GDT: 2022 World Juniors Championship Part Deux

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Hughes was the USA's best player in several of the games and it isn't a coincidence that they fell apart once he was hurt. This was a good experience for him and hopefully he didn't have a significant injury. He will be back in December to get his revenge presumably. A silver lining is Hauser showing something in a big spot. Maybe there is a player there.
Spot on. He'll be back in December with a better team around him. He'll also have some games played with Michigan in the fall, so no rust coming in. Should be real interesting.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I thought he played great against Sweden.

Oh I forgot all about Sweden. I was talking about the game before that. Was it Latvia? I forget, but it looked like he was just cruising that game. Certainly makes sense if he was injured.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Oh I forgot all about Sweden. I was talking about the game before that. Was it Latvia? I forget, but it looked like he was just cruising that game. Certainly makes sense if he was injured.

Nah it definitely happened last night. There was a clear and noticeable issue. He was taking it easy in that game. He struggled to move in this one.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Way the bracket played out we can't even get a Sweden-Finland final either
But we still get to see Finland Sweden play in the semis? Then prob Canada vs winner in the finals. Sure the semis wouldof been more exciting with US in, but Canada's been the best team not sure why we wouldn't want to watch em in the finals.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Fantilli should make something criminal to be picked in second round)

Not if it’s the Devils 2nd round pick.

C3A1A969-4F29-4D06-8187-17CE5310B784.gif

(Yes, I’m pretending the Devils picking in the 2nd round is a thing that happens.)

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Any chance that Hughes would be Captain in the December tournament or perhaps they would keep it how it is now?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Even with goal, guy should walk through the long path. Anyway we saw enough from the guy to be patient enough with his late round pick. When I saw how big rangy guy supports talent core in successful teams, I want to root for our Czech lgiant even more.
The issue with a guy like Hauser is he needs coaching and mentorship. As you say he has a long road of development ahead of him and it won’t always be easy. I just hope his next team invests in him beyond the team’s narrow self interest. For example if he hurts himself in the first seven minutes of a game I hope the coach is smart enough to shut him down for tht night rather than expose him to worse injury to win one more game in a tournament that nobody but the parents friends and hardcore fans care about.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
The issue with a guy like Hauser is he needs coaching and mentorship. As you say he has a long road of development ahead of him and it won’t always be easy. I just hope his next team invests in him beyond the team’s narrow self interest. For example if he hurts himself in the first seven minutes of a game I hope the coach is smart enough to shut him down for tht night rather than expose him to worse injury to win one more game in a tournament that nobody but the parents friends and hardcore fans care about.
At first I thought you were trying to describe some special example. But in the process of reading, I realized that this is a completely ordinary, unrelated hypothetical case that can happen to any young player.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hughes was the USA's best player in several of the games and it isn't a coincidence that they fell apart once he was hurt. This was a good experience for him and hopefully he didn't have a significant injury. He will be back in December to get his revenge presumably. A silver lining is Hauser showing something in a big spot. Maybe there is a player there.

Yeah from a Team USA perspective this sucked ass with the team unable to step up when he got hurt.

From a Luke perspective, assuming his injury isn't anything serious, I think it was a good tournament for him.

He showcased his offensive and play driving upside, but also showed progress in his defensive game. Teams were not generating offensive when his pair was on the ice.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Yeah from a Team USA perspective this sucked ass with the team unable to step up when he got hurt.

From a Luke perspective, assuming his injury isn't anything serious, I think it was a good tournament for him.

He showcased his offensive and play driving upside, but also showed progress in his defensive game. Teams were not generating offensive when his pair was on the ice.
I'm 99% sure it's nothing. He seemed to get more and more comfortable as the game went on.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
At first I thought you were trying to describe some special example. But in the process of reading, I realized that this is a completely ordinary, unrelated hypothetical case that can happen to any young player.
that may be the single most coherent native English speaking post I've read from you. Excellent grammar and diction. Totally serious, this is just about English as a first language writing. As always, your participation here is a treat.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
that may be the single most coherent native English speaking post I've read from you. Excellent grammar and diction. Totally serious, this is just about English as a first language writing. As always, your participation here is a treat.
When I'm at home, I try harder, when I'm on the road - sorry, I can`t. It depends on concentration. Sometimes I just can't remember specific words and I have to simplify to the max. And, most importantly, when I try to joke, I try hard to be careful. It is important to choose specific tone, otherwise the joke will not work.

My3Sons

Sponsor
When I'm at home, I try harder, when I'm on the road - sorry, I can`t. It depends on concentration. Sometimes I just can't remember specific words and I have to simplify to the max. And, most importantly, when I try to joke, I try hard to be careful. It is important to choose specific tone, otherwise the joke will not work.
You do a great job and I can almost always see the dry slightly sarcastic humor. Sometimes your non-native word choices are the best part, like when you defaulted to "word pack" to describe someone's vocabulary. I loved that. At some point, we will get @StevenToddIves to start that podcast and you will have to appear on it to discuss prospects. I'll subscribe and listen.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You do a great job and I can almost always see the dry slightly sarcastic humor. Sometimes your non-native word choices are the best part, like when you defaulted to "word pack" to describe someone's vocabulary. I loved that. At some point, we will get @StevenToddIves to start that podcast and you will have to appear on it to discuss prospects. I'll subscribe and listen.
In general, I hope Steve will still make his podcast or a simple YouTube channel. It's easier and more productive to popularize content this way. Of course, in total with the text work.
Future draft is very popular and hot topic. Steve is good in finding dimonds in the rough, and it easier to popularize it, when he have likable content about click bait guys.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
In general, I hope Steve will still make his podcast or a simple YouTube channel. It's easier and more productive to popularize content this way. Of course, in total with the text work.
Future draft is very popular and hot topic. Steve is good in finding dimonds in the rough, and it easier to popularize it, when he have likable content about click bait guys.
I think you nailed it here. You get a gajillion clicks for saying controversial crap about the big names for the draft, but you don't really get a lot of clicks for doing what I do, which I'd describe as "general optimism at the top of the draft and a lot of writing about sleepers".

I remember when I was working at the hockey writers I wrote an article about Ethan Bear and other draft sleepers. It had fewer hits than any of my draft content that year. The average hockey fan does not want to read about names he's never heard -- it makes him feel "dumb" or whatever. But I guarantee you if -- like a lot of the idiots out there -- I wrote articles saying Juraj Slafkovsky wasn't a top ten prospect or something ridiculous, I'd get a ton of hits. So many of the rankings out there are ridiculous, they're like cries for attention.

Trust me, it's a matter of time before we start reading articles saying Conor Bedard or Matvey Michkov are overrated. And none of it will have anything to do with Bedard or Michkov -- it will just be people who want to get a lot of attention on social media.

Anyway, I haven't decided if I'm sticking with the draft writing for one more year or not, but if I do I'm up to work with you guys on whatever you would have in mind.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
Jiricek is just so slow man. I could be wrong, but I don’t see him being anything special in the NHL. Not with that skating

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Speaking of Jiricek how long does it take for a person to recover from an injury such as his? I know his skating wasn't the highlight of his scouting reports but this seems a little bit more.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Coach Pennanen is trying to mastermind his gameplan by changing the goalie in a semi final game.

Fun fact, we couldve had Joel Blomqvist who was .940 last year in Liiga but Pennanen dropped him cause he went to Pittsburgh AHL camp at some point instead of some practice tournament. Galaxy brain.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I could've seen Karlsson hang on to the "generational" tag if he'd been more consistent. Instead he had a few truly historic seasons, but flamed out quickly. Though that likely had a lot to do with injuries and being on less than stellar teams. Ovechkin's 36 and still one of the best goal scorers in the league. Crosby's 35 and still plays near a hundred point pace every year. Karlsson is 32 and everyone's mostly like "yeah he used to be real good."
having your Achilles ripped open by a skate blade can put a damper on things like that

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think you nailed it here. You get a gajillion clicks for saying controversial crap about the big names for the draft, but you don't really get a lot of clicks for doing what I do, which I'd describe as "general optimism at the top of the draft and a lot of writing about sleepers".

I remember when I was working at the hockey writers I wrote an article about Ethan Bear and other draft sleepers. It had fewer hits than any of my draft content that year. The average hockey fan does not want to read about names he's never heard -- it makes him feel "dumb" or whatever. But I guarantee you if -- like a lot of the idiots out there -- I wrote articles saying Juraj Slafkovsky wasn't a top ten prospect or something ridiculous, I'd get a ton of hits. So many of the rankings out there are ridiculous, they're like cries for attention.

Trust me, it's a matter of time before we start reading articles saying Conor Bedard or Matvey Michkov are overrated. And none of it will have anything to do with Bedard or Michkov -- it will just be people who want to get a lot of attention on social media.

Anyway, I haven't decided if I'm sticking with the draft writing for one more year or not, but if I do I'm up to work with you guys on whatever you would have in mind.
Pre draft entertainment will lose 75% of fun if you will end your scouting job. But life should be the first overall every year on every draft.

I have plans to watch Russian players closely. May be I will find more time for other guys. But I have a feeling, that without your help with focus, I will get lost) and my tracking could be very limited. I will scout my minimum with top players and potential devils first picks anyway.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don't get why Habs fans on the HFboards aren't very excited about Mysak. the Draft forum thread is mostly dead and their own forum thread forum is dead also.

If one of our players had a tournament like his we'd be posting like crazy. (like we did for Hughes)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad