GWT: 2023-24 English Domestic Cups (FA/Carabao)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I empathize with Klopp's answer because as an official this is always how I want to respond to people who give me shit. The people who insult me constantly can't even get off their couch to run. But it's a poor answer.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Klopp and Pep both do this. They’ll bitch, moan, and whine about fixture congestion and then not take very apparent opportunities to rotate.
Did Klopp blame the fixture congestion for this game? I would be VERY surprised but if he did he would lose my respect this is applicable for good teams and all managers know that.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The fact that it was at home honestly makes it even more strange that he played a first team, because it meant a Prague comeback was basically impossible. The game was over BEFORE IT STARTED because of the aggregate score. I know we have a tendency to forget that pro athletes are also people, but don’t be surprised when unnecessary minutes make you gassed in ET!

Klopp and Pep both do this. They’ll bitch, moan, and whine about fixture congestion and then not take very apparent opportunities to rotate.
Klopp has ran his players into the ground for years and then is unhappy when it backfires. He deserves zero sympathy for the consequences of his decisions.

Reactions: gary69

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Did Klopp blame the fixture congestion for this game? I would be VERY surprised but if he did he would lose my respect this is applicable for good teams and all managers know that.
No it was clearly one of those 'you want to criticize my players for not running with as much food as you eat' kind of answers. He didn't blame anything, the reporter questioned the players physical condition and he saw red.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Only one team had players play unnecessary minutes 72 hours ago. One team might’ve wanted it more, but that’s obviously a relevant variable and to pretend it’s not is foolhardy. To say that the players “let him down” is such an enormous way of pretending that Klopp is not also responsible for Liverpool’s loss here. They’re all responsible! Him and the players!
The fatigue excuse is what I meant by the players let him down. Of course the manager has to take some blame he is the one that make the tactics and decisions but I do not buy that if Klopp played the kids on thursday they would have played better. I am not a pro player but they certainly did not look out of breath or even close to be tired after that Prague game. If anything it looked more like a casual practice. All the key players were subs out, with the exception of Salah who would have been susbtitued if Bobby Clark did not got a knock.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Fatigue's not why they lost though. They lost because they threw everyone up for a corner at the end instead of take their chances with penalties. And for the record Klopp did not blame fatigue. The reporter asked him about fatigue and he lost his mind.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Fatigue's not why they lost though. They lost because they threw everyone up for a corner at the end instead of take their chances with penalties.
It's more than just that. The whole team were not up to par mentally. Something was not right. Over confidence maybe? Arrogance... something not right with the mentality of the players with so little games to play and that many important games too.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
No to me it's just Gakpo if I'm looking for something to blame. He's been a problem all season but it hadn't cost the team yet. You can't process things as slowly as him at this level.

GI5DHrVW8AAqgn4

This was just one of the instances but they didn't even get a good shot out of this.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Klopp has ran his players into the ground for years and then is unhappy when it backfires. He deserves zero sympathy for the consequences of his decisions.
Klopp is a very pro player type of manager. He always ask his players if they are up to play. I have never heard about one player in his 9 years at LFC that blamed to be overplayed. At somepoint many fans questioned Klopp for playing Salah and Mane that much but Klopp answered that Salah and Mane are VERY competitive they do not take being benched very well and they always have shown the effort. The players that need to answer the call is the player subbed in like Gakpo. He has no excuse to not put in the effort.

Heck last summer he had plan to keep Henderson and Fabinho but by playing them less and they were angry about that as they want to play all games and they left.

I do find Klopp very stubborn with his small first team squad and substitution but apparently Klopp does not like having player not playing a lot. He does not like having unhappy player on his team. I do find it odd, that people put the blame on Klopp. If anything he is the master at shielding the blame against his players. I have never heard one bad word against his player except that one bad game against Brighton last year but he never named the player(s). Just said unacceptable effort and there would be change, everybody assumed the midifielder and he did brought 4 new midfielders in the following summer.

He is the anti Mourinho. He never blame the players publicly.

Last edited:

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Carney Chukwuemeka is such a baller. He's the glue in the final third. That link-up with Palmer when he came on was just innate chemistry between top footballers.

Hope he pushes on, he's been a top English product since his Villa days.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s what it is. Klopp can’t finish for these guys.

It’s also representative of how LFC used to be. United can now get up for some things. Play above themselves. Whatever. It happens.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
No it was clearly one of those 'you want to criticize my players for not running with as much food as you eat' kind of answers. He didn't blame anything, the reporter questioned the players physical condition and he saw red.

Passive aggressive bullshit. Why would a writers girth have f*** all to do with anything?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Mainoo looks like he could be very very good. Bit of a bad break on the deflected goal, but he’s been really solid so far.

Excellent with the ball at his feet and is very shifty in tight areas.
He’s the only player on Utd that I’d take

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
No to me it's just Gakpo if I'm looking for something to blame. He's been a problem all season but it hadn't cost the team yet. You can't process things as slowly as him at this level.

GI5DHrVW8AAqgn4

This was just one of the instances but they didn't even get a good shot out of this.

He has two EASY options. The pass to the left is on. The pass to the right is a bit more difficult, but he has 3 options there. He just holds it, doesn't even really get a shot out of it.

It was absurd. He wasn't the only one. But man.

I don't blame Klopp for getting pissed. Being tired was a factor. He withdrew Salah / Robertson because both of them had faded a bit at the 60-65 minute mark. I do question whether or not he went a bit risk adverse with playing Gomez instead of Bradley early on, but who knows. He did it to get some more defensive support there and Gomez turned in one of his worst games this season. It was a factor, but it wasn't the factor in why they didn't win.

I don't have time for the United parade about getting through this round. Maybe they'll have more than one or two shots against City when they face them for it (If that's where it ends up).

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I do question whether or not he went a bit risk adverse with playing Gomez instead of Bradley early on, but who knows. He did it to get some more defensive support there and Gomez turned in one of his worst games this season.
Gomez was decisive on one of the Pool goals while Bradley couldn't stop the winner from being scored, running back with all the grace of new born Bambi.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Gomez was decisive on one of the Pool goals while Bradley couldn't stop the winner from being scored, running back with all the grace of new born Bambi.
100%. It's certainly a bit of second guessing.

For all the crowing going on, there's enough for it to be less about what United did and more what Liverpool failed to do. They had a chance to walk out of their with a win, probably should have, and didn't. It happens. It's a great moment for United (considering their season has been pretty much shit), but for me, it's more about Liverpool than United in the discussions.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
100%. It's certainly a bit of second guessing.

For all the crowing going on, there's enough for it to be less about what United did and more what Liverpool failed to do. They had a chance to walk out of their with a win, probably should have, and didn't. It happens. It's a great moment for United (considering their season has been pretty much shit), but for me, it's more about Liverpool than United in the discussions.
I mean if LFC take care of the ball they win. Look at the period around the 60-70th minute where they possessed the ball and United had no idea where to go/what to do. They wouldn’t have been able to take the ball off LFC for an hour if we didn’t brain fart. Their second goal was a result of some lucky pin ball bounces. Their 3rd goal was I think Tsimikas making a dumb unnecessary pass right to a Utd player and the 4th goal I guess was only because Klopp wanted to dodge a PK shootout because their set up on the corner Utd countered from was absurd. Just a bunch of unforced errors from a team that has not done that very often this season; but also didn’t see anything that makes me afraid to be back there in a couple weeks. But hey that’s soccer. Will see how it goes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad