Proposal: 2023-24 Blackhawks roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
People have blown the Memorial Cup out of proportion, I watched the bulk of games in the WHL Playoffs and Korchinski played well. A lot of people saw one game where the team got worked and concluded Korchinski is terrible.

I'd send him back, but I was always on that train before the Memorial Cup. I'd like to see him play PK1 for instance in Juniors. There is no rush as the Hawks are not looking to compete next season and they can slide his ELC another year before having to make any rash judgments with an RFA contract on a less developed player (see Montreal choosing to decline to match an offer sheet for Kotkaniemi after his Age 20 season because he was prematurely rushed into the NHL). There is no reason to put a Junior-aged player in the NHL when you're not in a competitive window, unless they absolutely force you to an extent that it would damage both his and the whole team's psyche to not have him up after training camp + 9 games.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Korchinski played ALOT of hockey by the time the Memorial Cup final rolled around. I'm not gonna fault the kid for basically running out of gas at that point. I'd send him back but I want Richardson and the coaches working with him first. Whether that's 9 games in the NHL or a few more games, then send him back. I'm just happy they decided to not have them on the ice in July. Gives him and the other players who were in the playoffs for their respected teams more time to train for the season.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
A lot of KK's game is already in place. His skating and passing are very good. He sees and anticipates plays very well. His stick work breaks up and prevents plays. He knows where to be. He plays under control - low pulse - no deer in headlight moments.

BUT ... as I keep beating this dead horse - he gets overmatched physically sometimes - AND his shot either isn't good enough or he doesn't have confidence in his shot or both.

The question I have is whether it would be better for him to work on those weaknesses with the Hawks or back in the WHL. The getting stronger part may be better with the Hawks and their facilities and training staff. Probably the same with improving his shot. His games could be managed where he doesn't have to play the full slate of games. I think it could come down to his personality - is he the type to power through rough patches or is he the type to turtle when he feels overmatched?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He can get stronger just by eating a lot and lifting weights. He doesn't need to be in the NHL for that.

He's never gonna be the big booming shot from the powerplay. Hopefully he can improve upon it a bit but I think it's fair to just accept that 15+ goals from the blue line isn't gonna happen.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
ottowa is up against the cap and also has roster issues in regard to whom makes the Team. would you trade maybe a 5th for Jacob bernard Docker RD 23years old 6-1 190 and is a good skater more of a D first D. he is out of waivers. he is a RD. has played about 25 games in the NHL

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
ottowa is up against the cap and also has roster issues in regard to whom makes the Team. would you trade maybe a 5th for Jacob bernard Docker RD 23years old 6-1 190 and is a good skater more of a D first D. he is out of waivers. he is a RD. has played about 25 games in the NHL
They should probably try and move, or if it comes to it, waive Erik Brannstrom instead who is their Number 6 DMan and makes $2 million followed by being an Arb-eligible RFA (they almost certainly cannot afford to re-sign him) instead of 2 years/$805K for Docker (who is a year younger).

I don't think either Ottawa defenseman is worth pursuing, if Brannstrom got waived I'd be fine if they wanted to make a claim since he has experience playing off-side so he can fill in on RD, but I don't view either as a medium or long-term option. Eventually the Hawks can probably sign a decent 2nd pair type RD in UFA.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He wasn't bad in the other games. He was fine to good. The whole team shit the bed in the finals. But at the end of the day you expect more from him in that situation.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
A lot of KK's game is already in place. His skating and passing are very good. He sees and anticipates plays very well. His stick work breaks up and prevents plays. He knows where to be. He plays under control - low pulse - no deer in headlight moments.

BUT ... as I keep beating this dead horse - he gets overmatched physically sometimes - AND his shot either isn't good enough or he doesn't have confidence in his shot or both.

The question I have is whether it would be better for him to work on those weaknesses with the Hawks or back in the WHL. The getting stronger part may be better with the Hawks and their facilities and training staff. Probably the same with improving his shot. His games could be managed where he doesn't have to play the full slate of games. I think it could come down to his personality - is he the type to power through rough patches or is he the type to turtle when he feels overmatched?

I believe there is a clear answer to the question of where he should get stronger. Those who are overmatched physically coming in, can lose a lot of confidence which is what you don't want. So that's why teams would rather over marinate.

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
Just looking at Cap Friendly. Appears Hawks will have insane amount of space for 23/24 season.
Free agent frenzy?

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Could see them being very selective on long term deals.
the issue is with more and more teams opting to sign young players Long term I just dont know who would be out there that would make sesnse, KD might do a few of those but they will be 2-3 year deal IMO

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
the issue is with more and more teams opting to sign young players Long term I just dont know who would be out there that would make sesnse, KD might do a few of those but they will be 2-3 year deal IMO
Could be another year of overpaying some vets short term. They might strike a long term deal with a good young player and consider him apart of the core.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Just looking at Cap Friendly. Appears Hawks will have insane amount of space for 23/24 season.
Free agent frenzy?
If you look at the actual free agent list, it’s not as good as you might think. Although there are a few I would be quite interested in.

Elias Lindholm, Brett Pesce and Gustav Forsling come to mind. But I have a feeling that much like 2016, a lot of bad contracts are going to be handed out.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Whoever is a UFA in 24-25 will be around 27 years old. Way too old for the timeline of this hockey club. Continue doing what they are doing, sign a legit UFA if the team shows they are on the cusp of greatness ala 2009.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I'd say around 2025 or likely 2026 is the time to strike. Bedard will be on his second contract, and guys like Korchinski, Reichel potentially, etc. will likely be on bridge deals. Alot of those kids will be on their ELCs as well and hopefully be established or close to it by then. Alot of very good players will be available at that time. Some will likely re up by that time, some won't.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
What do we think about Hanifin? Will be 27 next year. Hes 6'3" steady left handed defenseman. A good compliment to Jones while Korchinski breaks in on the 2nd pair with Murphy. He would then slide to second pairing if Korchinski is the guy. We can then use some of the left handed prospects as trade chips or switch them sides.

Hanifin-Jones
Korchinski-Murphy
Del Mastro-Allen

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Could be another year of overpaying some vets short term. They might strike a long term deal with a good young player and consider him apart of the core.
Agree with this.

Quick candidates for 'Hossa clones" if KD did want to add a UFA to the core would include:
Forwards - Stamkos (34), Pettersson (25), Nylander (28), Reinhart (28), Scheifele (31), Guentzel (29), Bertuzzi (29), Teravainen (29), Marchessault (33), E. Lindholm (29), Debrusk (27)
Defense - Toews (30), Hanafin (27), Skjei (30), Pesce (29)

Some of those guys will definitely be resigned, but as of now they're the major UFA's to be (Age in brackets).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
What do we think about Hanifin? Will be 27 next year. Hes 6'3" steady left handed defenseman. A good compliment to Jones while Korchinski breaks in on the 2nd pair with Murphy. He would then slide to second pairing if Korchinski is the guy. We can then use some of the left handed prospects as trade chips or switch them sides.

Hanifin-Jones
Korchinski-Murphy
Del Mastro-Allen
If it doesn't involve a trade, or an overpay in UFA, sure.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Idk about you, and idk if he would have taken a step forward here...but given the roster construction they could use Kirby Dach right now. He'd fit very well on Bedard's RW. But who knows if they'd have gotten Bedard without that trade.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
They have Taylor Hall, and Frank Nazar. No thanks.
Taylor Hall is independent of this. It's about Nazar/Dach and I guess even though Nazar has a higher ceiling at this point, Kirby might be a better fit for roster construction.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The team on paper is absolutely terrible.

Good. It takes an army, and we have the picks to build one.

Tank hard one more year, get a few more studs in the top two rounds, then start eying up teams on the brink of or in the opening throws of a rebuild, package up those picks in exchange for top4 D in the 25-30 range.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Vancouver has cap issues especially it tanner Pearson is not on LTIR for the year which it sounds like he is might not be. there best player Peterson who scored 40 goals and 101 PTs last year. was not aware he was that good. said he is going to hold off on resigning and see how the team progresses. he has a 10.5 QO and is only 1 more season from UFA after this season. with the cap going up and the really high QO he is kind of in the driver seat. So they need to at least make an attempt at the playoffs. I posted this on a Vancouver board. Connor murphy and Tyler Johnson 50% retained for tyler myers, tanner Pearson and a 2024 1st top 12 protected? they get younger better and 2.25 mil cheaper. Our cap is roughly the same.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I still believe with only 12 signed defencemen…
SJones
CMurphy
NZaitsev
JTinordi

FRoos
WKaiser
IPhillips
AVlasic

LCrevier

KKorchinski
EDel Mastro
NAllan

…that at least another NHL experienced dman will be signed, kind of like Tinordi last year when Jake McCabe and Ian Mitchell were unable to start the season…

NHL team experienced dmen still available…

Ethan Bear? He’d be a higher end grab…

Jordie Benn? An experienced vet…

Or again much like Jarred Tinordi, the Hawks grab up a dman fromnipening night waivers, maybe be from TB who have eight!

Reactions: Muffinalt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad