Rumor: 2022 Sabres Trade Deadline chatter

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
THEY WERE ASKED

You guys are killing me. Adams said they were asked to broker a deal but the OTHER TWO TEAMS couldn’t work it out.

Not to mention Adams said several days before the deadline they were open to broker deals. Do you really think hes going to put that out there if Pegula didn’t wnat to spend money.
I know they were asked. You can broker up to three deals. He needed to have 3 other possible deals to bail on this one. Otherwise why not do this one??? He made it public he was willing to broker. He was contacted to see if he was willing to broker this deal i feel very confident about that. He chose not too. Maybe He didnt budge. But maybe he was told by ownership that we are only brokering deals if it results in a 4th round pick or higher.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That division is TIGHT

When the difference in position is measured in thousandths of a percentage point, things are nuts.

With the injuries down there and how they've struggled to play defensively, it's kind of a surprise that they haven't made any AHL-level moves yet. Though that might be why they were scouting Cleveland and Wilkes-Barre as much as they were, but with the handful of games left with Cleveland, they are in direct competition.

Belleville, Laval, and Syracuse all got new players yesterday that will help them.

Reactions: joshjull

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I know they were asked. You can broker up to three deals. He needed to have 3 other possible deals to bail on this one. Otherwise why not do this one??? He made it public he was willing to broker. He was contacted to see if he was willing to broker this deal i feel very confident about that. He chose not too. Maybe He didnt budge. But maybe he was told by ownership that we are only brokering deals if it results in a 4th round pick or higher.

It seems like the way it was presented is that the two teams couldn't come to an agreement on the trade, not that Buffalo created the impasse that nixed the deal. With how people like LeBrun love to shit on Buffalo, if it had been the case that Adams had created a roadblock in a brokered trade, we likely would be hearing all about what a terrible thing was perpetrated on others by those dastardly Sabres.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
We literally have 1 goalie under contract next year. 1. Is the plan to go with a goalie who has struggled at the AHL level and two college goalies next year? The idea that we wouldn't acquire a 25 year old netminder who under team control next year because it possibly could make the team carry 3 goalies for a few games at the end of a meaningless season?

Buffalo, under Adams, is now closing its second season of not addressing the goalie situation in a meaningful way while it was an urgent, on fire issue. Including a season he was given a win now mandate (in which under that mandate he finished dead last in the league)

I don't really think pointing to Adams most obvious failure as a GM as a failure as showing bias. Take out everything else and focus on him addressing the immediate need in goal going back to when blindy the goalie was our co-starter with sir IR a lot to signing a 40+ year old goalie to start who played 3 games last season.

It's been an unmitigated disaster. Even the biggest Adams fanboy has to see that.

what do you call the trade of Reinhart returning Levi?

Buffalo also has Portillo as a prospect

these are both college players. You go out and acquire a long term goalie they won’t sign If they can be free agents

what goalie would you go after?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Right in my post.……. “Adams said they were asked to broker a deal but the OTHER TWO TEAMS couldn’t work it out…”

We didn’t walk away.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It seems like the way it was presented is that the two teams couldn't come to an agreement on the trade, not that Buffalo created the impasse that nixed the deal. With how people like LeBrun love to shit on Buffalo, if it had been the case that Adams had created a roadblock in a brokered trade, we likely would be hearing all about what a terrible thing was perpetrated on others by those dastardly Sabres.
Its was really brought into focus during the Eichel saga how much many in the national press dislikes or even outright hates Buffalo.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I guess what im saying is it shouldn’t preclude them from being the broker in deals we know happened just because the “big one” fell through. If i had to take a guess KA asked for more than a 6th to broker the Domi deal and carolina/cbj found florida who would. But they probably called the Sabres first and other salary capped blessed teams to do the deal first before florida

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Its was really brought into focus during the Eichel saga how much many in the national press dislikes. or even outright hates Buffalo.

I find Lebrun seems to actively try to shape opinion on things in the most anti-Buffalo light of all of the big "insiders". Most of dudebro hockey culture seems to not like Buffalo based on the festering asscracks at Spittin' Chicklets. Some of the others are at least veiled in how much they don't like it, though I remember Rachel Doerrie, now of the Canucks analytics department, going off about how Buffalo was evil for holding Jack Eichel hostage. She was saying that publically right before she was hired to work in Vancouver. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: joshjull

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I guess what im saying is it shouldn’t preclude them from being the broker in deals we know happened just because the “big one” fell through. If i had to take a guess KA asked for more than a 6th to broker the Domi deal and carolina/cbj found florida who would.

Oh, I get that they could've made themselves available and it doesn't seem odd to think with his comments about not settling for less than HIS asking price on any of his players that Adams may have set the bar at what last year's brokerage fee was (a 4th rounder) and that may have put teams off from including him outright. Not that it happened and with only one brokered deal that involved a couple of teams that have a history of flipping some players around in Carolina and Florida, that seemed like an established working relationship at play. Since there weren't any other needed cap deals made or rumored to having been made, we can't really point the finger at Buffalo for that being so. Like I said, someone like Lebrun would be actively squatting on Sabre Nation if there was even the remotest hint of the Sabres having caused a snag in a brokered deal.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Your two examples, Ullmark and Eichel, worked out very well for Adams imo, so if those are your red flags, I'm not too worried.

Do you really want Ullmark's contract? Did you even want it the day it was signed? Hard to believe missing out on Ullmark is a sign that he has a f*** off attitude. I generally don't comment or have an opinion on Adams yet, but I gotta say, you make a pretty weak case that folks should be worried about him.

The jury is still out on the Eichel deal. How exactly did Ullmark work out "well" for us.

Last season he was good...when he was healthy. Which was a known issue. And rather than use him as a rental to get more futures, Adams decided to keep him to sign him. He then wasted an expansion slot on him, which we could have used to go after a goalie under contract. And then after all that, shocker of shock, he walks.

Adams had an opportunity to extract value from Ullmark, he declined to. And to make matters worse, he wasted a goalie protection slot on him while a pending UFA.

Nothing about Ullmark worked out well for us. Just wasted assets for a guy who didn't want to sign here.
what do you call the trade of Reinhart returning Levi?

Buffalo also has Portillo as a prospect

these are both college players. You go out and acquire a long term goalie they won’t sign If they can be free agents

what goalie would you go after?

Goaltending has been an IMMEDIATE need under Adams as long as he has been here. Levi is a prospect and 2-3 years away from being a NHL starter when the trade was made.

You want the list of all the goalies that have been moved since Adams signed on as GM? Because that is the list of goalies that would be an upgrade to a 41 year old goalie and career AHL journeyman.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Oh, I get that they could've made themselves available and it doesn't seem odd to think with his comments about not settling for less than HIS asking price on any of his players that Adams may have set the bar at what last year's brokerage fee was (a 4th rounder) and that may have put teams off from including him outright. Not that it happened and with only one brokered deal that involved a couple of teams that have a history of flipping some players around in Carolina and Florida, that seemed like an established working relationship at play. Since there weren't any other needed cap deals made or rumored to having been made, we can't really point the finger at Buffalo for that being so. Like I said, someone like Lebrun would be actively squatting on Sabre Nation if there was even the remotest hint of the Sabres having caused a snag in a brokered deal.
I still don’t get the Panthers helping a rival for such small compensation.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Still can't believe Adams signed Eakin for a 4th line role over Larsson. I know some think (hope) that was a Ralph move, but as a GM I would've had a hard time agreeing with my coach that we should breakup the one great defensive and pesty lines we had, but I digress. The TDL gave me one more reason to complain about it since Larsson fetched a 3rd round pick.

I dont think Adams was in full control of moves. I think Pegula was saying for Adams to just do what Kruger asks. Now he is in control of the team.

If you traded off players youd be calling up Rochester players taking away from the team.

I am more annoyed with the lack of moves to bolster the Amerks than I am with the lack of moves of expiring contracts for picks.

I think that the Amerks making the playoffs will mean more to the Sabres and their building plan than adding some more late round picks. Moving expiring contracts for picks would mean the Sabres would need to recall guys and hurt the Amerks down the stretch. So, no moving more guys doesn't weaken the Amerks. But, I wish they would have gone out and added a player or two for the Amerks, too.

And why weren't the Sabres the team that were the 3rd team instead of Florida to help that one deal happen?
by not calling up Peterka/Quinn bolsters the Amerks

they likely send Fitzgerald down there
Samuelson goes down when Power is signed

the team would finish

Dahlin-Pysyk
Byson-Joki
Power-Miller
Butcher
It just seems weird since Florida doesn't seem like a team swimming in cap space.

It's almost like KA slept through the day yesterday.
Florida LTIR Ekblad which is $8M
they aquired Hagg at full value
that left them $6m to try and acquire someone. they werent available so he opted use the LTIR space to retain salary.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
he might have been looking at the 1+ yr left market---not the UFA market ---to help get to the floor next year.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Its was really brought into focus during the Eichel saga how much many in the national press dislikes or even outright hates Buffalo.

Bulletin board material. Spite is a huge motivator. "Everyone hates us. Everyone wants to see us fail. So we kicked (insert team's) asses. If they're going to hate us, we'll give them a reason."

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The jury is still out on the Eichel deal. How exactly did Ullmark work out "well" for us.

Last season he was good...when he was healthy. Which was a known issue. And rather than use him as a rental to get more futures, Adams decided to keep him to sign him. He then wasted an expansion slot on him, which we could have used to go after a goalie under contract. And then after all that, shocker of shock, he walks.

Adams had an opportunity to extract value from Ullmark, he declined to. And to make matters worse, he wasted a goalie protection slot on him while a pending UFA.

Nothing about Ullmark worked out well for us. Just wasted assets for a guy who didn't want to sign here.

Goaltending has been an IMMEDIATE need under Adams as long as he has been here. Levi is a prospect and 2-3 years away from being a NHL starter when the trade was made.

You want the list of all the goalies that have been moved since Adams signed on as GM? Because that is the list of goalies that would be an upgrade to a 41 year old goalie and career AHL journeyman.
Give me the list of which goalies you wanted.

Ullmark wanted more years and money than Adams wanted to give.

The issue is signing the college goalies. not when they are ready. You go out and get say a Gibson who has a long contract that will scare them off on signing. both are just 2 years away so you only need stop gap goalies.

Why did minnesota have to trade the college player? because he looked at the future roster and say he didnt see a chance to play top 6.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Okay, nothing terrible happened and thanks for that. I just hope that in the offseason Adams will think not only about the chemistry of the team and the good guys in the dressing room, but also about quality players, we don't need bad players even if they have a good effect on the dressing room.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I think if anybody was offering a 4th for Miller you make that trade.

I dont think anybody was offering a 4th for Miller.

I'm fine keeping Hino and Pysyk and Tokarski and Anderson.

Butcher and Eakin had no trade value.

Surprised we couldn't take on some salary but those kind of trades probably come together quickly and once they are in motion to team saving salary probably wants to close the deal ASAP. That we weren't in those loops is disappointing. Chalk it up to bad luck, timing, KA being a noob, who knows.

Am glad that no bad trades were made.

Most boring trade deadline day that I can ever remember. Nice to see some stability. Stay the course trust the plan

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I guess what im saying is it shouldn’t preclude them from being the broker in deals we know happened just because the “big one” fell through. If i had to take a guess KA asked for more than a 6th to broker the Domi deal and carolina/cbj found florida who would. But they probably called the Sabres first and other salary capped blessed teams to do the deal first before florida
Deals? There was one brokered deal. One.

I’ve gone on quite a journey with your imagiNed missteps or bad deeds by the organization over this. First accusing the Pegulas of interfering/being cheap. Then got on Adams for walking away from the one we were involved in when he didn’t. Now its.. we should have been in on all the “other brokered deals” when there was only one.

We might have missed out on a 6th round pick. or we might not of. We don’t really know, you're just assuming so. But even if we did because Adams was asking for a 5th as you posit. Do you really think it warrants being this wound up? It seems like you kept throwing things against the wall to be wound up over.

Reactions: Jim Bob

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Getting to the floor is not an issue, and it never will be.
If they don't get to the floor, there could be enormous repercussions. Because I'm a team player, and would never want to see the Sabres in such a tight spot, I'll unselfishly offer to sign a 1x$8M deal for next season

• Haha
Reactions: sabres4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad