Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With back to back games they'll likely have at least two line-ups worth of players. Can't imagine finishing up at 9:30 and playing again the next afternoon.

Friday, September 15th @ 7PM vs. BUF
Saturday, September 16th @ 3:30PM vs. BOS

Actually - I might be wrong. Last year's roster only had 28 players:

Montreal Canadiens 2022 Rookie Camp Roster (Click here to view a PDF version)

Forwards

Owen Beck, Lucas Condotta, Jared Davidson, Pierrick Dubé, Ryan Francis, Cédrick Guindon, Emil Heineman, Riley Kidney, Filip Mesar, Jan Mysak, John Parker-Jones, Joshua Roy, Xavier Simoneau, Juraj Slafkovsky, Brett Stapley

Defensemen

Justin Barron, Santino Centorame, Gianni Fairbrother, Kaiden Guhle, Jordan Harris, Logan Mailloux, Mattias Norlinder, Miguël Tourigny, William Trudeau, Arber Xhekaj

Goaltenders

Antoine Coulombe, Riley Mercer, Joe Vrbetic

I would like to see Slaf in this year's tournament.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I could tell Caufield was going to be a star pretty early. Just his goal scoring in close you always knew he was going to make it. He roofs everything from in close, I swear half of his goals don't even hit the back of the net they are straight top twine.

I think people are starting to sleep on Roy - but I have a similar good feeling about him. I don't think he has the offense Caufield has but I think people need to start seriously considering the possibility that he will be a legit top-6 LW very soon. I want him to start in the AHL, but I expect him to look like he belongs in the NHL during all of these camps.
Yeah Roy’s a bit question mark-y but he’s a heck of a talent. If he was asked to be a saviour I’d be more worried. But it’s pretty low pressure for him.

If his offence translates our top 6 could be in pretty damn good shape. Seeing his latter year highlights where his puck protection was looking pretty special got me pretty damn excited about him. Where his weak skating could be counter balanced by strength along with his skill and smarts.
His commitment to D bodes well too.

I see bust there for sure but plenty of real upside.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With back to back games they'll likely have at least two line-ups worth of players. Can't imagine finishing up at 9:30 and playing again the next afternoon.

Friday, September 15th @ 7PM vs. BUF
Saturday, September 16th @ 3:30PM vs. BOS

Actually - I might be wrong. Last year's roster only had 28 players:

Rookie camp is about that many players. The year before, they had 27.

With it being just being about 5 days, they need to be able to evaluate players. So almost all of them will play 2 of the 3 games. Some might even play all 3.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Small info tidbit, there was a recent mention on DLC blog of kids seeing Suzuki and visiting Habs facilities this week.

The article mentionned that once the kids left the ice they saw a couple of Habs prospects jump on the ice to work on what seemed to be skating exercises with Habs skill coaches.

Players were Xavier Simoneau, William Trudeau, Joshua Roy, Miguel Tourigny & Riley Kidney. I think last year Trudeau & Simoneau spent the summer in MTL training also, nice to see more players doing it (especially Roy).

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
God I hope we only keep a handful to play with the top club at the main camp. The past couple of camps have been a huge joke playing scrubs alongside our top players. More focus on the main team's potential lines and pairings. Get those boys in shape FFS maybe we will incur fewer injuries. :help:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Small info tidbit, there was a recent mention on DLC blog of kids seeing Suzuki and visiting Habs facilities this week.

The article mentionned that once the kids left the ice they saw a couple of Habs prospects jump on the ice to work on what seemed to be skating exercises with Habs skill coaches.

Players were Xavier Simoneau, William Trudeau, Joshua Roy, Miguel Tourigny & Riley Kidney. I think last year Trudeau & Simoneau spent the summer in MTL training also, nice to see more players doing it (especially Roy).

Kidney had mentioned he planned on spending the entire summer in Montreal to train at their facilities.

This is something we didn't see a lot of before.. more and more of these kids are coming and taking advantage of the ice and our development staff.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Agreed, in his TSN690 interview yesterday Guhle said he decided early in the year to spend the summer in MTL.

He said it was a no brainer for him in order to have access to the medical staff and that he was really enjoying the town in the summer. Training in the morning and hanging around in the afternoon (with Suzuki, etc).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Agreed, in his TSN690 interview yesterday Guhle said he decided early in the year to spend the summer in MTL.

He said it was a no brainer for him in order to have access to the medical staff and that he was really enjoying the town in the summer. Training in the morning and hanging around in the afternoon (with Suzuki, etc).

It's what I like about a bunch of the young guys they have now, they either choose to spend all of their summer here or spent a good chunk of it here.

Reactions: Sagikev and jrom

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019

Montreal is wonderful in the summer, especially late may to mid-July. Dreadful in the second half of winter and the beginning of spring though...

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Montreal in the summer is as good as any city in the world I would say. Although, I haven't been everywhere.

I can see why the youngins want to spend the off-season here.
i have been around the world and can tell you Montreal is an amazing city to live in very europeen like and some of the best restaurants,bars and woman ive seen

For Habs players its gets even better those guys are superstars here so they get all the attention and privileges in the city even a 4th liner Like Pezetta will feel like a star here in MTL

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
@Adam Michaels Do you expect Engstrom to be part of the Habs training camp? I know his SHL season starts early and that he is expected to play a big role this year in Rogle...

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
i have been around the world and can tell you Montreal is an amazing city to live in very europeen like and some of the best restaurants,bars and woman ive seen

For Habs players its gets even better those guys are superstars here so they get all the attention and privileges in the city even a 4th liner Like Pezetta will feel like a star here in MTL

I'm not super well travelled but Montreal is easily the most laid back big city I've ever been to. As a maritimer, it feels like home no one seems pressed like they do in Toronto, NY etc...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
@Adam Michaels Do you expect Engstrom to be part of the Habs training camp? I know his SHL season starts early and that he is expected to play a big role this year in Rogle...
hopefully not, his season starts right when the main camp starts so it would be dumb.

Anyone with a pair of big nuts going to be in this camp, or just a pile of creampuffs from the Q? Need more Arbs on this team

Struble and the young Xhekaj.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Yeah Roy’s a bit question mark-y but he’s a heck of a talent. If he was asked to be a saviour I’d be more worried. But it’s pretty low pressure for him.

If his offence translates our top 6 could be in pretty damn good shape. Seeing his latter year highlights where his puck protection was looking pretty special got me pretty damn excited about him. Where his weak skating could be counter balanced by strength along with his skill and smarts.
His commitment to D bodes well too.

I see bust there for sure but plenty of real upside.
His puck protection skills and improved defensive awareness lead me to think he could legitimately be a good option for the Suzuki - Caufield tandem as a RW.

Caufield seems to have convincingly moved to his offside to maximize exploiting his shot and Roy has made a Junior career of playing on his off side as a RW.

Digging pucks down low would give him a good passing angle for a Caufield one-timer coming up from behind the opposing net. Roy's good shot could also cause some hesitation for opposing Ds when covering Caufield and give him that extra second to snipe one in...

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Anyone with a pair of big nuts going to be in this camp, or just a pile of creampuffs from the Q? Need more Arbs on this team

We are getting our asses hemmed in by all the goons in the Atlantic, I wonder if Jake Evans is going to be alive past november.

• Haha
Reactions: Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad