Celtics/NBA 2022 Playoffs Part 2: Round 2: Celtics (2) vs. Milwaukee (3) MIL Leads 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I’m not sure you can have a worst final minute of play an in NBA game than Marcus Smart did tonight

Celtics were up 105-102 with the ball and would go on to have 4 more possessions

1) Marcus smart turnover with 49 seconds left off the Giannis steal.

2) Tatum free throws

3) Marcus smart blocked by holiday on a layup

4) Marcus smart turnover on holiday steal

End of game. Marcus Smarts 3 turnovers in 49 seconds resulted in 5 points for Milwaukee.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Big Smart fan but historical choke/loss

You can’t lose to Milwaukee without Middleton playing even with Rob Williams out

They are done

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I’m not sure you can have a worst final minute of play an in NBA game than Marcus Smart did tonight

Celtics were up 105-102 with the ball and would go on to have 4 more possessions

1) Marcus smart turnover with 49 seconds left off the Giannis steal.

2) Tatum free throws

3) Marcus smart blocked by holiday on a layup

4) Marcus smart turnover on holiday steal

End of game. Marcus Smarts 3 turnovers in 49 seconds resulted in 5 points for Milwaukee.
Can they improve on Smart in the off season? He is a role-player who tries to play above his talent level with tragicomic results. The option are basically Malcolm Brogdon, Mike Conley or Ricky Rubio-though last I read he wants to stay withe Cavs. Does not look good, but with White here, there must be a good part-time option out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oates2Neely

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Just in this series, they are a better team without Rob Williams on the floor. He's being hunted by Giannis on defense and he clogs up the paint and can't shoot on offense. 98 points in the paint in the 2 games without him and 76 in 3 games with him, Bucks can't just camp the paint like they have when RW is out there if everyone on the floor can shoot and they would be 2-0 if they didn't play like the 2021 celtics in the 4th quarter. Unless they win the next 2 that loss is going to sting just as bad as game 7 against the Blues, as besides Milwaukee i like how they matchup against the rest of the teams still in the playoffs.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Can they improve on Smart in the off season? He is a role-player who tries to play above his talent level with tragicomic results. The option are basically Malcolm Brogdon, Mike Conley or Ricky Rubio-though last I read he wants to stay withe Cavs. Does not look good, but with White here, there must be a good part-time option out there.
Been telling you guys about Smart for years. Thought he may have turned the corner this year, just to implode in the biggest moment

Reactions: Oates2Neely

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
Just in this series, they are a better team without Rob Williams on the floor. He's being hunted by Giannis on defense and he clogs up the paint and can't shoot on offense. 98 points in the paint in the 2 games without him and 76 in 3 games with him, Bucks can't just camp the paint like they have when RW is out there if everyone on the floor can shoot and they would be 2-0 if they didn't play like the 2021 celtics in the 4th quarter. Unless they win the next 2 that loss is going to sting just as bad as game 7 against the Blues, as besides Milwaukee i like how they matchup against the rest of the teams still in the playoffs.
I agree, getting past Giannis was going to be the most difficult hurdle. Still upset this morning about the loss....may sting for a long time unless there is banner 18 in the next few years.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
They're not done. I don't care how bad that loss was last night. Ime and the group take that on the chin. They know they squandered an opportunity. They're mad at themselves. You should fully expect them to win the next game. And that's what I'm doing.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Game 5 in the second of a basketball game vs a game 7 at home for a championship is equaling stinging for you?

You are obvious a much bigger C's fan than a Bruin one.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
They're not done. I don't care how bad that loss was last night. Ime and the group take that on the chin. They know they squandered an opportunity. They're mad at themselves. You should fully expect them to win the next game. And that's what I'm doing.
Me too, I have taken a lot of deep breaths this morning.....lol

Reactions: Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Me too, I have taken a lot of deep breaths this morning.....lol

A decent night's sleep can do wonders for reflection 🤣

I went to sleep not angry, just disappointed in the squandered opportunity. But hey, the Celtics never make it "easy" on themselves. It not like we're being blown out here. Losses by a small margin. Regroup and attack. I expect an all out assault game 6. That's all I'm focused on. I expect a win. I'm sure they do too.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Hard to gag away a real shot at a title by losing Game 5 in the second round, so kudos to the Celtics for doing something something impossible difficult.
Aren't they kinda proving they never really had a real shot at the title

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

By Dan Shaughnessy Globe Staff,Updated May 11, 2022, 10:10 p.m.

It is almost beyond comprehension.

It appeared certain the Celtics had this one. We saw 48 minutes of blood and thunder basketball between two worthy teams and there were electric moments in our fabled gym joint. There seemed to be no doubt the Celtics would take a 3-2 series lead back to Milwaukee with a chance to close things out and advance to the conference Finals.

The Celtics led by 14 in the fourth quarter. They led by 6 with 2:12 to go when Ageless Al Horford threw down a dunk after a Jaylen Brown miss.

And then the defending world champions showed you what they are made of and took back the night, beating the Celtics, 110-107, in what is surely one of the toughest losses in Boston sports lore.

In Boston-speak, this was a wicked blown opportunity. It belongs right down there with some of the stuff that always happened to the Bambino Curse Red Sox. It was a little like watching the Yankees come back after Pedro Martinez took a 5-2 lead into the eighth with a chance to win the American League pennant.

Please, let’s not having any blaming of the officials on this one. The Bucks earned their win and the Celtics paid the price for getting beat on the boards in the closing seconds. With the Bucks down 1 and 14.2 seconds left, Milwaukee’s Bobby Portis had a HUGE offensive rebound and put-back of a Giannis Antetokounmpo miss. The Bucks outrebounded the Celtics on the offensive glass, 17-5.

The Celtics did not play a horrible game Wednesday. But regrets will run deep if they don’t bounce back with two wins.

They led by 14 in the fourth quarter. At home.

It doesn’t get much worse than that.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
If they don't win this series -- that goes down as on of the 3-5 worst losses in team history.

Although -- I still think they can win it. In fact, I think they will.

Reactions: Fenway

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Game 5 in the second of a basketball game vs a game 7 at home for a championship is equaling stinging for you?

You are obvious a much bigger C's fan than a Bruin one.
Probably did take it too far comparing a game 7 of a cup final to a 2nd round series but the nba and nhl are two different leagues for what you can consider a championship contender. I could also at least console myself that for most of the last 14 seasons the Bruins had the chance to go on deep playoff runs, won the cup in 2011 and even after 2019 thought they still had a run or two in them.

Nba it can take a long time for windows to open and they can shut in a flash. If they beat Milwaukee i'm confident they will win the championship, stylistically they match up well against most of the teams still in the playoffs so to choke a 14 point 4th quarter lead that would have put them up 3-2 is going to hang around the franchise like a bad smell if they don't win the series. All it takes is for a group of stars to team up and the door leading to the finals gets slammed in your face if you don't have a Giannis or Lebron, it's what Kd did to the league when he joined Golden State and it's what Brooklyn should have done if injuries and Kyrie didn't ruin that and make Harden want out.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tatum and Smart believe they are elite players - they still could be but they have to earn it.

The Bucks are the defending CHAMPS and they pounced on Celtic mistakes in the last 3 minutes.

Reactions: DangleCity

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think there’s absolutely no doubt Tatum is a star player, he just dominated Kevin Durant

Smart is delusional if he thinks he’s a star player

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Smart just was extended in the off season and is the defacto PG, none of those you mentioned are coming here Conley seems to like Utah and that duo with Mitchell

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Conley may like Utah but do they like him now? Eh Brogdon is definitely available and probably cheap. Rubio is Rubio........ You should read more.
you don't know the way this roster is constructed, what exactly has any of Conley, Brogdon or Rubio won since entering the league..... Brogdon got replaced by the Bucks by the guy who shut the door defensively last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad