Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Coyotes Prospect General Discussion and Stats Weekly Update

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don’t think we have really prioritized Russian players. I think that’s a reach. We took 2x6’5” players who are very highly thought of by people who have watched them.
Were they not both a reach by most people?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Clearly size was a factor in drafting the 2 Russians. But I think we can be confident - based on results so far - size was not a determining factor. More like, between these 2 talents, we rank the skills the same, 1 is 6'5. Let's go with the big skilled guy.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I don’t think we have really prioritized Russian players. I think that’s a reach. We took 2x6’5” players who are very highly thought of by people who have watched them.
Since BA took over we have spent a 2nd or a 1st on a Russian and drafted four in the top two rounds in three drafts.

We have a lot of faith in our Russian scout. Maybe we are more ready to roll the dice because of the sheer amount of picks we have, but we clearly gravitate to them.

Reactions: Summer Rose

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Since BA took over we have spent a 2nd or a 1st on a Russian and drafted four in the top two rounds in three drafts.

We have a lot of faith in our Russian scout. Maybe we are more ready to roll the dice because of the sheer amount of picks we have, but we clearly gravitate to them.
4/12 picks in top 2 rounds under BA have been Russian. 2 have been American. 1 Czeck. 3 Canadians. 1 swiss. 1 German. It just feels inflated because of the sheer volume of picks we have had.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
4/12 picks in top 2 rounds under BA have been Russian. 2 have been American. 1 Czeck. 3 Canadians. 1 swiss. 1 German. It just feels inflated because of the sheer volume of picks we have had.
I mean I think that illustrates my point. I'm also not saying it's a negative thing. I just think we are putting a lot of trust into that scout and I hope it pays off. If we had drafted 6 Americans and 1 Russian and the rest equal I would have said we put a lot of faith in our US scout.

I also think But+Simashev was done slightly intentionally to help get both over without issue, so it does lean that a bit.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I mean I think that illustrates my point. I'm also not saying it's a negative thing. I just think we are putting a lot of trust into that scout and I hope it pays off. If we had drafted 6 Americans and 1 Russian and the rest equal I would have said we put a lot of faith in our US scout.

I also think But+Simashev was done slightly intentionally to help get both over without issue, so it does lean that a bit.
It works out to 1 russian plaer per draft. And even if u ignore the first draft it was 1 team last year. Really we just spread the picks around when you look at it. Nobody screaming we took too many WHL guys last year.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It works out to 1 russian plaer per draft. And even if u ignore the first draft it was 1 team last year. Really we just spread the picks around when you look at it. Nobody screaming we took too many WHL guys last year.
There have been 28 Russian/Belarusian picks in the top 100 picks of the last three drafts combined. The Coyotes have drafted 5 of them. Given that there are 32 teams in the NHL, the Coyotes represent a tremendously higher selection rate than the average. They’ve been the most Russian/Belarusian heavy team in the top 100 over the last three years and about 6x more likely to draft a Russian/Belarusian kid than you’d expect just based on math.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There have been 28 Russian/Belarusian picks in the top 100 picks of the last three drafts combined. The Coyotes have drafted 5 of them. Given that there are 32 teams in the NHL, the Coyotes represent a tremendously higher selection rate than the average. They’ve been the most Russian/Belarusian heavy team in the top 100 over the last three years and about 6x more likely to draft a Russian/Belarusian kid than you’d expect just based on math.
Yes. Some teams are scared of drafting Russians and we have a shitload of extra picks to take fliers on.

Reactions: rt

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
you dont take fliers on 2 top 12 picks though.
So we have an issue with the guy who scouts Loko? The fliers are using one of 4 third rounders or one of 3 second rounders on a russian with high skill. Similar to when the Canucks drafted Bure and the Red Wings drafted Federov when everyone was avoiding Russians like the plague.

5 of 31 picks in last 3 drafts were Russian. Duda was the 4th player we drafted and second D. So really this is all about us taking 2x6’5” Russian prospects in the top 12. This wasn’t done in isolation. This was a entire scouting department decision. They all flew over to Kazakstan for a reason. Did they galaxy brain it? Maybe. We will see.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So we have an issue with the guy who scouts Loko? The fliers are using one of 4 third rounders or one of 3 second rounders on a russian with high skill. Similar to when the Canucks drafted Bure and the Red Wings drafted Federov when everyone was avoiding Russians like the plague.

5 of 31 picks in last 3 drafts were Russian. Duda was the 4th player we drafted and second D. So really this is all about us taking 2x6’5” Russian prospects in the top 12. This wasn’t done in isolation. This was a entire scouting department decision. They all flew over to Kazakstan for a reason. Did they galaxy brain it? Maybe. We will see.
I poorly worded that.

The two 1st round picks on Russians were not fliers. Right or wrong, our scouts picked their guys.

Maveric Lamoureux was a 1st round flier.

Reactions: Jakey53

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I poorly worded that.

The two 1st round picks on Russians were not fliers. Right or wrong, our scouts picked their guys.

Maveric Lamoureux was a 1st round flier.
There was a report/tweet when we selected Lameroux that there was some papers flying and expressions of unhappiness from the Habs table. I ys wanted to find out more if that is true and why.

But yes we have taken a bunch of fliers on overage and ncaa players as well. Givem the picks we have not run away from project players. I. Fact, we have embraced long-term potential.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There was a report/tweet when we selected Lameroux that there was some papers flying and expressions of unhappiness from the Habs table. I ys wanted to find out more if that is true and why.

But yes we have taken a bunch of fliers on overage and ncaa players as well. Givem the picks we have not run away from project players. I. Fact, we have embraced long-term potential.
I believe he was talking about Russians.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Nice seeing Geekie and Maverick at the top of the list. We might look back on the 2022 draft as the best ever.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Is Duda going to play this year? Or is he just hanging out
The earliest that I've been told he will be eligible to play is around American Thanksgiving. I haven't heard anything different from my source. @lanky just saw your note, he's been practicing with the UMaine team all year. I believe they are still waiting on the final confirmation from the NCAA to clear him.

Reactions: MIGs Dog and lanky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad