Red Sox/MLB 2022 Regular Season VII: Red Sox eliminated from playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Releasing a backup catcher in order to give a prospect some opportunity to get live MLB at-bats so he can develop at this level is not the end of the world.

If Wong doesn't develop, Kevin Plaweckis are a dime a dozen on the FA market.

It will be dependent on how Wong develops both at the plate and behind it. I hope that Varitek can help in the second department. That said, I'm not impressed at all with his first stretch of games in the bigs so far.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
The problem with the Kevin Plawecki decision

This team is in full revolt against Chaim Bloom and I fear it will only be worse once the most likely inevitable of Bloom and Werner letting Bogaerts go for nothing happens which will cause Devers to want to walk as well.

While I have not much in the way of issues of Plawecki being let go, and there are others on here who feel the same way as well, the problem is that disrupting the chemistry in the clubhouse time after time be it letting Schwarber walk or dumping Renfroe for nothing prospects and overrated gadget outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr clearly has angered this team. If Bogaerts and Devers go, I could see it becoming too untenable for Bloom to stay. Regardless of what plan the Red Sox have. This statement in particular from Rich Hill is disconcerting and may force the Red Sox to think twice this upcoming offseason.

1663509078121.png

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I think the other thing to be concerned about this is that if the Red Sox don't sign Bogaerts after giving that money to Story, the race angle could come into play again with this team. That the Red Sox as an organization view Hispanic and African American players like disposable assets and that they don't have to pay them and are more willing to pay white players from other teams instead. While we know that's not true and it is more of a case of the team being cheap and not paying homegrown talent of all walks of life what they are worth, that won't change the possible perception among media analysts, agents, and most of all potential free agents as well as players currently in the Red Sox system. Maybe I am reading something that won't be there, but considering how most of the big name Red Sox players who have left recently are either African American or Hispanic due to the Red Sox not wanting to pay them on top of this team's checkered past thanks to Tom Yawkey...I don't know. Looks extremely sketch and the Red Sox can't afford a PR hit like that.

One thing working in the Sox favor is that Aaron Judge, a player from a rival team in the Yankees, has been heavily talking up Boston a lot. So...who knows. If the Sox sign him that could nip that in the bud before it becomes a talking point. But again, maybe this is just my paranoia speaking.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think the other thing to be concerned about this is that if the Red Sox don't sign Bogaerts after giving that money to Story, the race angle could come into play again with this team. That the Red Sox as an organization view Hispanic and African American players like disposable assets and that they don't have to pay them and are more willing to pay white players from other teams instead. While we know that's not true and it is more of a case of the team being cheap and not paying homegrown talent of all walks of life what they are worth, that won't change the possible perception among media analysts, agents, and most of all potential free agents as well as players currently in the Red Sox system. Maybe I am reading something that won't be there, but considering how most of the big name Red Sox players who have left recently are either African American or Hispanic due to the Red Sox not wanting to pay them on top of this team's checkered past thanks to Tom Yawkey...I don't know. Looks extremely sketch and the Red Sox can't afford a PR hit like that.

One thing working in the Sox favor is that Aaron Judge, a player from a rival team in the Yankees, has been heavily talking up Boston a lot. So...who knows. If the Sox sign him that could nip that in the bud before it becomes a talking point. But again, maybe this is just my paranoia speaking.

Like the Bradley for Renfroe trade?

It's not 1976 anymore.

The problem with the Kevin Plawecki decision

This team is in full revolt against Chaim Bloom and I fear it will only be worse once the most likely inevitable of Bloom and Werner letting Bogaerts go for nothing happens which will cause Devers to want to walk as well.

While I have not much in the way of issues of Plawecki being let go, and there are others on here who feel the same way as well, the problem is that disrupting the chemistry in the clubhouse time after time be it letting Schwarber walk or dumping Renfroe for nothing prospects and overrated gadget outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr clearly has angered this team. If Bogaerts and Devers go, I could see it becoming too untenable for Bloom to stay. Regardless of what plan the Red Sox have. This statement in particular from Rich Hill is disconcerting and may force the Red Sox to think twice this upcoming offseason.

View attachment 585608

Statement makes no reference to management.

He's a great player?

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Like the Bradley for Renfroe trade?

It's not 1976 anymore.

Do you think that matters to the vultures in the media? I'm not saying that's what it is. I am saying that's how the media will run with it and ownership don't want that narrative. They have done everything to fight back that narrative since they bought it from Gene Yawkey.

Statement makes no reference to management.

He's a great player?

Eovaldi made more clear comments about management than Hill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Yikes.

Reactions: McGarnagle

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This has really rattled some of the calls to Mazz’s baseball show (is it still The Baseball Reporters?).

How could they do this to Kevin. The man has a family!!!!!
Watching MLB Network with former GM Dan ODowd and mark DeRosa

I agree with them on this which goes against some

Trust is most important component of a relationship and being a GM or manager of a team is a relationship

I wouldn’t have done what Bloom did and I like him and support him but it was a douche move

This may cost him dearly it goes beyond the bsck of a baseball card

Time will tell but major F up in my world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad