• miss playoffs

Votes: 18 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Hated that trade from minute one, still hate it.

Faber has the very real potential of being a franchise cornerstone for a decade. You want to get past McDavid and go for a long playoff run, you need a Faber far more than a Fiala.

Fiala is essentially Neymar. Flashy talent, an eye catching style, but a ten cent head, a ridiculous diver, and a propensity for putting himself over the team game with over-handling and incredibly selfish penalties.

The Kings would simply be much, much better off if they hadn't made that trade. Real, tangible stuff over smoke and mirrors, all day every day.
Did you legit just compare Fiala to Neymar to make him sound bad because that definitely had the opposite effect. The Kings are a much better team with Fiala and the offense was dead without him. Fiala gives the Kings offense a whole new dynamic by himself. Great play maker and scorer. People gave Kobe shit for being a bit selfish but he was good enough that that complaint went nowhere. Fiala can afford to put himself first because he has the talent to get results for the team by doing so. Fiala trade has paid off for the Kings. He’s exactly who they needed. Faber could have been a good dman for the Kings too but it wouldn’t mean anything if they couldn’t get past the first round. And Faber is not going to make up for the shit goaltending the Kings have so if you’re gonna say “where have the Kings gotten with Fiala” I can easily say the Kings would be nowhere with Faber as well. That doesn’t make Fiala a bad player nor acquisition.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Byfield looked good, he is more comfortable playing wing, and the Kings should go forward with that being the plan, some guys just don't process the game quick enough and QB probably falls into that category. On the wing he can focus on less things and use his natural tools and athleticism to better impact the game. It's kind of the same reasons why people proposed back in the day that Jack Johnson should play wing, another great athlete with really good tools who just didn't process the game that well. I think had JJ come up as a winger he would have had a better career than he had as a d-man.

I still don't see anything that resembles a star player that you would expect from the top of the draft, the Kings and the scouting community as a whole probably fell for the size /skill combination that has kind of historically gotten teams who take players 6'4+ in the Top 5. But if QB can effectively play as the 3rd best player on a 1st line or the 2nd best player on a second line for the next 3 seasons in the Kings window he can be a quality piece to the team. Alex Smith was still pretty good for the 49'ers even if he wasn't Aaron Rodgers.

I saw more star ability last night from Laferriere than I did all last season from Byfield.

Byfield looked good last night, as did Dubois, and a single game against one of the best teams in the league isn’t indicative of how this season will go.

But… we should also be one of the best teams in the league. We have traded significant assets and spent significant amounts of money to be positioned as a cup contender. Anything less is a failure, no? I don’t even think “getting out of the first round” is a success, I think this team needs to do more than that.

A modern successful NHL team has to do two things: 1. develop homegrown players, and 2. find players who outproduce their relative cap hits. The Kings haven’t done a great job at either one of those.

tws38

May 15, 2020
I was under the impression that the whole point of overpaying Englund and giving him the 2nd year was to dissuade teams from picking him up off waivers. Why do that if we aren’t going to put him on waivers at times we need flexibility like we do now? Sure would have been nice if we could have had Spence on PP2 last night and have Bjornfot on his stronger side.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I saw more star ability last night from Laferriere than I did all last season from Byfield.

Byfield looked good last night, as did Dubois, and a single game against one of the best teams in the league isn’t indicative of how this season will go.

But… we should also be one of the best teams in the league. We have traded significant assets and spent significant amounts of money to be positioned as a cup contender. Anything less is a failure, no? I don’t even think “getting out of the first round” is a success, I think this team needs to do more than that.

A modern successful NHL team has to do two things: 1. develop homegrown players, and 2. find players who outproduce their relative cap hits. The Kings haven’t done a great job at either one of those.
I don’t think it’s debatable that Laferriere shows a lot more star power than at any point in Byfields career in the NHL in 1 game. But Byfield is trending in the right direction if he can build off the last game. He needs that kind of a performance regularly and to improve on top of it to ease people

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
That line was getting tougher matchups when possible, I really don't want Grundy on anything but the 4th for deployments alone. At least Lewis can defend still.
I hear you but Lewis looked terrible. And they had Dubois line against Makinnon most of the game. Its a nit but Koala lever pulls never seem to work out. Still no Spence is galling.

1697133340757.png

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

You are correct. When you trade back to back 1st round picks and an elite prospect Brock Faber (easily 1st round value asset) + Vilardi for high priced veterans you are saying that you think you are contenders.

If the Kings win a round and then lose a hard fought 7 game series vs someone like Vegas you can make a case you are close, getting crushed in round 2 you have to take a serious look at changes, and certainly losing in round 1 or missing the playoffs should result in the type of house cleaning we saw in 2006 and 2017. If you can't win a playoff series in 7 seasons when you gutted your future for immediate success it's certainly time to turn the page and get a fresh vision.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I keep seeing some cherry picking of positives; meanwhile saying the loss was understandable because it's Colorado and they are so good.

If you can't hang in a game at home against a top 5-10 team in the league, then what's the point for going all in and trading futures, using all cap space, etc. for this year's team?!?

Maybe the point is to be an above average team in the league and get (lose) into the 1st round of playoffs. If so, then mission accomplished & job well done.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I keep seeing some cherry picking of positives; meanwhile saying the loss was understandable because it's Colorado and they are so good.

If you can't hang in a game at home against a top 5-10 team in the league, then what's the point for going all in and trading futures, using all cap space, etc. for this year's team?!?

Maybe the point is to be an above average team in the league and get (lose) into the 1st round of playoffs. If so, then mission accomplished & job well done.
81 games left - I'm betting my house that the story is yet to be told.

Oh, and how did the Stanley Cup contender, Edmonton Oilers do last night against a team not even picked to make the playoffs?

Reactions: funky

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You replied to me making a factual statement about lotteries and who the Kings passed on by calling it, let me check, oh yeah "ridiculous". So just to confirm, stating a fact about lottery results is ok for you to decide it's "ridiculous", but calling someone "ridiculous" for liking a post that told KP, a long-time and respected poster who contributes greatly to the community to "shut the f up and go be a Ducks fan" doesn't warrant a response that includes the worlds "ridiculous"? Haha.

If you don't like what I post then by all means ignore me and ignore more of the "borderliners" and you can have wonderful discussions with Axl, Wildturkey and fearthefur. If there was a poll here for worst poster it would look like the results of a North Korean election, so if you want to agree with that person and what he thinks, that is on you. I'm sure the "borderliners" (whoever they may be) contribute significantly more to the forum than Axl does.
I appreciate the defense and kind words.

I didn't even know I was told to stfu though as whomever said it is someone I already ignored. I already know they contribute nothing. Though based on your description of it, I already know who it was.

Reactions: Herby

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Oh, and how did the Stanley Cup contender, Edmonton Oilers do last night against a team not even picked to make the playoffs?
Why don’t you make a prediction instead of where this team will end up this year in positioning and if they make the playoffs, which round do they get bounced?

Don’t be a coward for once. Stake a position for a change.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Why don’t you make a prediction instead of where this team will end up this year in positioning and if they make the playoffs, which round do they get bounced?

Don’t be a coward for once. Stake a position for a change.
Why, so I can look like a f-ing fool if I'm wrong? I'll save that for my other friends around here...thx.

I've never claimed to be Nostradamus. Predictions are stupid, I learned my lesson in 2012.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020

speaking of cherry picking....
Mr. Goal Post Mover jumping into a comment and answering a question that wasn't asked.
BTW, if Edm is that bad, then it does not bode too well for the Kings SC chances this year because they are better than the Kings.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Why, so I can look like a f-ing fool if I'm wrong? I'll save that for my other friends around here...thx.

I've never claimed to be Nostradamus. Predictions are stupid, I learned my lesson in 2012.
No, so you don’t look spineless. And trust me you staking a position or not is not going to make anyone think any worse of you since you’ve done enough damage to your reputation as it is. It will just make you look like a person with conviction rather than a bad faith actor.

If you’re too afraid to I’d just suggest you behave more kindly to the people who are willing to stake a claim. Or maybe just go back 4Chan and troll people there since it’s filled with people who just talk shit for the sake of talking shit.

• Haha

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
My take on the game after being there last night:

I thought that for large chunks of the game, the Kings controlled play. I could see the logic of our team set-up, rolling wave after wave of quality players and wearing down the opposition over time.

However, our lack of true game breaking star power is still evident. Dubois and Fiala had some good chances but did not take over the game. The Danault line controlled play but didn't have a scorer on there to capitalize. While Byfield played well, Kopitar looks completely cooked despite making some decent plays in the micro.

Meanwhile, the D is great when they can clog the neutral zone and then force a bad dump or zone entry to quickly get the puck out, but they are incapable of retrieving the puck once a sustained press happens. This compounds with the Dubois line, which gets stuck in its own zone far too much. Dubois needs to figure out how to use his size to retrieve pucks in the D zone, instead of standing up straight like a pylon, going for the easy, high risk stick check, and then having people blow right past him.

This team does not need an Englund, it needs some sort of offensive spark on every line. A Brandt Clark, who has an offensive gift, would be way more useful.

Finally, the goal tending situation needs to be fixed. What this team is, essentially, is an incredibly deep but top end light team that needs to be focused at all times on controlling play. It folds completely on small lapses in process. Small lapses will inevitably happen, so the goal tender needs to be relied on to make consistent saves, honestly just making the saves that they need to. The first two goals I thought were just really good chances, but the second two were saveable and letting those in is bad. Talbot looks absolutely cooked, hoping Copely can right the ship next game.

Overall, the problems of last year seem to still be there; lack of high end, game breaking ability, and lack of ability to retrieve the puck while receiving sustained D zone pressure.

Reactions: Schmooley and Herby

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
speaking of cherry picking....
Mr. Goal Post Mover jumping into a comment and answering a question that wasn't asked.
BTW, if Edm is that bad, then it does not bode too well for the Kings SC chances this year because they are better than the Kings.
So, what are you saying is that EDM really isn't that bad. Right or wrong? But yet, the Kings are?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

I thought that for large chunks of the game, the Kings controlled play. I could see the logic of our team set-up, rolling wave after wave of quality players and wearing down the opposition over time.

However, our lack of true game breaking star power is still evident. Dubois and Fiala had some good chances but did not take over the game. The Danault line controlled play but didn't have a scorer on there to capitalize. While Byfield played well, Kopitar looks completely cooked despite making some decent plays in the micro.

Meanwhile, the D is great when they can clog the neutral zone and then force a bad dump or zone entry to quickly get the puck out, but they are incapable of retrieving the puck once a sustained press happens. This compounds with the Dubois line, which gets stuck in its own zone far too much. Dubois needs to figure out how to use his size to retrieve pucks in the D zone, instead of standing up straight like a pylon, going for the easy, high risk stick check, and then having people blow right past him.

This team does not need an Englund, it needs some sort of offensive spark on every line. A Brandt Clark, who has an offensive gift, would be way more useful.

Finally, the goal tending situation needs to be fixed. What this team is, essentially, is an incredibly deep but top end light team that needs to be focused at all times on controlling play. It folds completely on small lapses in process. Small lapses will inevitably happen, so the goal tender needs to be relied on to make consistent saves, honestly just making the saves that they need to. The first two goals I thought were just really good chances, but the second two were saveable and letting those in is bad. Talbot looks absolutely cooked, hoping Copely can right the ship next game.

Overall, the problems of last year seem to still be there; lack of high end, game breaking ability, and lack of ability to retrieve the puck while receiving sustained D zone pressure.

I only thought one was saveable, the one from the gd peanut vendor from the corner, sorry, NHL goaltenders CAN NOT give that stupid shit up......

The other three was a screen where he couldn't see it, and a tipped puck.....and Moore caught puck watching and lettings MacKinnon in behind him

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
What a stance to take.

If they are successful I can rub it in everyone’s faces.

If they are bad “I never said they were contenders”

I’ve asked Axl if he’s willing to say it’s a do or die year for BLuc and Tmac at least winning a playoff round, he’s not willing to.

I think if AEG stood for Axl Entertainment Group that Blake and Tmac would have been given lifetime extensions. Possibly statues too.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

I agree 100%, and mentioned it in the GDT. Colorado has 3 home-grown first round picks that are better than any player on the Kings roster, 4 if Landeskog returns to a similar level (probably a long shot).

The Kings do have a lot of B-level guys that they traded for, but the guys like Colorado has just never hit the market, so if you can’t draft them it’s almost impossible. Stars got traded a lot more in previous generations than they do now.

Depth and lots of B-level guys isn’t the end of the world, but can you win a SC without any elite star players AND goaltending this bad?

And yeah, they need Clarke badly, there isn’t enough talent on the blue line. Doughty is more like a later career Chelios at this point, still very good defensively but can’t be counted on to create O. They need to get Clarke into the lineup.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
What a stance to take.

If they are successful I can rub it in everyone’s faces.

If they are bad “I never said they were contenders”

I’ve asked Axl if he’s willing to say it’s a do or die year for the BLuc and Tmac at least winning a playoff round, he’s not willing to.

I think if AEG stood for Axl Entertainment Group that Blake and Tmac would have been given lifetime extensions. Possibly statues too.
Since Herby and Sol seem to be obsessed with me on what my 'stance' is, I'll say this: My expectations are that the Kings make the playoffs and win a round, I will be disappointed if that doesn't happen. Everyone happy now?

I do not expect the Kings to go 0-82.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Seriously cannot stop watching Laffys fam celebrating the fight absolutely delightful
I'm sure they're proud that he's literally fighting for a spot. It's pretty remarkable, too, since fighting is a much bigger no-no in NCAA (they get ejected for the entire game and disqualified the following game). So, it's not like it's regular behavior for him. He just didn't back down.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Since Herby and Sol seem to be obsessed with me on what my 'stance' is, I'll say this: My expectations are that the Kings make the playoffs and win a round, I will be disappointed if that doesn't happen. Everyone happy now?

I do not expect the Kings to go 0-82.
You’re obsessed with putting others down while being too cowardice to have any positions yourself. And if the Kings don’t make it past the first round, what kind of repercussions do you think should take place? And at what point do you draw the line in the sand and say this is where Luc, Blake, and Todd need to get fired?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
You’re obsessed with putting others down while being too cowardice to have any positions yourself. And if the Kings don’t make it past the first round, what kind of repercussions do you think should take place? And at what point do you draw the line in the sand and say this is where Luc, Blake, and Todd need to get fired?
LOL, aren't you the same guy who CONSTANTLY refers to homosexual acts in a way to disparage others opinions around here when you don't agree? How you don't get banned for that is beyond me, it must be that you never are late in paying your monthly subscription fees.

Anyways, I have better things to do than drawing lines in the sand for something that brings me enjoyment every day. If I looked that deep into it, I got problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad