Rochester, NY

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The numbers behind the names: Analyzing the Trade Deadline Big Board

Depth adds

Screen-Shot-2022-02-22-at-12.11.51-PM-1.png

Colin Miller: He looked excellent in Vegas in a third-pair role, crushing soft minutes with his puck-moving ability. But that was four years ago. That ability did not manifest with the Sabres and he’s been a replaceable player ever since. It’s clear he can’t handle tougher minutes, but, at the right price, he might be worth a flier for some team’s bottom pair.

Miller was the only Sabre that they took a deep dive into.

These two made me chuckle:

Buyer beware

Rasmus Ristolainen: Much of what was said about Chiarot applies to Ristolainen. He’s big, mean and plays a lot of minutes which makes him attractive to those who don’t care that his teams rarely have the puck. He’s one of Philadelphia’s worst puck-movers and relies a lot on Travis Sanheim to get the job done there — the primary reason his relative expected goals rate is above average for the first time in his career. On a weak Flyers team, that’s not saying a lot though as he’s still getting out-chanced and out-scored badly — with a lot of the damage coming on the defensive side of the puck.

A lot of folks had a “wait-and-see him outside of Buffalo” approach to his game, but what we saw was more of the same: a player who hurts his team when he’s out there. His impact isn’t as bad as Chiarot’s, but that’s only because Chiarot is having a nightmare season in Montreal which drags his value down, while Ristolainen’s season has been more business as usual. Over the last three seasons, Ristolainen’s teams have been 0.13 expected goals per 60 worse with him on the ice — and that’s on some very bad teams. Chiarot is at minus-0.17 which is close.

The big key for both: forget expected goals. Other teams earn 56-to-57 percent of actual goals at five-on-five over the last three years against either player. Over the last two, that’s closer to 60 percent. Why would any team go out of their way for that?

Joonas Korpisalo: In the bubble, Joonas Korpisalo made two lethal offences look like the Arizona Coyotes and he’s been living off that reputation ever since. He had a .941 save percentage over nine games and saved six goals above expected.

Small sample sizes can inflate anyone’s standing and reputation, especially when the stakes are high, so let’s look at the bigger sample instead to find the truth. In 127 games before that playoff run, Korpisalo had a .908 save percentage and allowed 15.5 goals more than expected, about minus-0.12 per game. Bad, but not awful. Now imagine betting on those nine games as The Real Korpisalo and getting a sparkling .891 save percentage and minus-28 goals (!) allowed above expected over the next 51 games. Yuck.

Goalies are voodoo, but every shred of evidence suggests Korpisalo is not an upgrade over whoever your team’s guy is. There’s a chance, there’s always a chance, but it’s not a large one and not worth whatever high pick Columbus can somehow steal from another team for the privilege.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
The numbers behind the names: Analyzing the Trade Deadline Big Board

Miller was the only Sabre that they took a deep dive into.

These two made me chuckle:

Chiarot is an adequate top 6 defensemen. To me he has a lot of attributes that his current teammate David Savard had last year. He's capable in his own zone and has an okay shot from the point. I don't think he's worthy of a 1st round pick at 31. But, for a Tampa Bay, who might have a shot at a rare three peat, it might make some sense. His game is a lot more steady than Rasmus Ristolainen. In addition, Ristolainen was only 27. So there's the age thing.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
32 Thoughts: Could the Predators trade Filip Forsberg?

Man, I was looking forward to that conditional 6th that Drury was offering up.....

:sarcasm:
I like Friedman, but man, he such a tool for agents, and gm agenda's lol

Saying that if I was Drury I would be more interested in Forsberg over VO as well, But will Nashville trade him going into the playoffs? Maybe there is a big piece involved with the Rangers going back ?

In the end I think KA gets a 3rd for Miller, and couple low round pics for others like Anderson for ie

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Two different leagues. Forsberg will cost multiple major assets. Olofsson would cost one really good asset. I'm getting the feeling Olofsson's worth more to us than anything likely to be offered.
Thank you i quite agree. I doubt we get an overpayment and would like to keep him. He will be a nice complementary piece for all kids : the ones already here and the ones that will follow into the Nhl next year..... Just keep him. And try to shed some of the other more useless chattel on our roster for low picks.

That said if Vic can be packaged for a solid goalie then I might change my views

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
The idea of trading VO when his value is clearly at it's lowest possible point due to an injury that prevented him from utilizing his greatest strength unless offered a ludicrous overpay would be brain damaged Chihuahua level stupid, so I 100% expect it to happen.
I'm with you. An even swap at full value looks like a ludicrous overpay when current value is reduced. I'd consider an even swap for full value (25G, 50pt winger) in a position of need.

What is an even swap in a position of need? A strong cost-controlled RHD, first or second pair, with a defense-first orientation and leadership qualities. That pool is very limited. So I expect VO to be here at least one more year. A long-term decision can be made in 2023.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I'm with you. An even swap at full value looks like a ludicrous overpay when current value is reduced. I'd consider an even swap for full value (25G, 50pt winger) in a position of need.

What is an even swap in a position of need? A strong cost-controlled RHD, first or second pair, with a defense-first orientation and leadership qualities. That pool is very limited. So I expect VO to be here at least one more year. A long-term decision can be made in 2023.
Replying to myself. Hmm.

The other piece to weigh is that Olofsson is an original Sabres draftee who developed in our system. The are intangible positives with that.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The idea of trading VO when his value is clearly at it's lowest possible point due to an injury that prevented him from utilizing his greatest strength unless offered a ludicrous overpay would be brain damaged Chihuahua level stupid, so I 100% expect it to happen.
But why would anybody be targeting a clearly not 100% VO with a broken cannon.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Why does VO continue to play with an injury? So either they want to sell him at TDL, or VO himself wants to play because of the contract year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Probably because he's a hockey player and he would rather play through the injury at less than 100% than sit out.
But if this injury prevents him from playing normally, he is ineffective. It's strange, we're not going playoffs and it would be better if he treated his injury.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Why does VO continue to play with an injury? So either they want to sell him at TDL, or VO himself wants to play because of the contract year.
Supposedly it is a confidence issue, and not an injury issue.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Wait, we know he's had an injury and his shot doesn't look like it used to, not sure it's a confidence issue.
I'm not sure we will ever know (unless he ends up getting surgery in the offseason).

But Oloffson insists the injury isn't a problem. And this was written in The Buffalo News:

Olofsson’s postgame comments after scoring twice against the Islanders indicate that confidence, not health, has been the issue since he returned from an upper-body injury Nov. 21.
“I’ve been overthinking, especially when I get the chances,” Olofsson said. “I kind of take a second or a thought before I shoot the puck instead of just going on my instincts.”

I can't say the above is entirely accurate. Didn't Granato say the injury was impeding his shot after he returned?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm not sure we will ever know (unless he ends up getting surgery in the offseason).

But Oloffson insists the injury isn't a problem. And this was written in The Buffalo News:

I can't say the above is entirely accurate. Didn't Granato say the injury was impeding his shot after he returned?
That's a problem then, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded at TDL if Adams can get the right price. They could also retain 50%.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Granato did say it was an issue. At this point, it may be well enough or just part of the background of Olofsson's daily life that it isn't front and center. *shrug*

Whatever it is, get back to scoring and creating some 5-on-5 chances like he did to start the year and it's all good (on the scoresheet and potentially in trade value).

Reactions: Fjordy

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I've been thinking all along that we may not even have any players that other teams would want...I just don't think anyone the Sabres would make expendable would really be wanted by anyone or the return would be very little...I'm not expecting much at this deadline...Not too much KA can do here...Think we have to look to the draft and off season for any real changes.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I've been thinking all along that we may not even have any players that other teams would want...I just don't think anyone the Sabres would make expendable would really be wanted by anyone or the return would be very little...I'm not expecting much at this deadline...Not too much KA can do here...Think we have to look to the draft and off season for any real changes.
Teams would want Miller if he was healthy. Anderson would probably be our most tradable asset (with how the goalie market is) if he could play average NHL hockey.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Winner winner chicken dinner. We don’t need more 7th round draft picks or future considerations.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
That's a problem then, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded at TDL if Adams can get the right price. They could also retain 50%.
They may get a better return by taking back a bad short term contract with the other team wanting to resign VO in the off season

Reactions: Fjordy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad