Boston Bruins 2023-2024 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Fwiw, I don't have anything against the player, and he has scored goals. I just think the line would be more effective with a different style of player. I thought Boqvist was going to be that guy but he was very disappointing in camp and from all accounts has been disappointing in Providence.

Not sure I disagree, but you get what you can get when you have 1 million to spend, and he has been incredibly good for that price

Reactions: PlayMakers

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Fwiw, I don't have anything against the player, and he has scored goals. I just think the line would be more effective with a different style of player. I thought Boqvist was going to be that guy but he was very disappointing in camp and from all accounts has been disappointing in Providence.
I think you are spot on ,he has helped out but he looked really slow last night ,and to be honest I want Geekie and Lauko getting a shot at playing up . ........ Everything this season is not perfect maybe from such a heavy roster turnover but I think the young kids although not putting up numbers have looked pretty promising so far and I am glad that they are getting the ice time to prove themselves . Beecher, Poitras, Geekie , Lauko , have been nice to see . I still believe that they should not go for a # 1 center at this time cost to add and what his contract would look like just does not work at this time . I know this cap is a huge problem for this team and to be honest almost ever team in the league but I think a wing and a big nasty d-man would be something that maybe can be addressed at some point this ............

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Not sure I disagree, but you get what you can get when you have 1 million to spend, and he has been incredibly good for that price
He has. It's not meant to be a criticism of JVR... it's just, that 3rd line hasn't been very effective the last 2 games. They were good against SJ (who's terrible) but struggled against LA and Anaheim. They've been outshot 8-17 in those 2 games. That can't continue.

When I watch them play, I see Coyle getting hounded by backcheckers through the NZ. I see them struggling to get their forecheck going because they were slowed down in the NZ.

Like I said, I don't know what the solution is, or what you do with JVR. I don't want to change the Zacha or Poitras lines. I don't see him as a 4th liner either. As you said, JVR has earned his salary 3 times over, but if the 3rd line struggles against good teams...

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He has. It's not meant to be a criticism of JVR... it's just, that 3rd line hasn't been very effective the last 2 games.

Like I said, I don't know what the solution is, or what you do with JVR. I don't want to change the Zacha or Poitras lines. I don't see him as a 4th liner either. As you said, JVR has earned his salary 3 times over, but if the 3rd line struggles against good teams...
Agreed...that may have been the first game where I didn't see an effective 3rd line...the game prior was meh okay.. Before the weekend the 3rd line was was pretty darn aggressive and giving teams fits.

The pp has been futile. I believe JVR was brought in to be a key contributor. Interesting situation because the dude has scored albeit not the most electrifying goals.

Perhaps bring him in dependent on match-up? Try a Steen Topo or Kuntar on the 3rd line? Speedy match ups with JVR on the 3rd line is asking for trouble.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
The one guy I don’t totally love in the top nine is JVR. He’s played his game and been fairly successful but I can’t help but think the Coyle line needs someone more dynamic to transport the puck from the Dzone to the Ozone.

That’s what Hall did, that’s what Mojo did, and without it Coyle keeps getting harassed between the blue lines.

I don’t know who that guy is and I don’t know what we would do with JVR if we got him but I think they need that dynamic presence on the third line for it to work like it’s supposed to.

I agree, he is good on the PP, but 5x5 he is almost a liability.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I agree, he is good on the PP, but 5x5 he is almost a liability.
Bruins have outshot, outchanced, and outscored other teams with JVR on the ice at 5v5 (and he has a positive xG differential if you care about that sort of thing). I don't think he's been great, but he definitely hasn't been a liability.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Bruins have outshot, outchanced, and outscored other teams with JVR on the ice at 5v5 (and he has a positive xG differential if you care about that sort of thing). I don't think he's been great, but he definitely hasn't been a liability.

I will make the argument that his linemates are making him look good. He was practically invisible last night, perhaps it was because of the back to back games. Despite his faults he does have value in his ability to put the puck in the net, but if that drys up, I do think he is a liability in 5×5.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Let me start off by saying JVR has been much better to start than I imagine many could have anticipated.

With that said when you have a 61% offensive zone start then any line in the league should be outshooting, outchancing and outscoring the other team. If they aren’t then you should get rid of that line.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Perhaps bring him in dependent on match-up? Try a Steen Topo or Kuntar on the 3rd line? Speedy match ups with JVR on the 3rd line is asking for trouble.
Yeah, I was trying to think who could be that guy in-house. Topo didn't look ready in camp. Steen and McLaughlin looked like they could play but they aren't really big zone entry guys. Lysell can carry but not ready. Merkulov didn't look ready either. They could send Brown down and try Heinen, but not sure he's that guy either.

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA
Let me start off by saying JVR has been much better to start than I imagine many could have anticipated.

With that said when you have a 61% offensive zone start then any line in the league should be outshooting, outchancing and outscoring the other team. If they aren’t then you should get rid of that line.
That 61% includes his 88.9% PP off. zone starts. His 5-on-5 off. zone starts is 45.7% which coincides with the 5v5 stats dugg133 posted.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
There's really only one forward I'm chasing later this year and its Hertl. I'd take a flyer on Patty Kane if he came cheap.....but Hertl is my main target. He gives you some interesting choices:

Marchy-Hertl-Pasta
Zacha-Poitras-Debrusk

or
Zacha-Hertl-Pasta
Marchy-Poitras-Debrusk

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Gonna need LTIR to chase a forward later in the year I'd think?

I think they're gonna just leave the team as is and glide into this mega offseason. This offseason is the most exciting since Chara/Savard to me. Not necessarily a UFA, it may be weaponizing cap space in a real trade. But that will be their big moment. The anti-2015. Some big decisions on some guys coming too.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
There's really only one forward I'm chasing later this year and its Hertl. I'd take a flyer on Patty Kane if he came cheap.....but Hertl is my main target. He gives you some interesting choices:

Marchy-Hertl-Pasta
Zacha-Poitras-Debrusk

or
Zacha-Hertl-Pasta
Marchy-Poitras-Debrusk

I like Hertl but I'm not sure if it's smart for the Bruins to trade away picks/prospects right now.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Agreed...that may have been the first game where I didn't see an effective 3rd line...the game prior was meh okay.. Before the weekend the 3rd line was was pretty darn aggressive and giving teams fits.

The pp has been futile. I believe JVR was brought in to be a key contributor. Interesting situation because the dude has scored albeit not the most electrifying goals.

No, ,Steens time here is pretty much done and Toporowski and Kuntar will get call ups when there are injuries. JVR goes to the net, I have waited years to see a big body in the slot again banging home rebounds and that is what JVR does. I know he is old, big and slow, three things you can't stand, but he will be productive, has a bit of an edge to his game and between he and Lucic we actually have a net front presence for the first time since Julien left. JVR has been fine.

He will get 20 or 25 goals by the end of the season.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Garland would be great, especially since VAN is reportedly willing to retain 30% of his contract, making him a $3.5m player who averages 50ish points.

But even at $3.5m, they would have to make a significant move to make it work and I can't see them making big changes in the middle of a good start.
If it’s not a retained player with money going out, I believe the value options are Richard or Boquist. Maybe Merk or Lysell. I just don’t see a team giving up a skilled wing on a veteran min contract who can do what you’d like. Alas there are many ways to skin a cat so let’s see if they can pull something together with the line as it is.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I like Hertl but I'm not sure if it's smart for the Bruins to trade away picks/prospects right now.
I have always liked Hertl but I am in agreement with you should wait and not move prospects and picks at this time for thirty something players with big contracts, you have the right player just not the value........

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
JVR has been fine. Give him some time to gel with his new line mates before marking him as the new whipping boy.

Reactions: bbfan419

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

What picks and prospects?

Bruins don't have much of either. Not to mention Cap space.

JVR has been fine. Give him some time to gel with his new line mates before marking him as the new whipping boy.

When your team is 5-0, whipping boys are hard to come by.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
What picks and prospects?

Bruins don't have much of either. Not to mention Cap space.

Exactly. Bruins have limited picks/prospects and I don't think it's wise to spend it on Hertl, as good as he is. I have a hard time seeing a big splash made by the Bruins via trade or free agency in the next year.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Hertl- Bos
Swayman + Gryz + Lysell

I stuck my foot in my mouth earlier, I'd also do this deal for Lindholm if we could negotiate an extension. Hertl/Lindholm give us that franchise #1 Center for the next 4-6 years.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
If we deal for a top 6 forward I’d like them to be very physical or pestering. Getting garland with Lysell and Merkulov being this close doesn’t really do much for this team. Ya he’s better now but I think Lysell will be ready to contribute this year or next year on a good middle six line. We have a ton of fringe undersized middle six wingers.

Topporowski
Steen
Kuntar
Lysell

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If we deal for a top 6 forward I’d like them to be very physical or pestering. Getting garland with Lysell and Merkulov being this close doesn’t really do much for this team. Ya he’s better now but I think Lysell will be ready to contribute this year or next year on a good middle six line. We have a ton of fringe undersized middle six wingers.

Topporowski
Steen
Kuntar
Lysell

Let's hope one of them develop into a middle 6 winger.

By the way, I would not really call Kuntar undersized. He is 6' and over 200 pounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad