Rumor: 2022 Sabres Trade Deadline chatter

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Give me the list of which goalies you wanted.

Ullmark wanted more years and money than Adams wanted to give.

The issue is signing the college goalies. not when they are ready. You go out and get say a Gibson who has a long contract that will scare them off on signing. both are just 2 years away so you only need stop gap goalies.

Why did minnesota have to trade the college player? because he looked at the future roster and say he didnt see a chance to play top 6.

I mean:

Summer of 2020 UFAs:

Talbot, Hotlby, Markstrom, Greiss

Summer of 2021:

Trades

Hill, vanacek, Nedeljkovic, Kuemper. Kahkonen

2021 UFA:

Holtby, Freddie Anderson, Raanta, Halak, Mrazek (was fine at the time). Reimer, Bernier, Grubaur,

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
If they don't get to the floor, there could be enormous repercussions. Because I'm a team player, and would never want to see the Sabres in such a tight spot, I'll unselfishly offer to sign a 1x$8M deal for next season

I'm right there with you. Hell, sign us both for 4m in case one of us has to go on LTIR!

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Deals? There was one brokered deal. One.

I’ve gone on quite a journey with your imagiNed missteps or bad deeds by the organization over this. First accusing the Pegulas of interfering/being cheap. Then got on Adams for walking away from the one we were involved in when he didn’t. Now its.. we should have been in on all the “other brokered deals” when there was only one.

We might have missed out on a 6th round pick. or we might not of. We don’t really know, you're just assuming so. But even if we did because Adams was asking for a 5th as you posit. Do you really think it warrants being this wound up? It seems like you kept throwing things against the wall to be wound up over.
Its speculation. You speculated that the sabres werent even asked to participate in the Domi deal, which honestly is the most imaginative misstep either one of us has taken on this arduous 3-4 message journey. If you can do that, then I can speculate that we didn’t broker the domi deal because the pegulas didn’t think a 6th round pick was worth us retaining a few hundred thousand dollars.

• Haha
Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Its speculation. You speculated that the sabres werent even asked to participate in the Domi deal, which honestly is the most imaginative misstep either one of us has taken on this arduous 3-4 message journey. If you can do that, then I can speculate that we didn’t broker the domi deal because the pegulas didn’t think a 6th round pick was worth us retaining a few hundred thousand dollars.

The Sabres were in every great deal and turned them all down because Pegulas.

Reactions: elchud

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Sabres were in every great deal and turned them all down because Pegulas.

You sound like Brian Burke - he was talking about how Hextall was in on everything, even the things not involving the Penguins, yesterday. It made me laugh to think he actually believed that.

Reactions: Dingo44

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Can’t we still take on players to help other teams with their cap?

Isn’t the trade deadline only for whether you can play in playoffs?

Couldn’t we take on a Vegas salary still?? I really don’t know, just asking.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Yup, nothing stopping teams from making trades. Players traded after yesterday's deadline are simply ineligible for the playoffs.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
After mulling through it and listening to multiple Sabres related podcasts I find myself a bit on an island with my opinions on where we go from here. I’m a little disappointed we didn’t move Miller or Hino, but I also buy into Miller’s injury crippling his market and Hinostroza being a guiding piece for his current line mates Krebs and Cozens.

I don’t understand Lance Lysowski’s infatuation with UPL right now. He’s been solid, and then bad, and then spectacular, and up and down all year. He doesn’t deserve NHL games right now, let him focus on a playoff push.

I don’t care that Quinn is staying in Rochester. Again, playoff push and the kid is 20 years old, he’s a roster lock next year. Does he deserve another look? Probably, but staying longer won’t hurt him.

I don’t know what Kevyn Adams has to do get even the slightest bit of benefit of the doubt with this fanbase. We weren’t “shoring up the goalie position” at the deadline. A lot of moves we want are offseason moves. I also buy into the culture thing a little more than most, because without the absurd injury bullshit we dealt with were significantly higher in the standings, probably 10-15 points.

Just my ramblings, as coherent or incoherent they may be.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
After mulling through it and listening to multiple Sabres related podcasts I find myself a bit on an island with my opinions on where we go from here. I’m a little disappointed we didn’t move Miller or Hino, but I also buy into Miller’s injury crippling his market and Hinostroza being a guiding piece for his current line mates Krebs and Cozens.

I don’t understand Lance Lysowski’s infatuation with UPL right now. He’s been solid, and then bad, and then spectacular, and up and down all year. He doesn’t deserve NHL games right now, let him focus on a playoff push.

I don’t care that Quinn is staying in Rochester. Again, playoff push and the kid is 20 years old, he’s a roster lock next year. Does he deserve another look? Probably, but staying longer won’t hurt him.

I don’t know what Kevyn Adams has to do get even the slightest bit of benefit of the doubt with this fanbase. We weren’t “shoring up the goalie position” at the deadline. A lot of moves we want are offseason moves. I also buy into the culture thing a little more than most, because without the absurd injury bullshit we dealt with were significantly higher in the standings, probably 10-15 points.

His resume is a dead last finish and a likely bottom 5 finish. He needs to show he can build a roster, manage assets, and improve the team. Not just ship everyone off and stick to a budget.

Shipping the good players out and collecting picks/prospects is easy. We've had several GMs that have done that well.

Building a winning roster from those parts is hard. He has to prove he can succeed where others have failed.

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010

My favorite claim by people on social media is that Adams is terrible at trading because of the deadline here. Did you not just see him pull off the Risto deal? Do you like Devon Levi now? Hitting a home run with the Eichel deal is probably enough to cement his spot as one of our better GM’s in at least a while. The magnitude of getting that trade right can’t be overstated.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

No, this seems to be a popular myth. If you look through the mainboard thread, you'll see someone posted the actual rule:

The rule is not in the CBA itself, it's in a old NHL By-Laws section 12.4 on Eligibility of Players. All NHL By-Laws remain in effect unless they're replaced by new rules in the CBA. The CBA explicitly includes all NHL By-Laws in its rules.

"12.4 A player transferred from the Reserve List to the equivalent list of another Member [Team] following the [Trade Deadline] shall not be eligible to play for the transferee club during the remainder of the playing season".

The language in this old By-Law has been altered by the CBA, for instance the trade deadline is now 40 days instead of 26 days when it was first written. But the CBA has not superseded the old By-Law by saying that players transferred from one team's Reserve List to another team's Reserve List after the deadline are now eligible. So this old By-Law is still in effect.

Scott Gomez was a UFA signed after the trade deadline, so this rule wouldn't apply to him as he was not on a Reserve List. UFA's signed after the trade deadline, including college players, are eligible for the remainder of the Regular Season, but not the playoffs.

Any player that moves from one Reserve List to another Reserve List after the deadline is ineligible for the rest of the regular season. This includes Trades, Waivers, and even unsigned Draft Picks as they are on the team's Reserve List.

Also, from Capfriendly:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I am more annoyed with the lack of moves to bolster the Amerks than I am with the lack of moves of expiring contracts for picks.

I think that the Amerks making the playoffs will mean more to the Sabres and their building plan than adding some more late round picks. Moving expiring contracts for picks would mean the Sabres would need to recall guys and hurt the Amerks down the stretch. So, no moving more guys doesn't weaken the Amerks. But, I wish they would have gone out and added a player or two for the Amerks, too.

And why weren't the Sabres the team that were the 3rd team instead of Florida to help that one deal happen?
The AHL trade deadline isn't until next Monday. They can still add guys for the Amerks, including guys on NHL contracts (either through trade or loan).

Reactions: Butt Ox and Jim Bob

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I posted something similar to this earlier in the Amerks thread, but it is probably relevant here as well. Having given it some thought, here's why I think that what the Sabres did/did not do involving the Amerks is okay with me.

They only traded one player off their roster - Hagg. That means no callups needed from Rochester are needed
1. Quinn stays in Rochester
2. Peterka stays in Rochester
3. UPL stays in Rochester

They made roster moves last week for Rochester
4. They waived Jankowski and he is now on the Amerks roster
5. They signed undrafted college free agent defensemen Nate Knoepke to an ATO

They were expecting injured players back
6. Prow is back playing
7. Mersch is back playing
8. Loukas Rousek is playing after recovery from an inured knee
9. Ryan McInnis on the ice today for full practice
10.Sean Malone back on the ice today for full practice

They sent three players down to Rochester (paper moves) to enable them to be sent down to Rochester for the playoffs - should they make the playoffs
11. Fitzgerald - my guess is he'll be back in Rochester sooner rather than later
12. Samuelsson - I'm thinking he comes down when Power is signed
13. Krebs

I think they just did not need to add anything with all of the above having transpired or being set to transpire.

Edit:
14. They just signed Providence forward Kohen Olischefski to an ATO

Last edited:

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future

I think this sums up my thoughts, as well. I listened to a few podcasts. One in particular had my blood boiling with the whining over Quinn and UPL not seeing more time up in Buffalo. AHL development and playoff experience is huge when trying to rebuild a team from the ground up. I am fine with Adams decisions. Not moving Miller is my biggest gripe. Not moving Vinny is okay if the goal is to re-sign him. Same with Pysyk.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I mean:

Summer of 2020 UFAs:

Talbot, Hotlby, Markstrom, Greiss

Summer of 2021:

Trades

Hill, vanacek, Nedeljkovic, Kuemper. Kahkonen

2021 UFA:

Holtby, Freddie Anderson, Raanta, Halak, Mrazek (was fine at the time). Reimer, Bernier, Grubaur,

where did they go…to playoff teams. Others Wanted longer term, not 2 yrs.

not trading a 1st for a UFA to be goalie.

remember…it takes 2. Buffalo can’t fir e them to sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad