Speculation: 2023/24 Defence

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Looking out to next season here are the organizations D under contract or control.

Under contract requiring waivers

Chabot
Zaitsev
Sanderson
Thomson
Heatherington

Under contract and waiver exempt including CHL players

Guenette
Donovan
Hamara

RFA will require waivers if re-signed

Brannstrom
JBD
Larsson
Rubens

Interesting than Thomson needs to either be moved or will need to be on the roster next year as he will not be waiver exempt.

Opportunity is there to rebuild the D as the only guys under contract who are locks are Chabot and Sanderson. How would you fill in the other 5 spots.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
LHD :

Thomas Chabot
Jake Sanderson
Erik Brannstrom

RHD :

Artem Zub
Jacob Bernard-Docker

Need to add a good RHD and a versatile cheap veteran ala Holden (younger if possible)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
LHD :

Thomas Chabot
Jake Sanderson
Erik Brannstrom

RHD :

Artem Zub
Jacob Bernard-Docker

Need to add a good RHD and a versatile cheap veteran ala Holden (younger if possible)
I’m thinking a bigger transformation.

Sanderson Severson
Chabot Zub
Soucy JBD/Thomson

It would mean trading Debrincat but it was a bad decision to get another winger over D.

If Debrincat could return a guy like Parayko or Andersson then I’d do that over the big contract to Severson.

Reactions: Yak and Pinto Bean

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I’m thinking a bigger transformation.

Sanderson Severson
Chabot Zub
Soucy JBD/Thomson

It would mean trading Debrincat but it was a bad decision to get another winger over D.

If Debrincat could return a guy like Parayko or Andersson then I’d do that over the big contract to Severson.

If we could parlay DeBrincat into Parayko or Andersson, that'd be really ideal. Let's say we could do DeBrincat for Andersson + Toffoli (so it works for Calgary cap space wise)

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Toffoli - Stutzle - Giroux
Greig - Pinto - Joseph
Crookshank - Kastelic - Sokolov
Kelly

Chabot - Andersson
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - JBD
Holden - Thomson

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I noticed Parayko's name mentioned a few times in here (& main boards). So, I did a little research.

I found an article where GM Armstrong was talking about his team issues and what they might do. He definitely didn't seem like a GM that was planning to blow up his team or embracing a rebuild based on what he said. I checked CapFriendly and the Blues will have some cap issues this summer. But there are several ways they could resolve those issues. I'm not sure that this necessarily means that trading Parayko as a means to solve their cap issues is in the cards so to speak.

Hopefully a player like Parayko does become available. But, it does seem like there's an assumption that its a given that the Blues will need to do this. I'm not convinced that this is the case. We'll see what happens.

Sometimes I think the player we want are the players that the team that has them is the least likely to give up. The reasons we want that player so badly is likely the same reason the current team would want to keep the player. Also, if we assume the player will go on the market, then the interest in a player like that would be very high and the competition to land the player would be very steep.

Hope for the best of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Unless Hamonic is willing to sign for $1 million, him and Holden need to be moved at the deadline. Retain half and get whatever draft picks you can. Even if we keep them, it can only be for a 7th defender role.

We need one more top 4 RD and let JBD or Thomson earn the 3 RD spot. As much as I want Parayko, I'm not sure the Blues move him considering how valuable he is. I'd try to pry an RD out of LA or CGY. Something like DeBrincat + Holden for Arvidsson, Walker, and any of their numerous prospects. Or DeBrincat + Thomson for Andersson/Tanev, Toffoli and a draft pick/prospect.

Chabot Zub
Sanderson Tanev/Andersson/Walker
Brannstrom JBD

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
FWIW, here's a list of the Free Agent defensemen for next year.

If I sorted on RD (or LD/RD) and TOI greater than 20 minutes, here is what I "noted":
  • Klingberg
  • Dunn
  • Clifton
  • Jensen
  • Dumba
  • Gudas
  • Severson
At least these guys are available in theory.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Unless Dorion brings one in we could see Heatherington, Guenette, Zaitsev and/or Thomson over the next 4-6 weeks. Sucks for JBD.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dorion will find a way to acquire Myers

If I sorted on RD (or LD/RD) and TOI greater than 20 minutes, here is what I "noted":
  • Klingberg
  • Dunn
  • Clifton
  • Jensen
  • Dumba
  • Gudas

Klingberg didn’t want to come here this year he won’t come next

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

• Klingberg
  • Dunn
  • Clifton
  • Jensen
  • Dumba
  • Gudas
I'll take any of those guys on our roster right now. They're better options than what we have and at worst we have depth at RD (something we haven't had in years.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

• Klingberg
  • Dunn
  • Clifton
  • Jensen
  • Dumba
  • Gudas

Severson is the big fish UFA wise this year
But don't know why he wouldn't re-sign with his actual powerhouse

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If we could parlay DeBrincat into Parayko or Andersson, that'd be really ideal. Let's say we could do DeBrincat for Andersson + Toffoli (so it works for Calgary cap space wise)

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Toffoli - Stutzle - Giroux
Greig - Pinto - Joseph
Crookshank - Kastelic - Sokolov
Kelly

Chabot - Andersson
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - JBD
Holden - Thomson

What about Debrincat and JBD for Andersson, Toffoli, and Vladar? Flames would prefer a RHD back since their prospect pool overall is kinda bare on them. Vladar is another stable goalie.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Severson is the big fish UFA wise this year
But don't know why he wouldn't re-sign with his actual powerhouse
Yes, Severson (who I added to the list after somehow missing him when I did the sort) would be a decent target if he decides he is moving on from the Devils.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex1234

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
What about Debrincat and JBD for Andersson, Toffoli, and Vladar? Flames would prefer a RHD back since their prospect pool overall is kinda bare on them. Vladar is another stable goalie.
Seems pretty light from Ottawa's side. Would think interest in Andersen would be high assuming Calgary is even considering moving him. He's a good player with a good contract.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Seems pretty light from Ottawa's side. Would think interest in Andersen would be high assuming Calgary is even considering moving him. He's a good player with a good contract.

I'd personally do it as both Sens and Flames fan. JBD will fit super well bottom 6 under Sutter, heck honestly he'd be fine as a top 4 Dman under Sutter.

Weegar-Tanev
Hanifin-JBD
Zadorov-Stone

Kylington-Tanev
Hanifin-Weegar
Zadorov-JBD

many options work.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I'd personally do it as both Sens and Flames fan. JBD will fit super well bottom 6 under Sutter, heck honestly he'd be fine as a top 4 Dman under Sutter.

Weegar-Tanev
Hanifin-JBD
Zadorov-Stone

Kylington-Tanev
Hanifin-Weegar
Zadorov-JBD

many options work.
Sure, Sens would do it. I'm skeptical Calgary would.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Sure, Sens would do it. I'm skeptical Calgary would.

There's definitely doubt, but at the same time having a sniper in the top 6 would be excellent.

Huberdeau-Kadri-Mangiapane
Debrincat-Lindholm-Ruzcika
Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman (Finally no more Lewis in top 9).
Rooney-Zary-Schwindt

Hanifin-Weegar
Kylington-Tanev
Zadorov-JBD

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
All the Flames fans who seen this DeBrincat for Andersson proposal didn't seem to hate it at all... and you know how fans usually react when you trade for one of their players...

You obviously have to give to get and both teams are giving a very big piece here. They need a premium winger and ADB fits the bill. They'll be fine on RD with Weegar, Tanev and Kylington

Why do the Sens have to add there?

DeBrincat is a proven PPG and 40 goals scorer at 24 y/o

We don't need Vladar. Toffoli is to make the cap work for the Flames next year

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
All the Flames fans who seen this DeBrincat for Andersson proposal didn't seem to hate it at all... and you know how fans usually react when you trade for one of their players...

You obviously have to give to get and both teams are giving a very big piece here

Why do the Sens have to add there?

DeBrincat is a proven PPG and 40 goals scorer at 24 y/o

We don't need Vladar. Toffoli is to make the cap work for the Flames next year
Because Anderson is a better player, on a much, much, much better contract, at a much more important position.

If Sens were offered anything remotely close to that they would get it done asap.

Reactions: Big Muddy

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
People are in for a massive disappointment when DeBrincat is traded.

Moving DeBrincat also creates a hole in the top 6 which the team can't fill internally.

On top of that, you have to be aware of Girouxs age and the potential for some slowdown on the current production.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul won't help the Sens. We don't have the depth. They need to keep our top players and find away to add a top 4 defenceman.

One or both of JBD/Thomson can take 3rd pairing/7th defenceman duties.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Because Anderson is a better player, on a much, much, much better contract, at a much more important position.

If Sens were offered anything remotely close to that they would get it done asap.

I know everything that comes to Ottawa turns into crap but already? :laugh:

1668991587418.png

1668991700814.png

How much more than 7th OA + 39th OA + 3rd is Andersson worth?

And that was DeBrincat value at its lowest, in a buyer's market

By the way, the time of that trade is after this season so it's 3 seasons then UFA for The Rasmus.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Moving DeBrincat also creates a hole in the top 6 which the team can't fill internally.

On top of that, you have to be aware of Girouxs age and the potential for some slowdown on the current production.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul won't help the Sens. We don't have the depth. They need to keep our top players and find away to add a top 4 defenceman.

One or both of JBD/Thomson can take 3rd pairing/7th defenceman duties.
Sens currently have Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Giroux, Debrincat and then likely Norris as guys who are scoring at a 70-80 point level.

The Sens currently have Zub who is an every game regular D on the right side, and chances are pretty high he’s gone next year.

It’s not robbing Peter to pay Paul. It’s taking from the surplus we have and adding a piece we have zero of.

People are going to be very upset when we see the return of a Debrincat trade next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad