GDT: 2023-24 season game 12 LA Kings vs Vegas Golden Knights @7:00pm 11/8/23

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
What does an NHL coach know, when he's pointing out places where the Kings were weak?
Also noted how good the Kings are down the middle. Opposing coaches are no dummies. They spend all day trying to find the strengths and weaknesses to exploit. The league is taking notice of how much better the Kings are this season relative to last.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Thanks for your concern. My ex-wife is facing a battle with pancreatic cancer, and I am now living the single dad life for the time being , which doesn't allow me to stay up late or be as active on the forums (other than when she is in school). But considering I was active yesterday afternoon in a thread you were in, (defending QB no less) I thought you wouldn't go down the same "hiding" argument.

I thought I would reply so that you wouldn't create another separate thread like you did last season due to your bizarre and unhealthy obsession with me and other people here.

For somebody who always claims to "have a life" and "I have better things to do" when people ask you to have an actual debate, you sure do spend a lot of time on this forum contributing nothing.
Hey Herby, I’m so sorry to hear what your wife, family and you are going through. For what it’s worth, I’m sending good vibes your way and hope your wife’s road to recovery comes as quickly and painlessly as possible.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Thanks for your concern. My ex-wife is facing a battle with pancreatic cancer, and I am now living the single dad life for the time being , which doesn't allow me to stay up late or be as active on the forums (other than when she is in school). But considering I was active yesterday afternoon in a thread you were in, (defending QB no less) I thought you wouldn't go down the same "hiding" argument.

I thought I would reply so that you wouldn't create another separate thread like you did last season due to your bizarre and unhealthy obsession with me and other people here.

For somebody who always claims to "have a life" and "I have better things to do" when people ask you to have an actual debate, you sure do spend a lot of time on this forum contributing nothing.
I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I hope she has a fast recovery and your family can return to having more peace.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Cassidy seems to have a really good grasp of what is going on especially for a post game interview. That’s a good coach for sure.
yeah that was the first time i've watched a postgame from him, guy comes off really sharp

Reactions: Sol

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Is that based on current points? If so, I would take it with a grain of salt, since I wouldn't expect Edmonton (who the Kings play 4 more times) to keep at this pace (36 points, lol).

Vancouver is built a lot different than the Kings, the Kings are just so deep up front and come at you in waves, while kind of lacking top end star talent and a stud goaltender. Vancouver has questionable depth but they have two of the best players in the world right now and I am a big believer in Demko (if he can stay healthy). They also got a huge gift from Yzerman, Hronek was the perfect partner for Hughes.

I think a Kings-Canucks series would be a hell of a go if it were to happen.
I believe it is just points-based, yeah. I know some of the fancy stats folks put out strength-of-schedule rankings, but I haven’t seen any yet this year.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
So 7-0-0 is the best road start ever? In the history of the league?

The record is apparently 15 games. We have some work to do lol

It kind of sucks for the Kings that Vancouver has gotten Edmonton 3 times while they are in this massive funk and the Kings haven't gotten them once yet, and don't get them until Dec 30th.

I'm guessing the Oilers figure things out sooner than later, but that won't change the fact that Vancouver got 6 points from them when they were in the dumps.

I do think Vancouver is going to be there with the Kings and Vegas the entire season, that is a very good roster as well. I think the Kings and Canucks first round matchup is a strong possibility.

All the stats say that Edmonton is an extremely strong possession and xGF team, they are just getting supernaturally unlucky right now. They of course will figure things out when they play the Kings and crush us, it is destiny

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
That single goal last night might have been a blessing. No pressure on koala to start cam again with the shutout steak.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The record is apparently 15 games. We have some work to do lol

All the stats say that Edmonton is an extremely strong possession and xGF team, they are just getting supernaturally unlucky right now. They of course will figure things out when they play the Kings and crush us, it is destiny
What’s pretty crazy too, I don’t know how the fancy stats for Vancouver look but they’re already at 30+ goal differential. For example the Kings are at 17, and the knights are at 21. Vancouver must be playing a very solid game to be up that much.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
What’s pretty crazy too, I don’t know how the fancy stats for Vancouver look but they’re already at 30+ goal differential. For example the Kings are at 17, and the knights are at 21. Vancouver must be playing a very solid game to be up that much.

Vancouver is getting pretty lucky with a very easy schedule on top of it, they do not on average control possession or out chance teams. But that is where their top guys have been their top guys in producing at all world levels.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Vancouver is getting pretty lucky with a very easy schedule on top of it, they do not on average control possession or out chance teams. But that is where their top guys have been their top guys in producing at all world levels.
So the numbers are just reflecting that team play isn’t all too good, however their top heavy players are masking those issues?

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
It kind of sucks for the Kings that Vancouver has gotten Edmonton 3 times while they are in this massive funk and the Kings haven't gotten them once yet, and don't get them until Dec 30th.

I'm guessing the Oilers figure things out sooner than later, but that won't change the fact that Vancouver got 6 points from them when they were in the dumps.

I do think Vancouver is going to be there with the Kings and Vegas the entire season, that is a very good roster as well. I think the Kings and Canucks first round matchup is a strong possibility.
Watched McSaviour,he's not the same and if I was Edmonton I'd sit him down maybe for the year cause he's obviously injured

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Edmonton's timing has been terrible. If you are going to have a terrible luck and poor streak, it's better if it happens against the great teams. They have strong underlying metrics and will bounce back somewhat, but they'll have to do it against the better teams in the league. Much more likely to lose those even if a team is playing well.

I'm hoping that SJ doesn't win tonight, a coaching change might wake the OIlers up.
I think the Oilers are going to fire the coach and GM and maybe trade Draisaitl cause the Shit-Show is going to get worse when they have to sit down McSaviour cause he's obviously injured and laboring

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
The win was awesome. It's great Talbot is healthy and taking advantage of the opportunity.

Winning in the regular season and having a great RS record is great. Just like last year with 100+ points. Ultimately the true determination of things will be the playoffs. I still have major concerns playoff wise for our goalie situation (Talbot staying healthy), size/toughness (e.g., Lizzi getting abused yet again in playoffs) and wearing down DD/Kopi. But for now, it's great. Keep it up boys!

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Vancouver is legit good.

Elite #1 Center. Elite #1 Defenseman. Elite #1 goaltender.

Plus a handful of good supporting players.

BUT, their record is a bit exaggerated and they should regress back somewhat. Still likely a 100pts+ team. Especially if Demko keeps playing like this.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The fancy stats aren't great for them. They are decent in possession metrics, right in the middle at #17.

They are 30th in the league in expected goals for. Basically, a bunch of stuff is going in for them that shouldn't. They are 22nd in expected goals against.

Overall, they are 29th in the league in xGF%, at 44.02. Their actual GF% is best in the league at 72.73. That's a monstrous gap of over 28%. The next biggest gap is the over-performing Ducks at around 9%.

Put it this way, the Sharks have been performing historically bad and are producing way less than expected. Vancouvers positive gap is even bigger than SJ's negative one.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
Vegas was blocking a TON of shots, which was super frustrating to watch. Props to them for buying in, though. Goalie doesn't have to make a save if the shots don't get through. Nice to see the first goal was the result of a nice bounce off one of the defenders, though.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Vancouver is legit good.

Elite #1 Center. Elite #1 Defenseman. Elite #1 goaltender.

Plus a handful of good supporting players.

BUT, their record is a bit exaggerated and they should regress back somewhat. Still likely a 100pts+ team. Especially if Demko keeps playing like this.

I agree, but that is true of a lot of things early in the year.

Edmonton is not going to end up with 36 points
Vegas is not going to end up with 135 points
Vancouver is not going to end up with 130 points
The Kings are not going to end up with 123 points

Kopitar is not going to score 48 goals
Quinn Hughes is not going to have 137 points

It's still, but for the teams getting the points now (LAK, VEG, VAN) they are giving themselves a pretty nice cushion on a team like EDM that everyone expected to be there. Even if the Kings played the rest of the season at the same .634 point % they had last season and ended up with 107 points, the Oilers would need to get 102 points in their final 71 games to tie the Kings. That is a .718 clip, extremely challenging.

Last edited:
That was quite a satisfying win. Seeing the frustration from the Vegas players was priceless and shows the Kings are doing something right. If the Kings can continue to get decent goaltending I really think they are a contender this year. That's obviously the elephant in the room and everyone knows it but the defense and goaltending are firing on all cylinders. The Kings started off the year looking like they would need score 6 goals a night and now they are shutting down the opposing team's entire offense. It's like watching a constrictor snake suffocate its prey.

Reactions: jgs and King'sPawn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad