GDT: 2023-24 season Game 3 LA Kings vs Winnipeg Jets @5:00pm 10/17/23

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
That was also true of Justin Williams until it wasn't.
Bad comparison between Williams and Vilardi to be honest.

I think what you’re seeing is two extremes. This entire conversation was started by one or two posters somehow through Olympic mental gymnastics suggesting that Vilardi having someone fall on his leg and hyper extend it be a sign that he’s injury prone. I particularly think Vilardi was the second best player on the Kings last year and first was Fiala. I think Vilardi has been unlucky AFTER his back issues. And he was unlucky last night. Anyone making an analysis from a moronic check on Vilardi is delusional imo.

Vilardi is an extremely talented player and once hes playing be will show it. Don’t know how people think he’s a flash in the pan when he’s extremely talented.
Flash in the pan in terms of never being able to stay on the ice. Kid is very talented indeed, but his injury history has blocked his success in the nhl.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Flash in the pan in terms of never being able to stay on the ice. Kid is very talented indeed, but his injury history has blocked his success in the nhl.
He’s had a few freak injuries and as well as some growth related issues. I think it’s too soon to label him as injury prone. If he has some random injuries in the next year then yeah I think you can call him injury prone. But I don’t think he warrants that title consider the circumstances of his injuries.

Reactions: deaderhead28

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
You’re reaching so far that you’re touching the andromeda. Any player would get injured with that. You’re using a guaranteed injury situation as Vilardi being fragile. Ridiculous.
C’mon @Sol, you’re taking this way too literally…the truth is Vilardi for whatever reason has been injured way more frequently than average. Same for Turcotte, among many other unfortunate athletes. For unexplainable reasons some athletes get injured more often (bad karma, genetic vulnerabilities), others for reasons more easily explained (e.g., smaller players with aggressive styles). It can appear that certain players are more snakebite than others, and they would be correct (like Vilardi). It can even affect teams (remember that nightmare year with Andy Murray?!, how about that recent year when Kings prospects kept falling like flies). These things can go in bunches. No one was wishing or rooting for Vilardi to get injured…unfortunately, knowledgable fans were not surprised when it happened to him of all people. And anyone who didn’t consider Vilardi’s ability to possibly not stay healthy re: any potential King staff or fan, is either lying or a fool. Examining and commenting on patterns is not the same as rooting for it.

Reactions: johnjm22

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
You just don't get it. Vilardi being unable to avoid an unavoidable injury is why they traded him.
I love you, brother, one of my favorite posters ever, but this snark is not becoming of your intelligence and takes the poster’s comment way out of context to make him look bad.
You know darn well he was not implying or making any causal connections there. You’re way better than this, my friend.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
A great game at a great time for arthur kaliyev and a good win. 1-3-1 finally used in a timely man er and overall the game presented as a best possible case for our side.
Unfortunate about valardi but no good end could have come outof that industrial strength can opener leg lock applied by lizotte

Reactions: Ghetty Green

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I love you, brother, one of my favorite posters ever, but this snark is not becoming of your intelligence and takes the poster’s comment way out of context to make him look bad.
You know darn well he was not implying or making any causal connections there. You’re way better than this, my friend.
I appreciate it, but frankly, I expect better from the posters I was directing my snark at.

Vilardi's injury history and missing years of hockey was due to a back injury which was corrected - that's why he's playing again. Part of it involves doing vigorous exercises to keep it in shape. And fitness is a major reason to minimize injury. His injury last night was the leg. Caused from falling awkwardly. Attributing a freak accident to make injury prone statements is silly.

There's this behavior, not specific to Kings fans, where former players get unnecessarily denigrated.

Nobody here wanted to trade Vilardi after he started breaking out, citing his injury history. Heck, nobody wanted to trade Vilardi period. So this sudden "whelp, that's why he's gone" attitude is pretty flippant and disingenuous.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
He’s had a few freak injuries and as well as some growth related issues. I think it’s too soon to label him as injury prone. If he has some random injuries in the next year then yeah I think you can call him injury prone. But I don’t think he warrants that title consider the circumstances of his injuries.
Not sure how to do this like a real champ but I think clicking above takes you to a post I made in June of this year.

He is injury prone. Last night's play would not have led to the same result for the majority of players in the NHL. Vilardi is a tall, lanky guy that isn't as strong as you'd expect him to be after watching the kind of game he played in Juniors.

Love the skill on the guy. I'm not shitting on him when I say that: it's just the truth. He makes up for lack of footspeed via anticipation: that's what leads to those plays I mentioned in my post from June. He knows the hit is coming before he accepts the pass or whatever, has the hands to make a quick, shifty move but then that long, lanky-ass leg is still hanging out there.

Last year's embarrassing slam into the boards and last night's injury are two examples of a long-limbed, not very powerful guy falling awkwardly. That's him.

Reactions: johnjm22

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Yeah, 12 minutes of ice time...not bad for being worked over by Todd, eh?

Kaliyev only had 16 seconds less time than Danault at even strength, and only 20 seconds less than Kempe. The big difference was the powerplays when the Jets couldn't get it out. The top unit was on practically the entire time. That was the sole reason for the time imbalance.

Reactions: lumbergh

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Yeah, 12 minutes of ice time...not bad for being worked over by Todd, eh?
Played his average career TOI and had a multi-point game, something he has done before.

Let's stop playing him only 12 minutes a night and with some better players and see if those numbers improve. Hell, let's go ahead and keep the 12 minutes but have him play with better players.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I appreciate it, but frankly, I expect better from the posters I was directing my snark at.

Vilardi's injury history and missing years of hockey was due to a back injury which was corrected - that's why he's playing again. Part of it involves doing vigorous exercises to keep it in shape. And fitness is a major reason to minimize injury. His injury last night was the leg. Caused from falling awkwardly. Attributing a freak accident to make injury prone statements is silly.

There's this behavior, not specific to Kings fans, where former players get unnecessarily denigrated.

Nobody here wanted to trade Vilardi after he started breaking out, citing his injury history. Heck, nobody wanted to trade Vilardi period. So this sudden "whelp, that's why he's gone" attitude is pretty flippant and disingenuous.
To be fair, no one wanted to trade Vilardi when he had no trade value.

As soon as trading Vilardi for an upgrade became a possibility, many were fine with it.

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
Yep. It was a constant bitch-fest about the trade, over Williams’ injuries and giving up a ‘future star’ in O’Sullivan. I wasn’t the only voice saying what a good trade it was, but I was definitely in the minority. I thought the trade was genius from day 1.
I don’t recall it that way. I remember people here being more annoyed about the 2nd pick we had to use after Edmonton found out we were turning their player into Justin Williams than giving away Patrick O’Sullivan. The main reason people worried about that trade was Williams health issues since in that time we had two major problems: bad goaltending (Roman Cechmanek, Dan Cloutier and Jason Labarbera era) and injuries (remember 2002-03 and 05/06 seasons?)

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
2003-04 77gp of 82
2004-05 49gp of 50
2005-06 82gp of 82 (+ 25 PO games)
2006-07 82gp of 82
2007-08 37gp of 82

Those are the prior 5 seasons before he was traded to LA in 2009-09 season.

Not saying there wasn't injury concerns, there was, but he played many NHL games including complete seasons. Vilardi hasn't played a full season since his first year in junior.

It’s amazing how people are refusing to grasp this about Vilardi.

There have been other player examples given but that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. I was skeptical of the Williams trade when it happened because of his injury history. Loved him as a player during and after CAR Cup win. Again, he was hurt most of the year he was traded to the Kings, the year before and then got hurt quickly after he was traded to LA. I get that they are two different players at two different points in their careers. They both have had freak injuries and I believe Williams had a recurring knee issue from memory. That's all the comparison I was trying to make. I'm sure there is some young prospect that went through similar things as Gabe and went on to succeed just as many that had injuries derail their career.

2003-04 77gp of 82
2004-05 49gp of 50
2005-06 82gp of 82 (+ 25 PO games)
2006-07 82gp of 82
2007-08 37gp of 82

Those are the prior 5 seasons before he was traded to LA in 2009-09 season.

Not saying there wasn't injury concerns, there was, but he played many NHL games including complete seasons. Vilardi hasn't played a full season since his first year in junior.

No need to beat a dead horse but I guess I am. You left out the year he was traded to the Kings where he was hurt most of the year and then also got hurt after he was traded here. I didn't realize that he played during the 04/05 lockout. Again, my comparison isn't so much about where they are in their careers but the frequency, variety and severity of the injuries they've had. I wasn't really trying to compare the two specifically other than the anecdote that someone is injury prone will always be isn't accurate.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Vilardi out 4-6 weeks for Jets with sprained MCL

n8her3crz7blhi5hdacc.jpg

Gabriel Vilardi is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a sprained MCL in his right knee, Winnipeg Jets coach Rick Bowness said Wednesday.

"It could have been a lot worse, and then he would have needed an operation and then he's done for a while," Bowness said. "Even the rehab after that becomes a lot more strenuous, so we'll take the best-case scenario as a sprain. We'll take that."

Reactions: Ghetty Green

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Anybody else’s mind blown that the Jets not only disclosed the injury, but the timetable as well? No “lower body injury, day-to-day”. Has nothing to do with privacy like some have suggested.
Did you know that Winnipeg isn't in the United States, where HIPAA is used?

Canada has their own standards.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Did you know that Winnipeg isn't in the United States, where HIPAA is used?

Canada has their own standards.
I think people misunderstand what HIPAA does. It prevents only healthcare providers and health plans from disclosing individually identifiable health information; there's nothing in there that I know of that would prevent a sports franchise in the United States from disclosing injury information about a player. As an example: Edmundson expected to be out 4-6 weeks for Capitals with fractured hand | NHL.com

ARLINGTON, Va. -- Joel Edmundson is expected to be out 4-6 weeks for the Washington Capitals after fracturing his hand in a training camp scrimmage Sunday. The 30-year-old defenseman had surgery Tuesday to stabilize the fracture.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think people misunderstand what HIPAA does. It prevents only healthcare providers and health plans from disclosing individually identifiable health information; there's nothing in there that I know of that would prevent a sports franchise in the United States from disclosing injury information about a player. As an example: Edmundson expected to be out 4-6 weeks for Capitals with fractured hand | NHL.com
The healthcare providers work for the team, but they're still healthcare providers. HIPAA gives agency to the patient on what is and isn't shared

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
From what I understand, the NHL doesnt mandate explaining injuries unlike other leagues.. so each team is free to do as much or as little as they want. The NFL mandates it... which some say was put in place for gamblers to have better info for betting... I dont think it has anything do with HIPAA.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The healthcare providers work for the team, but they're still healthcare providers. HIPAA gives agency to the patient on what is and isn't shared

Also just to add: Handling HIPAA Rules In Sports: Why Athlete Privacy Matters - Health Works Collective

"Even professional athletes and other related figures must authorize any publication or use of their medical records."

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00