Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
We’re not getting Byfield - no one is. Why anyone would want PLD and that contract now is beyond me.

Probably not, yeah. A man can dream, though.

PLD is a somewhat proven commodity, even if he’s having a bad year. With some cash retained he becomes worth it IMO. Loved watching him that year Columbus played us in the playoffs. He’s got another gear.

Reactions: Bodit9

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
PLD isn’t getting big minutes because he’s not playing good hockey
Yeah, PLD is way too big of a gamble. Poor play and very questionable mentality after bailing on two teams and performing badly for a third after getting the big contract. Not a good look.

I liked him in Winnipeg before all the crap, but now he'd be a very questionable acquisition. Stay far away.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Probably not, yeah. A man can dream, though.

PLD is a somewhat proven commodity, even if he’s having a bad year. With some cash retained he becomes worth it IMO. Loved watching him that year Columbus played us in the playoffs. He’s got another gear.
DuBois has 7 years left at $8.5M. LA isn’t going to retain on that. They’d buy him out before they do that.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I’d up the ante significantly and do anything to get Byfield.

This kid is a friggin beast and is finally breaking out. Frankly I wish we traded for him last year while he was affordable.

Ullmark, Lysell, a first, and a second. They’ve got so much center depth it’s ridiculous but this trade is probably still lopsided in our favor.

Either that or we trade Ullmark for a money retained sulking PLD. He’s not having a good year but he also isn’t getting the minutes.
I think the only way you'd even get the Kings to pick up the phone about Byfield is by putting Sway on the table. And even then I think they'd still laugh and hang up the minute Sweeney asks about him.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
That’s fair. Out of curiosity, who do you like out there for potential targets?
It’s pretty rough right now - the UFA forward market from bad teams is a wasteland. I think any acquisition we would make of significance up front would be someone with term and that’s a lot harder to put arms around. I typically don’t worry too much this early because nothing will happen until March. I wish the Wings would falter so we could grab David Perron but that’s not happening apparently.

I don’t want to trade next years first or Lysell/Lohrei/Poitras so I think I’d be looking for depth adds this year, unless something major falls into our lap.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I don’t mind Beecher or Lohrei having time to work on his game while Sweeney works on the roster. I do think Grezclyk or Forbort should move for cap space. I like Gryz better in the past but this year I feel Forbort has been more valuable.
I’m still in the Forbort adds value camp. Wotherspoon added simple play d value as well. When you have Wotherspoon, Forbort, and Carlo in you have 3 guys that will stay home and focus on D. When only two of them, the team gets tilted to me and there’s only one puck. Do we really want 4 guys thinking offense? McAvoy, Lindholm, Shattenkirk, and Greclyk? Two of them see zero special teams. Having Wother, Forb, and Carlo frees up shut down D assignments on PK given to Lindholm. I think we can come out of successful PK better if Lindholm is rested. Sort of like Pasta being rested.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Watched the Bruins-habs game on CBC last night and Garry Galley mentioned he thought the Bruins will be moving a goalie and most likely Ullmark by the TDL to acquire help at forward.
Swayman would be a big move. But would be smart. Sway not under contract next year. Although they could move Ullmark also. In the meantime if one gets hurt it could be too late. Can’t trade either to a foe. Send one West.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They aren't going to put Swayman in a position to start a zillion games the year his long term deal is due guys. Linus goes at the draft if he goes.

I would think they would give Swayman an extension before they would consider moving Ullmark, and they could do that tomorrow. Not that I expect this to happen

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I think Sweenius is going to trade for someone who can play LW/C for line 3 in Lauko's present spot. Someone who can win faceoffs

So bump

Lauko - Geekie - Freddy

I'm gonna go see who fits that profile and come back with some names

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think Sweenius is going to trade for someone who can play LW/C for line 3 in Lauko's present spot. Someone who can win faceoffs

So bump

Lauko - Geekie - Freddy

I'm gonna go see who fits that profile and come back with some names
I think more likely they keep him there and try to add someone to better pair with Heinen on the other bottom six line. Make two solid lines.

Lauko Geekie Freddy
Heinen Boqvist 3rd line quality player

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I think more likely they keep him there and try to add someone to better pair with Heinen on the other bottom six line. Make two solid lines.

Lauko Geekie Freddy
Heinen Boqvist 3rd line quality player

I just think Sweenius won't sleep at night without beefing up face-offs. And he can probably do it without breaking the bank.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I just think Sweenius won't sleep at night without beefing up face-offs. And he can probably do it without breaking the bank.

Ideally we would just have "Beecher two years from now" with Heinen and either Boqvist or a more physical guy depending on the match up.

ok a guy that fits the bill:

Nico Sturm, Sharks

2M, 62% FO, third line C you can slide on the wing. Think he just got healthy

Funny enough, Monahan is another at 56.4% and 1.9M and UFA

I think the upgrade version of this is Henrique with Geekie sliding down.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure they can bring in a 2 million dollar player without shipping someone out

Although I guess they can pay extra to get 50% retained

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I'm not sure they can bring in a 2 million dollar player without shipping someone out

Ya I think these are fairly minor gymnastics come deadline time. Specially without knowing the LTIR situation then.

Anyway I think it's that caliber move, without losing a goalie or any MAJOR prospect.

Reactions: Gordoff

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

You might laugh but a player that would interest me for playoffs ,add depth and could be affordable is Colin Blackwell making just 1.2 this season.He is annoying to play against.Surely they could fit this in and with him a UFA to be should be cheap to aquire.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
If Lucic has his contract terminated for breeching purposes, do we get that full 1 million back from game 4 or just when the contract is terminated?

The guy to go get is Lindholm in Calgary.
Marchy-Lindholm-Pasta
Zacha-Coyle-Debrusk

That's a f***ing sick top 6. Lindholm is a very defensively responsible center, ala Bergy. This move makes us much better. Don't ask who goes back, I just dream up scenarios of players coming in.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
No way I trade Swayman and keep Ullmark. Ullmark will be 32 when his next contract starts and this will be his last chance to sign a big contract in his career. He wont sign for 5 million again. He also has missed some time with injuries and hasnt been really great in the playoffs. You trade him in the offseason to a team that is in the middle of the pack and wants to take another step. I think a first rounder is possible to get for him. Personally I would try to get a great prospect for him. Trades like the Faber, Forsberg or Suzuki ones are what I think of. Swayman should get a 8 years for 7 million contract. He is the Bruins future.

In regards to DeBrusk. I know the slump is over and he is playing great right now but he still isnt a player that leads by example and take over games. No way he gets a longterm contract if I would be the GM. For me pumped up his trade value and is traded for somebody that will help the team in the future.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
So how are Bruins fans feeling about Marchand at this point?

I know earlier in the season he had a bit of a slump and was dropped down the lines. But he seems back on line 1 now.

Do you expect him to stay on line 1 with Pasta the rest of the season? Likely continue at a point per game pace?

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
So how are Bruins fans feeling about Marchand at this point?

I know earlier in the season he had a bit of a slump and was dropped down the lines. But he seems back on line 1 now.

Do you expect him to stay on line 1 with Pasta the rest of the season? Likely continue at a point per game pace?
Brad is a beast on most nights, I would expect him to stay put

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
No way I trade Swayman and keep Ullmark. Ullmark will be 32 when his next contract starts and this will be his last chance to sign a big contract in his career. He wont sign for 5 million again. He also has missed some time with injuries and hasnt been really great in the playoffs. You trade him in the offseason to a team that is in the middle of the pack and wants to take another step. I think a first rounder is possible to get for him. Personally I would try to get a great prospect for him. Trades like the Faber, Forsberg or Suzuki ones are what I think of. Swayman should get a 8 years for 7 million contract. He is the Bruins future.

In regards to DeBrusk. I know the slump is over and he is playing great right now but he still isnt a player that leads by example and take over games. No way he gets a longterm contract if I would be the GM. For me pumped up his trade value and is traded for somebody that will help the team in the future.

My #1 thing with Debrusk is no NTC/NMC. No way no how. I never give THAT player that much control when he's been really hot and cold and unpredictable. That new contract needs some flexibility.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My #1 thing with Debrusk is no NTC/NMC. No way no how. I never give THAT player that much control when he's been really hot and cold and unpredictable. That new contract needs some flexibility.

Anyone who signs a 6-8 year contract is going to get one. The question becomes for how long and with what movement clauses

Reactions: Gee Wally
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad