Red Sox/MLB 2022 Regular Season VII: Red Sox eliminated from playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Tough for me to complain about John Henry Red Sox after growing up under Yawkey/Yawkey Estste Red Sox

It’s actually hilarious listening to this

The park was falling apart the franchise racist and then cheap

I’m stoked they came in last - the foundation is in place and mistakes are opportunities to learn and I’m on that side

The bummer was JD had a 25 homer year and didn’t opt out and they retain Schwarber

Anyone calling the Dalbec crash and burn to me is full of shit - not buying

The Farm is legit

Take out the 3-16 vs Toronto and they have pretty much same record as Toronto

Losing 1/3 of these games vs East Looks good

Bogearts sounds signed

Going 8/225

Reactions: McGarnagle

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They’ll have about $85 mill to play with

40 to judge, 25 to Xander, $20 mill to add a starter and reliever

PROFIT

Reactions: Mione134

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Tough for me to complain about John Henry Red Sox after growing up under Yawkey/Yawkey Estste Red Sox

I’m stoked they came in last - the foundation is in place and mistakes are opportunities to learn and I’m on that side

The bummer was JD had a 25 homer year and didn’t opt out and they retain Schwarber

The Farm is legit

Bogearts sounds signed

Going 8/225
You make my golf swing a pro level type I would be on the PGA Tour. However we all live in reality. They did go 3-16 vs Toronto and sucked this year.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

The Farm is legit

Bogearts sounds signed

Going 8/225

More than once I called Dalbec the worst Red Sox hitter I ever saw. Last year.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

The Farm is legit

Bogearts sounds signed

Going 8/225

Ok, we all thank John Henry and Co for what they have done but the fact is 2022 FSG ownership has nowhere near the same goals or love for the Sox as 2003 John Henry did. The Red Sox aren't his baby anymore, they are a line item on a balance sheet and it has showed the last few years.

The farm is overrated and frankly Dalbec's career is a crash and burn. From year 1 to 3 his OPS+ dropped from 149 to 79, slg% from .600 to .367, BA from .263 to .219, OPS from .959 to .648

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
JWH and friends paid $660 million for the team, the real estate, and NESN in 2002 - it is now worth $3.9 BILLION. I do not want them to whimper about the tax again.

Fenway Sports Group is worried about Liverpool as they have been sluggish out of the gate - They need to finish in the EPL Top 4 to qualify for the UEFA Champions League and that is megabucks.
The reason to get upset about going over the tax this year has nothing to do with saving John Henry a few bucks. It has to do with the downgrade in draft picks and the potential loss of bonus pool money down the road for a team that wasn't competitive.

Liverpool is not going to finish behind Brighton, Newcastle, or Fulham. And they probably won't finish behind Manchester United, either. They had a slow start - they're still one of the three most talented clubs in England, and one of the 10 most talented clubs in all of Europe.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
The reason to get upset about going over the tax this year has nothing to do with saving John Henry a few bucks. It has to do with the downgrade in draft picks and the potential loss of bonus pool money down the road for a team that wasn't competitive.

Liverpool is not going to finish behind Brighton, Newcastle, or Fulham. And they probably won't finish behind Manchester United, either. They had a slow start - they're still one of the three most talented clubs in England, and one of the 10 most talented clubs in all of Europe.
Either way you look at it going over the tax and finishing last is really bad.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
if the finale is played, Pivetta will start at 4:15, They weren't confident that last night's weather would leave Boston, in facr some sources are saying it's raining here as I type this post....

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Did Eck get any kind of send off or were they waiting for today? Maybe a tribute video from a-hole David Price.

The Red Sox farm might be properly rated but I think it lacks the star potential overall. We certainly don't want to brag about Winckowski, Seabold etc.

Why on earth would Don Orsillo leave San Diego? Better team, better place to live.

Top 10 farm system but it’s overrated. LMAO
You do realize that the word overrated means someone thinks it shouldn't be rated that high, right? So the #1 ranked system could be overrated depending on who is evaluating it.

Anyway, get this season over so we can start in on Chaim Bloom's make or break season as GM coming up.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

The Farm is legit

Bogearts sounds signed

Going 8/225

Yeah, I've said it before. I find Henry, Werner, and Lucchino personally repugnant, but I'll take 4 WS in 18 years any day of the week, especially after growing up watching Dan Duquette's dysfunctional teams. For those of you who are old enough to have been burned by 1986, 1978, etc. would probably agree that by 2004 Hitler could've been the owner of the team and we'd be okay with it as long as they broke the curse.

Sox are in good shape going forward. The division is going to be super competitive for a long time here, but our farm is good, we have some resources to spend. The biggest factor is going to be what the CBT threshold is set at and how much it rises with inflation. It jumped to $230 this year, if in two years it goes upward of $270 or $280 the Sox might be able to navigate staying under it by committing to long term deals now with Devers and Bogaerts or a FA like Judge. Next year's payroll is unimportant but the third time offender bill is huge so they'll need to reset.

Reactions: sarge88

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Eck said the Sox wanted to do a tribute but he declined. He doesn't want all the fanfare.

That said. He kept getting choked up the other night. I'm gonna miss him in the booth
:(
they mentioned it the abbreviated postgame last night... O'Brien hinted at it as well..... Orsillo did send a tribute via Twitter but in regards to that it opens the question if the Bally Sports deal collapses whether it's sold or goes the way of NBCSN how does that affect a market like San Diego as compared to New England

Reactions: Mione134

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Either way you look at it going over the tax and finishing last is really bad.
Agreed.

I would have sold at the deadline. Someone made the decision that a 20% chance at a Wild Card spot at the deadline was worth fighting for. I don't think Bloom could make that decision on his own, but either way, the Red Sox aren't a team that should be satisfied with just making the playoffs. They need to consistently be focused on winning the World Series, and there are a lot of pieces on this team that could have been sold off that I can't imagine being part of the next Red Sox World Series winners.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08 and CDJ

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Nevin taking a 1-year deal says a lot about his lack of prospects as a manager and the Angels confidence in him.

And the Angels offering a 1 year deal says a lot about their lack of prospects for attracting a good manager on the market this winter

It's basically "Alright, let's get through one season without any scandals or any 12 game losing streaks despite having 2 of the top 5 players in the entire sport and then we can convince a hotshot manager to come here". Arte Moreno can't sell them fast enough. That franchise needs an entire rebrand. Should make their city connect jerseys the permanent home ones TBQH.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
And the Angels offering a 1 year deal says a lot about their lack of prospects for attracting a good manager on the market this winter

It's basically "Alright, let's get through one season without any scandals or any 12 game losing streaks despite having 2 of the top 5 players in the entire sport and then we can convince a hotshot manager to come here". Arte Moreno can't sell them fast enough. That franchise needs an entire rebrand. Should make their city connect jerseys the permanent home ones TBQH.
Good points, and there’s a lot of speculation that Ohtani will be dealt. Tougher sell in recruiting a quality manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad