Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I would love to see us buy fowler out, trade lacombe and bring in at least a Roy or pesce
What would be the point in buying Fowler out? It would cost 9+ mil in cash and only save 4 mil in cash. It would push out his cap longer than 2 years, which is when we will actually need the cap space. All it will do is force a kid to play situations they are not ready for.

They could retain 50%, pay less cash, not carry the cap 2 more years, and actually get value for him even with his restrictive NTC. Fowler at 3.25 cap hit would be insane on a team where he could play the role he is best suited for.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
So I learned something interesting today. I always thought of Reinhart as a all offense guy but apparently he plays pretty substantial minutes on Florida's PK. Add that to his resume I think he just became my top forward option in UFA. I also think I'd try and pry Hathaway out of Philly for a 4RW. Also a good PKer. Upgrades on Rico and Carrick. Then add one of Roy or Pesce and I'd be stoked.
The issue with Reinhart is if Florida is offering him $9M per year, we would probably have to offer him close to $11M to be competitive.

Reactions: Kalv

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The issue with Reinhart is if Florida is offering him $9M per year, we would probably have to offer him close to $11M to be competitive.
10.35 actually covers the extra taxes. And honestly I'm probably okay with that. None of the kids have performed enough to have me concerned about their next deals.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
10.35 actually covers the extra taxes. And honestly I'm probably okay with that. None of the kids have performed enough to have me concerned about their next deals.
Well 10.35 might cover the cash, but it doesn’t cover his comfort and the team disparity. That’s how I came to a number around $11M.

Last edited:

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
What would be the point in buying Fowler out? It would cost 9+ mil in cash and only save 4 mil in cash. It would push out his cap longer than 2 years, which is when we will actually need the cap space. All it will do is force a kid to play situations they are not ready for.

They could retain 50%, pay less cash, not carry the cap 2 more years, and actually get value for him even with his restrictive NTC. Fowler at 3.25 cap hit would be insane on a team where he could play the role he is best suited for.
If he is willing to expand his ntc list. I agree it’s the better route.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Well 10.35 might cover the cash, but it doesn’t cover his comfort and the team disparity.
Hard to out of numerical value on that. We don't really know what motivates him or what he is looking for at this point in his career. Or if better teams can actually offer the money he'd be looking for.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Hard to out of numerical value on that. We don't really know what motivates him or what he is looking for at this point in his career. Or if better teams can actually offer the money he'd be looking for.
Buying him out eliminates all of that. He’s just gone and we move on from him. He couldn’t be further from what our Gm says he wants in a defenseman

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If we can trade him, that would be ideal. Is Reinhardt having a 1 off year? Or is he a true 35.+ goal scorer? We don’t need Terry 2.0
Our defense is terrible so let's trade our best one. Please explain a world were that makes any sense.

On Reinhart. He's probably the 35 goal scorer but he also PKs. He's an upgrade. We absolutely need more skilled players.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Our defense is terrible so let's trade our best one. Please explain a world were that makes any sense.

On Reinhart. He's probably the 35 goal scorer but he also PKs. He's an upgrade. We absolutely need more skilled players.
Fowler being bought out but adding a Roy/pesce and luneau to the team and hoping minty makes a jump could happen. Reinhart sounds good to me then.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Fowler being bought out but adding a Roy/pesce and luneau to the team and hoping minty makes a jump could happen. Reinhart sounds good to me then.
Why not add Roy or Pesce to Fowler, not depend on Luneau and Minty to take steps and let them progress where they don't HAVE to be the guys? Then if they do take those steps we're that much better.

Reactions: duxfan1101

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Why not add Roy or Pesce to Fowler, not depend on Luneau and Minty to take steps and let them progress where they don't HAVE to be the guys? Then if they do take those steps we're that much better.
Or we buy/trade fowler out add one Roy/pesce as well as a Vet physical dman like Dillon as well.

Or we buy/trade fowler out add one Roy/pesce as well as a Vet physical dman like Dillon as well.
I will Edit this by saying I don’t see lacombe with the ducks past this season. We have minty and zellwegger on the left side. So we definitely will need a solid larger stop gap on the left side

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

I will Edit this by saying I don’t see lacombe with the ducks past this season. We have minty and zellwegger on the left side. So we definitely will need a solid larger stop gap on the left side
Deals are hard enough to make as it is. You're adding two necessary moves to try rid of Fowler who will be gone naturally in 2 more years which is a pretty ideal time from for letting the younger LD develop.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I like Zell playing the right. If him and Luneau can be our future top 4 RD, then we really just need that big shutdown LD to complete the group. Those are a lot easier to come by than their right handed counterparts

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I know you hate him, but I genuinely don’t understand how you guys think it would be addition by subtraction. If he isn’t here someone else will be playing above their heads and it will likely be someone that needs to develop still.

Again just distribute the mins more evenly…. Maybe bring in a better fit stop gap.

Fowler isn’t a fit anymore

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
After watching Reinhart away from Barkov, i'm not sure he's the guy i'm willing to shell out $10+ million for. I'd rather go after a shorter term guy while we figure out what we have with our younger forwards.

Reactions: Vipers31

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
After watching Reinhart away from Barkov, i'm not sure he's the guy i'm willing to shell out $10+ million for. I'd rather go after a shorter term guy while we figure out what we have with our younger forwards.
I think you go in knowing you're not getting the guy in Florida. What I like is he's still a legit upgrade on Rico and he also PKs. We need forwards who can PK.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
That’s where the he isn’t a great fit issue shows up
That doesn’t mean him being gone would be better. Buying him out or trading him for nothing makes the Ducks worse now and his cap doesn’t make a difference in the teams ability to sign anyone in the next 2 years.

Literally zero upside unless you think he is worse then his replacement, which he isn’t.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Hell no to Reinhart… he’s playing with Barkov who elevates his linemates.

I wonder if we just have terrible pro scouts because good teams like the panthers find a ton of mid-20 year old gems… Verhaeghe(can’t spell it), Forsling, Montour, Eetustarinen (another hard one), Stenlund… we need to find these types BEFORE they signs big contract… not Leasons, Lindstrom types …

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad