GDT: 2023-24 season game 19 LA Kings vs Montreal Canadiens @1:00pm 11/25/23

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If the Kings have their best regular season in franchise history, and win the division, it's hard to imagine the coach getting fired even if they bow out in the 1st round.

I think it depends on how they lose also. And who they lose to.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If the Kings have their best regular season in franchise history, and win the division, it's hard to imagine the coach getting fired even if they bow out in the 1st round.

For the third year in a row in different situations and with the weight of expectations?

That would be a f***ing disaster. SOMEONE would have to take the fall for that.

Reactions: Gjwrams

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
And there are plenty of instances where head coaches don’t get fired after not meeting expectations…don’t need to go through that list of noteworthy examples.

I guess like with mostly anything, it will be determined on the circumstances. Were there key injuries…did they have home ice…who was their opponent, etc.
There’s a reason he only got a one year extension. He needs to do something in playoffs soon.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Happy he’s stepping up but I’m still not comfortable with him. His reactions are a tad slow and I’m surprised Montreal wasn’t able to capitalize on a few of the attempts. Would love for him to prove me wrong but I still think they need another goalie, Talbot has been great but he’s 37 years old, don’t know how long he can keep it up.
I'm not disagreeing with you guys, but Copley is more than capable as a backup and he's stepped up in a big way these past couple of games. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially for how he has battled and worked on his game. Talbot isn't 37 until July :P He's not washed. Look at Quick this year. Talbot just needs to stay healthy. He does better when he has volume.

I guess you missed his entire career.
Who would you rather have as a backup instead of Copley? I'd agree with you if he was our primary goalie. 90%+ people on the board are good with Talbot right now. He's been top tier. Can he get injured? Sure, but with our cap situation we don't have a lot of options either.

Typing out the number two should have dissuaded you
1701050082203.png

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

Having the best record in franchise history and winning the division should be expected with the amount of money and futures the Kings have burned the past few years to go into win-now mode. And frankly winning 1 round shouldn't been seen as some great accomplishment either. If they look uncompetitive and get bounced early in round 2 by Vegas for example then they should still consider making changes.

Reactions: Schrute farms

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Happy he’s stepping up but I’m still not comfortable with him. His reactions are a tad slow and I’m surprised Montreal wasn’t able to capitalize on a few of the attempts. Would love for him to prove me wrong but I still think they need another goalie, Talbot has been great but he’s 37 years old, don’t know how long he can keep it up.
While it's true Copley struggled greatly until the last two games, Kings are 4-0-2 when he has started. That's all he does is win, how you get there in the end matters little, it's still a W. Talbot is 36, not 37.

Reactions: lumbergh and bmr

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Who would you rather have as a backup instead of Copley? I'd agree with you if he was our primary goalie. 90%+ people on the board are good with Talbot right now. He's been top tier. Can he get injured? Sure, but with our cap situation we don't have a lot of options either.
We shouldn't be looking for a backup. That's my point.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
For the third year in a row in different situations and with the weight of expectations?

That would be a f***ing disaster. SOMEONE would have to take the fall for that.
"Getting out of the first round is very difficult"

-A. Mathews (probably)

King's have a backup, Talbot. Now just get a starter.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
While it's true Copley struggled greatly until the last two games, Kings are 4-0-2 when he has started. That's all he does is win, how you get there in the end matters little, it's still a W. Talbot is 36, not 37.
Of all the sports cliches in the world this is the one I wish would die the most. If Copley let in 15 goals a game and the offense somehow scored 16 every time, he would carry an immaculate record while being the worst goalie in history. Wins are a team stat, end of discussion

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Having the best record in franchise history and winning the division should be expected with the amount of money and futures the Kings have burned the past few years to go into win-now mode. And frankly winning 1 round shouldn't been seen as some great accomplishment either. If they look uncompetitive and get bounced early in round 2 by Vegas for example then they should still consider making changes.
Absurd.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
We shouldn't be looking for a backup. That's my point.
Okay, so are you proposing that Talbot should be the backup and we should be in the market for another goalie?

1701053167910.png

"Getting out of the first round is very difficult"

-A. Mathews (probably)

King's have a backup, Talbot. Now just get a starter.
Kings with the highest winning percentage in the Western Conference right now and we need a starter.

1701053322054.png

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Okay, so are you proposing that Talbot should be the backup and we should be in the market for another goalie?

View attachment 773770

Kings with the highest winning percentage in the Western Conference right now and we need a starter.

View attachment 773774
Talbot is old, signed for the season. Also can't ride him for 60 games & expect him to be healthy at the end of the season.

Either way King's need a starter going forward so get a good one by the deadline if possible or next summer.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Talbot is old, signed for the season. Also can't ride him for 60 games & expect him to be healthy at the end of the season.

Either way King's need a starter going forward so get a good one by the deadline if possible or next summer.
I agree that he's not a long-term solution but he has been playing way above any expectation anyone has had. Everyone was concerned that we were going to have to ride Talbot but Copley looks to have really corrected some issues and should be able to start in the range of 20-30 games.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

View attachment 773770

View attachment 773774
One of the biggest mistakes a team can make is allowing winning to let them overlook obvious problems on the roster, because those problems will eventually get exposed

Talbot's production right now is a total outlier.

Kings should be looking for a goalie who can do a 50/50 split and is capable of getting hot. That's not Copely.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I agree that he's not a long-term solution but he has been playing way above any expectation anyone has had. Everyone was concerned that we were going to have to ride Talbot but Copley looks to have really corrected some issues and should be able to start in the range of 20-30 games.
Talbot has been playing great & gives the King's a chance to win every night. Copley has improved the last couple of games which bought time to wait for the deadline.

Goal is still the biggest need the King's can improve at the deadline.

Reactions: Trash Panda

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
One of the biggest mistakes a team can make is allowing winning to let them overlook obvious problems on the roster, because those problems will eventually get exposed

Kings should be looking for a goalie who can do a 50/50 split and is capable of getting hot. That's not Copely.
Disagree. Talbot has had seasons where his save percentage has been .941, .926, .917, .919, .908, .919, .915, .911 and .931 this season. His outliers have been .893, .881 (only 4 GP) and .898 (Ottawa). Biggest question mark to me is him staying healthy.

I also think Copley is more than capable of playing a good chunk of time this year. He had a .903 in 37 games last year and that was with an arguably worse defense.

Reactions: bouncesonly

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Disagree. Talbot has had seasons where his save percentage has been .941, .926, .917, .919, .908, .919, .915, .911 and .931 this season. His outliers have been .893, .881 (only 4 GP) and .898 (Ottawa). Biggest question mark to me is him staying healthy.

I also think Copley is more than capable of playing a good chunk of time this year. He had a .903 in 37 games last year and that was with an arguably worse defense.
Thank you.

His health is the question mark and always was.

Reactions: Kudelski37

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Talbot has been playing great & gives the King's a chance to win every night. Copley has improved the last couple of games which bought time to wait for the deadline.

Goal is still the biggest need the King's can improve at the deadline.
this.
our deficiencys in goal are masked by 2 outstanding D pairs and one above average one. if blake is busy surfing or if we cant afford one, maybe we should look at rushing portillo up. the currentt pair of goaltenders wont endure and are not championship caliber. OR maybe we're headed for another playoff participation award.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
this.
our deficiencys in goal are masked by 2 outstanding D pairs and one above average one. if blake is busy surfing or if we cant afford one, maybe we should look at rushing portillo up. the currentt pair of goaltenders wont endure and are not championship caliber. OR maybe we're headed for another playoff participation award.

Defiiency in goal....is exactly what, that he's old? Or that you don't think he has what it takes?

He's clearly been one of the top goaltenders in the league.....so what exactly is the deficiency?

Reactions: bmr

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I mean, him being closer to 40 than 30 is also what I’d file as a “question mark”

It’s rarely a smooth dip in ability. At the pro level, it’s more of a cliff.
Well yes, the older you get the more of a question mark health becomes - for us all unfortunately. Many of the complaints when we signed him were are about his fundamental ability to stop the puck, not his durability/age.

I’m not saying an upgrade in goal wouldn’t be a good thing, every team would take that; however many of the posts about him were based on…. actually I’m not sure what they were based on but it wasn’t his play. My worry is that we over work him. The schedule has been kind so far, but they need to get Copley into more games and if they don’t think they can do that then yes we need another goaltender by the TDL. If they think this might be the year to properly go for it then I think they will make a move or two.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

This year is an outlier for Cam somewhat, but he's been good before. When he's been on good teams he has put up fabulous numbers. Career he's a .9141, good enough for 14th among active goalies. He's basically a wash with Bob and Holtby, right above MAF and Gibson. He's a damn good goalie. He's going to keep this up, too.

But agree 100% on Copley right now. He's showing more right now but he's getting the easiest starts. I worry about him facing top-flight teams where he'll see a lot more quality shots, if he does his numbers will drop off a cliff.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Well yes, the older you get the more of a question mark health becomes - for us all unfortunately. Many of the complaints when we signed him were are about his fundamental ability to stop the puck, not his durability/age.

I’m not saying an upgrade in goal wouldn’t be a good thing, every team would take that; however many of the posts about him were based on…. actually I’m not sure what they were based on but it wasn’t his play. My worry is that we over work him. The schedule has been kind so far, but they need to get Copley into more games and if they don’t think they can do that then yes we need another goaltender by the TDL. If they think this might be the year to properly go for it then I think they will make a move or two.
Kings just don't have the cap space to go after another goalie this year unless they offload one of the other players, which I don't see happening.

It's great to see Rittich and Portillo both looking good in Ontario if we potentially had to call one of them up:

#NameGPMinGAGAAWLTENGSOSavesSvPct
1Erik Portillo6360132.17510011640.927
31David Rittich11657262.38632232830.916

Reactions: Schrute farms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad