Proposal: 2023-24 Blackhawks roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Taylor Hall is independent of this. It's about Nazar/Dach and I guess even though Nazar has a higher ceiling at this point, Kirby might be a better fit for roster construction.
Either way, probably no Bedard if we keep Kirby. Same goes for the DeBrincat trade, like at the time it was virtually consensus that we didn’t get full value back but part of the goal was to tank for Bedard and we achieved that so not much we can really say. Hopefully KK and Nazar pan out, I love Nazar but still really wish we’d picked Mintyukov instead of KK tho and I’m a little concerned about the overemphasis on skating from the scouting staff but who knows how these players are going to develop

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Either way, probably no Bedard if we keep Kirby. Same goes for the DeBrincat trade, like at the time it was virtually consensus that we didn’t get full value back but part of the goal was to tank for Bedard and we achieved that so not much we can really say. Hopefully KK and Nazar pan out, I love Nazar but still really wish we’d picked Mintyukov instead of KK tho and I’m a little concerned about the overemphasis on skating from the scouting staff but who knows how these players are going to develop
These are empty words because we got Bedard by lottery.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Dont even miss Dach. Smallest 6'5 player I've ever seen in recent memory whose Hawks tenure will be best remembered for having his ankles broken by Makar and Makar not even knowing who he is.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I’ve stated before I think the Hawks have another move yet to make for a veteran defenceman…they have four NHL calibre dmen signed, Jones Murphy Zaitsev and Tinordi…$12 million in cap space…I see another Zaitsev type trade or possibly a Tinordi type waiver grab…

My two ideas

#1 acquire TJBrodie from Toronto with either two 3rds for futures or with dman prospect William Villeneuve and a 3rd for futures…similar to the Zaitsev trade where Chicago also received a 2nd and 4th to take in two years of $4.5 million salary, Brodie has one year left at $5 million

#2 grab one of Zach Bogisian, Calvin de Haan or Hayden Fleury(thinking the later) from Tamp Bay as they’ll have to waive one…similar to Tinordi, a guy like Fleury could be a good grab

What you guys think?

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I’ve stated before I think the Hawks have another move yet to make for a veteran defenceman…they have four NHL calibre dmen signed, Jones Murphy Zaitsev and Tinordi…$12 million in cap space…I see another Zaitsev type trade or possibly a Tinordi type waiver grab…

My two ideas

#1 acquire TJBrodie from Toronto with either two 3rds for futures or with dman prospect William Villeneuve and a 3rd for futures…similar to the Zaitsev trade where Chicago also received a 2nd and 4th to take in two years of $4.5 million salary, Brodie has one year left at $5 million

#2 grab one of Zach Bogisian, Calvin de Haan or Hayden Fleury(thinking the later) from Tamp Bay as they’ll have to waive one…similar to Tinordi, a guy like Fleury could be a good grab

What you guys think?
the 2 guys that come to mind for me are tyler myers and eric brannstrom. vancouver and ott have some cap issues. between tanner peasrson being healthy and Pinto needing a $2mil contract.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

My two ideas

What you guys think?
We have enough of a vet presence on defense, save spots for kids

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

My two ideas

What you guys think?
Have a lot better expectations than just a 3rd rounder lol

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
We have enough of a vet presence on defense, save spots for kids

I agree.

I don't claim to know the details of KD's rebuild plan but it seems to me the highest priority for the 2023/24 season is get prospects into the lineup so the NHL experience clock starts ticking. At forward that's Bedard, Reichel and to a lesser degree Guttman. On defense that's Korchinski, Kaiser, Phillips, Vlassic and maybe Roos. Getting those young d-men as many games as they can will go a long way in rebuilding the d-corps as quickly as possible. There should be at least 2, if not 3, of those guys in the lineup every game. Winning games is not the objective for the 2023/24 season - progress in rebuilding the d-corps is.

Reactions: Muffinalt

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
From The Athletic:

Of the teams that had a top-seven draft pick in the 2023 NHL Draft, who do you see contending for a championship first? — Kyle H.

If the question were which team is best positioned for the long term, though, my answer would probably flip to the Blackhawks, whose blend of a blank slate, a superstar prospect, an upper-echelon prospect pool behind him, and more upcoming draft capital than any other team in the league should set them up for success.

Reactions: Muffinalt and Pez68

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
The teams that had a top-7 pick in the 2023 draft were:

1. Chicago
2. Anaheim
3. Columbus
4. San Jose
5. Montreal
6. Arizona
7. Philadelphia

Which of those teams will contend for a championship first? My guess is Columbus as I think they're closer to having a complete team than the other guys.

Columbus
Montreal
Anaheim
Arizona
Chicago
Philadelphia
San Jose

In that order. Columbus and Montreal are closest due to already having a fringe playoff team. San Jose just started their rebuild, Philly only started last year. Anaheim has a deep pool already and should be a lot better without Eakins. Arizona and us are neck and neck but could go either way they are basically the same and even rebuilt the same via hoarding a mertic ton of draft capital.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Columbus
Montreal
Anaheim
Arizona
Chicago
Philadelphia
San Jose

In that order. Columbus and Montreal are closest due to already having a fringe playoff team. San Jose just started their rebuild, Philly only started last year. Anaheim has a deep pool already and should be a lot better without Eakins. Arizona and us are neck and neck but could go either way they are basically the same and even rebuilt the same via hoarding a mertic ton of draft capital.

I'm with you on Columbus and Montreal being at the top of this "loser list". And I'm also with you on San Jose being the worst of the worst. The 4 teams in between - Anaheim, Arizona, Chicago and Philadelphia all have one or more "extenuating factors".

Anaheim has more of their new core group in place and change of coach should help them. Philadelphia is a mixed bag of sell off and young core players and they're getting back two key veteran players in Atkinson and Couterier. Chicago probably has the weakest roster on paper but they have the Bedard factor that is impossible to gauge that effect at this point. And then there's Arizona who has an influx of Cooley, Gauthier and a couple other young high end players.

So I would flip Chicago and Philadelphia in your list.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I'm with you on Columbus and Montreal being at the top of this "loser list". And I'm also with you on San Jose being the worst of the worst. The 4 teams in between - Anaheim, Arizona, Chicago and Philadelphia all have one or more "extenuating factors".

Anaheim has more of their new core group in place and change of coach should help them. Philadelphia is a mixed bag of sell off and young core players and they're getting back two key veteran players in Atkinson and Couterier. Chicago probably has the weakest roster on paper but they have the Bedard factor that is impossible to gauge that effect at this point. And then there's Arizona who has an influx of Cooley, Gauthier and a couple other young high end players.

So I would flip Chicago and Philadelphia in your list.
I actually picture Philly selling off more players just as San Jose is doing with everyone besides Couterier and Konecny being moved for picks and prospects

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Gonna be different lineup again this year…at least 10 new roster players from last year…not as dramatic a change from 2021-22 to 2022-23 season, but still significant enough…

2021-22 roster
PKane, ADeBrincat, DStrome, BHagel, JToews, DKubalik, KDach, PKURASHEV, MENTWISTLE, SLafferty, RCarpenter, HBorgstrom, RJOHNSON, JKhaira

SJONES, JMcCabe, EGustafsson, CJones, RStillman, CMURPHY, CdeHaan

MAFleury, KLankinen

2022-23 roster
MDomi, PKane, AATHANASIOU, TRADDYSH, TJOHNSON, JToews, JDICKINSON, PKURASHEV, SLafferty, BKATCHOUK, JKhaira, MENTWISTLE, CBLACKWELL, RJOHNSON

SJONES, JMcCabe, CJones, CMURPHY, JTINORDI, IMitchell, JJohnson

PMRAZEK, AStalock

Newbies look to be CBedard, THall, NFoligno, CPerry, LReichel, RDonato, CGuttman, NZaitsev, WKaiser, AVlasic and ASoberblom

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
So it sounds like OTT wants to move, Joseph who has 3 years left on his deal. at 2.95 AAV what do you think KD asks is. sounds like a good PK and plays with speed but not much OFF ability. a 2nd? how about OTT 1st and then we give back OTT 3rd in 2024 and there 4th in 2026. they would probably want some protection. maybe top 16? in 2024 and top10 in 2025

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
So it sounds like OTT wants to move, Joseph who has 3 years left on his deal. at 2.95 AAV what do you think KD asks is. sounds like a good PK and plays with speed but not much OFF ability. a 2nd? how about OTT 1st and then we give back OTT 3rd in 2024 and there 4th in 2026. they would probably want some protection. maybe top 16? in 2024 and top10 in 2025
I say we try for a bigger deal and try to pry Pinto out of there. Take on Joseph with him and send the Leafs 1st and another prospect back or something.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
We here in the Chicago area are known to cast multiple ballots so I'm voting again to say - no new players are needed or wanted - just don't do it. Especially a d-man who would take minutes away from the d-prospects we need to get experience to facilitate the rebuild sooner than later.

Reactions: Giovi

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I say we try for a bigger deal and try to pry Pinto out of there. Take on Joseph with him and send the Leafs 1st and another prospect back or something.
I dont think Chicago is a buyer yet, and I know OTT wants to get better not worse so I dont think it would fit either timeline

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I dont think Chicago is a buyer yet, and I know OTT wants to get better not worse so I dont think it would fit either timeline
I mean Pinto is only 22, that’s right in line with our timeline. The only reason I brought it up is because the Senators may not be able to sign him because of piss poor cap management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad