Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I dunno, tire fire teams make some players look worse than they are (like Hampus Lindholm on the Ducks) and some make them look better than they are (like Matt Stajan on the Leafs). I don't think 39 games this season changes who he is. A big body that can score goals and put up points that has only played on bad defensive teams... so who knows on the end of the ice.

Our team is built from the net out and our D are fine. What are D does lack (you could say some size and pain in the ass to play against), he doesn't bring.

I'm fine if people want to pine for forwards. But we don't need more offensive defensemen. Let others bid that guy up.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Our team is built from the net out and our D are fine. What are D does lack (you could say some size and pain in the ass to play against), he doesn't bring.

I'm fine if people want to pine for forwards. But we don't need more offensive defensemen. Let others bid that guy up.

It is one of the lower producing blue lines in the league. I'm NOT here to lead the Chychrun cheer squad, but the Bruins totally lack the ability to have a 5 man attack when McAvoy is on the bench.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I don't think we need a superstar defenseman, but you need the right fit who will let you adjust pairings. If you separate Lindholm and Carlo, get someone for the left side you can trust to take d zone starts with Carlo and free up Hampus to get more time attacking, I think your d core as a whole unit is a lot more efficient and productive.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
It is one of the lower producing blue lines in the league. I'm NOT here to lead the Chychrun cheer squad, but the Bruins totally lack the ability to have a 5 man attack when McAvoy is on the bench.

Not the last 5-6 games, they haven't. They're D has chipped in a ton. Let's see if that continues.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

That D is not fine,

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Ryder, Halak and a second for Sidney Crosby ;)

I don't want them trading multiple assets for an expiring contract unless they can re-sign the player and it fills a legitimate need.

I want to see deals with Swayman and to a lesser extent,JVR get done.
I think JVR is best left a one and done. Solid season but we need to get faster. He'll get a decent contract out of someone based on this season there are a ton of bad teams out there just look at how much Foligno is making and hes well into the glue farm stage of his career.

Swayman will be a tough resign and take some time I assume his deal is signed after Ullmark is traded. Lot of hockey to go before that happens though and the pendulum could swing to Ullmark+Bussi next year. Zero reason for Sway to take a team friendly deal early on when he might capture the Vezina.

I think we get one Curtis Lazar type of add at F and maybe another depth D. Adding the two pukes from the Capitals last year was a huge mistake when we were firmly in pole position and simply didn't need them. A big trade with the lack of assets is just gonna feel odd this year.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Wanted to flush out the scenario where we keep Ullmark next year and also sign Swayman (per post game conversation). I’m not necessarily advocating for it or saying it will happen, but I built a look at next year with both goalies assuming:

- $87.75M Cap Limit
- Resign Swayman at 8x$7.5M
- Resign Debrusk at 6x$6.5M
- Resign Wotherspoon at $900k
- Resign Steen for 850k
- Resign Shatty for $1M
- Brunet as 7D for placeholder

A bit of conservatism there assuming a monster deal for Swayman. Added Steen and Shatty to fill out roster and get a baseline - not saying we’d do that. Doing that leaves you with this:

C979AFF6-0BB6-4B21-B0F6-87B2DBCFD738.jpeg

So $6.7M in space. Any change you would make would subtract the player’s cap hit on the roster who is traded/cut. So trading Lysell++ for a forward means you could trade for a player with a $7.5M cap hit.

This as-is certainly won’t be how most would want to build the team next year - and no way they come into the year with over $6M in space. And don’t focus on the specific players at the bottom of the roster (Shatty/Brunet/etc). But this is the baseline.

Trading Ullmark and putting Bussi there adds $4M-ish to the cap space.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Wanted to flush out the scenario where we keep Ullmark next year and also sign Swayman (per post game conversation). I’m not necessarily advocating for it or saying it will happen, but I built a look at next year with both goalies assuming:

- $87.75M Cap Limit
- Resign Steen for 850k
- Resign Shatty for $1M

A bit of conservatism there assuming a monster deal for Swayman. Added Steen and Shatty to fill out roster and get a baseline - not saying we’d do that. Doing that leaves you with this:

View attachment 806134

So $6.7M in space. Any change you would make would subtract the player’s cap hit on the roster who is traded/cut. So trading Lysell++ for a forward means you could trade for a player with a $7.5M cap hit.

This as-is certainly won’t be how most would want to build the team next year - and no way they come into the year with over $6M in space. And don’t focus on the specific players at the bottom of the roster (Shatty/Brunet/etc). But this is the baseline.

Love it all except for DeBrusk. Problem is his replacement cost would prob be close to the same.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Just want to reiterate that this isn’t what I’m saying they should do or what I would do. Just using some conservative (high-ish) numbers on Sway and Jake to get a baseline to work off of
Honestly though it's the most realistic scenario I have ever seen posted here and it would be a top team for many years to come. Maybe it is that simple?

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Honestly though it's the most realistic scenario I have ever seen posted here and it would be a top team for many years to come. Maybe it is that simple?
I think you have to ask if they’d run Poitras, Lysell, and Merkulov in the Top 9 together. And if they’d go bargain bin third pair.

To do anything of significance - either up front or on D - you’re either trading the 25 first rounder or trading Poitras or Lohrei. The UFA market - assuming Stamkos/Lindholm/Reinhart/Hanifin are signed somewhere before July 1 - doesn’t really have game changers on the high end this summer. You could certainly swap out Shatty/Wotherspoon (sliding to 7D) for a mid tier D or two since they have cap room. Or a mid tier F and slide Steen out.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I think we get one Curtis Lazar type of add at F and maybe another depth D. Adding the two pukes from the Capitals last year was a huge mistake when we were firmly in pole position and simply didn't need them. A big trade with the lack of assets is just gonna feel odd this year.

Orlov and Hathaway weren't a mistake. Sweeney thought he was getting toughness and snarl, something the team lacked. Orlov was fine, but the fact Hathaway (and to some respects, Bertuzzi) turned into Care Bears on ice is not on him. It's either on them for not activating their Wonder Twins a-hole powers, or on Monty for not letting them be the a-holes they were supposed to be.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I've turned on DeBrusk again and want him back. He's inconsistent, but when he plays well for stretches he's great. I'm not sure you can replace him with a consistent version of himself (IE, how many 25-30 goal scores that back check will be available) without trading significant assets, and then paying a big salary. It's every team looking for that type of winger? One day he might find that consistency, and I am back on the 'devil you know' train of thought.

Would love a physical bottom pairing D man and a center that can win face offs, otherwise let's stand pat, unless (of course) a Hertl or Lindholm comes cheaper than I'd expect.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009

- $87.75M Cap Limit
- Resign Steen for 850k
- Resign Shatty for $1M

View attachment 806134

Absolutely looks realistic to me. As you say, considering it as a baseline for speculation it makes a ton of sense and gives an inkling to the possibilities.

So far this season Lohrei and Wotherspoon looks to be NHL caliber contributors at the very least, making releasing the likes of Gryz and Forbort palatable albeit maybe not necessary with the cap space created. I do think I'd like to keep Forbort or bring in a similar profile vet D at the right price to round out the D group.

At forward, Poitras and Beecher similarly also makes decisions going forward a lot easier. I would likely look at bringing back JvR though (or, again, similar profile/production FA). Counting on both Lysell and Merkulov as everyday players at the start of the season would definitely be a stretch. Scoring in this league should not be taken for granted and JvR knows how, even in a limited role.

Still should leave more than enough cap to have flexibility for the deadline to do something in-season. I don't see Donny doing anything drastic this offseason unless someone who is an obvious upgrade like Lindholm somehow takes less to sign in Boston and deals have to be made to facilitate. Draft/prospect capital is low, and with the young-ish core in place and signed (I'm assuming Sway and Jake gets signed long-ish term) a year to stay the course is probably the sensible play.

I know this board largely doesn't approve of sensible but hey, someone has to be that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad