. And I don't know what other talent Winnipeg would have accepted that Blake would have offered. That's the reality of the trade.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
They weren't trying to get rid of Vilardi. They were trying to get PLD. And I don't know what other talent Winnipeg would have accepted that Blake would have offered. That's the reality of the trade.
This for sure, he was undoubtedly requested. Gabe's value was probably diminished a bit because of his injury history, but no more than PLD's was due to wanting to move on.

I think the Kings viewed GV as a long-term part of the team and were being rewarded for their patience with him. Trading him was not on the radar.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I still have a chubby from last night's game

small-but-fierce-small.gif

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

2003-04 77gp of 82
2004-05 49gp of 50
2005-06 82gp of 82 (+ 25 PO games)
2006-07 82gp of 82
2007-08 37gp of 82

Those are the prior 5 seasons before he was traded to LA in 2009-09 season.

Not saying there wasn't injury concerns, there was, but he played many NHL games including complete seasons. Vilardi hasn't played a full season since his first year in junior.

Reactions: deaderhead28

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I only get concerned about chronic injuries. If a player keeps hurting their shoulder or back or something, then it's likely it will happen again when you acquire them. Some players are just unlucky and find new parts of their body to break. It's all part of the calculated risk. I'd be more worried for Vilardi if it was his back again, but this sounds likely to be some kind of strain because of the awkward fall.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I really like Vilardi, but the reverence spoken about him around here is pretty over the top. You would think the Kings traded one of the best players in the league

Let's not forget the majority of people around here didn't even think GV would play a game in the NHL.

True enough. Vilardi turned into the equivalent of Turcotte turning things around and then us trading him for a top player for years to come on the team. I think anyone in the fanbase would be all for turning Turcotte into a high-end useful player in the lineup right now.

Obviously, Vilardi turned into a fan favorite because of how he turned things around, his attitude, and the clutch moments he had in his renaissance season, but despite all the other things going on this trade was decent asset management.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I really like Vilardi, but the reverence spoken about him around here is pretty over the top. You would think the Kings traded one of the best players in the league
I think what you’re seeing is two extremes. This entire conversation was started by one or two posters somehow through Olympic mental gymnastics suggesting that Vilardi having someone fall on his leg and hyper extend it be a sign that he’s injury prone. I particularly think Vilardi was the second best player on the Kings last year and first was Fiala. I think Vilardi has been unlucky AFTER his back issues. And he was unlucky last night. Anyone making an analysis from a moronic check on Vilardi is delusional imo.

Vilardi is an extremely talented player and once hes playing he will show it. Don’t know how people think he’s a flash in the pan when he’s extremely talented.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad