Prospect Info: [2023 - 144th] Yevgeni Volokhin (MHL - Mamonty Yugry)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
In the complete game I found, he's playing against a team that has Ivan Miroschnichenko...Caps 1st rounder last year. Stopped him a couple of times too.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I think it is pretty obvious that Habs braintrust don't think that there are any decent skaters at the back end of the draft. I am ok with just throwing darts at goaltenders as they are nearly impossible to accurately scout anyways. This is the most gag inducing group that the Habs have drafted in recent memory. It is basically just Reinbacher, who should be a good player but we may very well have nothing else here.

If Newhook blossoms I will be ok with all of this but there seem to be a lot of flippant throw away picks and it just feels like amateur hour.
Feels like they didn't even pay the scouts this year. I strongly believe they just trolled the fans and picked the players they felt would piss off the fans the most. They all partied after with Bergevin, all got plastered, turned on HF boards and began laughing their asses off reading how pissed we were.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
In the complete game I found, he's playing against a team that has Ivan Miroschnichenko...Caps 1st rounder last year. Stopped him a couple of times too.

Habs' 5th round pick stopping Caps' 1st round pick.

Meanwhile, Habs' 4th round pick Konyushkov had as many pts in the KHL as a 20-year old as Devils' 1st round pick Mukhamadulin (that they sent to Sharks for Meier).

Habs late round picks going toe-to-toe with other teams' 1st round picks. Aww yeaa!!!

:nod:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Feels like they didn't even pay the scouts this year. I strongly believe they just trolled the fans and picked the players they felt would piss off the fans the most. They all partied after with Bergevin, all got plastered, turned on HF boards and began laughing their asses off reading how pissed we were.

But honestly......do you?

That is not a healthy demonstration of critical thinking if true.

Reactions: Andrei79

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Ive been watching some of his MHL games and while not overly tested, still looked really good and composed out there. Seems pretty strong technically, compact in net, very quick, agile, challenges the shooters, nice gloves work, tracks the puck well...

Russia produced a couple of elite goaltenders in the last 10 yrs, Vasilevsky, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Bobrovsky ect.

Volokhin was the 2nd Russian goaltender picked in this draft, we likely wont see him coming over soon, but thats a really nice gamble at that point of the draft IMO. Kid is listed 6'3 168 lbs on eliteprospects.

Here are some of the games I found for those interested, wears # 88 dark green jersey.

Jul 6, 2016
Something bugs me a little, Hughes said their decision concerning Michkov was in part based on the fact they couldn't seen him play cause he was in Russia... then we draft Kolyushkov and Volokhin...

Oh well, like for every players, I'll still hope for the best.
We all know they did not draft Michkov for that obscure reaon. They hated his overall prima donna attitude.

Reactions: DailyKaizen

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Gives me Monty vibes with overcommitting. Monty had improved with that and now look at him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We all know they did not draft Michkov for that obscure reaon. They hated his overall prima donna attitude.

Seeing a talent like Lane Hutson at development camp and watching highlights of Caufield and Suzuki from last year, I would have liked to have taken a chance on Michkov. Do we need another high talent player without size? Maybe not. Might the attitude have been a problem? Maybe so. But I would have liked to have taken then chance. Would have loved to have seen Hutson and Michkov making plays together, along with Caufield, Suzuki and Dach.

I'm not saying use every pick for that type of player. But when one falls into your lap who is potentially generational or close to it, take that one.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
I'd like to see Volokhin play at the VHL level. There might be something special there but until he faces better shooters, it's guess work
Makes me think of the draft and another area where the Flyers and Habs strategies collide.

Montreal goes with Fowler at #69, Philly takes Volkhin's teammate Yegor Zavragin later in the 3rd round at #87. Habs have 4 more picks (including Quentin Miller) before taking Volokhin at #144 in the 5th round. Both of these young Russian goaltenders will be competing for the same minutes and promotion to the VHL and KHL levels against one another for the forseeable future. Should be fun to watch how this turns out...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd like to see Volokhin play at the VHL level. There might be something special there but until he faces better shooters, it's guess work

with the flyers goalie prospect in front of him in the VHL, it might be better for him to just get a ton of time now instead of sitting outside of any injuries to the KHL/VHL goalies.

With the way Russia is producing some of the best goalies in the world, I'm excited to see what this kid can do since his numbers are sick and he's got the size.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
with the flyers goalie prospect in front of him in the VHL, it might be better for him to just get a ton of time now instead of sitting outside of any injuries to the KHL/VHL goalies.

With the way Russia is producing some of the best goalies in the world, I'm excited to see what this kid can do since his numbers are sick and he's got the size.

I don't want him sitting in the VHL.. just am curious to see him actually start a few games at that level and see how he handles that. The MHL is too easy for him right now but he has everything you want to see in a goalie prospect right now and is coming from the best nation in the world at developing them right now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't want him sitting in the VHL.. just am curious to see him actually start a few games at that level and see how he handles that. The MHL is too easy for him right now but he has everything you want to see in a goalie prospect right now and is coming from the best nation in the world at developing them right now.

yea I didn't think you or anyone would want him to sit, but that's the reality of developing prospects in Russia. So for me at least he's playing a ton for now as you would have to worry if he got called up to either VHL or KHL that he would sit like he did last time he got called up to the VHL which I assume was done because the flyers prospect was sitting too much.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
yea I didn't think you or anyone would want him to sit, but that's the reality of developing prospects in Russia. So for me at least he's playing a ton for now as you would have to worry if he got called up to either VHL or KHL that he would sit like he did last time he got called up to the VHL which I assume was done because the flyers prospect was sitting too much.

I think you're right. I wonder if he would have been on their radar for Team Russia wjc. Guess we'll never know

Reactions: montreal

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Do we know what his contractual situation is in Russia?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad