Line Combos: 2023-2024 Red Wings

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Seems like a perfect fit for Detroit's timeline. Hometown boy, too.

From I understand, let's say Detroit trades for him before July 1st, he can be signed at a lower amount than his 9M qualifying offer, correct? I would think a contract similar to Robert Thomas / Jordan Kyrou is in order.

@Bench @Frk It

As far as the tweet goes, this is exactly what I am talking about...Debrincat was traded for #7 and #50ish at the draft. Whereas Meier was traded for a HAUL (both had reasonably same numbers) at the deadline.

Two very different time periods with wildly different "trading asks"

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@Bench @Frk It

As far as the tweet goes, this is exactly what I am talking about...Debrincat was traded for #7 and #50ish at the draft. Whereas Meier was traded for a HAUL (both had reasonably same numbers) at the deadline.

Two very different time periods with wildly different "trading asks"
“No inclination of signing with Ottawa”

Doesn’t sound like that’s going to be a sign and trade to me.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
“No inclination of signing with Ottawa”

Doesn’t sound like that’s going to be a sign and trade to me.
Tkachuk told Calgary he wasn't going to sign to play for them. That's why they orchestrated the trade. Tkachuk agreed to sign pre-trade to get the 8th year.

I'm confused as to why there is this hang up with the sign and trade. It's a unique situation that really only applies to RFAs with a year left that don't want to sign long term extensions with their current teams. And really only matters because of the 7 vs 8 year rule.

Reactions: Detroit Knights
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
There is literally no way Ottawa is going to trade a 40 goal winger in-division to a team in the same stage of competitive life as them. They're just not going to do it. Nobody would do it. That should shut the conversation down right away.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tkachuk told Calgary he wasn't going to sign to play for them. That's why they orchestrated the trade. Tkachuk agreed to sign pre-trade to get the 8th year.

I'm confused as to why there is this hang up with the sign and trade. It's a unique situation that really only applies to RFAs with a year left that don't want to sign long term extensions with their current teams. And really only matters because of the 7 vs 8 year rule.
Yeah and in that case you brought up it makes sense.

But to go to a new team… and then sign a 8 year deal… and then go somewhere else…. That’s different.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yeah and in that case you brought up it makes sense.

But to go to a new team… and then sign a 8 year deal… and then go somewhere else…. That’s different.
The 8 year deal is with the understanding that they are traded. They wouldn't sign it otherwise. And it's purely to get the 8th year.

And it's not like Timo picked NJ as from my understanding Grier didn't let Claude (same agent as Mo) talk to any teams pre-trade.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The 8 year deal is with the understanding that they are traded. They wouldn't sign it otherwise. And it's purely to get the 8th year.

And it's not like Timo picked NJ as from my understanding Grier didn't let Claude (same agent as Mo) talk to any teams pre-trade.
That’s fair, I guess to your and @Detroit Knights point he could really hold their feet to the fire if he wanted.

But I would guess that would lead to him getting traded at the deadline next year most likely as opposed to this summer. I would guess they would try their best to negotiate with him right up until the point it becomes clear he is not signing.

I don’t know if they could have had an inkling on his willingness to sign prior to getting him via trade, not sure how much tampering goes on with something like that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
There is literally no way Ottawa is going to trade a 40 goal winger in-division to a team in the same stage of competitive life as them. They're just not going to do it. Nobody would do it. That should shut the conversation down right away.

True.

But...

What if DeBrincat is hellbent on going home to Michigan? Unlikely but that's our only hope here.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That’s fair, I guess to your and @Detroit Knights point he could really hold their feet to the fire if he wanted.

But I would guess that would lead to him getting traded at the deadline next year most likely as opposed to this summer. I would guess they would try their best to negotiate with him right up until the point it becomes clear he is not signing.

I don’t know if they could have had an inkling on his willingness to sign prior to getting him via trade, not sure how much tampering goes on with something like that.
The trick there is the qualifying offer. They may not want to deal with the $10M deal if they have other players to pay. That and way more teams are still optimistic in the summer and have the flexibility to absorb a brand new big money player.

True.

But...

What if DeBrincat is hellbent on going home to Michigan? Unlikely but that's our only hope here.
Then he can sign a sweetheart deal next summer.

Reactions: Henkka

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Mbappe - Haaland - Messi
Meier - Larkin - Raymond
Perron - Rasmussen - Berggren
Kubalik - Copp - Lesnar

Edvinsson - Seider
Orlov - Maata
Walman - Mayfield

Osgood
Husso

If we get Brock Lesnar on our fourth line? We'll win the Cup. He can just F-5 guys like Marchand and Tkachuk, itll be great

• Love
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
On a 2nd line centered by Steven Stamkos.

Our 2nd line is centered by [checks notes] Andrew Copp.

The missing piece to a 2nd line that scores is not Killorn. It is Stamkos. And a top line with Point and Kucherov...

So what's the plan just keep running Zadina, Fabbri, Suter, Kubalik?

Someone has to replace Vrana and Bert. There's definitely room in the top 6 even if they aren't the perfect aged goal scorer on a sweetheart deal.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So what's the plan just keep running Zadina, Fabbri, Suter, Kubalik?

Someone has to replace Vrana and Bert. There's definitely room in the top 6 even if they aren't the perfect aged goal scorer on a sweetheart deal.
Skill. Preferably "pure skill" and not "character guy that can produce next to pure skill".

If you listen to Steve from today he very plainly states that adding the necessary offense may not be available to him. Can't conjure talent out of thin air. But filling the roster with support players isn't the way. Some of the young talent may need to be unshackled a bit. Lalonde also stated that some of the extra offense may have to come from schemes and tactics now that a baseline of defense is somewhat there.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
On a 2nd line centered by Steven Stamkos.

Our 2nd line is centered by [checks notes] Andrew Copp.

The missing piece to a 2nd line that scores is not Killorn. It is Stamkos. And a top line with Point and Kucherov...

He’s got as much production with Hagel and Cirelli.

Alex Killorn - Fantasy Hockey Game Logs, Advanced Stats and more - Frozen Tools

The guy is probably a 40-50 point guy in Detroit instead of a 60 point guy but that’s ok. He’s a solid depth add. Can play on any line and contribute.

Kubalik - Larkin - Killorn
Free agent/trade - Kasper - Raymond
Rasmussen - Copp - Perron (they were realgud)
Berggren - Veleno - Fabbri/Soderblom/free agent

If the Wings add Killorn that’s an upgrade on Bertuzzi. Then add one or two of DeBrincat, Tarasenko, ROR, Barbashev. That is a respectable forward group with good depth.

Then it’s onto fixing the defense.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
If CGY is going full scorched earth, could it be worth testing the market for Hanifin and or Tanev to shore up D?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

The guy is probably a 40-50 point guy in Detroit instead of a 60 point guy but that’s ok. He’s a solid depth add. Can play on any line and contribute.

If the Wings add Killorn that’s an upgrade on Bertuzzi. Then add one or two of DeBrincat, Tarasenko, ROR, Barbashev. That is a respectable forward group with good depth.

All of it is predicated on there being a shitload of offense playing ahead of him in the lineup. Dump some 100pt players on the Wings and our guys are slotting way more appropriately and facing matchups they're good enough to compete against.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If that is our top line next year, I’ll punch you in the face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad