GDT: 2022 World Cup Qatar | Canada: Nov 23 @ 12PM vs. Belgium, Nov 27 @ 9AM vs. Croatia, Dec 1 @ 8AM vs. Morocco

How many games will Canada win at the World Cup?

• Total voters

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
how could you not?,
no other sporting event comes close to the viewership.
I mean, you could combine the Superbowl, world series, and NBA finals, and it wouldn't come close.

I forgot it was even on when I woke up, walked the dog, went online to bitch about Woodcroft, ate a banana, checked to see if there was scotch tape in the junk drawer, checked this thread and read something something something penalty kicks deciding a 4 year world championship and figured that’s why soccer isn’t at the top of my must watch list. The banana was excellent however.

Now I have to go shovel the god forsaken driveway.

Sounded like a fun game to watch though! I’ll catch the hilites on SC after the 12 hours of Leaf analysis.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not sure how much of a fan of the sport you are but you missed out. This was a spectacular game and I’d put it up there with any championship game I’ve ever watched in any sport.
Agree with the sentiment but not the greatest game. Argentina were all over this match and up 2-0. France didn't get even a moment in first 80mins. It was Argentina domination all over the pitch. This match had the same silly script as the Netherlands match. FIFA giving France two Penalty Kicks for two goals is the only reason this ever went to extra time, and the only reason it went to penalty kicks. FIFA created the drama in this match. Otherwise it was a 2-0 Argentina regulation win.

I'm opposed to the game management and FIFA intervening in what was otherwise a beautiful Argentina W. FIFA kept trying to give the game back to france. Let the players decide without such intervention and Argentina won going away.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
..and Messi is a WC winner. Pretty neat final & the most memorable extra time I can recall..
Croatia vs Brazil was better because both goals scored in extra time were through actual play, and not freebee penalty kicks like what France got today.

I could easily say Germany Argentina Extra time final in 2014 was better and also a spectacularly taken golden goal in that one. Theres never been better.

but I'm biased.

I forgot it was even on when I woke up, walked the dog, went online to bitch about Woodcroft, ate a banana, checked to see if there was scotch tape in the junk drawer, checked this thread and read something something something penalty kicks deciding a 4 year world championship and figured that’s why soccer isn’t at the top of my must watch list. The banana was excellent however.

Now I have to go shovel the god forsaken driveway.

Sounded like a fun game to watch though! I’ll catch the hilites on SC after the 12 hours of Leaf analysis.
You don't have to shovel yet because its still snowing. There, I saved you that. I'm gonna wait till this quits. Did the walks 4 times this weekend already. It just keeps coming.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Well. My take is Argentina won this game 3 times. FIFA tried to give it back to France twice.

Argentina were fully deserving victors. They won the game on the pitch in run of play. Not by getting awarded two Penalty Kicks for goals. The last one I thought a weak call and at edge of box. I mean we're talking about a penalty awarded when the shot came outside of the box, hit an elbow 1ofeet away and was a harmless shot. With the foul taking place practically on the line.

Its a shame that FIFA decided that the Messi golden goal in OT wasn't the winner. That would be a better ending, I agree.

This is reasonable illustration that perhaps first goal should W, be sudden Death. However the Croatia Brazil game argued otherwise.
There's never been a more clear cut penalty than that handball by Argentina other than the intentional kind that come with a red card. That's a penalty on absolutely every level of soccer in every country.

You can't just rationalize it away.

Also to say it was a "harmless shot" is kinda funny since I THINK it was going to hit the net & probably score.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm not a soccer fan but that was a wildly entertaining game. I guess I'm a convert now.

Question though--on the French penalty kick that tied it up, what was the Argentinian infraction? It seemed pretty slight?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There's never been a more clear cut penalty than that handball by Argentina other than the intentional kind that come with a red card. That's a penalty on absolutely every level of soccer in every country.

You can't just rationalize it away.

Also to say it was a "harmless shot" is kinda funny since I THINK it was going to hit the net & probably score.
For one it wasn't a handball. It inadvertently hit the elbow from 10 feet away. Its impossible to move so quickly when the shot is from so close away. For another the shot was taken outside of the box, it wasn't even a player in box foul, and the foul took place just on the edge of the box. It was a weak awarding of penalty there and they could easily have said no, thats not sufficient to be potentially deciding the WC final.

Several calls even in this World Cup tournament looked the other way on hand, arm, elbow inadvertent touches and DID NOT award penalty kicks so what you wrote in bolded is patently false. In the actual tournament played discretion was usually deciding no call. The World Cup to this point had done a somewhat good job being judicious in the awarding of penalty kicks awarded and reducing the amount, and the amount of play acting for penalties as well. To the betterment of Football.

I certainly don't think that was going in, or that it was going to beat Martinez even if on target.

Its a chintzy way to get a tying goal in last minutes of extra time and France were falling all over the box today trying to get candy. They even got a yellow card for one of the more tawdry attempts at play acting getting shot. ;)

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I'm not a soccer fan but that was a wildly entertaining game. I guess I'm a convert now.

Question though--on the French penalty kick that tied it up, what was the Argentinian infraction? It seemed pretty slight?
Handball in the box.
The ball hit his arm as it flailed well away from his body. If he attempts to keep his arm close to his body it's not called.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I tuned in at about the 95th minute. That was the most soccer I've watched in my entire life and that was a thrilling end to the game. I figured when Messi scored that was it, thinking extra time was sudden death.

I just seen what the goalie did with his award after it was mentioned here. :laugh:

I don't what was funnier, that or the collective "gasp" from the crowd.

PXL_20221218_185253246.jpg

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Handball in the box.
The ball hit his arm as it flailed well away from his body. If he attempts to keep his arm close to his body it's not called.
Several instances in the tournament (I actually watched the games) where a ball hitting an arm was NOT called a penalty. Several appropriate non calls on the same plays occurred in the tournament. Leading me to believe you didn't watch much of the tournament. This was no hands of Maradona, nothing close, and even that wasn't called in infamy.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I tuned in at about the 95th minute. That was the most soccer I've watched in my entire life and that was a thrilling end to the game. I figured when Messi scored that was it, thinking extra time was sudden death.

I just seen what the goalie did with his award after it was mentioned here. :laugh:

I don't what was funnier, that or the collective "gasp" from the crowd.

View attachment 623556
I also thought it was sudden death but my wife looked up the rules and corrected me on it.

Handball in the box.
Thanks but again, from a non-soccer fan--that was a pretty marginal call?

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
For one it wasn't a handball. It inadvertently hit the elbow from 10 feet away. Its impossible to move so quickly when the shot is from so close away. For another the shot was taken outside of the box, it wasn't even a player in box foul, and the foul took place just on the edge of the box. It was a weak awarding of penalty there and they could easily have said no, thats not sufficient to be potentially deciding the WC final.

Several calls even in this World Cup tournament looked the other way on hand, arm, elbow inadvertent touches and DID NOT award penalty kicks so what you wrote in bolded is false. The World Cup to this point had done a somewhat good job being judicious in the awarding of penalty kicks awarded and reducing the amount, and the amount of play acting.

I certainly don't think that was going in, or that it was going to beat Martinez even if on target.

Its a chintzy way to get a tying goal in last minutes of extra time and France were falling all over the box today trying to get candy.
Okay, I was wrong.

You can just rationalize it away.

Every player on the pitch knew it was the correct call because it's been called that exact way their entire professional career in every league they've ever played in but since you've rationalized it in your mind, I guess they should have disallowed it.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I also thought it was sudden death but my wife looked up the rules and corrected me on it.

Thanks but again, from a non-soccer fan--that was a pretty marginal call?
It was certainly a marginal call and one that was not called several times in the tournament in the exact same ball hits arm inadvertently instance. You are correct.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Okay, I was wrong.

You can just rationalize it away.

Every player on the pitch knew it was the correct call because it's been called that exact way their entire professional career in every league they've ever played in but since you've rationalized it in your mind, I guess they should have disallowed it.
.I've cited specifically there were several times in the tournament where ball hitting arm was not called, not deemed sufficient. You seem not to realize that.

So that there's nothing I'm rationalizing I'm citing the established precedent of non calls that occurred in the tournament. Just in watching I saw about 8 of these instances result in no penalty kick call. I saw one today where the PK was awarded.

"every player on the pitch knew" lol how do you know that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad