Prospect Info: [2023 - 144th] Yevgeni Volokhin (MHL - Mamonty Yugry)

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I mean using a top 5 pick on someone you haven't seen in 2 years live is very different than drafting someone after 100 using just video floor recent years.

I just think it's weak as reasoning goes for Hughes.

It's not like he would get a talentless goon all of a sudden.

Anyway, just thought it was funny, Volokhin sure has great stats and has NHL size.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think it is pretty obvious that Habs braintrust don't think that there are any decent skaters at the back end of the draft. I am ok with just throwing darts at goaltenders as they are nearly impossible to accurately scout anyways. This is the most gag inducing group that the Habs have drafted in recent memory. It is basically just Reinbacher, who should be a good player but we may very well have nothing else here.

If Newhook blossoms I will be ok with all of this but there seem to be a lot of flippant throw away picks and it just feels like amateur hour.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
If you are going to take a goalie out of anywhere right now, it is Russia or the USA.

The stats look good, I really don't have anything on him.

Let's see what footage we can find.
Lots of great russian goalies lately. I read a bit about russian development for goalies and they seem to be ahead of the rest of the world at the moment. Happy with this pick. Don't have a problem with throwing darts late in the draft since it's unlikely to get a good forward since those are way easier to project.

This management does seem to have kind of a galaxy brain team building plan but I'll refrain from judging hastily since it makes some sense overall.

Also this kid is from a small town in northern Russia so gotta root for him.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Anybody knows what his contract situation is like? When could he come over?

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
I think it is pretty obvious that Habs braintrust don't think that there are any decent skaters at the back end of the draft. I am ok with just throwing darts at goaltenders as they are nearly impossible to accurately scout anyways. This is the most gag inducing group that the Habs have drafted in recent memory. It is basically just Reinbacher, who should be a good player but we may very well have nothing else here.

If Newhook blossoms I will be ok with all of this but there seem to be a lot of flippant throw away picks and it just feels like amateur hour.

Clearly, they didn’t feel this draft was that deep in terms of skater as it went to later rounds. Might have been different if they had kept their two other picks.

I was surprised to see a third goalie selected and honestly it’s hard to hate on any of them individually.

There’s some nice stats and consistency across the board, which is pretty impressive. Many goalies fail to hit acceptable save percentages and good goal average over multiple years, which doesn’t seem like a problem to him. Add his physical frame and you have good mix here. We’ll see if he’s more on the technical side of things or if it’s athleticism.

Picking three goalies from different leagues also give them some time to evaluate them.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Clearly, they didn’t feel this draft was that deep in terms of skater as it went to later rounds. Might have been different if they had kept their two other picks.

I was surprised to see a third goalie selected and honestly it’s hard to hate on any of them individually.

There’s some nice stats and consistency across the board, which is pretty impressive. Many goalies fail to hit acceptable save percentages and good goal average over multiple years, which doesn’t seem like a problem to him. Add his physical frame and you have good mix here. We’ll see if he’s more on the technical side of things or if it’s athleticism.

Picking three goalies from different leagues also give them some time to evaluate them.

Agreed, I absolutely hate taking goalies early as it is just a dumb draft strategy so throwing darts at the middle/end of the draft is often as successful as taking one higher "ranked" goaltender early. A much higher percentage of starting goaltenders come from mid/late picks than the percentage of skaters that are mined from these spots so why not throw caution to the wind when scouting goalies is such an egregiously inaccurate exercise anyways.

My issue isn't with the late goalies as much as it is with drafting for such limited upside with most of the picks. We quite literally have 1 player from this draft who can legitimately be expected to play in the NHL. The goalies are all blind dice rolls and none of the skaters appear to be much better than a long shot to make any sort of impact in the NHL.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
All 3 goalies they took seem to have good stats at every level they played in. So at least we can feel good about that.

The crazy thing with goalies is all 3 have the potential to be the best goaltender in the draft in 7 - 8 years from now. That is just the way it is with goaltenders as nobody can accurately scout/project them other than the very rare generational talents.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Goalie in White. No88. Best moments.

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
All 3 goalies selected by Habs have a great stats. It's encouraging. We never know with goalies, they only need a great development. They all intrigue me and Habs have Jakub Dobes aswell!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad