Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Lauzon would be cheaper but I do not think Nashville would move him. I like Middleton but he is not as physical as people think, he would far and away be the Bruins most physical D however and I would love to get him here.

DeBrusk would do it and they could get Duhaime as well who I also like a great deal.

If they do this it would require replacing DeBrusk and I would try to get Frank Vatrano back. Not as good a player as DeBrusk but much more consistent and more physical.

Arber Xhekaj is a young, physical D who would look great here. I would do Merkulov and another pick/prospect or the 2025 first for him as Montreal is suppose to be looking for a first for him. He could easily develop into a 30-35 point D who is a well above average fighter and hitter. He is far and away the most physical of the D's mentioned so far in this post.

College free agents I am not sure but a cheap, quick fix for the fourth line could be Max Comtois who is a free agent play for the Chicago Wolves on an AHL only deal.
Stat line
36121527705 fights

Cost nothing, if he can't play at an NHL level anymore he goes to Providence. Sign him to a league minimum deal.
The Bruins need to add scoring with Debrusk already here, think it's unrealistic to trade him unless they really don't want to re-sign him at what he's asking. Would love to have both him and vatrano somehow

Reactions: Oates2Neely

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I don’t think they can cut him if he wasn’t convicted of anything. Unless it was a mutual decision, it sets a really bad precedence that I’m sure the NHLPA wouldn’t support.
This.

They can always waive him, but the cap relief is minimal and he's still associated with the team.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I take Lucic back, if his wife opted not to testify then it is a family matter. I'm sure she knows this may give him the chance to play this year again. It's up to her and there family if he gets released from the player assistance program and the OK to start playing again by the NHL.

With the charges dropped the Bruins cutting him or not allowing him to return could turn into a legal issue for them. I know as a manager I could not stop someone from coming back to work if they were not found guilty of a crime and had completed the employee assistance program. Not a lawyer or sure how this works based on contracts but just from my experience.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The Bruins need to add scoring with Debrusk already here, think it's unrealistic to trade him unless they really don't want to re-sign him at what he's asking. Would love to have both him and vatrano somehow
He is so inconsistent though. I can't see them being successful if Jake DeBrusk is the key to the offense. I agree about having both but not sure how you improve the team without moving DeBrusk. I don't move a goalie unless it nets a top 30 center or the assets to get one, Grizz is negative value and besides Lysell, Poitras and Lohrei they do not have any high end prospects and I would be very careful in moving Poitras and Lohrei, they would have to return a signed, young top 4 D or the same requirements for a top 2 center,

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Just a warning: Lucic conversation can NOT go off the rails. I know it's going to be debated and there is a big emotional attachment here.

Just please be careful. Thanks all.
While I know there will be differing opinions on this, all I can say is this.

I see the consequences of DV every day and it can be horrific.

I also see the positive results of people and families that were once severely flawed or broken healing and coming back together.

If this and the previous one were incidents that were the result of his struggle with alcohol and there hasn’t been a prolonged, pervasive history of abuse, and he gets help and his wife is willing to give him another chance, then who am I to judge?

Again, it‘s not okay….but neither is driving while intoxicated, using drugs, cheating on your taxes and a litany of other transgressions, that I’m sure nobody here has ever done.

As I said, if it turns out that he has been a serial abuser, that would change things,.

But, if his family is sincerely willing, hoping and trying to put their lives back together, and if him continuing to play hockey provides some of the ”normalcy” needed to achieve that goal, then we should step aside and let them be.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Would wonder if some of the Bruins players would even want Looch back?
That is what I would base everything on, if his teammates want him back I would take him back as soon as he was ready, if not and you can't cut him then you tell him he is going to Providence and I assume he would work with the team on a buyout

Reactions: Sheppy

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'm sure there'd be hesitation, but I'd point to Brads comments about it after it happened.

I think if he clears the NHLPA program, he should be allowed to return personally.

I have my personal feelings on these types of situations, but at the end of the day, the legal process played out the way it was supposed to, and the family clearly is trying to move passed it as well.

As others have said, taking away someone's livelihood when they haven't been convicted of anything sets up a bigger issue.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Who knows. His nameplate is still on his stall in the locker room so they haven’t officially written him off yet.

I think the locker room is pretty tight overall and the culture we’ve seen for years is still there. I don’t think Lucic coming back would be an issue of a distraction for anyone in that room.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
They bring him back to this team and they can all go f*** themselves. Every single person in management and ownership can go f*** themselves.
Realistically though aside from waiving him and sending him to PRO, what recourse do they/would they have to keep him on indefinite leave? Especially if the assistance program clears him?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I would wager to guess the Bruins players just want Lucic and his family to be healthy and happy.

If that means he's back playing in the NHL with the Bruins, then fine. If healthy and happy means he continues to stay away from the team and work with the Player Assistance program, also fine. I don't think they (the players) are worried about anything else quite frankly.

Management that's a different story. While they certainly want health and happiness for Lucic and family, they are concerned with distractions and perceptions.

Reactions: sarge88 and JCRO

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He is so inconsistent though. I can't see them being successful if Jake DeBrusk is the key to the offense. I agree about having both but not sure how you improve the team without moving DeBrusk. I don't move a goalie unless it nets a top 30 center or the assets to get one, Grizz is negative value and besides Lysell, Poitras and Lohrei they do not have any high end prospects and I would be very careful in moving Poitras and Lohrei, they would have to return a signed, young top 4 D or the same requirements for a top 2 center,
Yeah im always torn with Jake, he has all the skill and flashes it on occasion, but when he gets snakebitten it hits him hard. I think the best hope is to get a center to play between Zacha and Pasta and then that will hopefully slot Debrusk to line 2 and JVR to line 3.

If they don't like Debrusks contract demands then I am all for moving him.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Fenian24

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
IMO they don't want to be in the limelight of another controversial player (MM).. Even being cleared of charges and if he was given the go ahead by the league or whoever needs to do so. If they can find a way to cut him, I would be shocked if they dont.

Purely from a player/hockey stance, which is definitely not the priority here AT ALL- he's 35 and wrapping it up on the back 9. To me, he can finish his "round" elsewhere. The damage is done.

And again, I wish nothing but the best for his family and hope that he gets right. This whole thing sucks and I hope they can move forward as a family in a healthy and positive way. Really rooting for them.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
IMO they don't want to be in the limelight of another controversial player (MM).. Even being cleared of charges and if he was given the go ahead by the league or whoever needs to do so. If they can find a way to cut him, I would be shocked if they dont.

Purely from a player/hockey stance, which is definitely not the priority here AT ALL- he's 35 and wrapping it up on the back 9. To me, he can finish his "round" elsewhere. The damage is done.

And again, I wish nothing but the best for his family and hope that he gets right. This whole thing sucks and I hope they can move forward as a family in a healthy and positive way. Really rooting for them.

Here is the conundrum though.

Part of the “healing/recovery” that we all want for him is likely to include returning to a “normal” (for them) life.

Him playing hockey again might be a huge part of his recovery and being around those who he has a relationship with could make it much easier than going to a new team.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Bruins have far too many needs to be a real contender, best make a move that also strengthens them for next year. no rentals, its not worth it. They are not as close as their records says they are and honestly its fine.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Part of the “healing/recovery” that we all want for him is likely to include returning to a “normal” (for them) life.

Him playing hockey again might be a huge part of his recovery and being around those who he has a relationship with could make it much easier than going to a new team.
Those types of things are earned though in time by showing you have changed or are making an actual effort to change....thing none of us is probably in the position to say if he deserves a 2nd chance or not

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I would welcome Looch back with open arms. He was proven innocent in a court of law, it would seem like him and his wife have reconciled and he entered the PAP to deal with potentially mental health and alcohol abuse. What more do we expect from the guy?

I, for one, don't judge Looch the player or man based off one event that likely took place over a 5-10 minute time span. Bring him back, we can use the guy for the rest of the regular season and playoffs.

For those who judge me for wanting him back, I have not touched my #17 Lucic jersey since he was charged and had he been found guilty, it would have been thrown in the garbage.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Those types of things are earned though in time by showing you have changed or are making an actual effort to change....thing none of us is probably in the position to say if he deserves a 2nd chance or not

I get that, but, IMO it’s tough to expect someone to recover without providing them with the things they need to succeed.

Reactions: NDiesel and Sheppy

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I would welcome Looch back with open arms. He was proven innocent in a court of law, it would seem like him and his wife have reconciled and he entered the PAP to deal with potentially mental health and alcohol abuse. What more do we expect from the guy?

I, for one, don't judge Looch the player or man based off one event that likely took place over a 5-10 minute time span. Bring him back, we can use the guy for the rest of the regular season and playoffs.

For those who judge me for wanting him back, I have not touched my #17 Lucic jersey since he was charged and had he been found guilty, it would have been thrown in the garbage.
Proven innocent?

Absolutely false. No. Not even close.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

I just dont see how management allows him to continue his career in Boston. Even if the players all love him- Is management going to stick their neck out for a controversial player especially after the MM situation? And a player that is potentially playing his last year?

I think its safe to say there would be far more people with the view of-

"I CANT BELIEVE THEY'RE (the Bruins) KEEPING THIS GUY!!"

as opposed to-

"I CANT BELIEVE THEY (the Bruins) QUIT ON A GUY WHO JUST LEFT THE PLAYERS ASSISTANCE PROGRAM AFTER A PHYISCAL ALTERCATION WITH HIS WIFE THAT INVOVLED ALCOHOL!!"

Sounds harsh and I want to reiterate what you also made a point of in that we want them to succeed as a family and move forward. But I personally just dont see it with the Bruins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad