Prospect Info: [2023 - 144th] Yevgeni Volokhin (MHL - Mamonty Yugry)

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Reminds me a lot of Vasilevsky. Very similar style and technique. He moves very well in the crease, challenges shooters well, and has good size. very athletic. My favorite aspect of his game is he doesn't ever play deep in his net, as he's always challenging shooters, and is athletic and agile enough to recover laterally to cover a pass. This is a rare attribute that separates #1 goaltenders from part time starters.

Perhaps a controversial opinion, but I like his NHL potential more than Fowler. Not saying Folwer will bust, I like his game a lot. He's a good goaltender. However, It's not often I put my money on a relatively "unknown" like Volokhin, but from what I've seen, I'm putting my money on the Russian kid. His game checks a lot of NHL starter boxes, and I think it's only a matter of experience and refinement.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Reminds me a lot of Vasilevsky. Very similar style and technique. He moves very well in the crease, challenges shooters well, and has good size. very athletic. My favorite aspect of his game is he doesn't ever play deep in his net, as he's always challenging shooters, and is athletic and agile enough to recover laterally to cover a pass. This is a rare attribute that separates #1 goaltenders from part time starters.

Perhaps a controversial opinion, but I like his NHL potential more than Fowler. Not saying Folwer will bust, I like his game a lot. He's a good goaltender. However, It's not often I put my money on a relatively "unknown" like Volokhin, but from what I've seen, I'm putting my money on the Russian kid. His game checks a lot of NHL starter boxes, and I think it's only a matter of experience and refinement.

Volokhin and even Dobes have the highest upside of any of our goalie prospect simply because frame + athleticism is higher than the rest.

Fowler still has high upside and a very high floor, as well.

Fowler remains our best goalie prospect because of the whole toolkit but I wouldn't put it passed Volokhin to be the best of them all in the end. Very intriguing goalie prospect.

Can't bet against Russia for goalie development, either.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Volokhin and even Dobes have the highest upside of any of our goalie prospect simply because frame + athleticism is higher than the rest.

Fowler still has high upside and a very high floor, as well.

Fowler remains our best goalie prospect because of the whole toolkit but I wouldn't put it passed Volokhin to be the best of them all in the end. Very intriguing goalie prospect.

Can't bet against Russia for goalie development, either.

Well said! Wasn't trying to downplay Fowler at all. I like his game a lot. Very solid goaltender with many above average attributes. Wouldn't be surprised to see him flourish into an excellent #1 goaltender. On paper he is our best goaltending prospect, I agree.

Volokhin is a different beast. Not as refined as Folwer, but as you said has a higher upside if the development takes place.

We have many interesting goaltending prospects and I'm exciting to see how it plays out.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well said! Wasn't trying to downplay Fowler at all. I like his game a lot. Very solid goaltender with many above average attributes. Wouldn't be surprised to see him flourish into an excellent #1 goaltender. On paper he is our best goaltending prospect, I agree.

Volokhin is a different beast. Not as refined as Folwer, but as you said has a higher upside if the development takes place.

We have many interesting goaltending prospects and I'm exciting to see how it plays out.

As a goalie myself, this is a very exciting time as I have a lot of time for Dobes, Fowler, Miller and Volokhin.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Never seen him play but in his draft year Volokhin had a better save percentage in MHL than Sorokin. A top goalie in league

Reactions: NobleSix and 26Mats

Don D

Oct 15, 2017
Honestly I have the most faith in Volokhin just because he's an unknown Russian goalie
He has good potential but is very raw. Good to have in the Habs prospect pool. Still a longshot today, but one can never tell!

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Volokhin wins 4-1. He’s playing on easy mode. I’m suspicious he may have threatened to leave the team for NA hence why he isn’t getting a chance at better competition. I understand the pipeline is packed with goaltender talent for the team he plays for but it’s still so surprising they haven’t given him harder competition
Do we know what his contract is?

If he has no contract for next season, he's coming to NA 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: skidcells

Bomatane

Oct 10, 2019
No idea. Good point though. Someone on here might know
Position: G
Height: 6-3
Weight: 168
Shoots: Left
Birthdate: 2005-04-06 Age: 18
Birthplace: Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia
Drafted in the 5th round (144th overall) in 2023
Contract (must be signed before June 1st, 2027)
Ugra Khanty-Mansiysk - VHL contract

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Position: G
Height: 6-3
Weight: 168
Shoots: Left
Birthdate: 2005-04-06 Age: 18
Birthplace: Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia
Drafted in the 5th round (144th overall) in 2023
Contract (must be signed before June 1st, 2027)
Ugra Khanty-Mansiysk - VHL contract
That's not his current VHL contract situation is.

I went back into his thread and he's apparently under contract in the VHL for next season.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's under contract in Russia for next season, so for now he has 1 more year but we'll see if he re-signs or not.

He shouldn't unless they give him VHL or KHL time.

That being said I wouldn't mind him signing for another 3 years. Similar to Sorokin and Shesterkin.

Reactions: montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He shouldn't unless they give him VHL or KHL time.

That being said I wouldn't mind him signing for another 3 years. Similar to Sorokin and Shesterkin.
Goalies take so long to develop, might as well come over on the later, more mature side.

Reactions: montreal

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not prospect watching but just seeing the excitement here about the goalies, I'm reminded of the late 90s when the Habs had all of the following in their pipeline at the same time.

Thibault
Theodore
Vokoun
Garon

Thibault was already in the nhl but still very young at the time.

If there's one thing this organization seems to be consistent about, it's finding goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad