Votes: 18 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Many fans here questioned the decision to end the rebuild. But when people are fed lies like "Ahead of schedule on the rebuild" (Pravda) or "we are one of the 8 true contenders" (Robitaille) they believe it.

I just look at this team and I don't see how what they did after the 20-21 season was ever a smart thing. Teams just aren't trading superstar A-level players (well one was due to weird circumstances, and Blake passed :huh:), all these guys get locked up to 7-8 year deals and built around by the teams who draft them. Guys like PLD and Fiala are moved because they just aren't at that level, they are good players, but they aren't game breakers. You need to draft those kinds of players, we should have made difficult decisions with some veterans and been terrible in 21-22, 22-23 and probably this year too. We needed to give ourselves a chance at not only Bedard (someone was going to get him) but also Cooley, Fantilli, Carlsson, Eiserman, Celebrini, Demidov.

Didn't we though? We had a shot at Hughes, got dunked on by the lottery and picked 5th. Then the Rangers, a playoff team jumped everyone and got number one, and so on. [You don't have to bring up our drafting, its been beaten to death] I highly doubt AEG would let them suck for 5 or more straight years, then wait 3 more for some of the hopefuls to become stars. For all we know, it was Cheseman who said accelerate the rebuild. Its a tough spot to be in as an owner, especially with the massive losses he had during the pandemic.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Moore is untradeable.

The answer is and always has been to trade Roy. It’s the most braindead easy move to make and a vocal minority of us have been screaming about it for months now.

Roy is not a needle mover. He’s a perfectly fine top four RHD, and that’s it. He is utterly expendable with players like Spence and Clarke in the wings.

The decision to hold on to players like Walker Durzi and Roy these past few years has seriously impacted this organization’s ability to ice a competitive cost controlled blueline.

Rob Blake is f***ing horrible at his job.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I know he’s not on here, that we know of, but the team President believes this is one of the top ten teams in the league and a contender.

So does the GM
So does the Head of Propaganda

They have all said it's a contending team and they expect to do damage in the playoffs. And that is with TMac as the coach and with Talbot/Copley in net (so they can't use those things as excuses)

I just struggle to see how with this goaltending, and without having players like we saw tonight with MacKinnon, Makar and Rantanen how this is possible. I just hope Blake doesn't sit on his hands and refuse to make a trade for a goaltender like he did with Eichel. Even if it's an overpayment, this team has a 2-3 year window and then they are going to be terrible after that, can't worry about losing a trade to find a goaltender you can count on.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Todd needs to be fired for all these lies he dispels to the media

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Didn't we though? We had a shot at Hughes, got dunked on by the lottery and picked 5th. Then the Rangers, a playoff team jumped everyone and got number one, and so on. [You don't have to bring up our drafting, its been beaten to death] I highly doubt AEG would let them suck for 5 or more straight years, then wait 3 more for some of the hopefuls to become stars. For all we know, it was Cheseman who said accelerate the rebuild. Its a tough spot to be in as an owner, especially with the massive losses he had during the pandemic.

AEG let them suck for years when DL took over, resulting in the drafting of a Hall of Fame defenseman, who combined with the inherited HOF C and HOF goaltender led to the greatest success the team has ever seen, and the greatest financial results AEG has seen from the Kings. These are the types of players you need to have to win Stanley Cups in the cap NHL. The Kings don't have any players anywhere close to the level those 3 were playing at in the Cup years. Also, there has never once been anything reported that Blake wanted to do a traditional rebuild and was forced to enter the blackhole by AEG. In fact quite the opposite they have been pretty consistent in saying from the start that they still believed Kopitar and Doughty could be the franchise players on a contender, they said it after the Palace Coup 2017 and they said it in 2021 when they ended the rebuild and they said it again before this season. These guys do lie more than anyone, so who knows, but there has never been any indication that this was AEG's doing.

Of course it's fair to bring up the drafting, the results have been horrible and it has caused a lot of other issues, including the loss of some very valuable assets trying to fill the offensive holes that those picks should have filled.. Back to back Top 5 pick centers and no-game changing player, neither one even projected as a C anymore, that's a failure, especially with who they passed on both years, you can't just ignore that or say not to mention it. Those holes were filled by trading Brock Faber, Gabe Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kupari, Sean Durzi and multiple 1st round picks. People have said "Well I'd rather have Fiala and PLD than Stutzle and Boldy or Stutzle and Caufield" and maybe so, that is their opinion. But add all those assets traded to get them, and do you still feel that way?

What you said, happens sometimes and teams should adjust, Chicago didn't end their rebuild after Cam Barker and Jack Skille, they lost out on Malkin in 2004 for Barker (probably the worst lottery loss in history) and flushed a pick down the toilet in Skille, they were rewarded for their patience with HOF's Toews and Kane in back to back drafts. Edmonton had a bunch of high picks and never found any difference makers but kept on giving themselves chances until they drafted Hall of Fame locks in back to back drafts. I just wish LA had done that, even if it meant a divorce from 11 and 8. I feel like what happened in 2021 was like having a kid to try and save the marriage with those guys, instead of just admitting the relationship had run it's course.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
AEG let them suck for years when DL took over, resulting in the drafting of a Hall of Fame defenseman, who combined with the inherited HOF C and HOF goaltender led to the greatest success the team has ever seen, and the greatest financial results AEG has seen from the Kings. These are the types of players you need to have to win Stanley Cups in the cap NHL. The Kings don't have any players anywhere close to the level those 3 were playing at in the Cup years. Also, there has never once been anything reported that Blake wanted to do a traditional rebuild and was forced to enter the blackhole by AEG. In fact quite the opposite they have been pretty consistent in saying from the start that they still believed Kopitar and Doughty could be the franchise players on a contender, they said it after the Palace Coup 2017 and they said it in 2021 when they ended the rebuild and they said it again before this season. These guys do lie more than anyone, so who knows, but there has never been any indication that this was AEG's doing.

Of course it's fair to bring up the drafting, the results have been horrible and it has caused a lot of other issues, including the loss of some very valuable assets trying to fill the offensive holes that those picks should have filled.. Back to back Top 5 pick centers and no-game changing player, neither one even projected as a C anymore, that's a failure, especially with who they passed on both years, you can't just ignore that or say not to mention it. Those holes were filled by trading Brock Faber, Gabe Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kupari, Sean Durzi and multiple 1st round picks. People have said "Well I'd rather have Fiala and PLD than Stutzle and Boldy or Stutzle and Caufield" and maybe so, that is their opinion. But add all those assets traded to get them, and do you still feel that way?

What you said, happens sometimes and teams should adjust, Chicago didn't end their rebuild after Cam Barker and Jack Skille, they lost out on Malkin in 2004 for Barker (probably the worst lottery loss in history) and flushed a pick down the toilet in Skille, they were rewarded for their patience with HOF's Toews and Kane in back to back drafts. Edmonton had a bunch of high picks and never found any difference makers but kept on giving themselves chances until they drafted Hall of Fame locks in back to back drafts. I just wish LA had done that, even if it meant a divorce from 11 and 8. I feel like what happened in 2021 was like having a kid to try and save the marriage with those guys, instead of just admitting the relationship had run it's course.

You have to admit, they got really lucky with Kane. We had one of the best chances at him, and our terrible lottery luck dropped us to 4th, and the Hawks jumping 4 places and got him. Kane instead of Hickey...damn.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Is anyone surprised by this?

The Kings were head to head with Chicago around the same time and one team has an exciting and TOUGH young team and the other has only two back to back first round exits, no salary cap, and the middle average age in the NHL.

Plus, soft as shit with shitty goaltending.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I know he’s not on here, that we know of, but the team President believes this is one of the top ten teams in the league and a contender.

So does the GM
So does the Head of Propaganda

They have all said it's a contending team and they expect to do damage in the playoffs.

I just struggle to see how with this goaltending, and without players like we saw tonight with MacKinnon, Makar and Rantanen how this is possible. I just hope Blake doesn't sit on his hands and refuse to make a trade for a goaltender before it's to late.. Even if it's an overpayment, this team has a 2-3 year window and then they are going to be terrible after that, can't worry about losing a trade at this point, not when you are in such a short win-now window.
Is anyone surprised by this?

The Kings were head to head with Chicago around the same time and one team has an exciting and TOUGH young team and the other has only two back to back first round exits, no salary cap, and the middle average age in the NHL.

Plus, soft as shit with shitty goaltending.
I was in Chicago yesterday, they aren't excited for the toughness, they are excited because they have their superstar for their next generation. They found Kane's replacement right away. Kopitar's replacement was never found, despite three Top 12 picks used to try and find it.

You have to admit, they got really lucky with Kane. We had one of the best chances at him, and our terrible lottery luck dropped us to 4th, and the Hawks jumping 4 places and got him. Kane instead of Hickey...damn.

And they got unlucky with Malkin. Even if the lottery results hold up those years they end up with a Hall of Fame superstar in Malkin paired with Toews, Seabrook and Keith and they still win multiple cups.

The Kings did win the lottery in 2020, going from four to two and in position to draft the biggest star in the draft, and they didn't. The Kings had chances to draft Stutzle, Zegras, Boldy, Caufield, Suzuki, Norris, Seider and didn't, just tough to blame that on lottery luck.

Reactions: SlimCharles

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I didn't realize that Byram was such a rat. He's who I wanted that draft, too.
I watched his old man play so I’m not surprised in the slightest. I thought his old man was box office so it’s not a criticism, I should add.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The Kings did win the lottery in 2020, going from four to two and in position to draft the biggest star in the draft, and they didn't. The Kings had chances to draft Stutzle, Zegras, Boldy, Caufield, Suzuki, Norris, Seider and didn't, just tough to blame that on lottery luck.
I do not necessarily disagree with some things you say but now you just take it to another level. yeah sure, like drafting is rocket science. The Kings picked who who they should have picked.

Sorry but now i am starting to understand you think everything LA is doing sucks.

That comment is absolutely ridiculous criticism.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was told you can win with just any average goalie though

And also called the arvy thing the moment he left practice, someone owes me an apology for teeing off on me after that

But the thing is the “this is a good team just need a good goalie” talk seems to neglect that’s WHY the roster looks so mean, there’s only so much money to go around and Blake blew his wad on shiny new toy forwards instead of starting to integrate the youth they should have been integrating for the last five years. They can exchange that for a goalie now…then they won’t look as good. It’s not as simple as “just make a move for a goalie” for that reason, to say nothing of the fact That Blake waits till his back is fully against the wall and can be taken hostage in a trade to address a need. We saw this with LHD and we will see it with G.

These guys will sell the farm to save their jobs. Gettin ready for the black hole of all black holes.

Moore is untradeable.

The answer is and always has been to trade Roy. It’s the most braindead easy move to make and a vocal minority of us have been screaming about it for months now.

Roy is not a needle mover. He’s a perfectly fine top four RHD, and that’s it. He is utterly expendable with players like Spence and Clarke in the wings.

The decision to hold on to players like Walker Durzi and Roy these past few years has seriously impacted this organization’s ability to ice a competitive cost controlled blueline.

Rob Blake is f***ing horrible at his job.

You and I both know that these guys would trade Roy only to play Englund next to Gavrikov then run a 3rd pairing of toby and Santini.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I do not necessarily disagree with some things you say but now you just take it to another level. yeah sure, like drafting is rocket science. The Kings picked who who they should have picked.

Sorry but now i am starting to understand you think everything LA is doing sucks.

Clearly somebody, whether it be scouting, developmental, GM, SOMEBODY should be held accountable for all these early draft failures, right? Or are we seriously saying that when it's your job to select and develop young players, it doesn't matter if you fail over and over?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Also for anyone that’s played—I’m not sure there’s anything more frustrating than getting out goalies night after night. We will see how their psyches do when we are pouring on 40 shots a night and losing with sub .900 goaltending.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I was told you can win with just any average goalie though

And also called the arvy thing the moment he left practice, someone owes me an apology for teeing off on me after that

But the thing is the “this is a good team just need a good goalie” talk seems to neglect that’s WHY the roster looks so mean, there’s only so much money to go around and Blake blew his wad on shiny new toy forwards instead of starting to integrate the youth they should have been integrating for the last five years. They can exchange that for a goalie now…then they won’t look as good. It’s not as simple as “just make a move for a goalie” for that reason, to say nothing of the fact That Blake waits till his back is fully against the wall and can be taken hostage in a trade to address a need. We saw this with LHD and we will see it with G.

These guys will sell the farm to save their jobs. Gettin ready for the black hole of all black holes.

You and I both know that these guys would trade Roy only to play Englund next to Gavrikov then run a 3rd pairing of toby and Santini.
I completely agree that it's fair to question the direction the team took when it abandoned the rebuild a few years ago. That's a different question to me than dealing with the cap issues as they exist today. I think there are valid points on both sides (a tank job doesn't guarantee anything vs. hitching your wagon to a bunch of non-stars isn't enough to carry you throughout the playoffs).

Being that Blake took the direction he did that led into this summer, however, how would you have suggested solving the goalie problem heading into this year? Maybe it's difficult to separate prior decisions that led to this point from what choices were available this summer, but I'm looking at the math and I don't see how the goalie problem could have been solved even if the Kings kept Iafallo, Vilardi, and Kupari. The cap hits for those three essentially equal PLD's cap hit, so you're basically left with the same limited amount to go around.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

Yup, and this is the garbage we will get after EVERY loss...who am I kidding, we get this every day!

Bustfield looked damn good last night though...it's coming baby, it's coming.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Being that Blake took the direction he did that led into this summer, however, how would you have suggested solving the goalie problem heading into this year? Maybe it's difficult to separate prior decisions that led to this point from what choices were available this summer, but I'm looking at the math and I don't see how the goalie problem could have been solved even if the Kings kept Iafallo, Vilardi, and Kupari. The cap hits for those three essentially equal PLD's cap hit, so you're basically left with the same limited amount to go around.
Arvidsson, Lizotte, Grundstrom and likely Roy should have been traded to make room for youth and make cap space for a decent goalie.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Clearly somebody, whether it be scouting, developmental, GM, SOMEBODY should be held accountable for all these early draft failures, right? Or are we seriously saying that when it's your job to select and develop young players, it doesn't matter if you fail over and over?
If you go off board, yes.

They took who they should.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

You do realize I was replying to a post that claimed that Chicago, a team who 3 years before had one of the worst lottery beats ever was “lucky” that it evened out with Patrick Kane, and also pointing out that the Kings the year after falling in the lottery, moved up in 2020 a draft that was seen as having a clear 1 and then a clear 2-3. So it was basically the same situation that Chicago had in 2004 and 2007, which he claimed was “lucky” by his own logic wasn’t LA lucky in 2020? Am I wrong to point that out?

Sorry that pisses you off so much.

Maybe I should do what you’re more into and direct a nasty reply at a respected member board of this board who spends probably dozens of hours every year watching video and analyzing Kings prospects and shares it here with all of us free of cost to..

“Just shut the f*** up and go be Ducks fans”

Simply for saying he disagrees with organization decisions.

I find people that think like that are “absolutely ridiculous”

You showed exactly what kind of community you want when you endorsed that ridiculous shot at him (the same one that the loser ilk crew directs at everyone who wants to have factual discussions both good and bad. But hey this one has the endorsement of Axl and the other clown who liked the “shut the F up and go be a ducks fan” post. Good job, you must be so proud to be in the tent with Axl and Wildturkey. I’ll personally take people like KP, RJ, BigKing but to each his own. If you don’t want to have any kind of discussion about stuff like this please, ignore me, I don’t want to lessen your enjoyment here (I’m sure the other “Ducks fans” would say the same). Maybe Axl can link you to the secret forum where everyone loves him and thinks like him. You’d fit in perfectly, I’m sure the secret code to enter is “Blake”

Oh and as for your other comment about “they picked who they should have in all the drafts” so Blake gets no criticism for overriding his scouts in 2019 to draft a player that showed immediately that he never should have been drafted top 5 and the guy the scouts wanted is a semi-star an hour down the 5? No blame at all for that?

If drafting is just about picking the highest ranked guys why even have a scouting staff? Just bring a copy of the CSB lists and pick whoever is highest, right? And on the bright side the CSB at least won’t be able to BS the fanbase in interviews

It’s so funny, some Kings fans will readily admit that DT deserved to lose his job, largely because of his failures at the draft table (which I agree with), but all Taylor did most drafts was take the highest guy on CSB, you are a longtime fan, you remember that. Now here we are almost 2 decades later and some of those same fans, like yourself are excusing Blake’s draft results (which have been as bad as Taylor’s) with the “you can’t blame him he’s just taking guys where they are ranked”

Please tell me how it’s different now? Why does Blake get a pass for choosing poorly, while Taylor got a pink slip?

Last edited:
Reactions: kilowatt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad