Speculation: 2023/24 Defence

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't think it would cost that much for Carlo, but your right about there being some risk.

Boston is in a bit of a cap pinch at the moment, Forbert is coming off LTIR in Dec, they are going to be a motivated seller, and while they may prefer not to move Carlo, he's eating 4 mil that they might need this offseason.

Parayko to me is the dream acquisition but he's going to likely cost too much.
I can’t see Parayko moving and if he did he has a full NTC, can’t see him waiving for us.

I doubt Carlo is moved. Boston is going for it so I imagine they will run a 20 man roster once Forbert is back.

Reactions: Alex1234

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'd love to get Parayko, even if we overpay to get him.

Having said that, if Dorion can take advantage of a salary cap strapped team like Boston, that'd be awesome. Marchand and Bergeron aren't getting any younger and both are still playing at a high level. Pasta is a top 5 winger in the game and showing why. They have role guys like Connor Clifton that are stepping up and playing like a top 4 defender. Carlo makes a tad bit too much to be a 3rd pairing guy on a team like Boston that has so much depth. The Bruins are better off with some cap flexibility. If they want to go all in this year, they can afford to trade him for some assets.

Not saying he'll be available for super cheap, but the Sens might not have to pay a premium since the Bruins have a log jam on defense. I'd offer Washington's 2nd, our 2024 2nd, a B prospect like Sokolov or Jarventie to see if that can get the convo started

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Last year, before we made all our crazy big moves, I made a point that we won't be able to likely hang with the high flying octane powers of the East due to our budget, and we will likely have to outduel them through a powerful defense. Our big spending on offense made me reconsider, but I was still hesitant and noted that even with the big moves, a legit top 4 needed to be added (at worst a Larsson or Marino). Zub re-signing and another top 4 were top of my list for needs last off-season.

Dorion failed to do that (any of that really). And here we are.

Hamonic is not top 4, barely top 6, ill give him 5 conservatively. Holden is a number 6. Brannstrom is a number 6-7 on a legit playoff team. Zub is a top 4. Sanderson is a number 3 currently, playing like a 2 at times.

Last night:

2-5
3-5
6-6

With Chabot (but Chabot has looked like a 4-5 recently).

1-3
3-5
6-6

We might need to use DeBrincat in a package for that elusive top 3 D we need. Our defense is a far cry from what we need it to be.

Reactions: bicboi64

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ottawa has two legit defenders under contract for next year. That's it. If Zub sings, that is 3.

Holden is done. Hamonic won't be back, and if he is, it will be at half the price and as a bottom pairing. I truly tthat JBD will be a fixture on this blueline. Sad that he got hurt because he was getting into a groove. Brannstrom should be traded.

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-JBD
Hamonic- Thomson

Not good enough. I would trade DeBrincat for defensive help

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Sanderson - XXX
Chabot - XXX
XXX - Bernard-Docker

That's what we're looking at for next year. I think it's unlikely Zub returns, so there'll be a lot of work for the next GM. Fixing this defence feels like a 2-3 year process.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Last year, before we made all our crazy big moves, I made a point that we won't be able to likely hang with the high flying octane powers of the East due to our budget, and we will likely have to outduel them through a powerful defense. Our big spending on offense made me reconsider, but I was still hesitant and noted that even with the big moves, a legit top 4 needed to be added (at worst a Larsson or Marino). Zub re-signing and another top 4 were top of my list for needs last off-season.

Dorion failed to do that (any of that really). And here we are.

Hamonic is not top 4, barely top 6, ill give him 5 conservatively. Holden is a number 6. Brannstrom is a number 6-7 on a legit playoff team. Zub is a top 4. Sanderson is a number 3 currently, playing like a 2 at times.

Last night:

2-5
3-5
6-6

With Chabot (but Chabot has looked like a 4-5 recently).

1-3
3-5
6-6

We might need to use DeBrincat in a package for that elusive top 3 D we need. Our defense is a far cry from what we need it to be.
On a well built team Hamonic is at best a bottom pairing guy and Holden/Brannstrom are TDL depth pickups.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Ottawa has two legit defenders under contract for next year. That's it. If Zub sings, that is 3.

Holden is done. Hamonic won't be back, and if he is, it will be at half the price and as a bottom pairing. I truly tthat JBD will be a fixture on this blueline. Sad that he got hurt because he was getting into a groove. Brannstrom should be traded.

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-JBD
Hamonic- Thomson

The problem is other teams won't. Kevin Fiala was traded for Brock Faber. That's the type of return you're getting for DBC. Prospects, picks and filler.

You're not getting an established top 4 defenseman.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sanderson - XXX
Chabot - XXX
XXX - Bernard-Docker

That's what we're looking at for next year. I think it's unlikely Zub returns, so there'll be a lot of work for the next GM. Fixing this defence feels like a 2-3 year process.

UFA
Debrincat/Batherson trade
UFA

Becomes much easier with a Zub re-signing but I think Dorion needs to be canned to get a Zub deal done.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Sanderson - XXX
Chabot - XXX
XXX - Bernard-Docker

Ya, I've been looking at the same issue. Even if we manage to hang on to Zub, there's still going to be a couple of holes to fill.

The 3rd pair requirement shouldn't be too problematic, so it would be one large issue "assuming" Zub stays. It's still a pretty large problem no matter how you slice it and whether or not Zub stays.

I think they need to pay attention to pairings and which partners would be optimal for the key players that we will definitely have on the team. We could spend a lot of money let's say on an offensive defenseman and still bleed goals.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The problem is other teams won't. Kevin Fiala was traded for Brock Faber. That's the type of return you're getting for DBC. Prospects, picks and filler.

You're not getting an established top 4 defenseman.
That’s a rather large assumption on your part. Fiala returned futures because that’s what Minnesota wanted.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
That’s a rather large assumption on your part. Fiala returned futures because that’s what Minnesota wanted.

Which team do you think is trading an established top-4 RD for DeBrincat?

What we're looking for is that hardest-to-find commodity in the league. The idea that you'll get someone like Parayko straight up, is asinine, IMO.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
My memory is hazy, but did Dorion say he was pencilling in JBD /Thomson as top 4 so that was the reason for Zubs two year contract?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

What we're looking for is that hardest-to-find commodity in the league. The idea that you'll get someone like Parayko straight up, is asinine, IMO.
No one ever said a deal would have to be one for one. Some examples of possible fits are Ekholm, Hronek or a kid with potential like Adam Boqvist.

Reactions: bicboi64

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-JBD
Hamonic- Thomson

Would you do Batherson instead and keep DeBrincat? I think Batherson would give a bigger/more varied return that could help in more positions. It would also "inform" players that have been here awhile that the team goal is to win and the club will what it takes. I know this is not popular idea. Also..I really like Bath.

Sanderson - XXX
Chabot - XXX
XXX - Bernard-Docker

I remember being told 2 and 3 summers ago that it was too early to get help on defence.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Would you do Batherson instead and keep DeBrincat? I think Batherson would give a bigger/more varied return that could help in more positions. It would also "inform" players that have been here awhile that the team goal is to win and the club will what it takes. I know this is not popular idea. Also..I really like Bath.

I remember being told 2 and 3 summers ago that it was too early to get help on defence.
We have all seen how good Batherson can be. He needs thei Hockey Canada distractionout of his head. He has been incredibly disappointing the last 14 games, and I don't think it is a coincidence.

We have not seen how good DeBrincat can be. We have only seen allo fhis warts, so it is tough to say. They are all vad right now...except Brady and Jake

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
We have all seen how good Batherson can be. He needs thei Hockey Canada distractionout of his head. He has been incredibly disappointing the last 14 games, and I don't think it is a coincidence.

We have not seen how good DeBrincat can be. We have only seen allo fhis warts, so it is tough to say. They are all vad right now...except Brady and Jake
I had the same thought about Batherson. If this is the worst DeBricat is...when he gets hot!

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
We have not seen how good DeBrincat can be.

This is the part that absolutely terrifies me about moving him.

The guy has 16 points in 20 games playing a LOTTTT of minutes with Brassard and Joseph, while still only shooting 7%. His career average is 15... so if he was shooting career average he would be sitting at 10/11 goals instead of 5... which is again on pace for 41-45 goals this year.

The kid is 24, an RFA, and has been misused a lot since arriving in Ottawa.

Reactions: Yak

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Mayfield
Kleven - JBD/Thomson

Like that top 4. Bottom pairing extremely green. Will need another notable bottom pair guy. Wouldn't mind Hamonic as number 6 with a clearly better number 5 on the pairing.

Mayfield, Carlo, Dumba. There will be options available for us to pursue.

The issue is, we need that addition asap.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Agree
That's why I mentioned Hronek last week
Because It's Cat hometown, DET has cap space and they could move Hronek because of Seideras #1 its less of a blow, and both Cat and Hronek are next year RFAs
DET might not be willing of course
Could sweeten the deal with Jarventie or Boucher or someone

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Agree
That's why I mentioned Hronek last week
Because It's Cat hometown, DET has cap space and they could move Hronek because of Seideras #1 its less of a blow, and both Cat and Hronek are next year RFAs
DET might not be willing of course
Could sweeten the deal with Jarventie or Boucher or someone
Detroit is definitely not willing.

25 year old 23 minute a night RD who can put up 45-55+ points.

Will probably cost 4 million less than DBC

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

It was a different world then. The only way we could add back then was dollars in and out.

Reactions: Loach

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Like that top 4. Bottom pairing extremely green. Will need another notable bottom pair guy. Wouldn't mind Hamonic as number 6 with a clearly better number 5 on the pairing.

Mayfield, Carlo, Dumba. There will be options available for us to pursue.

The issue is, we need that addition asap.
I keep coming back to this but if we add a big ticket like Severson or Dumba AND re-sign Zub then one of our expensive wingers has to go. We will also need to find a goalie in the off-season.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Mayfield
Kleven - JBD/Thomson
If you are including Kleven this must be 24/25 season at the earliest, he’s not really close.

You would be worried if your world was about to blow up as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad