Line Combos: 2023-2024 Red Wings

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If CGY is going full scorched earth, could it be worth testing the market for Hanifin and or Tanev to shore up D?
Every time it comes up, the back of my brain gets an inkling to approach Treliving and give him an out from last summer. Do we dare take on Huberdeau and Weegar?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I didn't say it was easy. But that is what we need. You want to be very careful "settling" on too many guys just because they're available.

I don't think 2-4 year deals on vets is going to make or break if a high impact skill player gets into the roster. If room needs to be made, you can make room. If anything, the fact the team isn't absolute donkey poo might inspire them to want to play in Detroit.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
What's the word on what Tarasenko is doing? Staying with NY? He'd be awesome to add but it's probably pie in the sky fantasy.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He’s got as much production with Hagel and Cirelli.

Alex Killorn - Fantasy Hockey Game Logs, Advanced Stats and more - Frozen Tools

The guy is probably a 40-50 point guy in Detroit instead of a 60 point guy but that’s ok. He’s a solid depth add. Can play on any line and contribute.

Kubalik - Larkin - Killorn
Free agent/trade - Kasper - Raymond
Rasmussen - Copp - Perron (they were realgud)
Berggren - Veleno - Fabbri/Soderblom/free agent

If the Wings add Killorn that’s an upgrade on Bertuzzi. Then add one or two of DeBrincat, Tarasenko, ROR, Barbashev. That is a respectable forward group with good depth.

Then it’s onto fixing the defense.
Don't know if Kasper with RW next season, I hope he is, but I'd keep him with Copp. If not with Copp, maybe with Rasmussen.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What's the word on what Tarasenko is doing? Staying with NY? He'd be awesome to add but it's probably pie in the sky fantasy.

Yeah they can't possibly keep him, right?

BTW that Rangers roster is the closest I've seen to a pre-cap team, right? Tarasenko, Kane, and Panarin together as scoring wingers is nutty.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
As much as I want a goal scorer like Connor or Meier or Debrincat, I think I’d prioritize trading for Lindholm at this point. I don’t think we substantially improve offensively until we have 2 functioning scoring lines and Copp isn’t capable of providing that. I like Kasper too but we have to acknowledge that it could be 3 more years before Kasper is capable of being a 2C. We’re gonna be stuck in no man’s land again if we don’t upgrade that spot. We’ll just be spinning our wheels until we address it. Plus it’s rare to get a chance to land a guy like Lindholm. And Lindholm plays the kind of responsible game Yzerman likes. He’s also not unlike Larkin statistically or in the way he plays the game. It would really give us a team identity to have Larkin/Lindholm/Copp then Kasper down the middle.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Raymond-larkin-kubalik
Rasmussen-ccop-perron
Berggren-veleno/kasper-fabbri
Zadina-veleno/kasper-suter/chiasson

Would be lots of opportunity for mazur and soberblom to play their way onto the team. Definitely room to add a big fish on forward, weather a ufa or trade.

Seider-walman
Chiarott-maata
Lindstrom-edvinsson

Could see drw swinging on a right hand d-man, potentially klingberg

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

I don't want him. He has been completely underwhelming on NYR and will cost a lot. I get the impression from him, he is a good player who will get his pts, but isn't necessarily that driven when the games matter.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Raymond-larkin-kubalik
Rasmussen-ccop-perron
Berggren-veleno/kasper-fabbri
Zadina-veleno/kasper-suter/chiasson

Would be lots of opportunity for mazur and soberblom to play their way onto the team. Definitely room to add a big fish on forward, weather a ufa or trade.

Seider-walman
Chiarott-maata
Lindstrom-edvinsson

Could see drw swinging on a right hand d-man, potentially klingberg

This is the same roster as this year, only starting the season without Hronek and Bertuzzi and no replacement for either. Edvinsson to me is going to be more of a work in progress from what I have seen. Tons of skills and will wow you lots, but he isn't like Seider in his consistent level of high play. I think it will be a rookie year for him, which is not running him down. My guess is Soderblom will be up all year, but will be inconsistent like he was this year. I think Zadina is gone at the draft or around there somewhere. Veleno needs to either full commit to being a defensive center or working on improving offensively.

If we aren't making a big move to improve this team, I will be disappointed as right now on paper, we will be worse than this year next year. Another year of stop gap UFA signings and staying patient on more high draft picks is starting to run thin on high hopes for our teams future. Raymond really needs to get going next year, because he was really quite bad for most of this season with so many do nothing nights.

Wasn't enamoured with Husso as the season progressed as he was all over the map with who you got in a given game.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If we aren't making a big move to improve this team, I will be disappointed as right now on paper, we will be worse than this year next year. Another year of stop gap UFA signings and staying patient on more high draft picks is starting to run thin on high hopes for our teams future. Raymond really needs to get going next year, because he was really quite bad for most of this season with so many do nothing nights.
Most of the improvement for this team should be coming internally. The moment we traded Bert and Hronek I think we decided it's all about going where the younger core says we're going.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Every time it comes up, the back of my brain gets an inkling to approach Treliving and give him an out from last summer. Do we dare take on Huberdeau and Weegar?
Plenty of uneasiness in Cow Town:

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
People talk like Killorn is Sam Gagner 2.0, Killorn is a legit top-6 winger in a cup contender team. I guess some people wants to tank for ever. Signing Killorn not only help this team on ice, it also helps getting rid of the losing culture and Ras, Kasper, Mazur, Hanas could learn a lot from Killorn.

Killorn - Larkin - Ray
Kuba - O'Reilly - Perron
Ras - Copp - Bergy
Veleno - Suter - Chiasson
+Fabbri

In the press conference Yzerman repeated the old mantra that Kasper needs to play meaningful minutes, i guess it's safe to presume if there's not a top-6 role open Kasper starts in GR. As for Söderblom i think he has so much potential, so i would start him in GR as well. I think 1st line winger role there will help him better than 4th line role in Detroit. Sky is the limit for Söderblom, he could be anything from the 4th line to the 1st line. Extra year in GR would help his overall game.

GR
Mazur - Kasper - Söderblom
Lombardi - Czarnik - Luff
Hirose - L'Espenrance - Hanas
Spezia - Weatherby - Shine
Tyutyayev - Zito - Doucet
Sawchuk

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
People talk like Killorn is Sam Gagner 2.0, Killorn is a legit top-6 winger in a cup contender team. I guess some people wants to tank for ever. Signing Killorn not only help this team on ice, it also helps getting rid of the losing culture and Ras, Kasper, Mazur, Hanas could learn a lot from Killorn.

Killorn - Larkin - Ray
Kuba - O'Reilly - Perron
Ras - Copp - Bergy
Veleno - Suter - Chiasson
+Fabbri

In the press conference Yzerman repeated the old mantra that Kasper needs to play meaningful minutes, i guess it's safe to presume if there's not a top-6 role open Kasper starts in GR. As for Söderblom i think he has so much potential, so i would start him in GR as well. I think 1st line winger role there will help him better than 4th line role in Detroit. Sky is the limit for Söderblom, he could be anything from the 4th line to the 1st line. Extra year in GR would help his overall game.

GR
Mazur - Kasper - Söderblom
Lombardi - Czarnik - Luff
Hirose - L'Espenrance - Hanas
Spezia - Weatherby - Shine
Tyutyayev - Zito - Doucet
Sawchuk
I think this would rank up there among my nightmare scenarios for the offseason. Absolutely the last thing we want is for 4/6 of our top 6 to be veteran mercenaries.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think this would rank up there among my nightmare scenarios for the offseason. Absolutely the last thing we want is for 4/6 of our top 6 to be veteran mercenaries.

I don't know., If we're signing forwards, at least thee are legit top6 guys. Also, we will have injuries. And they will provide cushion to deal perron/kubalik as the season goes on and still be able to put some vet skill on the ice

I'm not really sure what I want to see next year, not yet anyway. While it would be nice to have some spots ready made for kids to step into, having to legitimately play their way into the lineup isn't the worst thing. And I think a guy like Kaspar, if he's ready, should be able to push a guy like ROR, Perron, and Kubalik down the lineup.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
How come? I want to make in to playoffs next year, this year's team came close but it wasn't ready. By signing those veteran mercenaries gives us depth, injuries will happen next year too. Yzerman was talking about injuries and how it effected the Red Wings and GR as well. By keeping the kids in GR as the first call ups, would leave the "czarnik's" in GR keeping the boat afloat.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

Should we just keep running with Pius Suter and Adam Erne in those spots? Because that’s what has happened a lot lately.

The Wings need 2 top 6 wingers. None of the kids are ready for that yet, so you have to make a trade or get free agents.

Reactions: Bench

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Should we just keep running with Pius Suter and Adam Erne in those spots? Because that’s what has happened a lot lately.

The Wings need 2 top 6 wingers. None of the kids are ready for that yet, so you have to make a trade or get free agents.
Because they haven't learned how to be bottom 6 wingers first. Sometimes you need to drop a young scoring forward on a scoring line when they make the jump. Rather then go through the frustrations of how to "manage your game" into nice bland low event hockey on the bottom half of the roster. How many Velenos and Zadinas do we need to make?

If and when Lombardi makes the jump on to the Wings' 4th line and everyone is confused as to why this former dynamic forward looks so bland, I hope no one blames the kid.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

You, in fact, don't have to. We certainly don't have to acquire 30-35 year olds out of desperation.

Lately we've had injuries to Zadina, Rasmussen, Fabbri, Kasper and Söderblom. Mazur and Lombardi just arrived in GR. Hanas injured too. It's disingenious to say the lineup lately is a perfect representation of our actual depth chart going into next season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As much as I want a goal scorer like Connor or Meier or Debrincat, I think I’d prioritize trading for Lindholm at this point. I don’t think we substantially improve offensively until we have 2 functioning scoring lines and Copp isn’t capable of providing that. I like Kasper too but we have to acknowledge that it could be 3 more years before Kasper is capable of being a 2C. We’re gonna be stuck in no man’s land again if we don’t upgrade that spot. We’ll just be spinning our wheels until we address it. Plus it’s rare to get a chance to land a guy like Lindholm. And Lindholm plays the kind of responsible game Yzerman likes. He’s also not unlike Larkin statistically or in the way he plays the game. It would really give us a team identity to have Larkin/Lindholm/Copp then Kasper down the middle.
Thoughts on Compher?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Thoughts on Compher?
At C? I thought he was a full wing now.

He fits the mold of the team but at wing I think I’d prefer Killorn. I also wouldn’t be opposed to adding Compher and moving Fabbri.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
At C? I thought he was a full wing now.

He fits the mold of the team but at wing I think I’d prefer Killorn. I also wouldn’t be opposed to adding Compher and moving Fabbri.
He was the 2C pretty much all year for Colorado and had a nice year. Won the most faceoffs on the team.

I like him as an option if he hits the market. He’s the right age, RH shot, has familiarity/chemistry with Larkin.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There is literally no way Ottawa is going to trade a 40 goal winger in-division to a team in the same stage of competitive life as them. They're just not going to do it. Nobody would do it. That should shut the conversation down right away.
27-goal winger.

40-goal guy with generational level elite playmaker.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't know if Kasper with RW next season, I hope he is, but I'd keep him with Copp. If not with Copp, maybe with Rasmussen.
Copp and Rasmussen should be together. They started really well, especially with Perron.

They took the hardest assignments against oppositr line, can't see kid Kasper put there. On laters seasons yeah, after Perron is gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad