Red Sox/MLB 2022 Regular Season VII: Red Sox eliminated from playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Trading Raffy D would have to be an absolute haul, like a Juan Soto kind of trade for it to work. It also leaves us highly imbalanced in the lineup with right-handed batters. And then who's 3B? Arroyo or Downs? Dare we put Bobby there full time?

I've been banging the sign Judge drum for a while, and Xander coming back long term is fine by me (but if I had to choose between X and Raffy it's Raffy every day).

Kike
Xander
Judge
Casas
Hosmer
Doogie
Story
Arroyo
McGuire

It's alright.

Edit: nm, Why do I keep thinking Casas is RHB?

And as much as it could be good asset management in a vacuum, Bloom and the ownership would have to have brass balls to trade off another homegrown all-star (and potential HOF talent) 3 years after Mookie.

Would for sure have to be a haul, it won’t approach what Soto got unless there’s an extension negotiating window involved. And even then Soto is the better hitter.

Second half of the season removed the “untouchable/must-extend” from my mind in regards to Devers. They were still trying for a playoff spot for a little bit there and he ended up putting up a .250/.325/.392 in the 2nd half, and his defense degraded over the course of the season. I think I’d be more comfortable giving Judge a massive contract tbh, they’re both probably DH’s in the next 3 years but Judge is obviously the better hitter. I used to say blank check but now if he wants something like 10/300 I’m more skeptical about giving it to him. The defensive metrics falling off after some first half improvement was unfortunate.

My idea for 3B would be sign Longoria for short and cheap. Play a combo of him/Arroyo/Enmanuel Valdez there if he can fake it enough defensively. Then move Bogaerts over there when Mayer is ready.

In this scenario we:

Add to our pitching staff through the Devers deal

Don’t lose Bogaerts for nothing

Upgrade the lineup and the OF

Still have money to upgrade

Would sting but if they plan on using the money earmarked for Devers on elite talent then people really shouldn’t care.

Reactions: McGarnagle

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Would for sure have to be a haul, it won’t approach what Soto got unless there’s an extension negotiating window involved. And even then Soto is the better hitter.

Second half of the season removed the “untouchable/must-extend” from my mind in regards to Devers. They were still trying for a playoff spot for a little bit there and he ended up putting up a .250/.325/.392 in the 2nd half, and his defense degraded over the course of the season. I think I’d be more comfortable giving Judge a massive contract tbh, they’re both probably DH’s in the next 3 years but Judge is obviously the better hitter. I used to say blank check but now if he wants something like 10/300 I’m more skeptical about giving it to him. The defensive metrics falling off after some first half improvement was unfortunate.

My idea for 3B would be sign Longoria for short and cheap. Play a combo of him/Arroyo/Enmanuel Valdez there if he can fake it enough defensively. Then move Bogaerts over there when Mayer is ready.

In this scenario we:

Would sting but if they plan on using the money earmarked for Devers on elite talent then people really shouldn’t care.
Devers' second half was less than great, but remember this factor for next year: the shift is being banned
1664915546743.png

Reactions: CDJ

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Why did it feel like the regular season ended 5 days ago? And when does it end? I'm so confused.

I'd rather have 5-game WC instead of a dragging reg. season way into October when everything's already pretty much set.

In this scenario we:

Yes, Devers shouldn't be untouchable. He would absolutely get you a huge return (pitching). He's a true elite player with the bat, but on the defensive end he's below average. I like him, but everyone has a price.

Judge is also a great player with the bat, but I wouldn't want to give him that contract. Not even the Yankees are willing to do that. Signing DH-only (or soon to be) is not smart, not Bloom. Teams cannot afford to have DH-only players anymore unless they are named David Ortiz or prime JD Martinez. If the Sox were to continue to play second or third fiddle to the other AL east competitors in the near future (and the O's surging with a ridiculously good farm), you'd regret having an aging and injury prone Judge on the team for forever.

They should have been sellers at the DL, so the shop has sailed. Bogarts shouldn't be re-signed IMO. His D will not age well, bat doesn't play at 3B and Story needs to be put at his natural position to get most value out of him.

No matter what, I demand Bloom to get creative this off-season. I was kind of disappointed last off-season, especially signing Store late (even though they didn't dramatically overpay) and going over the DL for a team that not many had faith in. I never thought they had the inside track against the likes of NYY, TOR or even the TBR.

They obviously need to go out and invest money. But I'd stay away from these 7-8-9 year deals. I'd rather overpay someone on a short term deal. For example Justin Verlander for 2/80.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Devers' second half was less than great, but remember this factor for next year: the shift is being banned
View attachment 590815
He may hit .400 next year lol

I'd rather have 5-game WC instead of a dragging reg. season way into October when everything's already pretty much set.

Yes, Devers shouldn't be untouchable. He would absolutely get you a huge return (pitching). He's a true elite player with the bat, but on the defensive end he's below average. I like him, but everyone has a price.

Judge is also a great player with the bat, but I wouldn't want to give him that contract. Not even the Yankees are willing to do that. Signing DH-only (or soon to be) is not smart, not Bloom. Teams cannot afford to have DH-only players anymore unless they are named David Ortiz or prime JD Martinez. If the Sox were to continue to play second or third fiddle to the other AL east competitors in the near future (and the O's surging with a ridiculously good farm), you'd regret having an aging and injury prone Judge on the team for forever.

They should have been sellers at the DL, so the shop has sailed. Bogarts shouldn't be re-signed IMO. His D will not age well, bat doesn't play at 3B and Story needs to be put at his natural position to get most value out of him.

No matter what, I demand Bloom to get creative this off-season. I was kind of disappointed last off-season, especially signing Store late (even though they didn't dramatically overpay) and going over the DL for a team that not many had faith in. I never thought they had the inside track against the likes of NYY, TOR or even the TBR.

They obviously need to go out and invest money. But I'd stay away from these 7-8-9 year deals. I'd rather overpay someone on a short term deal. For example Justin Verlander for 2/80.
Definitely understand that preference too- what I will say is that I don’t think Story will be playing SS. They may be concerned about how his arm will hold up there and his arm didn’t grade out too well this season. Plus his defense at 2B will be quite valuable with the shift ban. If Bogaerts isn’t back then I think you’ll see them sign another SS

I think Bloom has to compete for a playoff spot next year and if he doesn’t he’ll probably be out of a job knowing ownership. I think we’ll see moves that don’t sell out the future but that also reflect the desire to be competitive next season.

Reactions: McGarnagle

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I may also be too quick to label Judge as a DH in 3 years- he’s legitimately one of the best defensive RF’ers in baseball. I think Devers will be a DH first. Judge is just huge so we assume the wear and tear may catch up eventually but there hasn’t been any indication of that

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If the Sox ever signed Judge you'll see me do the biggest 180 in history on why he's exactly the guy you give a monster deal to. I will talk myself into it so quickly I will travel back in time.
3 months ago I was like f*** that he’s gonna age poorly, now I’m like let him pop 65 here for one season out of 8 plz thank you

Reactions: Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Judge signing here would offset all the Johnny Damon aka Judas feelings I've had all these years (justified or unjustified)

It would feel fantastic.

And he'd hit so many home runs here. A pipe dream but a fun one indeed.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Read a Q+A with Bloom from the Globe. Going over the tax this year because they didn't do enough to offload guys at deadline was a colossal blunder. Going over the tax on a last place team. Awful management.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Read a Q+A with Bloom from the Globe. Going over the tax this year because they didn't do enough to offload guys at deadline was a colossal blunder. Going over the tax on a last place team. Awful management.
It made no sense at the time and turned out just like I expected.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
You exceeded the luxury-tax threshold and will finish in last place. How can that happen?

“We know how it happened and we knew when we made the decisions we did at the trade deadline [not to trade Nate Eovaldi or J.D. Martinez] that there was a possibility it could go this way.

“In hindsight, sitting here and looking at that, it’s obviously something we’d want to change. Like I said at the time, we felt fortunate to have the backing [from ownership] to be able to prioritize trying to accomplish both goals of staying in the race and improving the organization without prioritizing the luxury tax.”

The Sox have numerous issues they need to address both on and off the field.

JWH and friends paid $660 million for the team, the real estate, and NESN in 2002 - it is now worth $3.9 BILLION. I do not want them to whimper about the tax again.

They seem to have accepted the reality that 33,000 is a sellout and only a handful of games will fans accept paying to sit in the Gate B wasteland of RF to get the attendance to 37-38,000.

NESN faces a huge challenge with Eck retiring. I expect Massarotti will get more games but there is a strong push from major advertisers to get Orsillo back.

The NESN/Xfinity squabble is at an impasse. Xfinity WILL NOT offer NESN 4K and even refuses to allow NESN 360 to be an approved app on X1 boxes.

Fenway Sports Group is worried about Liverpool as they have been sluggish out of the gate - They need to finish in the EPL Top 4 to qualify for the UEFA Champions League and that is megabucks.

1664954147277.png

:popcorn:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You exceeded the luxury-tax threshold and will finish in last place. How can that happen?

“We know how it happened and we knew when we made the decisions we did at the trade deadline [not to trade Nate Eovaldi or J.D. Martinez] that there was a possibility it could go this way.

“In hindsight, sitting here and looking at that, it’s obviously something we’d want to change. Like I said at the time, we felt fortunate to have the backing [from ownership] to be able to prioritize trying to accomplish both goals of staying in the race and improving the organization without prioritizing the luxury tax.”

The Sox have numerous issues they need to address both on and off the field.

JWH and friends paid $660 million for the team, the real estate, and NESN in 2002 - it is now worth $3.9 BILLION. I do not want them to whimper about the tax again.

They seem to have accepted the reality that 33,000 is a sellout and only a handful of games will fans accept paying to sit in the Gate B wasteland of RF to get the attendance to 37-38,000.

NESN faces a huge challenge with Eck retiring. I expect Massarotti will get more games but there is a strong push from major advertisers to get Orsillo back.

The NESN/Xfinity squabble is at an impasse. Xfinity WILL NOT offer NESN 4K and even refuses to allow NESN 360 to be an approved app on X1 boxes.

Fenway Sports Group is worried about Liverpool as they have been sluggish out of the gate - They need to finish in the EPL Top 4 to qualify for the UEFA Champions League and that is megabucks.

View attachment 590930

:popcorn:
A strong push to bring Orsillo back you say?

BACK UP THE BRINKS TRUCK GIVE HIM RAFFYS MONEY

Reactions: N o o d l e s
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad