Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I would also rather do that, but there's no way that gets Necas. The Ducks are probably looking at the Oilers 1st, Zellweger/Luneau, and one other minor asset.
Just curious...why do you think Carolina would settle for an all futures package for Necas?

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Just curious...why do you think Carolina would settle for an all futures package for Necas?
They might not. I was more commenting on the overall value of a package for Necas rather than the specific pieces involved. I could see them asking for Zegras + 2nd or something instead.

But if Carolina is trading Necas, it's because they can't afford to pay his next contract. Otherwise, why would they even be looking to move him? He's a solid player who fits really well into what they're trying to do. If that's the case, any package would skew more toward unrealized (and not yet paid) potential, rather than someone who has or needs an expensive contract currently.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
They might not. I was more commenting on the overall value of a package for Necas rather than the specific pieces involved. I could see them asking for Zegras + 2nd or something instead.

But if Carolina is trading Necas, it's because they can't afford to pay his next contract. Otherwise, why would they even be looking to move him? He's a solid player who fits really well into what they're trying to do. If that's the case, any package would skew more toward unrealized (and not yet paid) potential, rather than someone who has or needs an expensive contract currently.
I think there has been a lot of posturing ahead of the Necas contract negotiations. Carolina has over $30 million in cap space available for next year but also has some key free agents to sign and they don't like to overpay. I've no idea if Necas is really even available but I am pretty sure that a late 1st in a draft that is sketchy beyond the top 15 and a prospect D isn't going to move the needle too much for them. Zegras probably wouldn't either given he is making close to what Necas probably wants so why not just sign the player you've already got? I really think the Ducks would be looking more at a McTavish for Necas type of deal if they really want to get something done. It would have to hurt a bit to move Necas out of Carolina.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Necas isn't coming here. The Ducks are not a good match for what the Canes would want/the Ducks would be willing to give up. The Canes would be looking for assets to help them win now and in the future. You're right they would likely be looking for Zegras, but why would the Ducks do that?

At Zegras' age Necas was putting up 40 point seasons, while Zegras has put up 61 and 65 point seasons. Can you imagine how many points Z would have put up the last 2 years on one of the beast teams in the league?

And it isn't like Necas is a better fit positionally. He is a natural center and wants to play center.

I would love Necas but trading one of our young forwards for him makes no sense. And noone else makes sense from the Canes perspective. So unless the decide they want a futures return, better put this one to rest boys.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Necas isn't coming here. The Ducks are not a good match for what the Canes would want/the Ducks would be willing to give up. The Canes would be looking for assets to help them win now and in the future. You're right they would likely be looking for Zegras, but why would the Ducks do that?

At Zegras' age Necas was putting up 40 point seasons, while Zegras has put up 61 and 65 point seasons. Can you imagine how many points Z would have put up the last 2 years on one of the beast teams in the league?

And it isn't like Necas is a better fit positionally. He is a natural center and wants to play center.

I would love Necas but trading one of our young forwards for him makes no sense. And noone else makes sense from the Canes perspective. So unless the decide they want a futures return, better put this one to rest boys.
Just to be clear, I'm not the one calling for a Necas trade. I mean, I'd love Necas. To be honest, I think he's a great fit for what the Ducks need. I know the Ducks suck at scoring, but they suck at scoring in large part because they really suck at getting the puck back and then keeping it, things Necas would help significantly with.

However, I don't think it makes sense for the Ducks to trade any of their young guys for him, since they need those guys, and it doesn't make sense for Carolina to do a deal around pure futures or around an asset package that brings back quantity but lower quality. The Ducks are not good partners for Carolina in a Necas trade.

Reactions: Ducks DVM and tomd

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Just to be clear, I'm not the one calling for a Necas trade. I mean, I'd love Necas. To be honest, I think he's a great fit for what the Ducks need. I know the Ducks suck at scoring, but they suck at scoring in large part because they really suck at getting the puck back and then keeping it, things Necas would help significantly with.

However, I don't think it makes sense for the Ducks to trade any of their young guys for him, since they need those guys, and it doesn't make sense for Carolina to do a deal around pure futures or around an asset package that brings back quantity but lower quality. The Ducks are not good partners for Carolina in a Necas trade.
We have to many lhd. Someone is gone this summer imho. And I don’t think our gm is scared to trade the oilers first we got either. He’s on the hit seat next season he and Cronin

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
We have to many lhd. Someone is gone this summer imho. And I don’t think our gm is scared to trade the oilers first we got either. He’s on the hit seat next season he and Cronin
Based on? I'm sure the Samuelis would like us to be a playoff team by the time they open OCVibe. Beyond that I think they're more than willing to let this process play out.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Based on? I'm sure the Samuelis would like us to be a playoff team by the time they open OCVibe. Beyond that I think they're more than willing to let this process play out.
It has played out; like verbeek himself says. Rebuild is over.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
‘Done selling’ by Verbeek + questionable coaching and developing will make this rebuild more dragged out.

Even if we bring in potential players like a Necas/Stamkos does that really make us that much better? We have glaring holes everywhere.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
If im the ducks.. I Sign Anthony Duclair.. Dude is a good player and I think he fits in well with us.

‘Done selling’ by Verbeek + questionable coaching and developing will make this rebuild more dragged out.

Even if we bring in potential players like a Necas/Stamkos does that really make us that much better? We have glaring holes everywhere.
We wont be a winning team untill the system in place is excuted properly and the players buy into it.. Which by the looks of it... They could care less.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I don’t think there are glaring holes everywhere, I just think people need to be patient and allow those holes to be filled internally

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
the problem is.. The patience is wearing thin and we are seeing no improvement.. one step forward and 2 steps back is not a good look

I would be more sympathetic towards the team if they were more along the .500 line and at least looking competitive.

I’m sorry - I understand it’s subjective, but they look worse than last year. Between the players becoming inconsistent and coach being out of his depth, it’s really painful watching this team right now

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think they'll be better next year if for no other reasons than the young players will be a year older and everyone will (should) start out healthy. That said, there is still a significant lack of depth at all positions. As importantly, one of the kids is going to have to step up and be a leader and say "this is my team now". Best hope for that is probably McTavish or maybe Gaucher if he can ever bring the rest of his game to NHL level.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think they'll be better next year if for no other reasons than the young players will be a year older and everyone will (should) start out healthy. That said, there is still a significant lack of depth at all positions. As importantly, one of the kids is going to have to step up and be a leader and say "this is my team now". Best hope for that is probably McTavish or maybe Gaucher if he can ever bring the rest of his game to NHL level.
I'm pretty sure we said that last year too. At the end if the day we need guys like Carlsson, McTavish, Zegras etc to become the top line talents to fill the holes. I have to admit I expected more. Maybe that's not fair given the injuries and ages but it's hard to watch our team struggle when other teams top prospects flourish. It puts questions in if they will or even can develop into those types of players. It's hard to keep perspective. And personally I wonder if adding a veteran super star type player is the best way to get that development. Guys like Killorn aren't going to teach these kids to be stars. We need the Selannes, Getzlaf, Niedermayer, Prongers of the world to teach them that. It's honestly the biggest reason I want Stamkos.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'm pretty sure we said that last year too. At the end if the day we need guys like Carlsson, McTavish, Zegras etc to become the top line talents to fill the holes. I have to admit I expected more. Maybe that's not fair given the injuries and ages but it's hard to watch our team struggle when other teams top prospects flourish. It puts questions in if they will or even can develop into those types of players. It's hard to keep perspective. And personally I wonder if adding a veteran super star type player is the best way to get that development. Guys like Killorn aren't going to teach these kids to be stars. We need the Selannes, Getzlaf, Niedermayer, Prongers of the world to teach them that. It's honestly the biggest reason I want Stamkos.
Yes, I remember our conversations. I thought they would be marginally better but still a bottom 5-10 team. The injuries, lack of depth, and the young players not taking a big enough step forward kinda killed this year.

For next year, any influx of talent would help but this team needs both talent AND leaders. Players that will take ownership and not just play in the sunshine and cash a check. A Ryan O'Reilly type who still cares. I don't see it happening quite honestly and think that type of player is going to have to come from within.

As far as the top 5 pick this year, it HAS to be the most talented player available regardless of position. If that is Demidov then that's who they need to pick. More to discuss on that when we know where they are picking.

• Love
Reactions: Yemeth

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yes, I remember our conversations. I thought they would be marginally better but still a bottom 5-10 team. The injuries, lack of depth, and the young players not taking a big enough step forward kinda killed this year.

For next year, any influx of talent would help but this team needs both talent AND leaders. Players that will take ownership and not just play in the sunshine and cash a check. A Ryan O'Reilly type who still cares. I don't see it happening quite honestly and think that type of player is going to have to come from within.

As far as the top 5 pick this year, it HAS to be the most talented player available regardless of position. If that is Demidov then that's who they need to pick. More to discuss on that when we know where they are picking.
I agree with the bolded. You don't go out and find a vet at the end of his career to be a pied piper as he sails off into the sunset. Somebody in the core of young guys has to be the leader. And PV and Cronin better figure that out soon and do something about it. This team plays like nobody gives a shit and nobody will do anything about it. That has to change asap.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Rinse and repeat. Same words were uttered last year.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Maybe an unpopular opinion but I'd love to make enough trades/acquisitions so that Minty is our only "rookie" regularly playing next season. I hope all of LaCombe, Luneau, and Zellweger (and Lindstrom if we keep him) are playing at least 50% of the season down in SD next year. It's insane that we're playing a guy with 15 games under his belt on our top pairing.

I'd give Hanifin a 3-5 year contract, Roy 2-3 years, even a less proven guy like Desharnais.

We have problems scoring goals but I think our biggest problem is playing the entire game in our zone.

Reactions: Kalv

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Maybe an unpopular opinion but I'd love to make enough trades/acquisitions so that Minty is our only "rookie" regularly playing next season. I hope all of LaCombe, Luneau, and Zellweger (and Lindstrom if we keep him) are playing at least 50% of the season down in SD next year. It's insane that we're playing a guy with 15 games under his belt on our top pairing.

I'd give Hanifin a 3-5 year contract, Roy 2-3 years, even a less proven guy like Desharnais.

We have problems scoring goals but I think our biggest problem is playing the entire game in our zone.
I would love to see us buy fowler out, trade lacombe and bring in at least a Roy or pesce

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
So I learned something interesting today. I always thought of Reinhart as a all offense guy but apparently he plays pretty substantial minutes on Florida's PK. Add that to his resume I think he just became my top forward option in UFA. I also think I'd try and pry Hathaway out of Philly for a 4RW. Also a good PKer. Upgrades on Rico and Carrick. Then add one of Roy or Pesce and I'd be stoked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad