GDT: 2023-24 season game 25 LA Kings vs New York Rangers @4:00pm 12/10/23

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Kopitar plays defense. Kopitar backchecks. Kopitar hustles. Oh and PLD is on pace for 36 points, not 60+. Math is hard.
Not sure what Math has to do with future telling or crystal ball reading.
When i say 60+ player i go by average of former performances, which puts him into the 50+ point range.
With that said, i am convinced PLD should reach the 60 point mark in an AHL division.

The actual problem is that he should be in the 80 point range and control games, which makes me hating this trade from day 1 on.
Vilardi brought something special to the ice, even if injury prone and would look awesome as Arvidson replacement

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
You guys are hilarious, just set an NHL record and we're 16-5-4 and some people are still bitching about crap. oh Geez. I am a pessimist as well, but you guys take it up a notch. Can't even enjoy a beautiful year so far.
Sure if you are excited about the presidents trophy competition.. i think after 2 first round exists we are looking for the 3rd line solidifying and PLD finding his role on the team - so there is some concern. Other than that, im pretty excited about seeing scoring AND defense - happy with how Talbot and Englund have panned out, Byfield emergence is a huge relief and very exciting since there is a lot more upside. But if all we did was a lot of happy talk I think it would get pretty boring. Always have to look at what to improve.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You guys are hilarious, just set an NHL record and we're 16-5-4 and some people are still bitching about crap. oh Geez. I am a pessimist as well, but you guys take it up a notch. Can't even enjoy a beautiful year so far.

What if I told you you could do both?

Would that blow your mind like it does a few others?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Kopitar plays defense. Kopitar backchecks. Kopitar hustles. Oh and PLD is on pace for 36 points, not 60+. Math is hard.
People are comparing PLD to Kopitar?

By the time he was PLD's age, Kopitar already had a cup, tied for league lead in scoring in those playoffs, passed PLD's career high of 63 points 5 times, lead the team in scoring 5 times, and been among the top defensive forwards.

PLD led Columbus in scoring once during the COVID-shortened season.

There's no valid comparison unless you've got some irrational hate for Kopitar or you're a relative of PLD.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What the rest of the league just learned is that if you play very tight gaps, push them around a bit, and stand up at your blue line, the Kings will make zero adjustments, keep trying lateral passes 1 foot into the zone, and get nothing offensively.

This is exactly my worry and I got blasted for it after the Caps and another game but it manifested again this trip.

Give the Kings the outside and that's all they'll ever take, just protect your slot and play opportunistically. Basically, what teams started doing to Sutter...except he was able to adjust.

This team is built for regular season volume and playoff choking.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
This is exactly my worry and I got blasted for it after the Caps and another game but it manifested again this trip.

Give the Kings the outside and that's all they'll ever take, just protect your slot and play opportunistically. Basically, what teams started doing to Sutter...except he was able to adjust.

This team is built for regular season volume and playoff choking.
Fiala is one of the few guys we have that will actually attack the middle of the ice, even when it’s the dumb thing to do lol. Maybe Trevor Moore too, though less with finesse and more with drive.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
On a side note, I was watching the post game interview with Quick. Seemed like the game meant a lot to him in the sense that vintage Quick interviews are generally "2 points, move on", but he was a bit more forthcoming with his thoughts leading up to the game and the game itself relative to it being vs LA.

Will always love Quick and while it sucks to lose, I'm happy for him. Seeing him get into it with both Byfield and PLD was fun.

Love to see angry Byfield

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Some people can (you might want to sit down when you read this) actually do multiple things at once. I know it's a shock. But it's true. you can actually have fun and enjoy your team & their success...while at the same time finding areas for improvement and make critical analysis. PM me and i can go into more detail on this wonderful revelation -- it's truly a wonder living in modern times.

What if I told you you could do both?

Would that blow your mind like it does a few others?
Dang RJ beat me to the punch -- i didn't read the final page before replying lol. Me dumb

LilBallofHate

Apr 19, 2023
Sure if you are excited about the presidents trophy competition.. i think after 2 first round exists we are looking for the 3rd line solidifying and PLD finding his role on the team - so there is some concern. Other than that, im pretty excited about seeing scoring AND defense - happy with how Talbot and Englund have panned out, Byfield emergence is a huge relief and very exciting since there is a lot more upside. But if all we did was a lot of happy talk I think it would get pretty boring. Always have to look at what to improve.
Ok,I understand the concept of getting better. But the comments on here seem like that we're one of the worst teams. So if PLD had 15 goals and we sucked, it would be better? And because you think we may loose in the playoffs doesn't knock down success right now. We've all seen complete shit seasons, so just saying. Maybe we can win the division for once.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Ok,I understand the concept of getting better. But the comments on here seem like that we're one of the worst teams. So if PLD had 15 goals and we sucked, it would be better? And because you think we may loose in the playoffs doesn't knock down success right now. We've all seen complete shit seasons, so just saying. Maybe we can win the division for once.
No. It would be better if PLD had 15 goals and we were leading the division with games in hand.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I didnt say I thought we were going to lose in 2024 playoffs.. I said because they havent gotten out of the 1st round, there is a little heightened anxiety about some things but as you can see I personally am fairly optimistic.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I didnt say I thought we were going to lose in 2024 playoffs.. I said because they havent gotten out of the 1st round, there is a little heightened anxiety about some things but as you can see I personally am fairly optimistic.

Dude....you are a Kings fan...heightened anxiety comes with that.....it's never over until the buzzer hits and even then, sometimes, it's not.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Let's fast forward 8 years into the future. PLD is miraculously healthy and plays every game until the end of his contract. That means he will play 656 games in the regular season for the Kings.

Over the next 8 seasons, at this rate, PLD would be scoring 289 points with LA.

Since they were compared earlier, Kopitar scored 285 points his first four seasons in LA, which included when he was a rookie.

The closest comparison in Kings history with that number of games played and scoring at that clip is Mark Hardy, who scored 303 points in 616 games played.

I genuinely don't think PLD will have THAT little production over his tenure in LA, but there's a reason why we're saying he needs to improve sooner. The Kings can't afford to pay Mark Hardy $8.5 million over the next 8 seasons.

Reactions: Eagle Fang

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Let's fast forward 8 years into the future. PLD is miraculously healthy and plays every game until the end of his contract. That means he will play 656 games in the regular season for the Kings.

Over the next 8 seasons, at this rate, PLD would be scoring 289 points with LA.

Since they were compared earlier, Kopitar scored 285 points his first four seasons in LA, which included when he was a rookie.

The closest comparison in Kings history with that number of games played and scoring at that clip is Mark Hardy, who scored 303 points in 616 games played.

I genuinely don't think PLD will have THAT little production over his tenure in LA, but there's a reason why we're saying he needs to improve sooner. The Kings can't afford to pay Mark Hardy $8.5 million over the next 8 seasons.
I’d rather give the money to Charlie Huddy. At least he made the games spicy.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
8.5M is fine for a 25yo big two-way center who can score 60+ points and give you some physical play.

Problem is, he's not doing that.

If he comes around a plays his best game in the playoffs all will be forgiven, but I'm extremely annoyed by his play. He looks like junk.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Believe it or not some of us can parse individual play away from team play

The team can be great and we can still need a lot more from a player.

And if you want to win the division for once, a normally 60 point guy playing up to that helps a whole lot, doesn't it?

Reactions: King'sPawn

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Let me guess.....you also like the Clippers....and the LA Lazers....
F no.. some teams you're born with ie Cubs.. was Hawks fan but because the old wirtz was so cheap i could never watch them on TV living in SoCal so I adopted LAK, Hawks became secondary. It took many years to develop more loyalty to the Kings .. Bob Miller had a lot to do with it

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
F no.. some teams you're born with ie Cubs.. was Hawks fan but because the old wirtz was so cheap i could never watch them on TV living in SoCal so I adopted LAK, Hawks became secondary. It took many years to develop more loyalty to the Kings .. Bob Miller had a lot to do with it

Yea, I figure he had a ton to do with most every fan's locking on to LA etc, so Cubs, Bears, and Bulls eh? lol

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yea, I figure he had a ton to do with most every fan's locking on to LA etc, so Cubs, Bears, and Bulls eh? lol
Lakers and Chargers too... Bulls first ring v Lakers gave me nausea .. I guess great announcers like Chick and Bob (and of course Vin ) love their teams so much and are so compelling you cant help root for the team they are associated with.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Not a surprising outcome. The Rangers play a hard game and don't give up much ice, and the Kings will not impose their will against teams like the Rangers. Quick was good. Congratulations to him on what I am sure was a satisfying win.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Not gonna bother reading through all the comments but if people are trying to shit on Kopitar go check yourself.

First ballot HOF , leads the team in scoring again at age 50, go shit on someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad