GDT: 2022 World Juniors Championship Part Deux

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
What I'm saying is that at 100% skating maybe he doesn't make that decision. Maybe he skates out of trouble as he so often does. Regardless, bad play in the moment for sure, but injuries do matter in mental mistakes. I'm sure he'll learn from this. I'm also glad he seemed more comfortable towards the end, shows it's not a big injury.

Can't wait for Michigan's season. Overall, having a prospect like him in the pipeline is nothing short of very exciting.

I'm not sure how you can be so sure about that. He's never faced adversity related to his skating before, injury or not. It's good that he ran into it at a crucial time so that it sticks to him.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I'm not sure how you can be so sure about that. He's never faced adversity related to his skating before, injury or not. It's good that he ran into it at a crucial time so that it sticks to him.
I mean, I’m not sure, hence why I said “maybe he doesn’t make that decision”. With that being said, I’ve seen Luke Hughes getting out of bigger jams while relying on his skating, which wasn’t 100%. Guess we’ll never know hehe.

I agree that, as a young player, a play like that is a learning experience.

Super excited to have him, kid’s a gamer and an elite player as he’s shown this tournament.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I think on the turnover Hughes normally would beat the Czech forward that cut him off and forced him to spin away. He normally would continue low and probably was looking to send the puck right to the front of the net where two USA players are standing and would have had a good look to put it home. Instead, because it seemed he lost a step throughout the game, he got beat to the spot and was worried about the puck being poked away back past the blue line and sent the puck blindly across the blue line for the turnover. I

Hughes' reduced speed definitely played a factor in that turnover. That's a player he'd normally beat outside and would've sent the puck right in front of the net. It's tough for a player to adjust to something like that when it's a play they make every other time and they don't know the limit they have to impose upon themselves when they are injured. It's a tough break for Luke on that play.

Hughes seemed to have an awesome tournament, which is always great to see from one of our prospects. He still has a lot to work on, though, on both sides of the ice.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I think on the turnover Hughes normally would beat the Czech forward that cut him off and forced him to spin away. He normally would continue low and probably was looking to send the puck right to the front of the net where two USA players are standing and would have had a good look to put it home. Instead, because it seemed he lost a step throughout the game, he got beat to the spot and was worried about the puck being poked away back past the blue line and sent the puck blindly across the blue line for the turnover. I

Hughes' reduced speed definitely played a factor in that turnover. That's a player he'd normally beat outside and would've sent the puck right in front of the net. It's tough for a player to adjust to something like that when it's a play they make every other time and they don't know the limit they have to impose upon themselves when they are injured. It's a tough break for Luke on that play.

Hughes seemed to have an awesome tournament, which is always great to see from one of our prospects. He still has a lot to work on, though, on both sides of the ice.
Pretty much how I see it as well, especially in regards to the final play. Great post!

As for your last sentence, although I agree he obviously has stuff to work on as an 18 year old, I've been surprised by Hughes' defensive play in this tourney. Although, not elite, he's definitely improved in regards to positioning and decision making in his own zone, and I focused on him very hard in the US games (I've watched all of them). It's still his weakness but I've been pleasantly surprised. His great skill in the offensive zone and in transition is as advertised.

Super excited to have an elite, top prospect in the fold. Kid's a gamer.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I really like Fantilli right now, too -- he looks like he can push for the top 3 overall, as well. The 2023 class is stacked with talent. It's going to be fun, although I expect the Devils to draft in the 10-20 range and not be a team in the mix for the top overall pick.
Fantilli can be picked by even second pick. The issue I have with him is iq. Anyway I would be happy to win lottery and pick him. Guy can fly and work on the speed. He wasn’t productive against Cooley and Gauthier but it’s ok, he was 16-17 yo. He can be awesome scoring machine you can’t stop.

I would say for now I have strong four. I think Bedard is number one pick and Fantilli is number two for now. But we are talking about overall level. Mitchkov was better producer in the same tournament, better producer in MHL, if we will extrapolat, Bedard is better shooter, but Mitchkov better positionaly and can fly the zone. Bedard for now I think better in two way game. Karlsson is much better than both in 200 foot game, better than Fantilli too, very strong mature player even for his age. And he has a lot of tools. Ofcourse his release isn’t on the Bedard level, but I’m talking about who will help you win games.
Im not saying that this guy or that guy is better overall. Because for now I don’t have clear answer. I understand clearly that Bedard is number one now, and I believe even if Mitchkov will score 20 goals in KHL and Karlsson will score 20 goals in SHL, it doesn’t change anything in the draft day. But… you know. Okey. I believe Bedard is 35+ NHL scorer guarantee, may be even 50+, but we are talking about even bigger things.

I was watching for Strammel on this tournamen, because theoretically he can be available for our pick and I think he can be that kind of guy we could draft and need. I know it’s too early, but I hope we will not be in the hunt for Bedard and even for Dvorsky. Too bad tourney was ended for him and Luke.

Last edited:

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Pretty much how I see it as well. Great post!

As for your last sentence, although I agree he obviously has stuff to work on as an 18 year old, I've been surprised by Hughes' defensive play in the tourney. Although, not elite, he's definitely improved in regards to positioning and decision making in his own zone, and I focused on him very hard in the US games and I've watched all of them. It's still his weakness but I've been pleasantly surprised. His great skill in the offensive zone and in transition is as advertised.

Super excited to have an elite, top prospect in the fold. Kid's a gamer.
I was also pleasantly surprised with Luke defensively. He's still got a ways to go but he is definitely ahead of where he was last year. He tried to play things a bit safer defensively which is what he needs to continue to do. Obviously he was not perfect and I think he still classifies as not great defensively, that is well better than him being horrendous this time last year. I like to see that from him and hope he continues to improve bit by bit on this side of the puck.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I was also pleasantly surprised with Luke defensively. He's still got a ways to go but he is definitely ahead of where he was last year. He tried to play things a bit safer defensively which is what he needs to continue to do. Obviously he was not perfect and I think he still classifies as not great defensively, that is well better than him being horrendous this time last year. I like to see that from him and hope he continues to improve bit by bit on this side of the puck.
Yup, we agree! His offensive game and skating are great, but we already knew that.

I, as you do, want him to keep on polishing the defensive side. Seems like he’s well on his way!

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
The coaching staff letting Luke stay out there and lead in ice time is a little odd. That 3rd goal the Czechs scored was a bit of a fluke but it was a weak goal to give up. With all due respect to who played goal for Team USA i Think goaltending was a major weak point on the USA roster. Oh well the loss stings and the unfortunate stuff that happened with Luke in this game is what it is. Throughout the 5 games he played as a whole Luke was probably USA’s best player. All we could realistically ask for was to them to finish in the top 2. Good thing we only have to wait till December for the redemption tournament.

Reactions: My3Sons

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Fantilli can be picked by even second pick. The issue I have with him is iq. Anyway I would be happy to win lottery and pick him. Guy can fly and work on the speed. He wasn’t productive against Cooley and Gauthier but it’s ok, he was 16-17 yo. He can be awesome scoring machine you can’t stop.

I would say for now I have strong four. I think Bedard is number one pick and Fantilli is number two for now. But we are talking about overall level. Mitchkov was better producer in the same tournament, better producer in MHL, if we will extrapolat, Bedard is better shooter, but Mitchkov better positionaly and can fly the zone. Bedard for now I think better in two way game. Karlsson is much better than both in 200 foot game, better than Fantilli too, very strong mature player even for his age. And he has a lot of tools. Ofcourse his release isn’t on the Bedard level, but I’m talking about who will help you win games.
Im not saying that this guy or that guy is better overall. Because for now I don’t have clear answer. I understand clearly that Bedard is number one now, and I believe even if Mitchkov will score 20 goals in KHL and Karlsson will score 20 goals in SHL, it doesn’t change anything in the draft day. But… you know. Okey. I believe Bedard is 35+ NHL scorer guarantee, may be even 50+, but we are talking about even bigger things.

I was watching for Strammel on this tournamen, because theoretically he can be available for our pick and I think he can be that kind of guy we could draft and need. I know it’s too early, but I hope we will not be in the hunt for Bedard and even for Dvorsky. Too bad tourney was ended for him and Luke.

I am in the STI camp. I love Fantilli. I love his skating, his shot and his attitude. He's 17 and putting up solid numbers in the USHL.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Solid tournament for Luke. Fortunately the injury doesn't appear to be serious and there's plenty of time to rest before the season starts up for Michigan.

Really didn't have much interest in this WJC given the timing and the amount of high end players that skipped the tournament. Will be more interested for the WJC coming up in December/January. Added bonus that Luke's participation in the tournament will open up additional opportunities for Edwards and Casey at Michigan.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I am in the STI camp. I love Fantilli. I love his skating, his shot and his attitude. He's 17 and putting up solid numbers in the USHL.
How sti camp is actually looks like?

How many games of Mitchkov and Karlsson you watched?

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So was Luke injured last night or was he injured going into the game? If he was already injured it explains the previous game as well where a few of us thought he looked really off.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

For everyone who had the US coaching staff would be cautious, “if it was serious they wouldn’t let him play” type takes during the game, there ya go.

Yeah, he could skate, he wanted to play, and a bone wasn’t sticking out of his leg, so he played.

They had no idea if anything was wrong or cared that much. He’s a (18 year old) warrior that wanted to play for his country **eyes roll out of head onto floor**

Just FYI.
Luke Hughes, an A-rated defenseman for the 2021 NHL Draft, is expected to resume skating in late May after having surgery March 17 to repair a foot tendon lacerated by a skate cut.

Hughes, who plays for the USA Hockey National Team Development Program Under-18 team, was injured March 7 during the second period of a 5-4 shootout win against Chicago of the United States Hockey League. Hughes finished the game, including going second in the shootout.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
How sti camp is actually looks like?

How many games of Mitchkov and Karlsson you watched?

None on Karlsson and Mostly Mitchkov highlights. I did not mean to diminish the Russian Rocket. That kid is special. I am just saying I like Fantilli and I don't see him going in the second round.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hughes was the USA's best player in several of the games and it isn't a coincidence that they fell apart once he was hurt. This was a good experience for him and hopefully he didn't have a significant injury. He will be back in December to get his revenge presumably. A silver lining is Hauser showing something in a big spot. Maybe there is a player there.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
None on Karlsson and Mostly Mitchkov highlights. I did not mean to diminish the Russian Rocket. That kid is special. I am just saying I like Fantilli and I don't see him going in the second round.
Man. Fantilli is closer to even be second in my view. Ofcourse he is very likable guy. If I'm not sure is he second, third or fourth in talent perspective, it doesn't mean I don't like a guy. I was putting Cooley higher than Gauthier year ago, but I like Cutter more.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Man. Fantilli is closer to even be second in my view. Ofcourse he is very likable guy. If I'm not sure is he second, third or fourth in talent perspective, it doesn't mean I don't like a guy. I was putting Cooley higher than Gauthier year ago, but I like Cutter more.
I am sorry. Did you mean 2OA? I thought you mean second round. Apologies.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Hughes was the USA's best player in several of the games and it isn't a coincidence that they fell apart once he was hurt. This was a good experience for him and hopefully he didn't have a significant injury. He will be back in December to get his revenge presumably. A silver lining is Hauser showing something in a big spot. Maybe there is a player there.
Even with goal, guy should walk through the long path. Anyway we saw enough from the guy to be patient enough with his late round pick. When I saw how big rangy guy supports talent core in successful teams, I want to root for our Czech lgiant even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad