Prospect Info: 2023-24 Ducks Prospects

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
This. Although it could be fun doing some sort of poll after rookie camp and preseason and what not where we discuss which prospects raised their stock the most.
That could be a good thread idea if the poll starts before rookie camp.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
There was a recent discussion on the 2017 class and how bad it was for us (but really, lower rounds produced little to nothing for anybody).
I'm a big believer that players start entering their primes around 5 years from the draft eligibility and that's when you start seeing how much they can really do. So I also sometimes look back at ~5 year old drafts to see how well we did there. Always the most recent draft feels like will produce a number of NHL players but that is actually rarely the case.

It was nice to see that Ducks'n'Pucks also doing something like this:

I think we did well with Lundestrom, Groulx, and Dostal.
Perhaps we could have went with McBain instead of BO, but no assurance he'd have signed with us. There is also Kurashev and Sharangovic we could have taken in lower rounds, but not like they're bending the league either. Overall, I think we did quite ok.

Reactions: branmuffin17

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
There was a recent discussion on the 2017 class and how bad it was for us (but really, lower rounds produced little to nothing for anybody).
I'm a big believer that players start entering their primes around 5 years from the draft eligibility and that's when you start seeing how much they can really do. So I also sometimes look back at ~5 year old drafts to see how well we did there. Always the most recent draft feels like will produce a number of NHL players but that is actually rarely the case.

It was nice to see that Ducks'n'Pucks also doing something like this:

I think we did well with Lundestrom, Groulx, and Dostal.
Perhaps we could have went with McBain instead of BO, but no assurance he'd have signed with us. There is also Kurashev and Sharangovic we could have taken in lower rounds, but not like they're bending the league either. Overall, I think we did quite ok.
Its such a crapshoot in the later rounds that you are lucky if you get an NHL player out of a 2nd round pick.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Carlsson just posted an Instagram story of him playing golf with Hvidston and Pastujov in Florida. Wonder how many other guys are joining them and what exactly they are working on over there.

I believe that's where the Ducks have been training in the off-season. Drysdale was on a zoom video interview that he and McTavish were in Florida training. Unfortunately, I can't find the video on youtube any longer.

Reactions: lwvs84

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Finally got my hands on THN's Future Watch 2023 edition. It's a tradition to have the actual magazine than digital. The publication was out before the season ended, so the it doesn't reflect three d-men of the year, Hinds winning def d-man of the year, nor the 2023 draft.

THN has the pool ranked 2nd best.

Our five-year ranking (before the draft):
2019: 21st​
2020: 14th​
2021: 4th​
2022: 1st​
2023: 2nd​

Anaheim's top-10, THN Future Watch 2023 (top-100 THN FW rank)
1. D Minty (11th)​
2. D Zelly (36th)​
3. C Gaucher (66)​
4. G Dostal (74th)​
5. D LaCombe (78th)​
6. D Hinds​
7. D Warren​
8. D Luneau​
9. RW Perreault​
10. G Clang​

Damn, only two forwards in the top-10 for us in this THN Future Watch issue. Getting Carlsson was a big boost in the forward dept and explains why we went forward heavy with four out of first five selections in the 2023 draft.

Snippet on LaCombe: After reaching the 30-point plateau for the first time in his NCAA career, LaCombe has an outside shot of hitting 40 points as a senior. That's the of refining the offensive tools, including a great skating stride, deft puck-moving skills, and sound decision-making, LaCombe has also taken on a leadership role with the Gophers. All that's left is physical maturity. Ducks GM Pat Verbeek admits that's nitpicking, but he'd like to see LaCombe pack on some muscle and become more imposing.

Doing some digging, LaCombe finished 4th overall in points for NCAA defensemen last year with 34 points (9g + 26a), a 0.95 ppg rate. We might be overlooking LaCombe.

=== Last year's Future Watch top-10 ===

Anaheim's top-10, THN Future Watch 2022 (top-100 THN FW rank)
1. C McTavish (4th)​
2. G Dostal (69th)​
3. D Zellweger (74th)​
4. RW Perreault (77th)​
5. D Helleson (83rd)​
6. LW Tracey​
7. D LaCombe​
8. RW Pastujov​
9. D Thrun​
10. D Moore​

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Getting major Max Jones vibes lol

giphy.gif

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
What’s Da Beauty League? Some independent summer league like the Arizona Fall League in baseball?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00