Speculation: 2022 Offseason Roster Discussion

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don't view the Hagel trade as the move that broke that back. He was a solid player, hardly anything Earth shattering to lose and the haul was too good to pass up. There are plenty of solid FA's available this year, Hawks aren't going to sit by with $20 mil plus in space (or whatever it comes to be) when they don't technically even have a first round pick this year. I am not saying blindly piss that cap space away, but they can make some significant moves and show Kane and the fanbase Rocky is so scared to lose they are still fighting.
We'll know in two weeks if the Blackhawks have their first next year.

What kind of significant moves?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
We'll know in two weeks if the Blackhawks have their first next year.

What kind of significant moves?
Well, significant to us lol.

I imagine Ryan Strome is a serious name here and someone they would want to bring in to play with his brother. Bryan Rust is another player that we desperately need here, motor never stops type of player. Even someone like Frankie Vatrano could do really well here. Colin Blackwell as a gritty 2 way player I like.. All of them are as of today under 30 years old...

Defensively there isn't much out there that we should go after but offensively we could solidify a strong group here especially adding a couple 2-way forwards.

Would anyone turn down Claude Giroux for $12 mil for 2 years - $6mil aav???

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Well, significant to us lol.

I imagine Ryan Strome is a serious name here and someone they would want to bring in to play with his brother. Bryan Rust is another player that we desperately need here, motor never stops type of player. Even someone like Frankie Vatrano could do really well here. Colin Blackwell as a gritty 2 way player I like.. All of them are as of today under 30 years old...

Defensively there isn't much out there that we should go after but offensively we could solidify a strong group here especially adding a couple 2-way forwards.

Would anyone turn down Claude Giroux for $12 mil for 2 years - $6mil aav???

Spending that cap space to bring in guys to change the culture is the best move. This team doesn't work hard enough to beat anyone.

Reactions: Njfj

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Spending that cap space to bring in guys to change the culture is the best move. This team doesn't work hard enough to beat anyone.
Yep, look at the Kings. They were a dumpster fire and now here they are. They went out and got some guys like Danault, Edler, Arvidsson, etc. Solid veterans that really picked up their core. Their top young players aren't even the ones leading the charge either. They changed a lot of that team even with some veterans they kept. Players bought in and here they are. They might not be the sexiest to watch but no reason we can't be like them next year. Quick has been solid for them, but nothing Earth shattering.

We need a strong willed coach who motivates. We need a system the team buys in. We need some veterans brought in through free agency to change the culture. Throwing in the towel is simply not an option, not in this city, not if Rocky wants to remain remotely relevant.

Reactions: Njfj

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yep, look at the Kings. They were a dumpster fire and now here they are. They went out and got some guys like Danault, Edler, Arvidsson, etc. Solid veterans that really picked up their core. Their top young players aren't even the ones leading the charge either. They changed a lot of that team even with some veterans they kept. Players bought in and here they are. They might not be the sexiest to watch but no reason we can't be like them next year. Quick has been solid for them, but nothing Earth shattering.

We need a strong willed coach who motivates. We need a system the team buys in. We need some veterans brought in through free agency to change the culture. Throwing in the towel is simply not an option, not in this city, not if Rocky wants to remain remotely relevant.
Can they really get cup level good again without bottoming out?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I tell you, revisionists around here. I remember it, it was more than just 2-3 posters as well....glad you do as well.
I preferred Hamilton to Jones, but that was a) because he only cost money and b) I actually didn't know how shitty xG models were at the time. Just like a lot of smart posters said, Hamilton's defensive value took a dive after leaving Carolina.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

They simply can't be this bad, and this unwatchable. You can be bad, and entertaining. At least be competitive. I'm a huge hockey guy, and I'd rather go hang out at Johnny's and watch a couple of the better teams play, than watch the Hawks pretend to give a shit and play f***ing rat hockey. There's just nothing drawing me to the UC. Ticket prices are only the beginning. The atmosphere sucks. They've transformed the place into a giant bar, and you are surrounded by drunken bros and chicks facetiming the whole game. Beer prices are absurd. Food prices are ridiculous. The whole experience just sucks.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Does anyone think Nichuskin or Burakovsky would be a good option if moving on from Kubalik?
If they land Kuzmenko they definitely want an established russian player to help ease him in and get acclimated to nhl life in America. Not sure what the other options are though.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Hell of a lot better than Hamilton which some posters wanted us to throw the bank at....
Jones hasn't been nearly as good as Jones fans claim him to be. On D-zone he hasn't been good and many games he has been more problem than solution. Still our best d-man but not worth the prize neither trade nor contract.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Jones hasn't been nearly as good as Jones fans claim him to be. On D-zone he hasn't been good and many games he has been more problem than solution. Still our best d-man but not worth the prize neither trade nor contract.
The difference is Jones will look better if his pairing options are improved. Anyone who thought either option would be plug & play and instantly make any pairing look elite was overestimating their impact.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
They simply can't be this bad, and this unwatchable. You can be bad, and entertaining. At least be competitive. I'm a huge hockey guy, and I'd rather go hang out at Johnny's and watch a couple of the better teams play, than watch the Hawks pretend to give a shit and play f***ing rat hockey. There's just nothing drawing me to the UC. Ticket prices are only the beginning. The atmosphere sucks. They've transformed the place into a giant bar, and you are surrounded by drunken bros and chicks facetiming the whole game. Beer prices are absurd. Food prices are ridiculous. The whole experience just sucks.
12.5 dollars for a bud lite/michelob ultra. You can get a twelve pack for that price easily. Its absolutely insane.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
What a waste of $200+ that was for the NHL live package. Pathetic group of losers this year and they will be a pathetic group next year, from players to ownership, bunch of clueless disorganized losers.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

But the Hawks don't have the future talent to even be hopeful for a future if that happened. They at least have several top 10, two top 5 talents that are capable of rising to stardom to continue what they have this year.

Hawks don't need that direction yet without the talent.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
12.5 dollars for a bud lite/michelob ultra. You can get a twelve pack for that price easily. Its absolutely insane.

Right. Meanwhile, I drank a 24 ounce Stella draft at Bridgestone Arena for....13 bucks. Which is still not cheap, but it's just a bit more than normal bar prices. To be expected at a sporting event.

Last I was at the UC, hot dogs were still like 8 bucks...?

The Blackhawks have a lot of work to do if they don't want to go back to the dark days of 4000 people in the stands.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
But the Hawks don't have the future talent to even be hopeful for a future if that happened. They at least have several top 10, two top 5 talents that are capable of rising to stardom to continue what they have this year.

Hawks don't need that direction yet without the talent.
We have 2 first round picks in 2023 and 2024...2 second rounder and 3 third rounders this year - you can build up assets pretty fast if we do it right. You are signing players for 3-5 years on the open market, in order to justify the prices at the UC there is ZERO chance in hell they don't go out shopping this offseason and bring in a number of new talented faces.

They need some positive buzz, they need to bring excitement back...wait 3 years and let's see how some of these picks turn out isn't going to cut it as far as the Hawks have fallen in the city.

Sign Ryan Strome, Bryan Rust & Frank Vatrano - go find a damn coach and goalie.

That isn't anything crazy but can easily change the team around from top to bottom.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
We have 2 first round picks in 2023 and 2024...2 second rounder and 3 third rounders this year - you can build up assets pretty fast if we do it right. You are signing players for 3-5 years on the open market, in order to justify the prices at the UC there is ZERO chance in hell they don't go out shopping this offseason and bring in a number of new talented faces.

They need some positive buzz, they need to bring excitement back...wait 3 years and let's see how some of these picks turn out isn't going to cut it as far as the Hawks have fallen in the city.

Sign Ryan Strome, Bryan Rust & Frank Vatrano - go find a damn coach and goalie.

That isn't anything crazy but can easily change the team around from top to bottom.

Between the Beach shit, the atmosphere, the price, the lack of competitiveness, and the front office changeover and uncertainty, this team is looking at some dark days ahead, attendance wise. They need to spend that cap space and bring guys in to change the culture, and at least make this team fun to watch. I haven't seen Blackhawks interest this low in Chicago since the early 2000's. You're not getting hockey people out to watch this disgrace of a team as it stands.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Between the Beach shit, the atmosphere, the price, the lack of competitiveness, and the front office changeover and uncertainty, this team is looking at some dark days ahead, attendance wise. They need to spend that cap space and bring guys in to change the culture, and at least make this team fun to watch. I haven't seen Blackhawks interest this low in Chicago since the early 2000's. You're not getting hockey people out to watch this disgrace of a team as it stands.
It has been a rough ride. This team was the darling of the city for 10 years now in danger of fading into oblivion.

The entire Beach nonsense this year set the team up from the get go with nothing but negativity. Next year at least that crap won't be around for camp and will have a chance to come out the gate positive. But for this reason as well as ticket prices, beverages, food, merch, etc everything you stated what the costs are at the UC...they cannot sit idle, they need to spend near the cap on hard working players.

They have to bring in new faces and a new culture here. Toews if not traded needs to have the C removed. You cannot have your captain bitching about things like he does. I will always love Toews, but this team has very little fire and he is part of that problem. He needs to be leading the kids as well as Kane, Murphy, Jones, etc...

I have to really look into what coaches are out there as I am tired of retreads but King is definitely not the answer here either. And oh yeah, we need a f***ing goalie. At this point just throw $$$ at Jack Campbell, f*** it.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
It has been a rough ride. This team was the darling of the city for 10 years now in danger of fading into oblivion.

The entire Beach nonsense this year set the team up from the get go with nothing but negativity. Next year at least that crap won't be around for camp and will have a chance to come out the gate positive. But for this reason as well as ticket prices, beverages, food, merch, etc everything you stated what the costs are at the UC...they cannot sit idle, they need to spend near the cap on hard working players.

They have to bring in new faces and a new culture here. Toews if not traded needs to have the C removed. You cannot have your captain bitching about things like he does. I will always love Toews, but this team has very little fire and he is part of that problem. He needs to be leading the kids as well as Kane, Murphy, Jones, etc...

I have to really look into what coaches are out there as I am tired of retreads but King is definitely not the answer here either. And oh yeah, we need a f***ing goalie. At this point just throw $$$ at Jack Campbell, f*** it.

Lmao. No. The "bitching" comes out from the competitive fire. You're not stripping the C from the greatest captain in franchise history. What a clown-ass thing that would be to do.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Lmao. No. The "bitching" comes out from the competitive fire. You're not stripping the C from the greatest captain in franchise history. What a clown-ass thing that would be to do.
The only cure here is a total rebuild and that will take many years.
I would like 2 or 3 guys from the 3rd wave of UFA’s. The 1st group are generally the superstars getting stupidly big money and years. The 2nd group are a step below but also overpaid and too much term.

I’d like to see Davidson step in after that. Grab a couple of guys who thought they should be in the 2nd group. Overpay them on 1 year deals.
1) The player may feel he gets another bite at the apple after getting top 6 minutes in Chicago.
2) Chicago stays somewhat competitive and avoids a 70 loss season.
3) These types of players are very moveable at the TDL to good teams for draft assets to help the rebuild.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
This team needs to bottom out.

If I'm Kyle Davidson, I'm not signing any free agents (outside our own). Only bring in guys other teams want to dump with prospects/picks coming back our way.

Focus on being awful for the next few seasons and hope that you have built up the organizational depth enough that you can get good soon after that. 2026 is the organization's 100th anniversary, which would be quite the season to turn it around if things go right (not that they should have that exact of a timeline, but just that it would be nice to have things start turning around at that time).

Reactions: BK

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He is f***ing gone after next year. Who gives a shit about what he did years ago he isn't in the team's future....he doesn't need to wear the C if he wants to whine here ... Also most the board wants him dealt as well...oh no, how could they trade a legend! LMAO...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad