Wyatt Kaiser-Luke Hughes
Tyler Kleven-Eamon Powell
Aiden Hreschuk

Others: Ian Moore, Sean Behrens, Roman Schmidt

Drew Commesso
???????
Noah Grannan
Gibson Homer

I kind of like how even the stars on this team (Sanderson, Beniers) are not very flashy but it could be a struggle to find offense. It wouldn’t surprise me too much if Bordeleau ended up leading the team in scoring, while Beniers gets the most ice time among forwards.

Defense should be the strength of the team though, I really like this D group. Sanderson, Faber, and Hughes are quite the trio then add in a guy like Kaiser who I think will surprise a lot of people with how good he is.

Commesso is also obviously an above average option here but there is no goaltending depth at all. I’m not even sure who they’d go to after him and I’m hoping we don’t have to find out.

I don’t think they’ll lose anyone to the pros, which isn’t the greatest sign of development but is also kind of a nice luxury and removes any excuses. Expectations won’t and shouldn’t be as high as they were this year but sometimes it’s better that way.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Can we enjoy the win for ten minutes at least? lol

Knies is doing nothing this year so he'll need to get going if he's going to steal one of the rare non-NTDP spots.

Kaiser won't surprise too many people because by the end of this college season everyone will knows he's a star.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Kaiser is probably going to play a really big role on next year's team. I think Eamon Powell is an underrated guy who could make noise, too.

The defensive core should be very strong if Sanderson is back. There's a lot of depth right now in next year's defensive player pool.

The goalies won't be as good, but Commesso is a worthy #1 right now.

The forward group with definitely be less heralded with less star power, but you don't have to have star power up front to necessarily be successful offensively here.

Interested to see if some CHL guys like Jack O'Brien, Ty Voit, Avery Hayes, Simon Motew, Bruce Montgomery, etc. make a strong play for the team. With all these guys sitting right now, it's hard to get a read on where they stand at this point.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Any chance you have any 17 year olds playing? Some of those kids from the u17s look awfully good so far

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Any chance you have any 17 year olds playing? Some of those kids from the u17s look awfully good so far

It's not likely. USAH is really averse to moving up young players outside of the U18s / within the NTDP. In really recent years, you have to absolutely destroy it with the NTDP to get consideration.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Samoskevich-Beniers-Coronato
Knies-Bordeleau-Lucius
Duke-Smilanic-Pastujov
Berard-Slaggert-Berard
Boucher

Sanderson-Powell
Kleven-Faber
Kaiser-Hughes
Behrens

Commesso
Grannan
Mbereko

Goalies: Commesso should be one of the better goalies at this tournament. Past that, it gets very questionable. I think Grannan could put together a good performance or two. I'm not convinced he's anywhere near good enough to lead us to a Gold Medal, but if all he needs to do is play one game against a weak team, he should be good enough for that. I don't like any of the 2003 goalies. I guess I'd go with Mbereko over Homer. I know Homer is a lot bigger and has the late birthdate so he's probably a better draft prospect, but Mbereko is the better goalie from what I've seen. This position should be good for us as long as we don't need to go past Commesso when the games matter.

Defense: I think this will be the strongest part of the team. I think those first two pairs are going to be very key for us. Those guys have played together for years, and pair very well. None are the flashiest, but they all get the job done. I think it could be similar to this year's defense that was effective. They didn't need to be stars, and I also wouldn't rule out that Sanderson could be a star next year at this tournament. Having Hughes on the third pair shows the depth on defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he was good enough for a bigger role, but start him out on the third pair. Kaiser is also a solid player. For the 7th spot, I think it makes sense to bring Behrens. Those first 6 don't have a great PP QB. I think Behrens is better at that than any of them. Have him QB the first PP or at least the second one. And he's a good player outside of the PP. Other defensemen I think could be in contention for this team include Ufko, Hreschuk, Schmidt, Gallagher, Dunbar, Peart.

Forwards: I like our top 6. There aren't many teams that are going to have a better 1-2 down the middle than Beniers-Bordeleau. I know some are going to suggest Samoskevich at center, but I would not trust the guy at center in an elimination tournament. He's still learning the position. Let him play the Zegras role. He absolutely has that type of offensive performance in him. Coronato on the other wing gives us more of a understated offensive game. They should pair well with Beniers. I think Bordeleau could have a big tournament. He might be our best player next year. I know some won't even have Knies on the team after his weak start, but I still buy into his game. I think he's going to play a key role for this team next year. He's similar to a player like Boldy. Maybe a little worse of a skater. Lucius on the other wing gives two skilled skilled playmakers a goal scorer.

3C is one of the main question marks. I'm not sure there's a great answer for that position. I don't think Smilanic is a C long-term, but I think he could do the job in this tournament. He's a good player, and can fill a Farinacci type of role for this team. I also would like to see him playing with Pastujov and Duke, two of the better 2003's. Of all the 2003 NTDP forwards, those two play the best together. If they are both on the team, they need to be on the same line. I also like this fourth line. It shows depth that Berard could go from 3rd line this year to 4th next year. Slaggert can play 4C again, and hopefully play the role even better. Janicke needs to be on this team. He's such an effective player. Arguably the most underrated player in the 2021 draft. He'll be a key penalty killer, brings speed, and a pretty good scorer.

For the 13th F spot, I think you cannot keep Boucher off the team. He brings such a different style to the game than any player you see at this level. He can single-handedly change the momentum of the game. I would not give him a regular role to start out because he can absolutely lose his team the game with one bad hit, but I want him on the team. Other players in consideration for spots could be Hughes, Savage, Hanas, O'Brien, Doan.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
We're in a tough group again next year:

Group A
USA
Russia
Sweden
Slovakia
Switzerland

Group B
Canada
Finland
Germany
Czech Republic
Austria

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
One wildcard is Jacob Perrault. It'll be interesting to see if USAH puts on a full-court press if he's even interested in playing for Team USA. He doesn't seem to be a Hockey Canada favorite.

Reactions: Jaykay

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
We're in a tough group again next year:

Group A
USA
Russia
Sweden
Slovakia
Switzerland

Group B
Canada
Finland
Germany
Czech Republic
Austria

I actually like that the group will be tough. No false illusions after preliminary play. Intense puck battles and discipline will have happened. Then you know what you have.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Kaiser is probably going to play a really big role on next year's team. I think Eamon Powell is an underrated guy who could make noise, too.

The defensive core should be very strong if Sanderson is back. There's a lot of depth right now in next year's defensive player pool.

The goalies won't be as good, but Commesso is a worthy #1 right now.

The forward group with definitely be less heralded with less star power, but you don't have to have star power up front to necessarily be successful offensively here.

Interested to see if some CHL guys like Jack O'Brien, Ty Voit, Avery Hayes, Simon Motew, Bruce Montgomery, etc. make a strong play for the team. With all these guys sitting right now, it's hard to get a read on where they stand at this point.

Think there's any chance Sanderson leaves UND after a year? I would be pretty surprised by that, but I guess I shouldn't be considering his draft position.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
One wildcard is Jacob Perrault. It'll be interesting to see if USAH puts on a full-court press if he's even interested in playing for Team USA. He doesn't seem to be a Hockey Canada favorite.

It would be the merc play but he's a talented scorer. Would love to have him on the team but like you are unsure if he would entertain it.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Think there's any chance Sanderson leaves UND after a year? I would be pretty surprised by that, but I guess I shouldn't be considering his draft position.

It's possible. I would hope Ottawa leaves him at UND for a 2nd year to evolve his offense since they're not competitors anyway.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I really like the L/R D pairings, I know Team USA probably doesn’t roll with it so my team will be off... I’ll also admit that there’s a lot of people here way more in tune with the US prospects then I am so they admittedly know more than I do. With that said, this is what I’d send.

Pastujov- Beniers- Samoskevich
Duke- Bordeleau- Lucius
Berard- Smilanic- Coronato
Tuch- Slaggert- Peterson
O’Brien, Knies

Sanderson- Powell
Hughes- Faber
Kleven- Schmidt
Kaiser- Gallagher

Commesso
Tynan
Homer

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Pretty bummed that New Year's Eve game against Canada is not happening that often anymore.

Knight and Wolf were locks last year and Drew Commesso is in a similar position now. Clear favourite even things can change a lot specially with goalies. Gibson Homer has the size but the level is not there right now. Kaidan Mbereko and Homer has the advantage because of NTDP ties but what they can do next year? Problem is that they both are going to play in USHL. Then there are OHL trio Xavier Medina, Aidan Campbell and Tucker Tynan. My bet is that one of these guys are going to make it. Noah Grannan is a another long shot but it is interesting what happens next year when he is going to play for Wisconsin. Braden Holt is another dark horse but he played well last year with Everett.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tynan is the one name I thought of today that I forgot yesterday. I think he has a good chance to make the team, as long as he can rebound from that injury.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Someone pointed it out in the 2021 thread, but Leaman's earned the 2022 coaching gig again if he wants it. It would be interesting, too, because the makeup of that team will be more similar to what he's used to at Providence.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
It is likely that Leaman is doing it again but i also think it is rather sooner than later when Ted Donato leads Team USA to the WJC.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

What are the rules to players playing for a country? Is it just tracing back ancestry (I think that's how Olympic basketball was) and then committing to that country?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Pastujov - Beniers - Samoskevich
Coronato - Bordeleau - Lucius
Tuch - Peterson - Berard
Slaggert - Smilanic - Biondi
Bantle, Duke

Hughes - Sanderson
Kleven - Faber
Kaiser - Hreschuk
Moore

Commesso - Holt - Homer

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
What are the rules to players playing for a country? Is it just tracing back ancestry (I think that's how Olympic basketball was) and then committing to that country?

Citizenship, must not have represented another country yet in an IIHF event, and must have played nearly 2 years of hockey in the country in recent years. It's more complicated than that but that's the gist.

Reactions: lwvs84

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It is likely that Leaman is doing it again but i also think it is rather sooner than later when Ted Donato leads Team USA to the WJC.

The guy that Starman claims said the four best natural centers in this age group weren’t on this team. I don’t know if I want him coaching this team.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
The guy that Starman claims said the four best natural centers in this age group weren’t on this team. I don’t know if I want him coaching this team.

He already did. I don't say he is my wish for coaching job but i am sure that he is high on that list when USA Hockey thinks their options.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Cameron Berg might be another guy to keep an eye on here if he starts hot with Omaha next year. Been great with Muskegon this season.

Reactions: SK94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad