Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Yes, his stat sheet looks fine lately, but that doesn't tell me if he's actually improved on the areas where Mougenel said he needed to. If he has, then that's great. Hopefully he continues and we see him get a chance with the Big B's here before the end of the season.
Mougenel's specific comments had nothing to do with Lysell's 200 foot game, it was entirely about him buying in to the team's offensive structure and not trying to go one on four when he had the puck. Here the actual quote:

“I hate the play in the third period where he’s trying to beat a guy one-on-four, that’s the stuff he’s got to get out of his game, and it’s recognizing that. We’re getting into year two here and he’s got to start buying in or he won’t play for Jim Montgomery.”

I don't watch every providence game, but I watch a fair bit and IMO he's done that. I know +/- isn't a very good stat, but it's all we have for the AHL and before those comments Lysell had an even rating in 23 games, and since those comments he's a +10 in 21 games while being a PPG. That's a player that's figuring it out and buying in.

Last edited:

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
this board: we need big nasty!

also this board: bring up 180 lbs Lysell pleaaaaase

We saw the time Poitras had with NHL size...

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Poitras is our top prospect. And he looked like he needed more time.

Lysell had far far far far far more speed and shiftiness in his game than Poitras. Just more chance for him to avoid getting smacked around. Will it work? Who knows! Would I want to put the team in a position where they were relying on Lysell to be able to be a full time member of the top 9 in the playoffs? f*** no. But would I want to see if there was enough there they he could provide a Seguin in 2011 type spark in the playoffs? Don’t see the harm.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
Mougenel's specific comments had nothing to do with Lysell's 200 foot game, it was entirely about him buying in to the team's offensive structure and not trying to go one on four when he had the puck. Here the actual quote:

“I hate the play in the third period where he’s trying to beat a guy one-on-four, that’s the stuff he’s got to get out of his game, and it’s recognizing that. We’re getting into year two here and he’s got to start buying in or he won’t play for Jim Montgomery.”

I don't watch every providence game, but I watch a fair bit and IMO he's done that. I know +/- isn't a very good stat, but it's all we have for the AHL and before those comments Lysell had an even rating in 23 games, and since those comments he's a +10 in 21 games while being a PPG. That's a player that's figuring it out and buying in.

Conversely, Lysell’s defensive game is highly underrated.

His last WJC, which was panned, actually saw him have very high defensive impacts—by far the highest on his team.

He’s got a very high motor and absolutely hounds the puck defensively and forecheck wise when I’ve watched him.

He’s not going to be crushing people but he has historically had a 200 ft game, going beyond this year and his slump.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Poitras is our top prospect. And he looked like he needed more time.

Poitras made the jump right from junior hockey as a 19yr old. Lysell played for a stretch in the SHL before coming over, and is now in his 2nd year of pro hockey. Lysell has experience playing against men which was something Poitras didn't. At some point you need to get a look and see what you have in Lysell. He's in his 3rd season since being drafted. How long does he need to marinade in the AHL before you bring him up even just for a few games to get a look?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Conversely, Lysell’s defensive game is highly underrated.

His last WJC, which was panned, actually saw him have very high defensive impacts—by far the highest on his team.

He’s got a very high motor and absolutely hounds the puck defensively and forecheck wise when I’ve watched him.

He’s not going to be crushing people but he has historically had a 200 ft game, going beyond this year and his slump.

Pasta doesn't have much of a defensive game, so I'm not worried really if Lysell isn't a Swiss army knife in terms of D or PK unit, I'm good.

He's fast. He's got good instincts. He's good.

Reactions: SPLBRUIN

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He has. Mougenel said it himself.

He’s not a better player than Lysell. Brown is not a good all around player. We’ve seen it.

Based on what?

In the AHL this year they are both +10 though Brown has done it in 19 games, Lysell in 44.

You can't say Lysell is a better player at this point as he hasn't played a game at the NHL level.

I would certainly hope Lysell will be a better player than Brown in the future.

Poitras made the jump right from junior hockey as a 19yr old. Lysell played for a stretch in the SHL before coming over, and is now in his 2nd year of pro hockey. Lysell has experience playing against men which was something Poitras didn't. At some point you need to get a look and see what you have in Lysell. He's in his 3rd season since being drafted. How long does he need to marinade in the AHL before you bring him up even just for a few games to get a look?

As long as management thinks.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Based on what?

In the AHL this year they are both +10 though Brown has done it in 19 games, Lysell in 44.

You can't say Lysell is a better player at this point as he hasn't played a game at the NHL level.

I would certainly hope Lysell will be a better player than Brown in the future.

As long as management thinks.
Why can’t I say that? Based on AHL plus minus? How about watching the players? Do you think Brandt Clarke is better than Ian Mitchell or Parker Wotherspoon right now? Because he is regardless of the fact he’s in the AHL.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Why can’t I say that? Based on AHL plus minus? How about watching the players? Do you think Brandt Clarke is better than Ian Mitchell or Parker Wotherspoon right now? Because he is regardless of the fact he’s in the AHL.

I've only seen Lysell once in Providence. Some posted here that he looked much better. I thought he stunk.

Still, there is no way to tell if Lysell is a better player at the NHL level right now.

Reactions: Ozzy Osbourne

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I've only seen Lysell once in Providence. Some posted here that he looked much better. I thought he stunk.

Still, there is no way to tell if Lysell is a better player at the NHL level right now.
Sure there is. Here's another one: Lysell is better than Ryan Reaves right now. Do you disagree that I can say that?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I agree 110%. Ullmark need to go, dont care about upsetting the room, it s buisness and they cannot pay 2 elite goalies, they need to maximise his value and it s this year they need to do that, couple of team are surching for good goaltending...Sway is the way
When Sway has a contract then it can be talked about .But until that day comes there is no way you're trading Ullmark .Who by the way has 16 team NTC.Next season 15.

Couture 10 games 1 A. He should be cheap.Nevermind he has 4 more yrs cap hit 8 million.:eek2:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
this board: we need big nasty!

also this board: bring up 180 lbs Lysell pleaaaaase

We saw the time Poitras had with NHL size...

You’re right we should never call up a prospect again.

Also we should never have a blend of talent and physicality. Only the extremes of one or the other.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Strange how quiet the trade deadline thread is this year compared to those in the years before. Unfortunately the insiders were pushed away by a few posters and everybody has to live with the consequences of this ...
How about if we trade the dimwit posters who chased away our insiders for our insiders.

I’d be all over that deal. Grrrrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad