Prospect Info: 2023-24 Ducks Prospects

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
the consensus matters because it's a large sample size of opinion of people who have been watching both closely. If Chicago took Carlsson and left Anaheim to pick Bedard would you guys be saying these same things? Of course not we would be laughing at Chicago for going off the board like that, and Verbeek to date has not earned any benefit of the doubt as a talent evaluator so until he proves himself he's going to get questioned and I don't see the issue with that
Verbeek might not have the good will yet of proving he makes good picks in the draft, but Madden certainly does. The reports were that it was unanimous throughout our scouts, and that can somewhat be backed up by Maddens comments pre-draft. I thought it was a smokescreen at the time, but once you see the pick you have no choice but to believe he really felt Fantilli was a straight line player.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
the consensus matters because it's a large sample size of opinion of people who have been watching both closely. If Chicago took Carlsson and left Anaheim to pick Bedard would you guys be saying these same things? Of course not we would be laughing at Chicago for going off the board like that, and Verbeek to date has not earned any benefit of the doubt as a talent evaluator so until he proves himself he's going to get questioned and I don't see the issue with that

Hyperbole much? In no way was Fantilli a “consensus” over Carlsson the same way Bedard was over the field. I think you might be confusing a majority opinion with a consensus.

If you are looking for “Consensus” look no further then the entire group of Ducks scouts, who were undoubtedly watching Fantilli/Carlsson closer than anyone, knowing they would be making a pick between them. Oh, and they have proven to be pretty good at their job.

Reactions: AngelDuck

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
At this point there is no certainty as to who will be the better player, Fantilli or Carlsson. Only time will tell. There were certainly supporters of both as the number 2 pick. Both, regardless of the preference of the author, were projected as future 1st line players. There was some discussion with regards to both as to whether they would play at center or wing. My memory of the discussion was that Carlsson was picked by more authors as the more likely center due to his style of play.

Arguing now that the Ducks made the wrong choice is significantly premature. As with all new draftees, let us look at this in five years and measure the past and future prognosis for the players at that point in time. Right now this discussion is a symptom of absolute summer boredom.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Verbeek might not have the good will yet of proving he makes good picks in the draft, but Madden certainly does. The reports were that it was unanimous throughout our scouts, and that can somewhat be backed up by Maddens comments pre-draft. I thought it was a smokescreen at the time, but once you see the pick you have no choice but to believe he really felt Fantilli was a straight line player.

I doubt longevity garners respect. Former GM Murray started drafting for the Ducks in 2009. When we drafted McTavish 3rd overall in 2021, the masses and a majority of HFposters didn't afford good will about the selection. I shared all the positive traits for McTavish before the draft, but the masses would rather stick their heads into the ground than accept that info.

As for Madden's pre-draft comments on Fantilli, Carlsson, and Smith, I thought it was very apt for a one-sentence description of each player that did not identify flaws or things to do better. I came to the same conclusion early and shared it often on here. Just like the McTavish selection, the masses didn't care accept the info on both. And like the Lindholm selection, fans don't trust the scouting group.

How would you describe the play styles of Adam Fantilli, Leo Carlsson and Will Smith?
MM: Fantilli is a fast-paced, straight line, skilled forward. Carlsson is an intelligent, creative big man who is imposing and competitive. Smith is a creative, fast, elusive and dynamic forward.​

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I doubt longevity garners respect. Former GM Murray started drafting for the Ducks in 2009. When we drafted McTavish 3rd overall in 2021, the masses and a majority of HFposters didn't afford good will about the selection. I shared all the positive traits for McTavish before the draft, but the masses would rather stick their heads into the ground than accept that info.

As for Madden's pre-draft comments on Fantilli, Carlsson, and Smith, I thought it was very apt for a one-sentence description of each player that did not identify flaws or things to do better. I came to the same conclusion early and shared it often on here. Just like the McTavish selection, the masses didn't care accept the info on both. And like the Lindholm selection, fans don't trust the scouting group.

How would you describe the play styles of Adam Fantilli, Leo Carlsson and Will Smith?
MM: Fantilli is a fast-paced, straight line, skilled forward. Carlsson is an intelligent, creative big man who is imposing and competitive. Smith is a creative, fast, elusive and dynamic forward.​
You're still reading too much into that.

Reactions: KelVarnsen

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I’ll post this one more time now that it’s relevant again.

Potential rookie tournament lineup:

Nesterenko-Carlsson-Pastujov
Regenda*-Gaucher-Perreault*
Tracey*-Terrance-Sidorov
Myatovic-King-Pitre
Hvidston-Lopina*-Caulfield
Wiebe-McLaughlin*

Mintyukov-Helleson*
Hinds-Zellweger
LaCombe-Luneau
Dionicio-Warren (injured?)
Smith-Port

Clang
Alexander

*May not participate due to age or number of times playing in this tournament in past years.

Last edited:

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I’ll post this one more time now that it’s relevant again.

Potential rookie tournament lineup:

Nesterenko-Carlsson-Pastujov
Regenda-Gaucher-Perreault
Tracey-Terrance-Sidorov
Myatovic-King-Pitre
Hvidston-Lopina-Caulfield
Wiebe-McLaughlin?

Mintyukov-Helleson
Hinds-Zellweger
LaCombe-Luneau
Dionicio-Warren (injured?)
Smith-Port

Clang
Alexander

That’s an absurd defensive core at this point in all of their respected careers.

Reactions: Yemeth

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Dunno where to put this since Drysdale isn't a prospect. Something to talk about... maybe. Wheeler still has Drysdale up high at #11

It's still way too early for this, but his reasoning for rankings seems wonky. There's no way you'd take Laf or Byfield over say Mercer or Drysdale at this point in their careers. Both Mercer and Drysdale have shown significantly more promise than the former. Mercer probably goes #3 over Raymond based on what he's shown so far.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
1690312772580.png

Reactions: lwvs84

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Warren i imagine is a long shot, while i think luneau will be a lock
Assuming he’s healthy, I don’t think Warren is as much of a long shot as some may think. There are only 5 RHD on that list. Luneau is likely a lock, then you have Nelson and Cagnoni who are smaller, offensive guys, and then Warren and Lamoureux who are giant, defensive guys. If they bring 3 RHD, I’m guessing they pick Luneau, 1 of Nelson/Cagnoni, and 1 of Warren/Lamoureux.

Reactions: Kalv

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Luneau is likely the top pairing RHD. What is this, 5 years in a row the Ducks have the top pairing RHD for team canada?

Reactions: lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad