GDT: 2022 World Cup Qatar | Canada: Nov 23 @ 12PM vs. Belgium, Nov 27 @ 9AM vs. Croatia, Dec 1 @ 8AM vs. Morocco

How many games will Canada win at the World Cup?

• Total voters

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Okay, I was wrong.

You can just rationalize it away.

Every player on the pitch knew it was the correct call because it's been called that exact way their entire professional career in every league they've ever played in but since you've rationalized it in your mind, I guess they should have disallowed it.
Good point but I think Argentina put on a real soccer clinic for most of the day. The conditioning of these soccer athletes is just amazing. It probably surpasses that of every other sport except rowing and bicycling. Even Lance Armstrong would be amazed by these guys.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
.I've cited specifically there were several times in the tournament where ball hitting arm was not called, not deemed sufficient. You seem not to realize that.

So that there's nothing I'm rationalizing I'm citing the established precedent of non calls that occurred in the tournament. Just in watching I saw about 8 of these instances result in no penalty kick call. I saw one today where the PK was awarded.

"every player on the pitch knew" lol how do you know that?
Humor me. Cite specific examples in games because I watched a lot of soccer this WC.

Also, just saw the replay of your "harmless shot". It was going in.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Humor me. Cite specific examples in games because I watched a lot of soccer this WC.

Also, just saw the replay of your "harmless shot". It was going in.
Clearly your mind is made up on this. Put down the French flag. You've already been proved wrong.

You won't heed this either but I'll post it.

remember you were the one positing that this was a call all the time any time, anywhere. yet is hasn't been and the rules governing it have changed.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
For one it wasn't a handball. It inadvertently hit the elbow from 10 feet away. Its impossible to move so quickly when the shot is from so close away. For another the shot was taken outside of the box, it wasn't even a player in box foul, and the foul took place just on the edge of the box. It was a weak awarding of penalty there and they could easily have said no, thats not sufficient to be potentially deciding the WC final.

Several calls even in this World Cup tournament looked the other way on hand, arm, elbow inadvertent touches and DID NOT award penalty kicks so what you wrote in bolded is patently false. In the actual tournament played discretion was usually deciding no call. The World Cup to this point had done a somewhat good job being judicious in the awarding of penalty kicks awarded and reducing the amount, and the amount of play acting for penalties as well. To the betterment of Football.

I certainly don't think that was going in, or that it was going to beat Martinez even if on target.

Its a chintzy way to get a tying goal in last minutes of extra time and France were falling all over the box today trying to get candy. They even got a yellow card for one of the more tawdry attempts at play acting getting shot. ;)
The standard of calling handballs changed over the years. These days calls like the one in this game are made almost every time, specially when the arm is away from the body and the ball is obviously deflected. The onus is more on players to be responsible. If you look at footage from a few decades ago you rarely see players deliberately putting their hands behind their back (or closely tucked near the body) when the opposite player is in a shooting position. Now it happens almost every time, because if the ball hits their arms when is away from the body, more often than not a handball is called. Personally I don't have any problem with that call. Or with the other two penalty calls. They weren't blatant fouls, but IMO there was sufficient contact to warrant the call.

What a fabulous game this was.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The standard of calling handballs changed over the years. These days calls like the one in this game are made almost every time, specially when the arm is away from the body and the ball is obviously deflected. The onus is more on players to be responsible. If you look at footage from a few decades ago you rarely see players deliberately putting their hands behind their back (or closely tucked near the body) when the opposite player is in a shooting position. Now it happens almost every time, because if the ball hits their arms when is away from the body, more often than not a handball is called. Personally I don't have any problem with that call. Or with the other two penalty calls. They weren't blatant fouls, but IMO there was sufficient contact to warrant the call.

What a fabulous game this was.
Well expressed. But whether it was deemed sufficient to overturn a potential deciding goal in extra time in the WC offers its own magnitude and threshold. There was sufficient precedent and circumstance to also warrant a non call.

France got the benefit of the call after already having been awarded a crucial penalty kick in the same match. France in effect saved twice by penalties. Its not a result I would want. Nor should England have prevailed against France because they got two Penalty shots and no goals from play in the Quarterfinal match.

The purist in me would rather games be decided on goals from run of play.

The threshold for Penalty kicks and the rules for awarding them have changed. The purview being, apparently, that Penalty kicks awarded shouldn't be deciding outcomes of matches as much as they have.

Even in the game yesterday Gvardial is home free, with the ball at his feet ready to score and is grabbed by the arm from behind hauling him down. no call awarded. He was even injured on the play, in the box, and with the ball going the other way and him not being able to play for the next few minutes almost resulting in Croatia conceding through losing their best defender.

FIFA appears to have made more discretion of awarding of penalty kicks now and requiring more reason. The play on Gvardial would formerly be more likely to heed a penalty.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kind of a funny little history repeating itself thing...the last time Canada appeared at the World Cup in '86, was the last time Argentina won the tournament. Canada's appearance seems to be their rabbit's foot.
I wonder if they were carrying any Canada flags around in 78. ;)

Maybe the talisman wasn't invented yet then.

Anyway nothing but the Oilers in finals gets me as fired up as the World Cup. Thanks to all for the exchanges and convo during this tournament.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
.I've cited specifically there were several times in the tournament where ball hitting arm was not called, not deemed sufficient. You seem not to realize that.

So that there's nothing I'm rationalizing I'm citing the established precedent of non calls that occurred in the tournament. Just in watching I saw about 8 of these instances result in no penalty kick call. I saw one today where the PK was awarded.

"every player on the pitch knew" lol how do you know that?
because no one really complained and just accepted it and didn't crowd the ref.

It got called because the arm was out. if the arm was in it would not have been called if it his elbow, but he had his up and out. That's why it was called.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
because no one really complained and just accepted it and didn't crowd the ref.

It got called because the arm was out. if the arm was in it would not have been called if it his elbow, but he had his up and out. That's why it was called.
Its fair comment. But yeah players don't complain a ton on the pitch for calls awarded, because they realize no amount of complaint or pushing officials will result in the call being changed. Except for say Morocco or Netherlands... Generally teams are more worried about getting a red card if they protest too vociferously so that they don't. its not going to change a call. It NEVER does.

Player should not have had his arm away from body but its not clear the body or arm moved towards the ball or that its even capable that close in to the shot.

In anycase glad Argentina got the W and they deserved and did much more on the pitch the whole game. France had only moments in this one.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Clearly your mind is made up on this. Put down the French flag. You've already been proved wrong.

You won't heed this either but I'll post it.

remember you were the one positing that this was a call all the time any time, anywhere. yet is hasn't been and the rules governing it have changed.
Your first link if for handballs on offense.
The second is behind a paywall so I'm not even gonna look at that one.

I'll just leave my own link explaining the rule for you:
& here's the pertinent part for defensive situations in case it doesn't show for some reason:

Handballs in defensive scenarios​

We frequently see players fold their arms behind the back or in the sides of the body, in a so-called “natural position” when defending near an attacker’s cross or shot.

It is usually a handball if:

• The ball touches the arm, or the hand is extended in an unnatural position.
EXPLANATION: An arm extended laterally or vertically can make the body unnaturally bigger, covering more space than necessary. Consequently, a handball in an “unnatural position” can be called, even if it is not done deliberately.

It is usually not a handball if:

• The ball makes contact with the arm/hand in a “natural position.”
  • The ball accidentally makes contact with a defender’s hand/arm inside their penalty area from a deflection, a teammate’s clearance, or similar.
  • The ball makes contact with a player’s supporting arm/hand. A player who falls to the ground or goes into a sliding tackle must protect himself using the arm’s support. Therefore it is usually not a handball if the ball hits the supporting arm/hand. On the contrary, it can lead to a handball situation if a player goes into a sliding tackle with his arm extended without using it as support.
Its fair comment. But yeah players don't complain a ton on the pitch for calls awarded, because they realize no amount of complaint or pushing officials will result in the call being changed. Except for say Morocco or Netherlands... Generally teams are more worried about getting a red card if they protest too vociferously so that they don't. its not going to change a call. It NEVER does.

Player should not have had his arm away from body but its not clear the body or arm moved towards the ball or that its even capable that close in to the shot.

In anycase glad Argentina got the W and they deserved and did much more on the pitch the whole game. France had only moments in this one.
Soccer players don't complain?
This can't be serious. They complain way more about everything than any hockey player or coach ever has.
They didn't complain much on this one because they realized that, while it was unfortunate, it was a legit penalty & would be a penalty every time for them if the roles were reversed.

I have way more of a problem with the first penalty they were given than this one. That one was debatable but this one wasn't IMO.

@The Moose said it perfectly. The only thing I'd add is that nowadays with VAR it's getting called every time.

& FTR I had no dog in this fight & am perfectly happy that Argentina won & they deserved to win IMO.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Well expressed. But whether it was deemed sufficient to overturn a potential deciding goal in extra time in the WC offers its own magnitude and threshold. There was sufficient precedent and circumstance to also warrant a non call.

France got the benefit of the call after already having been awarded a crucial penalty kick in the same match. France in effect saved twice by penalties. Its not a result I would want. Nor should England have prevailed against France because they got two Penalty shots and no goals from play in the Quarterfinal match.

The purist in me would rather games be decided on goals from run of play.

The threshold for Penalty kicks and the rules for awarding them have changed. The purview being, apparently, that Penalty kicks awarded shouldn't be deciding outcomes of matches as much as they have.

Even in the game yesterday Gvardial is home free, with the ball at his feet ready to score and is grabbed by the arm from behind hauling him down. no call awarded. He was even injured on the play, in the box, and with the ball going the other way and him not being able to play for the next few minutes almost resulting in Croatia conceding through losing their best defender.

FIFA appears to have made more discretion of awarding of penalty kicks now and requiring more reason. The play on Gvardial would formerly be more likely to heed a penalty.
But penalty kicks are caused from committing a foul inside the box, which is a dangerous spot, so the run of the play caused those, indirectly leading to the PK goals.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not a soccer guy but got into it a bit during this World Cup. That final was nuts. A great game I can assume will go down as a classic.

To me, Messi is the storyline that really got me interested. Most obviously the best player in the game of his generation but he has fend off challenges and false narratives by the best striker in Ronaldo. Similar to the whole McDavid v Matthews “debate”. Very interesting to finally see that rivalry end the right way, with Messi again most obviously the best.

Reactions: Oilhawks

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
First time I watched a few world cup games since the one in 1994 in the US.

I started watching this game from 45 min and onwards. I never watch soccer, but man that was so entertaining. Up and down.

I also get a laugh at how many guys die on the field and then are up and walking within 30 seconds lol. It's embarassing.

i thought kaprizov and Petey went over and started playing soccer

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Best singular sporting game/event in the last 30+ years imo.

If you had to script a soccer game for a movie, this is how you’d write it up.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
But penalty kicks are caused from committing a foul inside the box, which is a dangerous spot, so the run of the play caused those, indirectly leading to the PK goals.
Did you see the non call on Gvardial inside the box, home free, onside with the ball at his feet and the goal to score? The Morocco defender clearly grabbed his arm. But no penalty kick awarded on that play which was a golden scoring chance and probably a goal.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Did you see the non call on Gvardial inside the box, home free, onside with the ball at his feet and the goal to score? The Morocco defender clearly grabbed his arm. But no penalty kick awarded on that play which was a golden scoring chance and probably a goal.
Shoulder to shoulder challenges in the box are the goalie interference equivalent of soccer. The most subjective of calls, even with VAR involved.

It’s more obvious when there’s feet or shoves from behind involved.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Your first link if for handballs on offense.
The second is behind a paywall so I'm not even gonna look at that one.

I'll just leave my own link explaining the rule for you:
& here's the pertinent part for defensive situations in case it doesn't show for some reason:

Handballs in defensive scenarios​

We frequently see players fold their arms behind the back or in the sides of the body, in a so-called “natural position” when defending near an attacker’s cross or shot.

It is usually a handball if:

• The ball touches the arm, or the hand is extended in an unnatural position.
EXPLANATION: An arm extended laterally or vertically can make the body unnaturally bigger, covering more space than necessary. Consequently, a handball in an “unnatural position” can be called, even if it is not done deliberately.

It is usually not a handball if:

• The ball makes contact with the arm/hand in a “natural position.”
  • The ball accidentally makes contact with a defender’s hand/arm inside their penalty area from a deflection, a teammate’s clearance, or similar.
  • The ball makes contact with a player’s supporting arm/hand. A player who falls to the ground or goes into a sliding tackle must protect himself using the arm’s support. Therefore it is usually not a handball if the ball hits the supporting arm/hand. On the contrary, it can lead to a handball situation if a player goes into a sliding tackle with his arm extended without using it as support.

Soccer players don't complain?
This can't be serious. They complain way more about everything than any hockey player or coach ever has.
They didn't complain much on this one because they realized that, while it was unfortunate, it was a legit penalty & would be a penalty every time for them if the roles were reversed.

I have way more of a problem with the first penalty they were given than this one. That one was debatable but this one wasn't IMO.

@The Moose said it perfectly. The only thing I'd add is that nowadays with VAR it's getting called every time.

& FTR I had no dog in this fight & am perfectly happy that Argentina won & they deserved to win IMO.
its all good. I think where we differed is in me saying that there were other plays where ball directed off arm that were not called. You maintained that when a player has his arm away from torso that the calls get made. I don't have the replays at my disposal so its possible that we're both right. Thanks for the responses, sorry that WC gets me a bit hyped up.

The reason the game kind of upset me was seeing all the complaints from french fans (not you, but on mains) complaining that France lost on penaltiy kicks when really the main reason they were even in the match was penalty kicks, whether they should or should not be awarded. I prefer like I say for plays on the pitch to decide it with exception to egregious fouls in the box. I'll watch again to see if I think that ball was going in. Not sure how one could be sure when the arm was so close to the kick thus we can't really tell trajectory and height of the ball yet.

Shoulder to shoulder challenges in the box are the goalie interference equivalent of soccer. The most subjective of calls, even with VAR involved.

It’s more obvious when there’s feet or shoves from behind involved.
It wasn't shoulder to shoulder. it was grabbing arm from behind. Even in hockey thats a penalty shot. In Womens soccer its the equivalent of grabbing a pony tail from behind, in the box, and getting a kick in the box for it.. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not a soccer guy but got into it a bit during this World Cup. That final was nuts. A great game I can assume will go down as a classic.

To me, Messi is the storyline that really got me interested. Most obviously the best player in the game of his generation but he has fend off challenges and false narratives by the best striker in Ronaldo. Similar to the whole McDavid v Matthews “debate”. Very interesting to finally see that rivalry end the right way, with Messi again most obviously the best.
That Messi is somewhat diminutive in height makes it all the more special. He has to do his magic with brilliance and while giving up height in a game where headers and height can be important and where long leg spints can burn. Theres a tactical aspect to Messi, and Messi runs through traffic that is just unparalleled. He's the best without being afforded the best physical frame. For instance Ronaldo has every stature advantage, and the potential speed that comes with having longer strides but Messi better than all. Even at age and Mbappe in prime, Messi was better. The two Penalty kick goals cloud that on the scoreline but in match play Messi better, and won it for Argentina.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Dropping in well late to say that's was incredible and the GOAT goes out as the Champion he's always been to everyone.

My mind is still blown at this game.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I pegged the winner in both the Bronze medal game and the Final.

Also pegged Canada losing all their games and not effing Croatia. ;)
Unfortunately I also pegged germany going out at group stage. double sigh.
Lol I also figured Canada wouldn’t win a game. I was hoping England or Netherlands would surprise but no such luck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad