Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
That 14-1-3 team got there in part because of guys like Lucic and Pat Brown, another player you were sure couldn’t play, but Brown was in the lineup tonight over Steen because the Bruins wanted to ice a heavier team, and it was the right call. Brown and his heavy board game was excellent.
Brown played because his dad was on the trip. Come on

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Ok but how do you do it? In November.

You have to say who you’re willing to lose from this roster (other than Grizz who everyone wants to kick to the curb).

Who are you willing to lose?
A move doesn't have to be made right now, but I think it should be addressed by the trade deadline.

In the bottom 6, I see DeBrusk, Geekie, and Beecher as regulars. The other 3 spots should be rotated between Poitras, Lauko, Heinen, and that bottom 6F addition. I also think the Bruins should make a decision regarding DeBrusk by the trade deadline.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
A move doesn't have to be made right now, but I think it should be addressed by the trade deadline.

In the bottom 6, I see DeBrusk, Geekie, and Beecher as regulars. The other 3 spots should be rotated between Poitras, Lauko, Heinen, and that bottom 6F addition. I also think the Bruins should make a decision regarding DeBrusk by the trade deadline.
Ok - if you’re talking deadline that’s fine.

If you (the Royal you) make trade prior to that you’re losing a guy off the roster.

You want to lose Heinen, Lauko or Steen now you’re crazy. In February? Sure of course

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Personally I’m not willing to lose anyone (to add that element), which is why I’m looking at guys on the waiver wire.

I honestly don’t know if MacEwen is that guy or not, but those are the kinds of guys I think they should be looking at to fill that role.
I think it's a good find. I'm on board. Had no idea he was placed on waivers.

I like it.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think it's a good find. I'm on board. Had no idea he was placed on waivers.

I like it.

On an unrelated note, would you trade DeBrusk for Lindholm? I’m sure we’d have to add, but I’m not asking about trade value, I’m more asking would you disrupt the roster, which player would help more in the playoffs, and which player would you rather invest in long term.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Who are you ok with losing for MacEwan? Steen? Lauko?
I’d be willing to risk sending Steen down. I like what Steen has done but I think we have a few guys in Providence (like McLaughlin) who could bring what he brings to the 4th line. We don't really have any big body, big hitters like Lucic we can call up to fill that role.

That said Steen has passed thru waivers several times in his career and once earlier in the year so ideally you’re able to keep both and can deploy them based on need/opponent.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I think we see Looch back by February so we don't need to worry about replacing that skillset

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don’t know how to fix the problem. They have a “ be the hammer, not the nail problem”. They can’t withstand that as we saw last year. If the goalies are average, they lose all the time.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In:
Lawson Crouse ($4.3M)
Jake Middleton ($2.45M)

Total: $6.75M

Out:
Matt Grzelcyk ($3.67M)
Derek Forbort ($3M)
Prospect/Picks

Total: $6.67M

With Crowse you are paying to pick up a second line winger who is signed long term . You are likely talking about giving up a #1, and more. Especially where the Bruins can't give up a #1 this year, and really Bruins earliest #1 available might be 2026. (Bruins won't end up top 10 this year, but you do have to factor things line picks can move when making deals)

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I was leading the get-Middleton train a few years ago when he was in SJ but he's leading Minny D in pts right now and is young enough to be part of the solution there.

I'd go after the younger, bigger Foligno ifI'm calling Minny. I'd like Lauzon back now that he's better and into his man-strength years.
I am good with Foligno the player, But not so much the Foligno age and contract combo. I always felt Lauzon should have been protected if possible or when he was available to try and get back.

Lauko shouldn't really fight regardless. He's puppy willing, but the results are nearly always terrible.
But you have to love the spirit . Players like him make good teams better.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
As of Nov 23rd 2023

Wins - 1st
Losses - 1st
OT - 9th
Points - 1st
Point% - 1st
ROW -1st
Goals For - 8th
Goals Against - 1st
GF/G - 10th
GA/G - 1st
PP% - 12th
PK% - 1st
Shots For/G - 11th
Shots Against/G - 21st
FOW% - 13th

Basically our D is not as strong as we think it is. Goalies are getting worked, as they're facing too many shots imho. If it wasn't for our tandem, we'd be losing more....which could rear its ugly head at some point.
A shot against is a shot against, regardless of the quality.
Overall though, things are pretty good.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

totally forgot about Geekie

Mr. Make-Believe

On an unrelated note, would you trade DeBrusk for Lindholm? I’m sure we’d have to add, but I’m not asking about trade value, I’m more asking would you disrupt the roster, which player would help more in the playoffs, and which player would you rather invest in long term.
It's not gonna be a popular opinion, but I'm hesitant to invest in either long-term.

I've mentioned this before, but I think if we got Lindholm, we'd consider him a fine #2 but would still be clamouring for that top guy. Even considering what that would leave us down the middle (Lindholm, Zacha, Coyle, Poitras) which would be pretty stellar. I would have gone to the ends of the Earth to bring Lindholm in when Calgary did. But I fear a steeply diminished return on what is likely to be a monster deal.

As for Jake, I actually love how he's playing. We've seen disinterested DeBrusk in the past. This isn't that guy. He's super engaged. A top end PKer. He's fighting for the puck. He's skating. He's everything I love him for, he's just not scoring. And while I believe him to be a better bet to pay dividends on a long-term deal than Lindholm (and on a smaller dollar) consistency still concerns me. And I wonder if circumstances have to be "just so" in order for him to be an every game (or hell, even an every second or third game) scoring threat.

Now if you take long-term out of it and go into the playoffs with the aforementioned C spine? Sure, I'd make that swap. Let's go

Mr. Make-Believe

Who are you ok with losing for MacEwan? Steen? Lauko?
Yeah what @PlayMakers said. Ideal world (and not unrealistic) Lauko sticks and you still have both Steen and MacEwan as options.

And to be clear, I LOVE Steen. I don't consider MacEwan to be an upgrade. But the big guy brings an element I think we miss when it's not there and are thankful to have when it's around.

I also think he's a better player than you give him credit for and maybe could learn a thing or two about being a net-front presence from JVR. A small weapon to add to his arsenal to ensure that fourth line doesn't miss a beat.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
With Crowse you are paying to pick up a second line winger who is signed long term . You are likely talking about giving up a #1, and more. Especially where the Bruins can't give up a #1 this year, and really Bruins earliest #1 available might be 2026. (Bruins won't end up top 10 this year, but you do have to factor things line picks can move when making deals)

Not only are you giving up a first, but you are not going to shield Poitras or Lorhei from being in the deal, either.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
As of Nov 23rd 2023

Wins - 1st
Losses - 1st
OT - 9th
Points - 1st
Point% - 1st
ROW -1st
Goals For - 8th
Goals Against - 1st
GF/G - 10th
GA/G - 1st
PP% - 12th
PK% - 1st
Shots For/G - 11th
Shots Against/G - 21st
FOW% - 13th

Basically our D is not as strong as we think it is. Goalies are getting worked, as they're facing too many shots imho. If it wasn't for our tandem, we'd be losing more....which could rear its ugly head at some point.
A shot against is a shot against, regardless of the quality.
Overall though, things are pretty good.
I think the defense is about to round into form. Say what you will about Gryz come playoffs, but the Gryz-McAvoy pairing is incredibly effective in the regular season. And to me it seems like Lindholm is shaking off some of the early season yips he had. No, he's not putting up points on pace with last season but he's looked very assertive defensively recently to me.

Reactions: KWbruin

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Well, once again, if it wasn't glaring enough during the first period of last nights game that they absolutely need a physical presence up front, I don't know what to tell you. They won the game, that was awesome, but we have to look at the bigger picture here.

McAvoy was targeted, whacked, and elbowed in the head and hit about 3-4 seconds late - Zero response.

Poitras got absolutely clobbered with a crosscheck to the head - Zero response.

Pastrnak was targeted - Zero response.

Forbort dropped the gloves in the second and did fairly well against a pretty tough dude. Hats off to him for stepping up there. Once he did that, it seemed like the temperature changed quite a bit.

Can someone tell me what the f*** Trent Frederic was doing? Zero excuse not to assert yourself in a game like that. Instead it looked like he was on a Sunday skate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad