WJC: 2022 Team USA Roster Talk

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
One of you posted a week or so ago that coaching is often the weak link for USA teams, and that was on full display tonight.

When your best player is hobbled, you don't let him continue. It diminishes the team and risks aggravating his injury. You put your arm around him and say "I know you'd gut it out, but I have to sit you down, for your sake and the team's."

What a disgraceful lack of leadership.
I beat that drum a lot. Managment/coaching is a real sore spot for USA Hockey as it's very much a good ole boys club. I guess that can be said for a lot of sporting federations but USA Hockey seems to stand out to me. Full credit to the Czechs but this was an inexusable letdown by Nate Leaman and co.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
In all honesty this is a throwaway tournament. The real one should have happened in December but the ridiculous Covid rules and the inept management of both Hockey Canada and IIHF ruined that. The USA roster we weak because their best players are training for their upcoming seasons and made the smart decision to stay home verse playing a watered down tournament in Edmonton in August. Fans don't even care.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
In all honesty this is a throwaway tournament. The real one should have happened in December but the ridiculous Covid rules and the inept management of both Hockey Canada and IIHF ruined that. The USA roster we weak because their best players are training for their upcoming seasons and made the smart decision to stay home verse playing a watered down tournament in Edmonton in August. Fans don't even care.
This is kind of weak. Just take the loss it happens but the whole "this doesn't even actually matter" after losing is just bad form. Every team was down players and for a large chunk of the players in this tournament and yes on the American team, this was it for them. They don't have the tournament this Christmas to bounce back at.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I'd be interested to hear on who fans think should have been on the team and who shouldn't have made it.

I know team USA sometimes make weird roster decision so I'm wondering if that plus the coaching is what did them in.

As a Sens fan and after a good showing in camp, I was excited to see Boucher suit up.
If you go back through this thread there are quite a few conversations about the roster. Who should have been on the team this summer.

There in lies US hockey fans issuea with USA Hockey. Every thread for U20 and the WC US teams. Its getting old how many tournaments get blown for personal selections.

Pretty frustrating to say the least.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
It's a real shame, but anyone who isn't a shill for USA Hockey should've seen this coming. I said it the last few weeks, and some here didn't like it. Apparently we had to defend bad hockey players that had no business being anywhere near this team. And there were a lot of selfish fans of NHL teams that couldn't care less about if we had success in this tournament that came in this thread to tell us what was best for our World Junior team that they had no stake in. Complete selfishness. None of them seem to want to show their faces now.

USA Hockey selected a bad team. This coach needs to be canned immediately. He got too comfortable after the win last time with a great group of players. He was selecting his own player who had no business on the team. They were selecting undrafted guys over first round picks. They had an undrafted guy in the lineup over our highest pick in the 2023 draft for seniority reasons. Complete nonsense.

I said it from the beginning that this was not a strong group. What you don't do is compound the obvious reality of the team, and select the oldest possible team you can thinking you are going to overpower reality and make these mediocre 19 year olds into better players than the 19 year olds on the other top teams just because you want them to be. They weren't. Select the best prospects, and then supplement that with guys that can come back in future editions. We were supposed to be too good for using the same strategy that works for every country other than the one country that is demonstrably better than us. Except we weren't. Too much pride. Too arrogant.

The lack of a goalie who was at the level of goalies on the other top teams didn't help, but this team wasn't that good. You could see it in all the Prelim games. They played one team that could give them any sort of game, and that was probably also the weakest edition of that team we've seen in a long time. Outplaying a bad Sweden team didn't mean we were good this time around, and it wasn't like we decimated them. It was a one goal win. In the games against the bad teams they didn't put up any dominating totals either, shots or goals.

People got too excited about mediocre players dominating a bunch of sub-USHL level players from Latvia and Austria. We got what we deserved. Very unlikable team. Hopefully they learn their lesson, and select a young team for December. It's not going to be much better. The 2003's are not a strong age group either. We might not be Gold Medal Contenders in December either. But don't compound that mistake. Select a younger team. I hope a lot of people learn from this disaster of a team.

I’d argue it was the first line who let the team down. Not the Riley Durans of the world. Bordeleau’s line got TORCHED and were on ice for all 4 goals. -4. It’s a shame because i really liked their play up until now

Were any of those omissions supposed to play 1st line?

Go19

Jun 21, 2019
I’d argue it was the first line who let the team down. Not the Riley Durans of the world. Bordeleau’s line got TORCHED and were on ice for all 4 goals. -4. It’s a shame because i really liked their play up until now

Not sure how they got -4 - Mazur scored 1 and the Czechs only scored 4. Something on the score sheet needs fixing . 2 of the goals - the sieve effort from Mbereko and the empty netter are hard to put on the 1st line. The first Czech goal was the defense getting beat up behind the net and along the wall. Shot took a major deflection - again I would absolve the 1st line for that. So maybe one true goal against that they had a hand in. Hardly a "torching". They got beat by fantastic stick work, backchecking, the Czechs standing up 3 at the blueline and Czechs winning wall battles. Because of that they never found the space to utilize their advantages. Our forecheck was non-existant in comparison to the Swedish game. It was always one player the 2nd was never in a spot to clog it up and win it back. They are kids - it happens. Personally I think it was that sieve goal that hurt the most - if you look at the USA bench they slumped over when it happened. Then the stupid 5 min major - messed up the flow and probably their heads if you want to put blame down IMO.

Mar 12, 2009
This is kind of weak. Just take the loss it happens but the whole "this doesn't even actually matter" after losing is just bad form. Every team was down players and for a large chunk of the players in this tournament and yes on the American team, this was it for them. They don't have the tournament this Christmas to bounce back at.
Eh, this tournament looks like a summer showcase all around for the most part to me. Doesn't excuse a bad showing by the USA, but this has been a bit of a shart as far as WJC tournaments go (I'm a Canada fan btw).

Reactions: OldScool

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
That game really leaves a sour taste.

The inability to score in the 1st, apart from a single lucky bounce goal. Hughes getting injured. A 2nd period of inexcusably listless play. Leaman refusing to sit Hughes or make line changes. A stupid, dirty slewfoot major. The inevitable brutal goal let in by Mberko that ultimately was the difference.

The Czechs deserved the victory, but what a disappointing showing from our team when seriously challenged for the only time in the tournament.

On to December.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
The cope is strong with this one

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

That's fair. Honestly, the offense of this team was a bit of a let down. Not as potent as they should have been on paper. Defense was very good and the goaltending....well, not good.

Reactions: jj cale

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Please tell me the same coaching staff hasn't already been chosen for 2023.

Nate Leaman should never again set foot in a Team USA dressing room.
The USA Hockey devil's advocate viewpoint is Leaman led us to gold in 2021. He was part of the problem this go around but wasn't the only problem. I mean, they went 4-1. Pooped their pants at the worst moment but that can happen in single elimination.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
We'll never know however I think that the USA was silver at the very best at Christmas time.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
This championship runs in cycles, sometimes you're a bit in between when it comes to players. Your young stars may not be quite ready and your older guys may not be the strongest group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad