GDT: 2023-24 season game 19 LA Kings vs Montreal Canadiens @1:00pm 11/25/23

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
If the Kings only played .500 hockey from here on out, they would end the season with 92 points.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
IMG_2246.jpeg

Better do it before he gets fired!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Those are some very underwhelming numbers. I know another poster mentioned this guy as a target, is he supposed to be a like a Dustin Penner type player?

He's supposed to be a net crashing power forward hitting everything that moves

But yes late stage Dustin Penner is a good comparison at this stage, he's a burnout

For sure he's learned here. He's balanced the ice time, they figured out the PK and brought in Hiller to help with the PP. He's not sticking to the 1-3-1 constantly, the team is changing how they play proactively rather than reactively. He's got the team confident and playing for each other.

He's still got his shortcomings but there is definitely less to bitch about. I never thought TM outright sucked, but rather was just a solid, average coach. He's always had a good head for the game, but he is developing the ability to adapt better which he had lacked in prior seasons. We started seeing it last year and it's clear he has gotten better at a lot of things.

The jury is always going to be out on him until he wins in the playoffs. He's a pretty honest dude as far as coaches go, and I think Todd himself would say that there aren't any excuses not to go deep with this squad.

The two man balls out forecheck working in the third was a nice new wrinkle and I hope he learned something from that

Sure you dont' want guys to gas out early a la Sutter but I love seeing him incorporate that into the bag of tricks so you don't just GIVE MCDAVID TWO ZONES to gain speed in

Beat up his dmen so he never gets the puck? Who ever would have thought! Oh, every team but us.

He chickens out and his nonstop choke jobs are often playing passive with a lead, trying not to lose instead of stepping on the throat. Let's hope he's learned.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
A backup is not what we need.

We need someone in net who can play half the games; an insurance policy against Talbot going cold or getting injured.

We need someone who's capable of getting hot and playing like a #1.

Unless you want to let what might be potentially the best regular season in franchise history rest on the shoulders of a 36 year old Talbot who hasn't played 50+ games since 2017-18.
I agree with you that we need a longer-term solution in net, but that is why we traded for Portillo. Talbot is our #1 right now and he's playing like it. There's always a chance for injury, but I don't see any reason to stress about goaltending right now. I also like the Buckley addition. He did wonders for the Pittsburgh goalies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I agree with you that we need a longer-term solution in net, but that is why we traded for Portillo. Talbot is our #1 right now and he's playing like it. There's always a chance for injury, but I don't see any reason to stress about goaltending right now. I also like the Buckley addition. He did wonders for the Pittsburgh goalies.
I'm not talking about the long term. I'm talking about right now.

We need another goalie who can split time with Talbot 50/50 and has the potential to get hot.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
It's not really that surprising.

I'll give you the PK, but LA was the 3rd best team in the league last year in 5v5 xGA.
Exactly, not that surprising at all. The team has improved every year under TM. For whatever stupid reasons, many on here have been unwilling to recognize that fact.

Reactions: mbar

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Those are some very underwhelming numbers. I know another poster mentioned this guy as a target, is he supposed to be a like a Dustin Penner type player?
I membah when some Habs fans said they wouldn't trade Anderson for Vilardi straight up.

This game also showed why I was never that high on Cole Caufield as a high first-round pick. He's talented, yet very dependent on facilitators for consistent success. I can't remember a time he ever appeared to be a scoring threat yesterday.

Now, sure, he's further along professionally than Turcotte, but I think had Turcotte had been able to stay healthy, then it would have been much closer to a wash.

Reactions: kinghock

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I membah when some Habs fans said they wouldn't trade Anderson for Vilardi straight up.

This game also showed why I was never that high on Cole Caufield as a high first-round pick. He's talented, yet very dependent on facilitators for consistent success. I can't remember a time he ever appeared to be a scoring threat yesterday.

Now, sure, he's further along professionally than Turcotte, but I think had Turcotte had been able to stay healthy, then it would have been much closer to a wash.

It was actually they said they wouldn't trade anderson even for Vilardi and a 1st
add it to the hit list of habs fans evaluating kings players
Danault contract is gonna be worth 1m per goal
woudln't take vilardi off waivers
repeatedly starting turcotte trade threads before motherf***ing him when we say no for a 5th
byfield for jake allen before calling him a bust
i wish i were joking about any of the above

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
It was actually they said they wouldn't trade anderson even for Vilardi and a 1st
add it to the hit list of habs fans evaluating kings players
Danault contract is gonna be worth 1m per goal
woudln't take vilardi off waivers
repeatedly starting turcotte trade threads before motherf***ing him when we say no for a 5th
byfield for jake allen before calling him a bust
i wish i were joking about any of the above
Were those responses from then habs gm marc begevin? Sounds like his talent evals...

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Exactly, not that surprising at all. The team has improved every year under TM. For whatever stupid reasons, many on here have been unwilling to recognize that fact.
Well on a rebuilding side that’s transitioning towards being a play-off team even an average coach should achieve that... unless the GM has completely soiled the bed. That said, if this were to continue we should all be happy at the end of the regular season and whilst the Jack Adams doesn’t include the post season, it’s that stretch he will stand or fall by… both T.Mac and Blake.

The three key areas are:
Post season coaching adjustments.
Goaltending
Physicality in play-off hockey

Until then I think we will all be on the same page. Until then there is no point anyone thinking the were right or wrong.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Well technically they actually got less far in the playoffs last year than they did the year before, so that's not entirely true, but I agree in theory

Last edited:

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

I’m not big on Caufield but I think if he was in LA with a guy like Fiala feeding him. Easy 40 goals.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
That said, if this were to continue we should all be happy at the end of the regular season and whilst the Jack Adams doesn’t include the post season, it’s that stretch he will stand or fall by… both T.Mac and Blake
What does that mean…stand or fall by? Are you insinuating these guys lose their jobs if there is another 1st round exit? I say if that happens, yet you have a Jack Adams candidate and one of the top teams all season long…not a f***ing chance these guys are going anywhere.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
What does that mean…stand or fall by? Are you insinuating these guys lose their jobs if there is another 1st round exit? I say if that happens, yet you have a Jack Adams candidate and one of the top teams all season long…not a f***ing chance these guys are going anywhere.

Absolutely if they are a top 5 team, and they lose ANOTHER 1st round.....TM is gone.....Blake maybe not so much, but TM for sure

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
No one has ever questioned whether TM is capable of coaching a team to a successful regular season. Another first round exit, which means a likely big upset, should absolutely put his job into question regardless of whether he wins the Jack Adams or if the Kings win the Presidents Trophy.

I’ll add that Ted Nolan was fired immediately after winning the Adams and Sutter a year after. It’s not unheard of.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
No one has ever questioned whether TM is capable of coaching a team to a successful regular season. Another first round exit, which means a likely big upset, should absolutely put his job into question regardless of whether he wins the Jack Adams or if the Kings win the Presidents Trophy.

I’ll add that Ted Nolan was fired immediately after winning the Adams and Sutter a year after. It’s not unheard of.
And there are plenty of instances where head coaches don’t get fired after not meeting expectations…don’t need to go through that list of noteworthy examples.

I guess like with mostly anything, it will be determined on the circumstances. Were there key injuries…did they have home ice…who was their opponent, etc.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Employers don’t pay employees to stagnate. Especially when the employee is responsible for depreciating assets. Todd won’t survive another first round exit. I agree with your logic.

Reactions: Nasti

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I'm not talking about the long term. I'm talking about right now.

We need another goalie who can split time with Talbot 50/50 and has the potential to get hot.
Guess you missed Copley’s last two games.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Guess you missed Copley’s last two games.
Happy he’s stepping up but I’m still not comfortable with him. His reactions are a tad slow and I’m surprised Montreal wasn’t able to capitalize on a few of the attempts. Would love for him to prove me wrong but I still think they need another goalie, Talbot has been great but he’s 37 years old, don’t know how long he can keep it up.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
If we go out in the 1st rd Blake would have little choice if we finished as a top 5 team. In that scenario either the coach fail against a lower seed or the GM gave him a bunch of chokers. Coach goes for sure, Blake would be at risk.

I’m not saying I think they will fall at the 1st round, but they certainly cannot afford to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad